Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556550 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #6900 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 20:38:46 »
Is there/how easy is it to get 7x Plate mounted stabs, preferably cherry but also costar can work

I think the only option is to order from GONKeyboardWorks right now. Not sure where else you can get 7X wires easily.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6901 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 20:40:08 »
Is there/how easy is it to get 7x Plate mounted stabs, preferably cherry but also costar can work

I think the only option is to order from GONKeyboardWorks right now. Not sure where else you can get 7X wires easily.

Can PCB mount wire work with plate mount? If so I'll take apart my 11800 for scraps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6902 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 20:44:28 »

Can PCB mount wire work with plate mount? If so I'll take apart my 11800 for scraps

Yeah it's just the mounting bits and inserts that are different.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6903 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 20:51:00 »

At the moment, you can only get them (Cherry) from GON, unless you want to bend the wires yourself.

7x for Costar don't exist, except for a few that Litster bent for the original Phantom GB.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jedolley

« Reply #6904 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 14:18:47 »
Two questions...

1. Currently have a CM Storm QFR. I like it, but think it sits a bit too high or is a bit thick. Any other options for a thinner or lower profile TKL board?

2. What type of o-ring/dampner does the Logitech G710+ use? The reason I ask is because I tested it out and liked the feel and wanted to try to replicate it.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6905 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 14:26:34 »
1. Currently have a CM Storm QFR. I like it, but think it sits a bit too high or is a bit thick. Any other options for a thinner or lower profile TKL board?
2. What type of o-ring/dampner does the Logitech G710+ use? The reason I ask is because I tested it out and liked the feel and wanted to try to replicate it.

1. You can get a bit lower profile keycaps but mechanical keyboards are generally thicker as the switches need some space. A wrist rest mightm ake things more comfortable too.
2. You will probably not find the exact same O-rings, but WASD Keyboards and iirc feng or imsto offer some.

Offline jedolley

« Reply #6906 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 14:29:55 »

1. You can get a bit lower profile keycaps but mechanical keyboards are generally thicker as the switches need some space. A wrist rest mightm ake things more comfortable too.
2. You will probably not find the exact same O-rings, but WASD Keyboards and iirc feng or imsto offer some.

1. I was looking at the Ducky Zero TKL 2087. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like it would be a bit thinner or sit lower. Would that be a good choice?

2. Yeah, I saw that WASD Keyboard sells o-rings, but not sure which ones would be closer to what Logitech is using. 0.2mm or the 0.4mm reduction? Any idea?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6907 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 14:38:22 »
1. I was looking at the Ducky Zero TKL 2087. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like it would be a bit thinner or sit lower. Would that be a good choice?
2. Yeah, I saw that WASD Keyboard sells o-rings, but not sure which ones would be closer to what Logitech is using. 0.2mm or the 0.4mm reduction? Any idea?

1. I think the difference would be minimal, maybe someone who has one can measure it for you.
2. It uses 1mm O-rings, but 2mm should be fine.

Offline jedolley

« Reply #6908 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 14:50:40 »

1. I think the difference would be minimal, maybe someone who has one can measure it for you.

Thanks!

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6909 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 18:56:47 »
Why are alps harder to remove than MX?

Also is there a guide on taking apart alpsulators?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6910 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 19:02:14 »
Why are alps harder to remove than MX?

I think the reason is because the retention mechanism is completely different between alps and MX.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6911 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 19:02:38 »
1. Why are alps harder to remove than MX?
2. Also is there a guide on taking apart alpsulators?

1. Because they are not mounted the same way :rolleyes: The connection between keycap and switch stem is probably tighter.
2. I don't think there is.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6912 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 19:40:16 »

I know it's not exactly the same two keyboards, but I have QFR and Ducky Shine Yellow Edition, which is probably close to the Zero.

The QFR is about 1mm higher at the front of the case, but it has thicker rubber feet underneath.  if you removed those and sat it directly on the desk, it would probably be 1 to 2 mm lower than the Ducky.

58413-0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jedolley

« Reply #6913 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 19:56:50 »

I know it's not exactly the same two keyboards, but I have QFR and Ducky Shine Yellow Edition, which is probably close to the Zero.

The QFR is about 1mm higher at the front of the case, but it has thicker rubber feet underneath.  if you removed those and sat it directly on the desk, it would probably be 1 to 2 mm lower than the Ducky.

(Attachment Link)

Thanks! The comparison really helps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6914 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 20:16:27 »

I used this video kmiller8 made to help me understand how to take apart my Alpsulator:

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6915 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:26:37 »
I like Reds and Browns, dislike the Blacks and Blues. Should I go with a 45 or 55 uniform RF 87?

I'm not sure I see the correlation since I don't think that it's as easy as saying "Oh I like light switches so I'll like light MX and light Topre". I think the different switch types (Alps, Topre, MX, Buckling Spring, etc) are unique and it's going to be hard to judge by comparing from one type to another. I would suggest you try both to judge it. Plus, none of us know exactly what you're looking for in a switch. It's personal preference more than anything.

Whats a guy gotta do to get a nice set of white/beige doubleshots for a filco/qfr?

Anyone know what keyboards have all the right keys (besides caps)

Not having much luck in the classifieds.

Keep looking :). If you want something nice, look for Originative's GMK white/beige set. It should have the kits you need for a Filco/QFR. It'll run you about $100 and you'll have to be quick on the draw, but you'll love 'em.
I would pay $100 for a GMK set in a quick minute. But you gotta know someone for them to give them up. Or get super lucky lol cause they go fast.
^This. Be patient and keep looking. Dorkvader and I suggested some Cherry boards that would fit your needs. Hunt eBay and the classifieds.
I have been stalking the classifieds for a week. Patience is not my thing when it comes to buying I guess. Need some caps but feeling like I might just get what I can find.

Had an offer for a brand new cherry set which was awesome but they are all white, no beige mods. And all the F keys were windowed. Thought about buying them for trade bait but not sure how wanted those are. Probably cool for a Kmac with LED's across the top.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6916 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:35:18 »
What can you use to cut up a PCB? Already tried a hacksaw, no avail. Want to use it as a holder for switches for a switch tester

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6917 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:36:12 »
What can you use to cut up a PCB? Already tried a hacksaw, no avail. Want to use it as a holder for switches for a switch tester

Why can't you use a hacksaw...If you can cut steel pipe with a hacksaw I think you can get through a PCB...
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:39:12 by CPTBadAss »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6918 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:39:19 »
http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Chainsaw_Bayonet
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6919 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:43:22 »

Why can't you use a hacksaw...If you can cut steel pipe with a hacksaw I think you can get through a PCB...

I think its because I found a random rusty hacksaw that couldn't do ****....I'll go find a newer one and use that :))

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6920 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:48:34 »

I think its because I found a random rusty hacksaw that couldn't do ****....I'll go find a newer one and use that :))

I just karate chop them
I love Elzy

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6921 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:37:18 »

I just karate chop them

Or you can grab a gold plated hacksaw.  ;)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6922 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:42:54 »
Gold plated?

Solid gold blade son.
I love Elzy

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6923 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:59:04 »
Gold plated?

Solid gold blade son.

Bro. Your solid gold blade won't even cut ;)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Doesntknowwhattosay

« Reply #6924 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 07:08:16 »
When I'm looking for old g81s on ebay... L means laser, H doubleshot and S dyesub, am I right?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6925 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 07:43:08 »
When I'm looking for old g81s on ebay... L means laser, H doubleshot and S dyesub, am I right?

Correct, here's more info: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6926 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:17:15 »
This is a stupid question that I should know the answer to.

Are keyboard cables (gh60, jd40, etc) mini or micro usb?
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:22:24 by swill »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6927 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:30:47 »
This is a stupid question that I should know the answer to.

I just checked a teensy and it is a Mini, so I am assuming that is the most common keyboard connector.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6928 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:37:58 »

Apart from the WASD keyboards they use usually Mini USB.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6929 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:42:05 »

thanks for the response...  :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6930 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:45:19 »

Do you have any idea why WASD would choose micro over mini USB?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #6931 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:51:08 »

Do you have any idea why WASD would choose micro over mini USB?
CM is going to do it with the novatouch. They(CM) say micro is better because the plug will break before the port. So you should only have to replace the cable rather than desolder the plug if you slam your keyboard into something by accident.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #6932 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:56:56 »
I know WASDv2,New Matias,The Novatouch using micro cmiiw
Mini easily dislodged from my experince, micro not like some handphone or gadget
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6933 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:55:11 »
Could someone be as kind as to link me to an ebay listing for the type of cable you need to make usb cables? A few members tried to explain it to me but I'm still a little confused. Thanks in advance. :thumb:
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6934 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:57:13 »
Could someone be as kind as to link me to an ebay listing for the type of cable you need to make usb cables? A few members tried to explain it to me but I'm still a little confused. Thanks in advance. :thumb:

You need USB cable to make USB cables.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6935 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 14:01:28 »

I answered this question last time you asked already. I don't think you replied?

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6936 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 15:36:43 »

You need USB cable to make USB cables.

CPT said you can use hookup cable, but I don't know what that is.

Also BlueBar, I may have overlooked it. I just would really like a link to an ebay listing of the cable in bulk. I cant find any "bulk usb cable"

Edit: is this what you need? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stranded-Equipment-Wire-18AWG-20AWG-22AWG-26AWG-28AWG-Cable-Cord-Hookup-Strip-/400611903150?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&var=670167752944&hash=item5d465486ae&_uhb=1
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 15:39:02 by stancato9 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6937 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 15:51:55 »

Also BlueBar, I may have overlooked it. I just would really like a link to an ebay listing of the cable in bulk. I cant find any "bulk usb cable"

Edit: is this what you need? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stranded-Equipment-Wire-18AWG-20AWG-22AWG-26AWG-28AWG-Cable-Cord-Hookup-Strip-/400611903150?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&var=670167752944&hash=item5d465486ae&_uhb=1

Alright, let me get this straight for you since you seem a bit lost ;)
You usually just buy a normal USB cable like this one and cut the ends off. It is cheap and requires not much work. The wire you linked is just that: 1 wire. However USB cables have 4 to 5 wires inside, meaning you need to bundle at least 4 per cable, meaning the cable will get thick and the sleeve you want to put around it will probably no more fit. Additionally, you would have to get shielding and if possible an outer plastic coat - all that requires a lot more work and probably also more money than simply buying a normal cable and cutting the ends off.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6938 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 15:56:59 »

Alright, let me get this straight for you since you seem a bit lost ;)
You usually just buy a normal USB cable like this one and cut the ends off. It is cheap and requires not much work. The wire you linked is just that: 1 wire. However USB cables have 4 to 5 wires inside, meaning you need to bundle at least 4 per cable, meaning the cable will get thick and the sleeve you want to put around it will probably no more fit. Additionally, you would have to get shielding and if possible an outer plastic coat - all that requires a lot more work and probably also more money than simply buying a normal cable and cutting the ends off.

Thank you. :) Finally someone explained it to me well. Just curious as to how the people who make their own cables do it.. I wanted to attempt it all from scratch.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6939 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 16:04:20 »
Thank you. :) Finally someone explained it to me well. Just curious as to how the people who make their own cables do it.. I wanted to attempt it all from scratch.

This guide by nubbinator might help you as well: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44924.0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6942 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 17:14:36 »
Nope, it's not cheap at all.  The cheapest way to make some cables for yourself is buying some cables to cannibalize off of Amazon if you have prime, buying some cables to cannibalize off of Newegg if you have shoprunner, or buying some cables to cannibalize off of Monoprice.  If you buy the cable straight up, expect to be paying at least $0.50 a foot after you factor in shipping.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6944 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 19:11:17 »
I want minimal travel distance reduction and change in feel, which keyboard should I go for? HHKB Pro 2 w/ dental bands mod vs HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. Same question goes for the regular Realforce 87u and the Silenced version as well.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6945 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 19:12:49 »
Does someone know if SP's SA 4.5u (TAA) SKU: 303193 fits the KBT Pure Pro, and / or the TEX Beattle?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6946 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 19:15:33 »
Does someone know if SP's SA 4.5u (TAA) SKU: 303193 fits the KBT Pure Pro, and / or the TEX Beattle?

It should fit if it has the correct length.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6948 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 22:38:12 »

It should fit if it has the correct length.

It is the right length, but I am not sure if the stems will fit.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6949 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 04:22:32 »
Is there such a thing as a PS2 Hub so I can use multiple keyboards for one computer?

I have found Switches that do it the other way around (1 PS2 keyboard for 4 PCs), but that's not what I want.