Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 167754 times)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Would love someone to run a CCnB with these, but I guess the more traditional (boring) stuff first. ;-)  I'd volunteer, but running one group buy in a lifetime is plenty for me.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
I know everyone is impatient for this project to finish, no one more so than me.  I have no excuse except for busyness.  Work has been extra crazy for the last couple of months, so this has been on the back burner.  My goal is to have all the legends cut by Christmas.

The plan is still to finish the rest of the legends in one or two rounds, produce a full prototype set, and then do a Dolch replica group buy, and open up the legends for use by other GBs.  If you missed them, the latest prototypes, finished a few weeks ago, turned out really great.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
ME!

I would like one of lee's set :D

AND a CCnB!

EDIT: hash, which one is the original cherry?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus

:D :D :D

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)
« Reply #905 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 23:59:14 »
An RA set would be cool.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Definitely the black set.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
I think one set needs to be revived with the Cherry replica font....MIAMI!!! Who needs dark depressing dolch...when you can have hot and fun miami warming up your life! hah

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
An RA set would be cool.
red on dark grey. contrast is for suckers.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative

:D :D :D

Im guessing its the black set..........

That's the trick.  They are both prototypes...

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
ERRRRRRRRRR. Keycap-ception!

MIND BLOWN!  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Hey guys... I found out something, the original Cherry doubleshots source. Check out the cylindrical examples and they are still making them. Just need to negotiate with MOQ. Got the info straight from Cherry employee. F*CK the imitations.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Watch your mouth son, this is a family thread.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
I wanna see your two avatars go at it.   :eek:

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
So in light of the GMK brouhaha that is currently underway, it seems prudent to stop cutting new legends for the time being.  It remains to be seen how viable doing group buys via GMK will be, but if we end up being able to do full and partial sets with them, then the Replica project is pointless.

If we discover that GMK has constraints like a limited color palette, high MOQ, or high cost, then we may revive in the future and finish.  It all just remains to be seen.

If the project gets cancelled entirely, I will donate the remaining proceeds from the Red Cherry group buy to GH and KBM.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, I ordered a set of those.  We're just pausing for now to see what pans out.  I won't do anything rash until both the GMK and PBT 2-shots situations reveal themselves.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
In case the GMK deal pans out, I suggest that the funds raised here goes towards getting a few legends which GMK may be missing, like windows logo, GH, DT, KBM, OTD logos etc

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
In case the GMK deal pans out, I suggest that the funds raised here goes towards getting a few legends which GMK may be missing, like windows logo, GH, DT, KBM, OTD logos etc

That ... is actually a fantastic idea.  Hopefully it's doable. ;)

Offline fruktstund

• !
Just got reminded of this project, and got a question: will the font be available in any kind of font file (svg/ttf/otf/whatever) with a friendly license? I think I've seen someone write it before, but don't really know where.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
At this point it's not looking like it will even be finished thanks to GMK. :(

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
I'm seriously bummed by this, and would be happy to take it over, but pretty sure the senior GH council of cherry would prefer not.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
I'm seriously bummed by this, and would be happy to take it over, but pretty sure the senior GH council of cherry would prefer not.

Fat lady hasn't sung just yet...But really I think hash should weigh in on where he'd like to go from here.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
I also think this should go forward, as i3oilermaker does. I know we will probably get similar results by going with GMK for some things, but I don't think we should forget about Signature Plastics completely. They have worked with us to make the things we wanted possible. Hell, look at the center stemmed stepped caps lock as an example. They have short lead times, and their customer service is excellent. They are involved with this community on a personal level that a large, German company like GMK probably never will be. If I were to run a group buy for a full set of key caps at this moment in time, I would go with SP. Being able to use the Cherry font with SP can only benefit us, even if not for replica sets such as Dolch, etc. It simply gives us another font choice, other than SP's standard (WYSE) font legends.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
100% agree. Seems like MOQ and price could be quite a bit different too, so there would be plenty of reason to keep doing SP group buys. Not to mention possible PBT doubleshot options.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
I also think this should go forward, as i3oilermaker does. I know we will probably get similar results by going with GMK for some things, but I don't think we should forget about Signature Plastics completely. They have worked with us to make the things we wanted possible. Hell, look at the center stemmed stepped caps lock as an example. They have short lead times, and their customer service is excellent. They are involved with this community on a personal level that a large, German company like GMK probably never will be. If I were to run a group buy for a full set of key caps at this moment in time, I would go with SP. Being able to use the Cherry font with SP can only benefit us, even if not for replica sets such as Dolch, etc. It simply gives us another font choice, other than SP's standard (WYSE) font legends.

Completely agree.

Also, unless we stay interested in SP, SP won't stay interested in us.

And just as it does the community good to have a choice of supplier, so it will do the community good to have a choice in suppliers of Cherry-font keycaps.  These legends provide that choice.

Just my $.02,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy

Well said.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
It has been so long now that the pledges will all have to be reconfirmed.

I still think that it is a good idea.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Do we have any idea on GMK minimum order sizes for full sets? If it is the same as modifiers, number rows, etc I do not know of many full set group buys that have hit 400-500 sets. If it means ordering from GMK turns into over a year long group buy to try and hit the minimum order then I'm not sure it is worth it, and the cherry replica should just be completed. Plus signature plastics has more colors, and can get new colors for free if the order is large enough.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
A lot of the GMK stuff still isn't set in stone, for now, it would be best to continue as normal with this until we know what is going to happen.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Good to see so much support still.  The project is merely paused, not scrapped.  And from what we've seen from GMK so far, GBs with them will likely be difficult due to high MOQ.  That of course may change but then again it might not.

I suspect that we'll end up in a world of periodic large GMK sets that come out from vendors and/or multi-forum GBs, and smaller more nimble Cherry replica GBs from SP (hopefully using their new simplified order form and pricing).

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Yes, let's keep it going.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Yes, let's keep it going.

X2, lets keep this rolling !!!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
I say we should do this regardless of what we expect to happen with GMK, just in case.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Also let's get SP to add some deep purple  ;D

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
I actually really love the SP profile and would like to see a cherry font keyset made.  Really anything to replace the typeface on the modifiers. 
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
We should carry on the Cherry replica. It's more of a long-term investment for the community as we would still be organizing more GB from SP in future. We must remember that SP are incredibility flexible with custom designs and smaller GB which I highly doubt GMK would enterain.

Yes we all know Cherry(GMK) keycaps are hailed the best in the market but in reality, have anyone actually wear out SP keys from regular usage?
It's sad to see so many simply drop/forget SP once GMK was found.

You see, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. - Joker
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2012, 19:41:50 by squarebox »
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Cherry font, and bring back Miami I say. With the proposed MOQ with GMK, Miami is determined to be SP.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
From what I've been hearing (and some experience) SP's failing compared to GMK is the bottom row profile... that space bar has teeth.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Cherry font, and bring back Miami I say. With the proposed MOQ with GMK, Miami is determined to be SP.
Santa Scarlett GIRLSHARK WIZBRO Johansson Claus REALLY wants MIAMI!  give the man/boy/girl/shark what 'it' wants!  or he/she might put his/her wizard hat on backwards and use his/her powers for evil!! We all know SSGWJC's powers grow tenfold during the holiday season!!  THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! :eek:
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2012, 20:01:12 by YoungMichael88 »
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
Good to see so much support still.  The project is merely paused, not scrapped.  And from what we've seen from GMK so far, GBs with them will likely be difficult due to high MOQ.  That of course may change but then again it might not.

I suspect that we'll end up in a world of periodic large GMK sets that come out from vendors and/or multi-forum GBs, and smaller more nimble Cherry replica GBs from SP (hopefully using their new simplified order form and pricing).

That's great news hash! We all appreciate your continued efforts!

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline fruktstund

• !
My question remains unanswered:
Just got reminded of this project, and got a question: will the font be available in any kind of font file (svg/ttf/otf/whatever) with a friendly license? I think I've seen someone write it before, but don't really know where.
:>

I guess I agree that we should keep this up by the way. GMK is probably a great option for larger buys (for sets that a lot of people think look nice), but for smaller ones (with crazy colour options that maybe not as many like) this may be a better suited alternative.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
The legends will for sure be available for running GBs with, by anyone from any forum.  We decided early on against making it more broadly available in say a font file or as raw SVGs, but it's possible that we should reconsider in light of GMK resuming Cherry 2-shot production.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Start collection already, there are new people around to pickup in place of anyone that wants to withdraw. I say get err done!
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
I want to adopt the 'k' for obvious reasons :)

Offline Supergleep

I'm in to adopt an orphan key if anyone drops out. Still want to see this happen!
Filco Tenkeyless - Daily Driver  |  Filco Linear R - 87  | Filco 104 Ninja

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio

That ... is actually a fantastic idea.  Hopefully it's doable. ;)

Apparently Fn is missing too.

How many legends have been cut already? I am just asking to see how close we are to dolch, one way or the other.

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
  • www.Keypop.net [키팝.net]
I'll happily help pay for any needed legends.

Offline darksakul

• If it is not broken fix it until it is.
Any unclaimed keycaps left, if there isn't and where short on our goal I donate.
Look I adopt the red headed step child of the keycap the Windows Key
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.