Author Topic: Dox KB, Build your own!  (Read 205614 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:35:29 »
Quote from: bloodygood;470730
There are already holes in the PCB and holes in the plate, screw them in shallow and finish screwing them in once they are correctly aligned to the holes in the poker case.
Screw top of plate to standoff. insert all mx switches and solder them to pcb. finish screwing into case.
does that make sense?

How would youy screw the plate to a standoff they would be best hollow as screwing all the way through something just to get to something else is hard and point less though yes it would solve the problem that I listed.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #651 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:37:04 »
come on guys, think outside the box :P or rather.. the poker

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #652 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:37:49 »
Quote from: ishtob;470733
i think both of you are missed what i was trying to do :P

i'm not saying we stand off to the case, we are standing off the PCB on seperate holes, so we can still screw the keybaord on based on those PCB positions, it will be like:

Plate -> stand off on PCB ---THEN--- PCB +plate screwed into the board. so the assembly would already be solid freestanding, now we can just screw the whole thing in and not worry about placing standoffs and screws in without it falling out of place
here's a text diagram if you still don't get it:
plate ---==-----plate----------------------------==------<----usual spot for the screw
.............| <--- standoff + screwed to pcb......|  <--- screw to case
PCB-----------------------------------------------==-------------PCB
...........==<-- bolt for screw from plate........|  <--- screw to case (same screw as the above through PCB)
case----------------------------------------------== <-- bolt on the case

your saying have a plastic standoff and have a screw on the plate and one on the PCB that would work but where to find the standoffs?

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #653 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:38:48 »
smallparts.com

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #654 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:41:42 »
We are all talking about the same kind of standoffs right..?
I was referring to these (obviously generic images, but the idea is the same)

but I get the feeling you were referring to these
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #655 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:42:06 »
Well the poker case is designed to be screwed into so you'd be modifying the case and removing the brass nutsert.  Does the case have feet?  You wouldn't be able to use a countersunk screw if there's no feet.

There is no way to do what's in your diagram, the same screw cannot be used to firmly secure the plate and the pcb unless the standoff is a simple unthreaded tube.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #656 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:43:13 »
Quote from: ishtob;470741
smallparts.com

alright so whats the distance between the plate and PCB i know its a standard and what size screws are we going to use?

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #657 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:45:11 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;470751
alright so whats the distance between the plate and PCB i know its a standard and what size screws are we going to use?

I get the feeling the standard size is based somewhere on this page
http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #658 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 15:11:03 »
exact measurement between the bottom of the plate to the PCB should be 0.13435039 +/- 0.012 inches ... but i like metric so it's 3.4125mm +/- 0.3mm

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #659 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 15:12:07 »
so my keyboard has PCB mounted switches that are also plate mounted... do you think that might effect the feel?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #660 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 16:35:11 »
Quote from: ishtob;470741
smallparts.com

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #661 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 17:26:01 »
dont know what to use there yet, but i do know the case's bolts take the metric size M2 screws

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #662 on: Wed, 21 December 2011, 00:47:23 »
I just got some more parts in for the switches and have started desoldering them from the pcbs they came on to make ergo clears. Hows the pcb design comming along? Should i start ordering things like the teensy so i will be ready to test the PCB?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #663 on: Fri, 23 December 2011, 13:39:07 »
Well Ireceived my second poker case today along with some PCBs with switches on so I am good to go in both departments at least for the DOXs.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #664 on: Sun, 25 December 2011, 09:30:15 »
cool, sorry i've been busy with family stuff for christmas season, ill get the PCB layout done soon.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #665 on: Sun, 25 December 2011, 15:57:02 »
Quote from: ishtob;477507
cool, sorry i've been busy with family stuff for christmas season, ill get the PCB layout done soon.
Alright sounds good I will need 2 in the end. how are we sitting on the plates once we finalize a design i will forward the design to the correct people to get it ordered. Also the min order for that is 2 of the same design so I am good since I need 2.

Offline Pyrolistical

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #666 on: Sat, 31 December 2011, 04:15:22 »
Hey, how thick of the sheet metal did are you using for the case design?  Looks like 1/8"?

I tried loading the eMachineShop file, but that failed in error.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #667 on: Sat, 31 December 2011, 04:17:37 »
Quote from: Pyrolistical;480889
Hey, how thick of the sheet metal did are you using for the case design?  Looks like 1/8"?

I tried loading the eMachineShop file, but that failed in error.
You might want to PM DOX about that because with the current design we are using the case from a Poker.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #668 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 03:03:21 »
So where are we sitting after the holidays?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #669 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 15:38:59 »
I think I may want to make my DOX more like the 7bit Phantom the only adaptation left would be the short enter key which I think that I will go with if thats possible because then I dont have to worry about the transition at all also the arrow are then in a much more comfortable place.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #670 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 00:24:40 »
Started up a assembly service in my subforum if anyone is interested.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #671 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 06:58:26 »
anyone knows a PCB program that allow those overlapping holes, to allow the various placing of the switches?

at this point the person who wish to go with the alternate positions would be left to drill the holes themselves because expresspcb's software wont allow overlapping holes

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #672 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 07:14:52 »
Quote from: ishtob;492335
anyone knows a PCB program that allow those overlapping holes, to allow the various placing of the switches?

at this point the person who wish to go with the alternate positions would be left to drill the holes themselves because expresspcb's software wont allow overlapping holes

There is no possibility to have oval/slot holes? Otherwise I think all the common gerber producing softwares are able to do oval/slot holes. I did this on the phantom PCB by calculating the width and position of the slot holes needed, and then added those holes while removing the ordinary ones at those footprints overlapping.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #673 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 07:40:40 »
ExpressPCB is the Etcha-Sketch of PCB cad...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #674 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 07:43:46 »
hm.. an of them mac compatible?

i am using wine to run ExpressPCB and its few of the software that actually works in that virtual enviroment... is there some plugin I can use, since I have autoCAD and is competent with it

Offline bpiphany

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #675 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 07:51:24 »
KiCAD is what I use, experimental on Mac it says... I ran parts of it (the windows version then of course) under wine to access the bitmap2footprint converter which is not available in the Linux version =P

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #676 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 09:07:46 »
Here is my updated DOX layout. Sorry about changing it again but I wanted it to be as close to my 7bit Phantom layout as possible. It is now nearly 100% the same and wont be changing again.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #677 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:47:39 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;492404
Here is my updated DOX layout. Sorry about changing it again but I wanted it to be as close to my 7bit Phantom layout as possible. It is now nearly 100% the same and wont be changing again.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

You better not be changing it! jkjk.

= D
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #678 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 10:59:46 »
Quote from: hazeluff;492498
You better not be changing it! jkjk.

= D
thanks again you all the help with the WASD template hopefully itll come to fruition on my DOX

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #679 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 11:07:33 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;492518
thanks again you all the help with the WASD template hopefully itll come to fruition on my DOX

Now worries. ^_^

Also I've suddenly become really interested in getting a DOX/Phantom. Maybe after I graduate and have the time ><. Damn you geekhack, you have taken my soul and my money.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #680 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 21:43:34 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;492404

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

i'll get working on this soon as i figure out a better PCB program :P

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #681 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 21:58:58 »
Quote from: ishtob;493068
i'll get working on this soon as i figure out a better PCB program :P

awesome thanks. Also I just though if something when a layer is toggled you cant access the default layer i think so that means that layer 2 is going to need to have all the functions that it hasnt changed of the default layer but thats something well have to figure out when the time comes.

Also where is hazus firmware for the DOX again im trying to find it to share with the Phantom project.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2012, 22:01:16 by TheProfosist »

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #682 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 13:49:46 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;493079
awesome thanks. Also I just though if something when a layer is toggled you cant access the default layer i think so that means that layer 2 is going to need to have all the functions that it hasnt changed of the default layer but thats something well have to figure out when the time comes.

Also where is hazus firmware for the DOX again im trying to find it to share with the Phantom project.
You changed your DOX layout in order to match the phantom layout? Why not just get 2 Phantoms then. I kind of thought the point of the DOX was to be more HHKB like. I am not trying to judge or anything like that, I am just saying it seemed a little strange to me to want to completely change from a DOX style to a Phantom.

I still like my layout I posted a while back but I will link back to it once ishtob has looked into the new PCB program. Glad to see this project is starting to get some push behind it again.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #683 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 22:30:42 »
i think what were trying to do now is to get every option into 1 design... its kinda setting me back cuz now i need to learn a new program.... KiCAD seems promising

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #684 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 22:31:55 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;493079

All i need to do is to copy the default layer to the toggled layer, then change the keys to the ones you want "toggled" and it will appear as if the default layer is still there, even though the whole board is now swapped out.

Offline bpiphany

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #685 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 02:43:05 »
Quote from: ishtob;493790
i think what were trying to do now is to get every option into 1 design... its kinda setting me back cuz now i need to learn a new program.... KiCAD seems promising

Read through my design guide. KiCAD is pretty simple to get the hang of. Just ask me if you run into problems.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #686 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 09:39:35 »
Quote from: bloodygood;493474
You changed your DOX layout in order to match the phantom layout? Why not just get 2 Phantoms then. I kind of thought the point of the DOX was to be more HHKB like. I am not trying to judge or anything like that, I am just saying it seemed a little strange to me to want to completely change from a DOX style to a Phantom.

I still like my layout I posted a while back but I will link back to it once ishtob has looked into the new PCB program. Glad to see this project is starting to get some push behind it again.

I wil be using my Phantom on my desk at home and the DOX on the go at school and with my laptop I do the same kthing with my 87UB 45g and my HHKB currently.
Well yes both have the layout based on my original DOX layout so their both HHKB like. Think of my Phantom as a HHKB with a number pad, I chaned the Phantom layout to my liking as well.

My DOX Layout | My Phantom Layout

Quote from: ishtob;493790

I dont know if we really need to do that. I do know that I do need 2 PCBs that will work with my layout though. Yes, I heard thats what they used for the Phantom.

Quote from: ishtob;493791
All i need to do is to copy the default layer to the toggled layer, then change the keys to the ones you want "toggled" and it will appear as if the default layer is still there, even though the whole board is now swapped out.

Sounds good glad the firware is sorta figured out now I need to find out if someone can do the same for my Phantom layout.

Quote from: PrinsValium;493899
Read through my design guide. KiCAD is pretty simple to get the hang of. Just ask me if you run into problems.

Thanks for the offer to help, we can use it!

Offline bpiphany

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #687 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 10:40:36 »
Here is the best scan I was able to get of the poker PCB. The components move the PCB out of focus, but it might still be good enough to at least confirm mounting hole locations from.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #688 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 11:21:00 »
Thanks should help those of use that dont have a poker.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #689 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 08:50:48 »
Looks like the Phantom Groupbuy is closing up, so lets try to get moving on the DOX if possible. I think I may have a place where we can get plates in my area im looking into it now with my Phantom plate file.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #690 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 19:39:52 »
would like to get a trackpoint into this project. how open are designers to keeping enough room open on the board/plate for adding a nubbin via daughterboard ? doing so would also probably require some extra design time for nailing trackpoint control and fitment down. willing to drive cad/controller development for this feature if people are open to it.

this would presumably be unicomp's version of the nub device, for those who care.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #691 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 00:37:09 »
Quote from: mkawa;503706
would like to get a trackpoint into this project. how open are designers to keeping enough room open on the board/plate for adding a nubbin via daughterboard ? doing so would also probably require some extra design time for nailing trackpoint control and fitment down. willing to drive cad/controller development for this feature if people are open to it.

this would presumably be unicomp's version of the nub device, for those who care.

I like the idea but i would just like to get a dox in my hands before adding anything else to it.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #692 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 00:33:36 »
sorry for the delay.. classes' been pretty busy, and mid terms coming up, not sure when I'll have to time to work on the layouts

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #693 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 14:55:51 »
I wanna see this move forward = p. I've been here a couple months and not much has gone on ; p

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #694 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 20:52:33 »
Quote from: ishtob;504998
sorry for the delay.. classes' been pretty busy, and mid terms coming up, not sure when I'll have to time to work on the layouts

:( I was hoping to have this soon as the Phantom will soon be shipping. do you think anyone else would be able to take off from where you left off in your stead?

Quote from: hazeluff;505496
I wanna see this move forward = p. I've been here a couple months and not much has gone on ; p

yea we were moving really fast initially but I understand classes can be a *****.. would you have any knowledge in the art of routing PCBs?

Offline byFd

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #695 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 04:22:49 »
i am more interested in this than the phantom :D
since i'm recently into the poker like layout :)

probably gonna need Mr Profosist to assemble it.

would it be able to somehow to a wireless mod/addon to it?
since i'm thinking that it would be a good use in the living room for my ps3 or maybe xbox or whatever console
White Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless MX Browns
White Noppoo Choc Mini MX Reds
KBC Poker X MX Reds

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #696 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 08:28:11 »
Quote from: byFd;506217
i am more interested in this than the phantom :D
since i'm recently into the poker like layout :)

probably gonna need Mr Profosist to assemble it.

would it be able to somehow to a wireless mod/addon to it?
since i'm thinking that it would be a good use in the living room for my ps3 or maybe xbox or whatever console
that can be arranged I do have an assembly thread http://tinyurl.com/7eyjsvw and if your interested please pm me so that we can arrange something.

I would like that mod as well but i think that we are better off developing the core of this keyboard first and starting up a separate project for making wireless adapter for keyboards controlled by teensy's.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #697 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 00:23:01 »
Wow we sure did lose alot of this thread didnt we. I there any way that we could build a mini Phantom. Something exactly like the Phantoms PCB but only the main cluster of keys?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #698 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 00:41:35 »
i think the question remains the same: where do the chips and wiring go without going SMD (or who will volunteer to design and help coordinate production if we do?)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #699 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 00:52:35 »
Quote from: mkawa;509001
i think the question remains the same: where do the chips and wiring go without going SMD (or who will volunteer to design and help coordinate production if we do?)
Well the design that isotab had had the controller under the spacebar but this would only work if a spacebar was mandatory part of the design. you could fit one on the backside of the PCB if everyone had Plastic cases and was willing to modify them. I have never done SMD before I may very well be able to do it once I learn how and have the time the main constraint would then be time which I dont have much of.