Author Topic: Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)  (Read 350934 times)

Offline whiskerBox

Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 16:21:46 »
I also found this site that makes custom bolts for skateboards and BMX bikes they dont have quite as many choices but they price is great 10 - 25 cents a bolt. much cheaper.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34790[/ATTACH]http://www.mudgehardware.com/

But that got me thinking about custom skateboard screws and how cheap they were so I thought I would check out CCS.com where I found these. Now they aren't as nice as the ones previously posted but I think that they would be more than good enough for this and they come in a variety of colors. Most of them come in a kit of 8 (for a skateboard) so you would have to buy multiple kits but they are like $4 a kit so very reasonable.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34791[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34792[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34793[/ATTACH]

http://shop.ccs.com/searchresults/?N=780+478&cm=Skate
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #601 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 16:24:58 »
Investigator Whiskers :cool:
Keyboardless

Offline trax

« Reply #602 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 16:40:17 »
Would be cool if the screws matched the acrylic at the side (listers last case).
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #603 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 16:50:47 »
Thanks for the links whiskerBox.  These screws are nice.  But I don't think they will fit because they only have one size and length.  This is what I think I will need:

Exposed screws and nuts:
5x front: M3 20mm length ~ 3/4"
8x rear: M3 28mm length ~ 1/ 1/8"

mcmaster.com doesn't seem to have 28mm long M3 screws.  The closest in inches would be1 1/8 inches 4-40 screws

Sunken screws and nuts (not going to do this due to gluing required):
M3 15mm ~ 9/16" (mcmaster.com has not even number length screws)
M3 23mm ~ 15/16"(mcmaster.com has not even number length screws)

I have been using 4-40 screws.  I think M3 in metric is the closest.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 December 2011, 00:56:01 by litster »

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #604 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 17:23:57 »
Fastner express has the 20mm bolts but I am unsure if they have 28mm I will try to find out later. Maybe I will call them once you figure out exactly what you need and we can setup a kit through them for the phantom.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #605 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 00:17:21 »
Alright update since the PLU is a confirmed match to the Filco I have just bought 3 from qtan for the Phantoms that I am building. I asked him if I could offer you guys the same price and he said yes, so $68 it is. I order white with blues. O and I believe you save more on shipping the bulkier you buy and how you ship I had him ship to his warehouse then to me saving me $10 since were not in a hurry.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #606 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 00:29:46 »
whoa i haven't come in here in awhile. those cases look good.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline litster

« Reply #607 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 00:56:47 »
Thanks demik.  I should be making a third version which should be close to final.  Now that I can cut screws at whatever length I need, I think I have most of the final pieces I need.  Now, if I could find 4-40 lock nuts in black color, I will be golden!

TheProfosist, great idea!  Now, I think PLU is 95% Filco in design (except with crappy PCB and only 2, 3KRO).  But I don't think we are certain that PLU is 100% compatible.  When will you receive your PLU?  When you receive your PLU, will you be able to open up a Filco and put the Filco innards inside the PLU case?  Then we will for sure know that they are compatible or not.

How much is shipping?  That is a good price in that you get a case, switches, stabilizers, *and* an ANSI 1.25x plate.  PLU is plate-mount, is it?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #608 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 01:05:24 »
Quote from: litster;470315
Thanks demik.  I should be making a third version which should be close to final.  Now that I can cut screws at whatever length I need, I think I have most of the final pieces I need.  Now, if I could find 4-40 lock nuts in black color, I will be golden!

TheProfosist, great idea!  Now, I think PLU is 95% Filco in design (except with crappy PCB and only 2, 3KRO).  But I don't think we are certain that PLU is 100% compatible.  When will you receive your PLU?  When you receive your PLU, will you be able to open up a Filco and put the Filco innards inside the PLU case?  Then we will for sure know that they are compatible or not.

How much is shipping?  That is a good price in that you get a case, switches, stabilizers, *and* an ANSI 1.25x plate.  PLU is plate-mount, is it?
Sadly I dont have a Filco and never will. As a reminder you did say

Quote from: litster;468107
Thanks for the measurements.  They match Filco's.

And thanks for the gentle reminder, TheProfosist.  :-)

So i can provide additional measurements if needed once I get them but to me eyeballing the pictures they looked the same. If someone even somewhat near me has a Filco that can before opened up I would be wiling to do a test swap though I doubt that to be the case. The shipping for my 3 boards was going to be 40$ but dropped down to $30 when I went through his us warehouse instead of being shipped directly to me.

Offline litster

« Reply #609 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 01:12:05 »
Yes, the measurements match, but that is without physically putting Filco innards inside a PLU case to confirm.  PLU is so much cheaper, it is very like they cut some corners.  They will probably fit, but we are not 100% sure.  I just don't want people to spend money to get the PLU and end up not being a match with Filco.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #610 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 01:17:50 »
Quote from: litster;470321
Yes, the measurements match, but that is without physically putting Filco innards inside a PLU case to confirm.  PLU is so much cheaper, it is very like they cut some corners.  They will probably fit, but we are not 100% sure.  I just don't want people to spend money to get the PLU and end up not being a match with Filco.
Would measurements of the PCB be of any help? And as I said I would be willing to drive a bit to solve this mystery but only and hour or 2. Im located in south eastern WI or im willing to buy one if I can get one cheap I can always resell later after this has all been figured out.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #611 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 12:31:22 »
Anyone that has a Filco wiling to buy a PLU as its much cheaper this was than me buying a Filco just to take apart and not use.

Offline litster

« Reply #612 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 16:39:09 »
With sunken, black-oxide hex cap screws:

The piano black finish does attract finger prints though.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #613 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:29:58 »
It looks amazing, though the 6 screws at the top seems a little bit overkill.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #614 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:32:40 »
That looks really good litster! I see all the hard work has paid off
Keyboardless

Offline litster

« Reply #615 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:36:35 »
Quote from: RiGS;470938
It looks amazing, though the 6 screws at the top seems a little bit overkill.

Quote from: tsangan;470940
That looks really good litster! I see all the hard work has paid off

Thanks guys.  I need 2 screw up top in the middle to screw down the USB cable tight.  This case is a one off though.  The actual one that I want to make for more units will have exposed screws and nuts, not sunken.  I don't think exposed screws are worth the gluing trouble.

Edit:
I am typing on it now.  I am so proud or myself!  LOL!
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:38:53 by litster »

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #616 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:40:36 »
Quote from: litster;470944
Thanks guys.  I need 2 screw up top in the middle to screw down the USB cable tight.  This case is a one off though.  The actual one that I want to make for more units will have exposed screws and nuts, not sunken.  I don't think exposed screws are worth the gluing trouble.

I guess that if people want sunken screws that they could do this on there own after the fact as well.

Offline litster

« Reply #617 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:45:34 »
you would have to drill the top layer and the bottom later to expand the holes.  I would not recommend that.  You could ruin the pieces.  I haven't found an effective way to glue them (altogether 6 layers, glue top and 2nd layer, 3rd and 4th layer, and 5th and bottom layer).  It is very time consuming and prone to error, messing up the case with glue.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #618 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:46:11 »
I actually love all the screws on it, makes it look more industrial haha
Keyboardless

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #619 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:48:42 »
Quote from: litster;470949
you would have to drill the top layer and the bottom later to expand the holes.  I would not recommend that.  You could ruin the pieces.  I haven't found an effective way to glue them (altogether 6 layers, glue top and 2nd layer, 3rd and 4th layer, and 5th and bottom layer).  It is very time consuming and prone to error, messing up the case with glue.

Well right off the bat I can tell you that I wouldn't take this risk of damaging a case that was so expensive, I would just get some cool looking screws lol.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #620 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:51:14 »
Quote from: litster;470944

Edit:
I am typing on it now.  I am so proud or myself!  LOL!

That explains it.
Well you should be.

I wonder how they managed to secure this keyboard without the visible screws.

http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=album&wr_id=84853&page=29

Offline litster

« Reply #621 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:52:18 »
If this is a metal case, then screws can be screwed in from the bottom.

EDIT: Nope, it doesn't look like a metal case.  Maybe the top 3 layers are glued, and holes are tapped with threads and screw in from the bottom.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #622 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 00:38:28 »
I think that the screws give the case a stand-out quality.  If they must be there, then I think making too much effort to hide them would be like apologizing for their presence.  

Case looks awesome!
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline ped

« Reply #623 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 04:13:45 »
Can someone explain what the PHANTOM kit for $25 on r4 is? I've been looking about and can't figure it out.

Also, litster, I'm not sure what you mean by exposed screws but wouldn't that interfere and make it so your hands/wrists brush against them? I'm sure you've taken that into account but just checking.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #624 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 09:23:16 »
Litster: I thought that was an OTD case, so I didn't post. It's amazing!

I just spent hours drilling my AMP chassis from PMMA (acrylic) no errors, but it was a pain! the bit kept sticking, so forgive me if I'm not enthusiastic about having to tap or ream to the holes more for sunken screws. Either it's available on arrival, or not: I'll be very happy with exposed screwheads. They looks better, too.

Also, I was thinking of nuts/bolts. I wouldn't matter the length then: you can just have the extra bolt length sticking up. This is what I did with my amp (bolts and angle brackets) and it turned out well.

Offline litster

« Reply #625 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 11:08:03 »
I should give an update.  First set of plates are done as you saw the pictures I posted. There are some minor adjustments that we decided to make another set of plates to confirm.  The plates are being made next week.

PrinsValim is giving the PCB design one more final check, and then we will order 2 test PCBs.   If we order PCBs next week, hopefully we will receive them just after the new year.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #626 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 11:14:51 »

Have you ever wondered why those Korean plates have so many extra holes?

Offline litster

« Reply #627 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 11:20:46 »
Quote from: ped;471209
Can someone explain what the PHANTOM kit for $25 on r4 is? I've been looking about and can't figure it out.

Also, litster, I'm not sure what you mean by exposed screws but wouldn't that interfere and make it so your hands/wrists brush against them? I'm sure you've taken that into account but just checking.

I think the PHANTOM kit in r4 is forthe7bit layout, or the phantom 1x win key and app key.  7bit will know for sure.

The screw heads on the top of the case would not interfere with your hands or fingers, at least not for me.

But Dorkvadar, if the screws are too long and stick out from the bottom, it would scratch your desk's surface.  I now cut the screws to length and use a low profile lock nut for each screw, so the case doesn't scratch desk surfaces.  I also use adhesive rubber feet so the nuts clear the desk surface completely.

I still need to make a few more design changes.  But, how many of you would order a case like this if it would cost $165 + shipping?  I am not actually sure how much it will cost to cut acrylic by a vendor, but that is a good guess if I made a small number of them, say 10 or so.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #628 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 11:24:42 »
Quote from: litster;472135

I still need to make a few more design changes.  But, how many of you would order a case like this if it would cost $165 + shipping?  I am not actually sure how much it will cost to cut acrylic by a vendor, but that is a good guess if I made a small number of them, say 10 or so.

Count me In I want one!!!!

Offline litster

« Reply #629 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 11:51:15 »
Quote from: RiGS;472132
Have you ever wondered why those Korean plates have so many extra holes?

I noticed that too.  They choose to cut out all the blank area.  That would make the plate more flexible, maybe it is to get the plate's stability and still have similar feel to PCB-mounted keyboards?

Offline RiGS

« Reply #630 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 12:15:23 »
Quote from: litster;472152
I noticed that too.  They choose to cut out all the blank area.  That would make the plate more flexible, maybe it is to get the plate's stability and still have similar feel to PCB-mounted keyboards?

I think it could help eliminate/reduce any ringing from the plate. Also it slightly decreases the weight of the plate, while keeping the stability, though I doubt it would flex.
Maybe some of the Korean members could enlight this.

Offline litster

« Reply #631 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 13:17:05 »
Quote from: ped;471209

According to http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round4#Prices_for_Kits, Phantom kit is a set of "keys for the 7BIT Phantom layout".

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #632 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 16:53:31 »
In for at least one maybe two :D
Keyboardless

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #633 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 18:40:00 »
Quote from: tsangan;472411
In for at least one maybe two :D

I am at least thinking about it.  The custom case is part of what intrigues me about this...
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #634 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 19:21:10 »
count me in for a case
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #635 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 21:34:57 »
I'm interested in the case if it'd work with the 7bit layout.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #636 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 00:08:51 »
I just want to say litster definitely had me sold on this project with that prototype case he made, I was unsure before as I had no Filco or PLU case to put this thing in, but now after his hard work I can definitely say I am in and cannot wait for this thing ;D
Keyboardless

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #637 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 18:25:22 »
But Dorkvadar, if the screws are too long and stick out from the bottom, it would scratch your desk's surface.  I now cut the screws to length and use a low profile lock nut for each screw, so the case doesn't scratch desk surfaces.  I also use adhesive rubber feet so the nuts clear the desk surface completely.
My preference is to have the screw head on the bottom (and not scratching that way) and to have the extra length stick out the top. Clearly it would need to be engineered for this from the outset, but I see it as the best solution if no custom-length screws can be had.

I just did the same thing for my amplifier chassis, which was made from acrylic (now I need to find a way to get the paper off it easily)

Offline litster

« Reply #638 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 18:56:12 »
I can now cut screws to length :-)  I just need good hand strength.

That rhythms!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #639 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 19:26:53 »
What are you using:  A hacksaw?

Offline litster

Offline litster

« Reply #641 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 22:12:01 »
Just made a opaque white case with transparent blue middle layers.  I think it would look pretty good with black keycaps.  I am still waiting for my new black oxide hex cap screws.  So I should be able to take some pictures on Monday night.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #642 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 00:33:16 »
Quote from: litster;473030
I am still waiting for my new black oxide hex cap screws.
Oh, I can get those locally: they're awesome.

Interestingly enough, they don't sell metric nuts to go with them, though.
---
The new case sounds great! I can't wait for pictures.

Offline zzspectrez

« Reply #643 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 21:46:05 »
Quote from: litster;470956

EDIT: Nope, it doesn't look like a metal case.  Maybe the top 3 layers are glued, and holes are tapped with threads and screw in from the bottom.

Did you know they make threaded plugs? I have seen a few different types. Some expand as you screw the screw into the plug securing it tight. Others can be glued in place, some are pressed. Basicly you would drill a hole into the top plate that the threaded plug would be pressed/glued into.

Here is an example product: http://www.ezlok.com/Home/index.html

Offline zzspectrez

« Reply #644 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 23:04:26 »
Quote from: litster;470956

Did you know they make threaded plugs that can be pressed into a hole drilled into plastics ( and other materials ) to make them threaded. There are a few types some are just plain pressed in and some also have a compression quality. As you screw the screw in the threaded plug presses out against the wall.

Offline litster

« Reply #645 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 23:05:36 »
Quote from: zzspectrez;473584
Did you know they make threaded plugs that can be pressed into a hole drilled into plastics ( and other materials ) to make them threaded. There are a few types some are just plain pressed in and some also have a compression quality. As you screw the screw in the threaded plug presses out against the wall.

Didn't know that.  Do you have a link to where I can buy some, or a link to a picture of it?  Thanks.

Offline litster

« Reply #646 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 00:03:25 »
Found this on mcmaster.com:  http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-inserts/=ffbndm

This seems to be the best I can find.  I am using 4-40 screws and would like to stay with 4-40.  Right now I am using thin lock nuts, with are only 1/8" thick.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #647 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 00:05:27 »
ebay is the only place I've found them so far.  The company 'Nutsert' makes ones specifically for plastic that don't require being thermally set, but I have yet to find a source in the US.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline litster

« Reply #648 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 00:06:50 »
This might work: http://www.tristar-inserts.com/press-in-inserts.htm

Specifically, the HP series.

Offline zzspectrez

« Reply #649 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 04:57:24 »
Quote from: litster;473585
Didn't know that.  Do you have a link to where I can buy some, or a link to a picture of it?  Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GPNIOW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001BHI3I2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04QD2MNFRWH5SA1YZRB3