Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553815 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #6950 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 06:07:24 »
Some keyboards allow you to plug in an additional PS/2 device, but this is uncommon as PS/2 devices are not normally hot-swappable.

I have used this feature to "daisy chain" two access-IS keyboards together to make a split KB.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6951 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:01:17 »
So I was going to buy a Realforce 87u 55g, but the seller told me there is some rust on the plate. Just a few spots. Is this dangerous to the keyboard? Can it be dangerous over time? How can it be removed, with sandpaper or something? He says it functions perfectly, though.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:06:09 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6952 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:11:21 »
It is the right length, but I am not sure if the stems will fit.

If the stem is centered on the Pure Pro then it will probably fit.

Is there such a thing as a PS2 Hub so I can use multiple keyboards for one computer?

PS2 to USB converters + USB hub would work.

So I was going to buy a Realforce 87u 55g, but the seller told me there was some rust on the plate. Just a few spots. Is this dangerous to the keyboard? Can it be dangerous over time? How can it be removed, with sandpaper or something? He says it functions perfectly, though.

It depends on how bad the rust is. You can remove it with sandpaper (make sure the rust is all gone) and you need to paint it afterwards to seal it again. I'm just wondering how a keyboard plate can rust? Shouldn't it be aluminium?

Offline delobe

« Reply #6953 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:12:07 »
Hi, I have Filco majestouch mx brown. Filco, I believe, is plate mounted. I want to replace with cherry mx clears.

Can I use pcb mount style clears? Is the swap out simple?
de hand, de fingres, de nails, de arma, de bilbow

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6954 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:18:11 »
Hi, I have Filco majestouch mx brown. Filco, I believe, is plate mounted. I want to replace with cherry mx clears.

Can I use pcb mount style clears? Is the swap out simple?

Yes Filco is plate mounted. You can use PCB mount switches, but you will have to cut off two plastic pins on the bottom (see this image) on each switch. To swap them out you need to desolder your switches, replace them with the new ones and solder them in again. If you haven't done any soldering or desoldering yet, I would recommend you to train that a bit on an old PCB. You can also check out my modding guide by clicking the link in my signature.

Offline delobe

« Reply #6955 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:31:47 »

Yes Filco is plate mounted. You can use PCB mount switches, but you will have to cut off two plastic pins on the bottom (see this image) on each switch. To swap them out you need to desolder your switches, replace them with the new ones and solder them in again. If you haven't done any soldering or desoldering yet, I would recommend you to train that a bit on an old PCB. You can also check out my modding guide by clicking the link in my signature.

Many thanks, perfect
de hand, de fingres, de nails, de arma, de bilbow

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6956 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:42:48 »
I want minimal travel distance reduction and change in feel, which keyboard should I go for? HHKB Pro 2 w/ dental bands mod vs HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. Same question goes for the regular Realforce 87u and the Silenced version as well.

I guess it depends on what layout you want. I've read that the dental bands can make the travel distance change but that's not always 100% of the feedback out there. From what I read, the Type S boards feel the same as the regular boards.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6957 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:48:26 »
Are there any PBT sets with a tsangan?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6958 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:49:40 »
Are there any PBT sets with a tsangan?

Some Cherry boards might have the 7x spacebar and 1.5x mods you're looking for but I'm not aware of PBT Tsangan kits. Hm...well, wait, aren't the Cherry spacebars on boards with PBT caps made from ABS? Can someone verify that?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6959 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:51:54 »
Some Cherry boards might have the 7x spacebar and 1.5x mods you're looking for but I'm not aware of PBT Tsangan kits. Hm...well, wait, aren't the Cherry spacebars on boards with PBT caps made from ABS? Can someone verify that?

Iirc they have a "PBT" stamp on the bottom but aren't actually PBT.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6960 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:52:41 »

Iirc they have a "PBT" stamp on the bottom but aren't actually PBT.

^^ Was about to post the same thing :D

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6961 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:53:26 »
^^ Was about to post the same thing :D

Sniping you is quite the achievement ;D

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6962 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 07:58:36 »
Thanks guys. So you are pretty much forced to go with doubleshots on a board with 1.5 mods.. That's unfortunate.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6963 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 08:38:19 »
@Bluebär

No clue, he said he didn't know about it until he tried to clean it. Haven't gotten a picture either...

I want minimal travel distance reduction and change in feel, which keyboard should I go for? HHKB Pro 2 w/ dental bands mod vs HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. Same question goes for the regular Realforce 87u and the Silenced version as well.

I guess it depends on what layout you want. I've read that the dental bands can make the travel distance change but that's not always 100% of the feedback out there. From what I read, the Type S boards feel the same as the regular boards.

Okay, seems like I should go for a Type-S then, but I'll have to do some thorough research regardless. :)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6964 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 08:40:57 »
It depends on how bad the rust is. You can remove it with sandpaper (make sure the rust is all gone) and you need to paint it afterwards to seal it again. I'm just wondering how a keyboard plate can rust? Shouldn't it be aluminium?

Actually, most switch plates in stock keyboards are made from regular mild steel.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6965 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 08:43:45 »
Actually, most switch plates in stock keyboards are made from regular mild steel.

Oh yes you're right. Makes me wonder though, why don't they use aluminium? It's fairly cheap (not sure how it compares to steel), light, easy to work with, etc?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6966 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 08:47:28 »

Oh yes you're right. Makes me wonder though, why don't they use aluminium? It's fairly cheap (not sure how it compares to steel), light, easy to work with, etc?

Mild steel is really easy to find, easy to work with, and is really cheap. Aluminum is very light and doesn't give that added heft to the keyboard when you pick it up. It doesn't feel as "solid". I have an aluminum TKL plate and it's significantly lighter than a stainless steel plate.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6967 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 08:54:08 »
Mild steel is really easy to find, easy to work with, and is really cheap. Aluminum is very light and doesn't give that added heft to the keyboard when you pick it up. It doesn't feel as "solid". I have an aluminum TKL plate and it's significantly lighter than a stainless steel plate.

I suppose cost is the bigger factor here... Anyways, good to know, thanks!

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6968 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 12:29:14 »
Sorry for so many questions, but what diameter sleeve is generally used for sleeving usb cables?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6969 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 12:41:03 »
Sorry for so many questions, but what diameter sleeve is generally used for sleeving usb cables?

Most common sleeves are paracord (which you can get on Amazon, ebay,...) and MDPC (available here: mdpc-x.com).

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6970 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:11:39 »

Most common sleeves are paracord (which you can get on Amazon, ebay,...) and MDPC (available here: mdpc-x.com).

Yeah, but some ebay listings for PET material show the diameter.. and it differs greatly. I need to know which size is good for USB cables.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6971 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:12:46 »
Yeah, but some ebay listings for PET material show the diameter.. and it differs greatly. I need to know which size is good for USB cables.

Do you have a ruler and a USB cable? Take a rough inner diameter measurement. I don't know the diameter off the top of my head but it should be very easy to get a rough number for your purposes.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6972 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:14:34 »

It depends on the USB cable of course. My KBT Pure stock cable is about 4-5mm thick.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6973 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:06:18 »
Random fun fact: This thread now has the second most replies on Geekhack as shown by the stats page. It has 6972 as of this post. The next topic "What did you add to your keyboard today?" has 6914. And the topic with the most replies is "What did you get in the mail today?" with 18493.

What I'm really trying to say is, thanks for making this thread such a hit. It's been a little over a year since I made the OP and I honestly didn't think it would get this response. :D

I think a giveaway might be in order...Or something else celebratory!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6974 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:10:01 »
Random fun fact: This thread now has the second most replies on Geekhack as shown by the stats page. It has 6972 as of this post. The next topic "What did you add to your keyboard today?" has 6914. And the topic with the most replies is "What did you get in the mail today?" with 18493.

What I'm really trying to say is, thanks for making this thread such a hit. It's been a little over a year since I made the OP and I honestly didn't think it would get this response. :D

I bet it makes you happy that you're not alone :)))
I love Elzy

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6975 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:10:18 »

Hehe, congratulations with a much needed, successful thread I guess. :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6976 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:11:00 »

I bet it makes you happy that you're not alone :))

At night I don't cry myself to sleep anymore. Just whimpers now.  ;)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6977 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:37:42 »

Very nice! First place when?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6978 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:39:14 »
Very nice! First place when?

At the pace we're going at? A little over two years from now we'll have taken over the world "What did you get in the mail thread".

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #6979 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:42:58 »

I'm curious to know how many of those replies are from Pacifist? ;)

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6980 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:43:21 »
This is pretty awesome, I remember when this topic was created. I should have posted a question just to be on the first page! Instead I waited until page 10 lol.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6981 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:09:00 »

I'm curious to know how many of those replies are from Pacifist? ;)

At least I post in here instead of making a new thread

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #6982 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:10:13 »
This is pretty awesome, I remember when this topic was created. I should have posted a question just to be on the first page! Instead I waited until page 10 lol.

waited until page 10 too

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6983 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:35:57 »
Is there any way, either via software or physically, to disable a keyboard from being affected by numlock?

Also can I swap out costar stabs plate for cherry plate stabs? Or do I need to change the holes?

Also are there any custom 75% plates that fit the kc 84 (race plate won't work)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:37:44 by Pacifist »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6984 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:48:19 »
1. Is there any way, either via software or physically, to disable a keyboard from being affected by numlock?
2. Also can I swap out costar stabs plate for cherry plate stabs? Or do I need to change the holes?
3. Also are there any custom 75% plates that fit the kc 84 (race plate won't work)

1. Yes, you could for example always send out page up etc. or only the number via AHK or a custom firmware.
2. You would need different holes.
3. Not sure but I'd guess no.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #6985 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 06:56:44 »
Can I get a spare tray for my ducky shine 3?

I want to paint my tray and would prefer to have a replacement/spare in case I balls it up.

Also has anyone seen my keys?  I had them last night but I cant find them.

Thanks

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6986 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 07:04:00 »
1. Can I get a spare tray for my ducky shine 3?
2. Also has anyone seen my keys?  I had them last night but I cant find them.

1. I don't think you can buy spare trays for Ducky boards.
2. Do you have a photo so you we can identify them?

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #6987 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 07:08:05 »
I was hoping that someone may know of an oem supplier -sadface-

As for the keys.  Not too dissimilar to these (http://www.quick-return-cleaners.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/keys.jpg)

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #6988 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 07:30:36 »
Does any one own or know of a Cherry Yugoslav ISO board? If so link for pics would be nice  ^-^
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6989 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 08:04:45 »
Does any one own or know of a Cherry Yugoslav ISO board? If so link for pics would be nice  ^-^

There is a language code for Yugoslav ISO, so I guess there are a few. Here is an example:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/cherry-g81-3000-say-t2754.html

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #6990 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 08:14:07 »

There is a language code for Yugoslav ISO, so I guess there are a few. Here is an example:
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/cherry-g81-3000-say-t2754.html
Wow thanks for the link, now I want one so bad. They seem hard to find tho :(
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6991 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 09:39:32 »

I GOT THEM. I TAKE BRIBES/REPAYMENT IN ICE CREAM. PM ME FOR MORE INFO.

Also are there any custom 75% plates that fit the kc 84 (race plate won't work)

I'm not sure there are any other 75% plates made besides the Race one and the one made for the Epsilon.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #6992 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 11:13:50 »

How about I PM you my address.. let yourself in.. (tidy up if you're hard pressed fro something to do) and just drop them on the side :)?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6993 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 11:26:08 »

How about I PM you my address.. let yourself in.. (tidy up if you're hard pressed fro something to do) and just drop them on the side :)?

This thread just got a bit naughty.  ;)

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #6994 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 06:39:16 »
Is it normal behaviour to be searching on eBay for the term "key caps" at times I care not to mention (very AM people). 

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6995 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 06:46:23 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 06:48:45 by epzy »

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #6996 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 09:01:20 »
Are USB G80-1800s Mac compatible?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6997 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 09:03:42 »
Are USB G80-1800s Mac compatible?

Think the only issue you'll have is that there's no command button? You'll have to remap it to be command. KeyRemap4MacBook and PCKeyboardHack should do the trick.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6998 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 14:12:59 »
What are mandolin crystals?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6999 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 14:14:37 »
What are mandolin crystals?

It's an inside joke. There was a user named Mandolin who was trying to sell Model M keyboards with what he called "rare crystals" in them. He was advertising his eBay auctions with ridiculous markups since he had these crystals in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 14:17:28 by CPTBadAss »