Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555550 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #6800 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 19:57:04 »
1) What kro does the minila air have as its wireless?

2) also what 75% metal cases have been made?

1) Gonna guess 6KRO on the Minila Air. But that's a wild guess.

2) There's a metal case for the Race. Forgot who made it. And I have a custom case for my Epsilon that jdcarpe designed. That's all I'm aware of.

Offline Hordak

« Reply #6801 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 06:19:53 »
What do you think, will the Novatouch be as good as a Realforce? Not sure if I can wait till June, although I just bought a new Filco MJ2 Ninja  with Reds  :-\

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6802 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:13:04 »
What do you think, will the Novatouch be as good as a Realforce? Not sure if I can wait till June, although I just bought a new Filco MJ2 Ninja  with Reds  :-\

That is not a question suited for this thread as you ask for opinions.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6803 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:21:31 »

Also it's impossible to judge unless someone has personal experience with a Novatouch. Most of the community has only seen videos or read news articles about it. I don't think anyone has one yet. I believe only the CM Storm employees (Carter, Bran, Rajiv) and I think wetto have tried it or currently type on it.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #6804 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:30:16 »

Also it's impossible to judge unless someone has personal experience with a Novatouch. Most of the community has only seen videos or read news articles about it. I don't think anyone has one yet. I believe only the CM Storm employees (Carter, Bran, Rajiv) and I think wetto have tried it or currently type on it.
Matt3o has one, but NDA prevents him from saying anything. But yeah, nobody can saying anything right now anyway.

Offline Hordak

« Reply #6805 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:37:24 »
Ok, my bad, thanks anyways.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6806 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:39:57 »
Quick question:

When I finally start building my 60% board, I'm going to be harvesting the switches from my Ducky 1087 (time to retire that old board) and I was wondering if, while I'm already harvesting parts from it, it'd be an option to modify the plate to be 60% compatible. I know it'd probably be easier to just buy a 60% plate, but I make minimum wage and I'm cheap so I want to not spend the money unless absolutely necessary.

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6807 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:41:51 »
When I finally start building my 60% board, I'm going to be harvesting the switches from my Ducky 1087 (time to retire that old board) and I was wondering if, while I'm already harvesting parts from it, it'd be an option to modify the plate to be 60% compatible. I know it'd probably be easier to just buy a 60% plate, but I make minimum wage and I'm cheap so I want to not spend the money unless absolutely necessary.

Sure, if you cut it down to the right size and drill some holes in it it should work.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6808 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:43:17 »
I was wondering if it'd be an option to modify the plate to be 60% compatible.

Sure, a plate is just a bit of metal. As long as you take good measurements, have a Dremel/metal saw, sandpaper, and patience, there shouldn't be a reason why you can't cut the plate down to 60% size.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6809 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:47:59 »
Thanks, I guess I'll give it a shot then. Worst case scenario, I screw it up and end up buying a plate anyways.

tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6810 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:49:17 »
Thanks, I guess I'll give it a shot then. Worst case scenario, I screw it up and end up buying a plate anyways.

It shouldn't be too hard. Just need to cut off the function row area and the navpad/arrows. Just remember to measure like 5 times and take off metal slowly. Like cut off a little bit at a time. You can always take more off, it's harder to add material back on. Good luck and post your results!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6811 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:54:40 »
Now I'm just trying to think about which tools I have access to and should use...

Die grinder w/ a cut-off wheel for the initial cuts, then lots and lots of sanding to get as close to a factory edge as possible. Drill press for adding any holes that might be needed.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6812 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:59:27 »
Now I'm just trying to think about which tools I have access to and should use...

Die grinder w/ a cut-off wheel for the initial cuts, then lots and lots of sanding to get as close to a factory edge as possible. Drill press for adding any holes that might be needed.

Yup, sounds about right. Dremel with a drill bit would work in place of a drill press as well. Don't forget a tape measure or calipers.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6813 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 07:59:55 »

Start with the die grinder but leave a buffer, use a file to get to the last few millimeters and then use the sandpaper (depending on what files you have you can also do the last touches with them instead of sandpaper). That's basically how I learned it at ZF.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6814 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:02:22 »
Ha I forgot about a file. Silly me. Great pro-tips BlueBär :D

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6815 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:05:12 »

Start with the die grinder but leave a buffer, use a file to get to the last few millimeters and then use the sandpaper (depending on what files you have you can also do the last touches with them instead of sandpaper). That's basically how I learned it at ZF.

Yeah, was planning on leaving a spare few mm for the sanding process. The more I think about this, the easier it's sounding...

Thanks for the tips guys, will probably start working on this over the weekend. Will post before & after pics for sure.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6816 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:09:30 »
Yeah, was planning on leaving a spare few mm for the sanding process. The more I think about this, the easier it's sounding...

Thanks for the tips guys, will probably start working on this over the weekend. Will post before & after pics for sure.

Really the key to getting a precise handmade piece of metal is measuring over and over again :thumb:

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6817 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:12:16 »

Really the key to getting a precise handmade piece of metal is measuring over and over again :thumb:

Measure twice, three times, until my tape measure breaks, cut once.

Or so the saying goes...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6818 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:17:16 »
Another good tip for getting good lines when working with thinner metal like this is to make very sure you are marking your lines where you want to finish.  Not where you want to make your initial cut.  Also, make your lines as fine as you can.  IE, use a scribe instead of a sharpie.  Even the ultra fine tip sharpies are to thick.  Spend the couple dollars and get a scribe.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6819 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:34:16 »
CLiB, please see this thread for inspiration. :D

I miss Lethal Squirrel...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6820 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:39:26 »

i am not clib but..

that is simply awesome, thanks for the share jd :thumb:

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6821 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:42:58 »

i am not clib but..

that is simply awesome, thanks for the share jd :thumb:

It's ok Ray, you can speak on my behalf. :D

And yes, nice share indeed jd. Gives me a bit more confidence going through with this knowing it has already been done before.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Hordak

« Reply #6822 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 10:41:30 »
Am I right to assume that there is no silent all-45g or all-55g version of the Realforce TKL 87UB?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6823 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 10:55:48 »
Am I right to assume that there is no silent all-45g or all-55g version of the Realforce TKL 87UB?

I'm more of an MX guy but I assume the B stands for "black"?
All 45g
All 55g

Edit: nevermind, I overread the silent. It doesn't look like there is, but you can do some mods to make it silent.

Offline Hordak

« Reply #6824 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 11:00:45 »
Yes, I meant the black one. So no silent it seems, a shame. Another question though: Do these loose case issues still exist when you buy a 87U today? Thanks!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6825 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:30:28 »
There are some threads that I am not watching, nor have a notification activated but I have getting them in the "Show new replies to your posts." Each time I have to manually mark them as readed. How I can delete their notifications?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6826 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:31:34 »
There are some threads that I am not watching, nor have a notification activated but I have getting them in the "Show new replies to your posts." Each time I have to manually mark them as readed. How I can delete their notifications?

Not sure this is the right thread for your question but I don't think you can get rid of the notifications.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6827 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:31:55 »

Did you post in those threads?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6828 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:32:36 »

I think I did.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6829 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:33:17 »

I think I did.

Well that is why they show up there,  you posted in it therefore it is a 'new reply to your post'.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6830 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:34:36 »

I think I did.

Well that is why they show up there,  you posted in it therefore it is a 'new reply to your post'.

yeah, it makes sense, but I do not want them to show up in my list anymore  :-[ . How I could do that?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6831 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:37:39 »

I think I did.

yeah, it makes sense, but I do not want them to show up in my list anymore  :-[ . How I could do that?

I hope the simple answer would not be: "you can't"  :-X

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6832 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:38:19 »

I'm pretty sure that is the answer unfortunately.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6833 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:41:06 »

I'm pretty sure that is the answer unfortunately.

OM, well, I hate I knew it, since the beginning.  >:D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #6834 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:50:41 »
Instead of "Unread" use "Watched".  When you reply to a thread, you automatically place it on your "watched" list.  You can "unwatch" each thread you don't want to see new replies from, when you go to that thread and click "unwatch" at the top right.  This thread won't show up on your Watched list anymore. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6835 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 12:54:25 »
Instead of "Unread" use "Watched".  When you reply to a thread, you automatically place it on your "watched" list.  You can "unwatch" each thread you don't want to see new replies from, when you go to that thread and click "unwatch" at the top right.  This thread won't show up on your Watched list anymore.

I will give it a try. TY,  :)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #6836 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 13:52:13 »

+1. This is how I do it, and it works very well for me. Never touched "unread" for months.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6837 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 14:20:39 »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline BlueBär

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #6839 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 14:37:27 »
Does anyone know where I can acquire PCB mounted stabilizers with a 7x spacebar at a reasonable price?

Thank you :).

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6840 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 14:41:53 »
Does anyone know where I can acquire PCB mounted stabilizers with a 7x spacebar at a reasonable price?

This seems to be your only option right now. They appear to be out of stock everywhere.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #6841 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:04:52 »

This seems to be your only option right now. They appear to be out of stock everywhere.

Yeah...shipping to Canada is approx $23 D:.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6842 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:08:28 »

Then I guess you don't want them that bad. :)) :)) :))

in memoriam

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #6843 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:16:15 »

Then I guess you don't want them that bad. :)) :)) :))

Yeah...not that bad  :p. It's for my summer project...so I'll wait :(.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #6844 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 15:20:53 »

Imsto also has them available, but the price wouldn't be very different after shipping.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #6845 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 17:15:12 »

Imsto also has them available, but the price wouldn't be very different after shipping.

Yeah...well, thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

Cheers!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #6846 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:19:21 »
Stock QFR caps are laser engraved and filled, correct? Not etched?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6847 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:20:13 »

I thought they were pad printed.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6848 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:21:44 »

"Laser-marked keycaps"
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #6849 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 22:43:34 »
The legends are definitely raised, though as epzy noted, Cooler Master is ambiguous about the actual method. It's laser something.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.