Author Topic: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)  (Read 131676 times)

Offline dohboi

Re: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 18:03:11 »
I used to be like that, I was going to get the IceMat from Steelseries. Never did.

I used to like the Destructor and other Razer pads.

I am switching to soft pads now.

Just switched from a Razer Kabuto to a Steelseries 9HD since I have more desk real estate. The difference between cloth and plastic is night and day! I'm going to have to use this a little more before I can make a determination of which I like more, but right now playing on 2.5 sensitivity feels like 3.5. :p

I do feel like I'll be switching back to a cloth pad in the future though, but we'll see.

everyone should try a C4 NGen <3 their pads

Never heard of that brand but I'll take a look at them!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 18:15:25 »
Their site is cheaper than amazon but I am not sure about their shipping rates.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 18:23:54 »
Their site is cheaper than amazon but I am not sure about their shipping rates.
i think the shipping is reasonable. They also have more options on their site and you get slightly blemished pads for $8 if you just want to try the surface.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 18:56:44 »
Amazon seems to come with mouse feet. does their site come with mouse feet too?

What do you mean by blemished pads for $8?
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 19:32:56 »
Amazon seems to come with mouse feet. does their site come with mouse feet too?

What do you mean by blemished pads for $8?
no but you can buy the mouse feet separately

http://c4mousepads.com/Blems.htm

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 16:06:22 »
I'll be so glad to get rid of my garbage g13, freaking piece of crap. I was going to pay someone to mod it for me but I'd rather just buy this orbweaver. Perfect foot print for fps gamers who have a huge mousepad and play low sens and whip the mouse. Same concept as tkl for productivity. Better positioning IMO.
I like High sensitivity. Don't really see why people like Low sensitivity, but meh
It is used for precise movement and accuracy in professional FPS games.

Source: Former CoD4 ProMod Team Captain/Scope

Pretty much this. Ask any pro fps player how many inches for a 180 or 360. I used to be high sens until I learned how to play low sens.
Some of us still don't really like having to move the mouse two feet just to do a 180. Bit of an exaggerated example, I know, but it does get quite tiring for me to move the mouse such large distances for the same in-game movement.

I generally adjust sensitivity (between in-game sensitivity and mouse DPI) so that it's roughly 7 to 8 inches for a 360. That strikes a nice balance for me between precision and being able to make twitch shots.

Also, in my case, desk space is at a premium. My current Steelseries Experience I-2/Icemat pad is about as large as I'd like (almost 12" wide), and my keyboard and mouse have to compete for space with all my flight simulation controls and other assorted input devices. (One of the things that constantly bugs me about how I'd like to set up my desktop area is striking that balance between "computer desk" and "flight sim cockpit"...)

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 16:52:09 »
I think it would have been smart by Razer to introduce a new switch to its users.  But it seems to be all blue all day over there.  I have never used one of these devices and don't plan on it.  I've used my regular keyboard for so long and have had great success with it.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:34:37 »
Amen
SmallFry! <3

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 15:05:03 »
I think it would have been smart by Razer to introduce a new switch to its users.  But it seems to be all blue all day over there.  I have never used one of these devices and don't plan on it.  I've used my regular keyboard for so long and have had great success with it.

I agree. When they introduced the TKL BWU I was semi-impressed. And they do have the BWU's with Browns and all, but they mostly advertise Blues. I think it'd be great if they released a new line of boards with linear switches. Perhaps a less flashy case design would be nice as well.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:23:37 »
I don't necessarily think they need to introduce a whole new switch, just remember that Cherry MX Clears exist.

Why is it so hard to get that one particular switch type?

Offline Donatzsky

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 17:18:19 »
I don't think the thumbpad can be used as a mouse,
It's quite possible to use it as a mouse - even if it is a bit clunky. It can also be used to emulate a joystick. Have a look at Di Axis *.

there's the belkin n52 and the razer up'd version called the n52te, aside from the "bling" they put on it, it also uses different programming/macro'ing software than the old belkin n52 and by a landslide opinion is worse than the old n52.
The n52te also has better keys (even if they're still nothing special). And it acts as an actual keyboard, so games can't block it.
The software is absolutely atrocious, however, with numerous bugs, weird limitations and generally poor UX.
Try this:
  • Create a new profile (or use one you don't care about) and save it
  • Rename it, making sure to include one or more of these characters: \ / : * ? " < > |
  • Close the editor window.
  • Reopen the editor and have a look at you profile.
Result and explanation:
The profile no longer has a name, and all keys have been set to "Disabled".
The reason, of course, is that Windows does not allow any of these characters in file names, so the file doesn't get saved, but Razer's programmers are apparently too incompetent to check for something as basic as this.

with that said, is this awesome? well the original n52 cost 60 bucks(i bought a few used ones for 20 or so), you can still buy a n52te for 70?, so you gotta ask yourself, is 80bucks worth it for a few cherry keys?
Well, the hardware certainly seems nice. But, yeah, I'm not sure it's worth the premium, especially since the n52te does work well enough once you figure out it's peculiarities.

Offline Peter Pinard

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 16:12:40 »
I dislike MX Blues for gaming, no idea why they would choose those, so i fixed it, replaced the WASD keys with MX blacks, and just for kicks because i had blue LEDs in ye olde parts bin about I replaced the LEDs as well. The blues work for the non movement keys rather well, but moving around games with that infernal clacking was no good.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 February 2013, 16:16:42 by Peter Pinard »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Explosivo

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 13:56:06 »
I dislike MX Blues for gaming, no idea why they would choose those, so i fixed it, replaced the WASD keys with MX blacks, and just for kicks because i had blue LEDs in ye olde parts bin about I replaced the LEDs as well. The blues work for the non movement keys rather well, but moving around games with that infernal clacking was no good.

Very intriguing, Peter!
I recently picked up the Orbweaver myself and, while I do like it a lot, I was looking to do exactly what you did there with the switches. (found this post via Google  :cool: )
Could you please tell me how the switches are mounted? ie, did you need to do any soldering (aside from your LED modification)?
Obviously you had to take the thing apart, any tips or things to beware of while disassembling?
I imagine the screws are underneath the rubber feet, yeah?
Thanks!

Offline Tapaxn

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 10:51:33 »
Very intriguing, Peter!
I recently picked up the Orbweaver myself and, while I do like it a lot, I was looking to do exactly what you did there with the switches. (found this post via Google  :cool: )
Could you please tell me how the switches are mounted? ie, did you need to do any soldering (aside from your LED modification)?
Obviously you had to take the thing apart, any tips or things to beware of while disassembling?
I imagine the screws are underneath the rubber feet, yeah?
Thanks!

I PM'd Peter earlier this week about this exact thing as I'm in the same boat as you and he was able to confirm that the screws are indeed under the rubber feet, so you either need to remove them or feel around for the screw holes (I'm imagining they're recessed a bit) and then punch through the rubber to unscrew them (this has the potential benefit of keeping the original glue on the feet).

Because there is an LED in each switch, you will at least need to desolder that.  At that point you could potentially just swap the internals of the switches and resolder the LEDs rather than go through all the extra work of desoldering and resoldering each switch entirely.  Based on this, it doesn't sound like they're plate mounted.

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to get to this as I need to order parts first, but I'll try and take some pictures of the process and post them here.  If you beat me to it, I'd love to see any pictures you could provide.

Offline Explosivo

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 16:48:26 »
I PM'd Peter earlier this week about this exact thing as I'm in the same boat as you and he was able to confirm that the screws are indeed under the rubber feet, so you either need to remove them or feel around for the screw holes (I'm imagining they're recessed a bit) and then punch through the rubber to unscrew them (this has the potential benefit of keeping the original glue on the feet).

Because there is an LED in each switch, you will at least need to desolder that.  At that point you could potentially just swap the internals of the switches and resolder the LEDs rather than go through all the extra work of desoldering and resoldering each switch entirely.  Based on this, it doesn't sound like they're plate mounted.
Awesome, Tapaxn. Thanks!

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to get to this as I need to order parts first, but I'll try and take some pictures of the process and post them here.  If you beat me to it, I'd love to see any pictures you could provide.
That would be great!
I've never messed around with MX switches so I'm kind of in no hurry to screw this up by going in blind so, if you don't mind, I'll probably wait for you  :-[
That is, unless I find another case of someone doing this to an Orbweaver. In that case I'll be sure to post some pics for you!

I'm curious what your thoughts on the caps that come with the Orbweaver are.
I ordered some replacement caps today because I'm not a fan of all the different angles the caps that come with it have. Nor am I a fan of how they're all flat.
As for the rest of the thing, I like it a lot. The whole thumb area and overall comfort is a huge improvement over the Nostromo imo (which I ended up returning).

Offline Tapaxn

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 17:31:39 »
Awesome, Tapaxn. Thanks!

That would be great!
I've never messed around with MX switches so I'm kind of in no hurry to screw this up by going in blind so, if you don't mind, I'll probably wait for you  :-[
That is, unless I find another case of someone doing this to an Orbweaver. In that case I'll be sure to post some pics for you!

I'm curious what your thoughts on the caps that come with the Orbweaver are.
I ordered some replacement caps today because I'm not a fan of all the different angles the caps that come with it have. Nor am I a fan of how they're all flat.
As for the rest of the thing, I like it a lot. The whole thumb area and overall comfort is a huge improvement over the Nostromo imo (which I ended up returning).

Taking apart the actual switch is pretty simple - here's a guide (the pictures should be more than enough) that I think I found linked on this site, but I can't quite remember:
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mid=tipandtech&document_srl=3520312

I was able to fashion something similar and it works quite well.  I had to file down the ends on the clips to make them narrow enough to fit properly, but it's pretty straight forward.  It helped that I had some spare switches to test with from the WASD Keyboards sample pack that I ordered.

For soldering, I came across this guide:
http://imgur.com/a/UIhf9

In terms of replacement keycaps, I don't mind the angles all that much and I kind of like the rubberized feel (at least for a gaming pad).  Having said that, I tried some standard keycaps (also from the WASD sample pack) and couldn't get them on as the plate that's underneath the caps prevents you from pushing the cap down far enough to seat it properly.  You might be able to finagle one on, but unless it's a very shallow/short cap like the stock ones, I think the plate might prevent enough travel to allow for key activation.

Offline Explosivo

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 18:14:57 »
Taking apart the actual switch is pretty simple - here's a guide (the pictures should be more than enough) that I think I found linked on this site, but I can't quite remember:
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mid=tipandtech&document_srl=3520312

I was able to fashion something similar and it works quite well.  I had to file down the ends on the clips to make them narrow enough to fit properly, but it's pretty straight forward.  It helped that I had some spare switches to test with from the WASD Keyboards sample pack that I ordered.

For soldering, I came across this guide:
http://imgur.com/a/UIhf9
Wow, great. Thanks!

In terms of replacement keycaps, I don't mind the angles all that much and I kind of like the rubberized feel (at least for a gaming pad).  Having said that, I tried some standard keycaps (also from the WASD sample pack) and couldn't get them on as the plate that's underneath the caps prevents you from pushing the cap down far enough to seat it properly.  You might be able to finagle one on, but unless it's a very shallow/short cap like the stock ones, I think the plate might prevent enough travel to allow for key activation.
uh-oh. Looks like I may have to do some filing. :eek: I ordered that same sample pack. haha
The pack comes with row 4 keys, I wonder if row 1 or 2 would be better.

Oh well. I'm waiting for them to get Browns in stock and then I'll give it a shot. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. And some pics  :cool:

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:07:15 »
Someone needs to buy this and fill it with clacks. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:23:45 »
I wonder if you could hack razer and flash your own firmware...
SmallFry! <3

Offline hungrymonkey

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 19:56:55 »
Wanted to put a shout out to Peter for his advice...I am very happy with my modification with cherry mx brown and the change in LED colors :).  Pic attached for the curious.

Offline Tapaxn

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 20:13:58 »
Wanted to put a shout out to Peter for his advice...I am very happy with my modification with cherry mx brown and the change in LED colors :).  Pic attached for the curious.

Nice job!

If it's possible, would you be able to post some pictures of where screws are as well as the internals? I'd love to know exactly what I'm getting in to before taking things apart.

Offline hungrymonkey

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 03:08:21 »
Peter suggested just feeling the pad for blank area and pushing thru with screwdriver...  Instead, I felt for the screw holes and used a soft touch to peel back the pad and remove screw directly.  It doesn't ruin the pad and sticks back down without even having to apply contact cement.  The hardest part is that the bottom half is partly snap on..

Offline Peter Pinard

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 16:26:33 »
Here's the underside of mine

As hungrymonkey said, to not compromise the glue on the rubber pads by removing them I prodded with my philips head jeweler's screwdriver until i found a soft spot then rammed it through and undid the screw.
The holes with rubber plugs I simply removed the plugs with a pin then discarded them.
you'll need to remove all the keycaps to disassemble the unit
Once you have all the bottom screws off, remove the lower plate and undo the screws on the side 'arm' thing
Then you can begin prying apart the main part of the machine, there are more screws, but they arent hidden, pay attention to how the rail thing and the pin works, there's an odd inbetween piece you need to make note of.
you can safely remove the big circuit board by disconnecting the ribbon cable, its got a nice plug and socket and can be removed without damaging it.
To replace the LEDs just pick up standard 3mm LEDs, just make sure they are wired with the 'spades' inside the LED pointing the same direction as the stock ones.

« Last Edit: Mon, 01 April 2013, 16:37:25 by Peter Pinard »

Offline Tapaxn

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 17:19:04 »

As hungrymonkey said, to not compromise the glue on the rubber pads by removing them I prodded with my philips head jeweler's screwdriver until i found a soft spot then rammed it through and undid the screw.
The holes with rubber plugs I simply removed the plugs with a pin then discarded them.
you'll need to remove all the keycaps to disassemble the unit
Once you have all the bottom screws off, remove the lower plate and undo the screws on the side 'arm' thing
Then you can begin prying apart the main part of the machine, there are more screws, but they arent hidden, pay attention to how the rail thing and the pin works, there's an odd inbetween piece you need to make note of.
you can safely remove the big circuit board by disconnecting the ribbon cable, its got a nice plug and socket and can be removed without damaging it.
To replace the LEDs just pick up standard 3mm LEDs, just make sure they are wired with the 'spades' inside the LED pointing the same direction as the stock ones.

http://i.imgur.com/ynATTCc.jpg

That's absolutely fantastic - thank you Peter!

I should have my replacement switches later this week, so I'll post some internal pictures when I take mine apart to install them.

Offline Explosivo

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 17:24:47 »

Good stuff, Peter. Thanks for that. It'll make cracking this thing open that much easier.

I should have my replacement switches later this week, so I'll post some internal pictures when I take mine apart to install them.
I'm looking forward to seeing those pics!
I got impatient waiting and waiting for WASD to get Browns in so I just ordered Blacks. Unfortunately I went with the cheapo shipping so I don't think I'll have them till next week.  :(

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 08:46:27 »
Fair warning I am in the process of cracking mine open as well and the spot that Peter says in a mold pip is infact a screw as well as under the pad on the opposite side.  And there is no screw in either hole on the bottom of the rest.  Could be different manufacturer of the case or a revision of the hull.  So I would imagine that yours could be either way.  Not sure when Peter acquired his but mine was bought last week.

Melvang

Edit:  the bottom of the palm rest just popped off to reveal screws underneath
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:04:25 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Explosivo

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:06:09 »
Thanks, Melvang. Very helpful.  :cool:

My switches got here earlier than expected. Now I just have to wait for the UPS man to bring me my solder sucker and wick. (I can't believe Radio Shack doesn't keep that stuff in stock anymore... that used to be THE place for that kind of stuff. I could have had this done last night >:D )

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 15:03:04 »
If anyone is thinking of changing the LED's I pulled mine apart to check the voltage across them.  On dim I was measuring about 2.2, on medium the voltage was 2.8, and on bright it was 3.25.  Also I would suggest NOT taking the cover off the bottom of the thumb pat/arm thing.  There is a TINY ball bearing that rests in a groove on the slider and it was a pain in the ass to get everything back together right.  And i used to do hydraulic and structural repair on Seahawks in the Navy.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Explosivo

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:22:48 »
Done!  Thanks for the tips, everybody. :-*

Some pics for those about to venture into this project based on a few tips previously mentioned in the thread;

After popping of the bottom of the palm rest, these screws are revealed.

1 of 2 screws securing the PCB to the casing.

and the 2nd screw

Under the PCB

Success!

I mentioned I wasn't a fan of the keys so I got some Octopus (Azio?) caps and threw them on. Fit perfectly and I love the feel now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 14:08:51 »
so question how can you guys use WASD as its mapped standard as my hand feels out of place also since they put the analogue stick thing on why not use it thats what im doing and i quite like it.

Also also one else bummed that they put out the stealth one?

also why did they do that weird bit that doesnt allow you to use proper keycaps i find that quite annoying.

Offline roads

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 23:08:45 »
Peter, did you manage to open the thumb part? I did not so I sent it back. I wanted to put an analogue joystick above the stock digital thumbstick as digital movement is not an option for me. You have any pictures of the thumb part disassembly?

Offline roads

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 01:06:25 »
This would be the perfect spot for an analogue stick. I would do a turorial but I have to be able to open the side part without damaging it. There might be screws under the metal sticker around the stock stick and button. There seems to be enough room for an analogue stick there.

It can be connected to PC with a MS controller that is wired like here:

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=7745.0

or here with an Teensy even simpler

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=25969.0

I just need someone with an RMA gone already to open the side part and make some pics.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2013, 01:11:49 by roads »

Offline minnus

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 09:17:58 »
Can the stems on this be replaced without disassembling the body?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 18:34:44 »
No because the LEDs need to be desoldered first.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 13:49:10 »
Looks like the switches are PCB mount? And after changing the LEDs, can you still adjust the LED lighting normally through the Synapse software?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 14:06:07 »
you should be able to control with the same software.  The software does not control voltages, but functions that are in the controller.

You would have to disassemble the orbweaver to change stems.  The LEDs would prevent you from removing the top of the switch to change the stem.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 18:00:55 »
After swapping the LED's the Synapse software still changes the brightness.  End result is it does drop the voltage.  Down to the 2.2 range for low up to 3.2 range on high.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:11:45 »
Show Image

Wow this totally looks insane! How did you change the backlite? Simply change the LEDs?

I sticked to the Nostromo i had just because Orbweaver is green backlite and not blue :p (Entire setup is blue backlite lol) And now that i know it's blue switches... it's defenetly not a deal anymore.

I would get one blue backlite with black switches. Else i don't think it's worthy.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:13:34 »
You can get one and mod it to whatever switches you want Quardah. I'm going to put 65g Blues or Ghetto Greens in mine I think. And I'm pretty sure Pink LEDs will work so I'll be swapping those stock green ones for Pink LEDs. I'll post a build log if anyone is interested.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:23:43 »
You can get one and mod it to whatever switches you want Quardah. I'm going to put 65g Blues or Ghetto Greens in mine I think. And I'm pretty sure Pink LEDs will work so I'll be swapping those stock green ones for Pink LEDs. I'll post a build log if anyone is interested.

Looking forward to seeing that one CPT.  Somewhere in my build log i posted the voltages i read with mine.  I did get different voltages at the 3 different brightness settings.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:27:24 »
Hehe, I said this in the Mail thread but be prepared as I barrage you with PMs asking for help Melvang :D

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:30:46 »
not a problem.  Say have you gotten a chance to check out that file?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:33:34 »
Check your PMs mate :D

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:50:36 »

Yeah i get you at that point but i remember back in engineering school i wasn't very skilled with soldering... Even if i had electronics classes (very little) i really don't feel comfortable modifying my stuff. I fear i could break it and lose it forever if i fail to hard :x

Especially with LEDs i burn them all the time :(

Since you have experience (And you're Badass Captain level lol) i might ask you something, do you need to weld the entire thing to change cherry color or the mechanism permits you to switch it easily? I am not very familiar with all of this... And what soldering iron do you use? We had pretty ****ty ones back in school...

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 08:59:57 »
1) Since you have experience (And you're Badass Captain level lol) i might ask you something, do you need to weld the entire thing to change cherry color or the mechanism permits you to switch it easily? I am not very familiar with all of this...

2) And what soldering iron do you use? We had pretty ****ty ones back in school...

1) The switch is it's own part. You open the Orbweaver/keyboard up and there will be a bunch of self contained switches. If you look at my Spring Swap review, it has pictures of what a switch looks and how you'd swap the stems/springs out.

2) I have a Hakko 936, which I understand is the older model of the Hakko 888. If you are going to get a soldering iron, I'd recommend a Hakko 936/888 or a Weller WESD51. Check out the Living Soldering Thread for more tips.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 09:16:39 »
1) Since you have experience (And you're Badass Captain level lol) i might ask you something, do you need to weld the entire thing to change cherry color or the mechanism permits you to switch it easily? I am not very familiar with all of this...

2) And what soldering iron do you use? We had pretty ****ty ones back in school...

1) The switch is it's own part. You open the Orbweaver/keyboard up and there will be a bunch of self contained switches. If you look at my Spring Swap review, it has pictures of what a switch looks and how you'd swap the stems/springs out.

2) I have a Hakko 936, which I understand is the older model of the Hakko 888. If you are going to get a soldering iron, I'd recommend a Hakko 936/888 or a Weller WESD51. Check out the Living Soldering Thread for more tips.

Thanks BadAss that's some nice infos i'll be on the reading.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 11:42:40 »
Have you seen this thing? It's not mechanical, but I think it might be a better choice than this thing.

Eww! Rubber dome.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline missalaire

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 12:37:48 »
Have you seen this thing? It's not mechanical, but I think it might be a better choice than this thing.

Eww! Rubber dome.

It might be better if you have really large hands because I'm pretty sure the Logitech G13 is bigger and wider than the Nostromo or Orbweaver. I'd still prefer the Nostromo over that though since I think its shaped better ergonomically and I have small hands.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 16:29:54 »

Eww! Rubber dome.

It might be better if you have really large hands because I'm pretty sure the Logitech G13 is bigger and wider than the Nostromo or Orbweaver. I'd still prefer the Nostromo over that though since I think its shaped better ergonomically and I have small hands.

And it is TONS easier to hit specific directions on the dpad on the Nostromo.  I have had both.  Thinking of modding my Nostromo to Cherry switches and selling my Orbweaver that is already modded to clears with reds on the WASD and blue LED's.