Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555215 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7150 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:43:30 »
Thanks for the replies! I'm actually using new housings. I will probably go with the cloth rubbing off method. I asked because I saw someone here leave the stems soaking in water with something else.

won't new housings negate the benefits of vintage blacks??

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7151 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:11:58 »
Is there any place to get Costar stabilizers since WASD is out and I don't feel like paying $15 or so to get 5 Cherry plate mounted stabilizers?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7152 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:15:08 »
Is there any place to get Costar stabilizers since WASD is out and I don't feel like paying $15 or so to get 5 Cherry plate mounted stabilizers?

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/2-filco-black-stabilizers.asp

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/4-filco-white-stabilizers.asp
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7153 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:20:58 »

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/2-filco-black-stabilizers.asp

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/4-filco-white-stabilizers.asp

Haha, that's even more expensive than getting the 5 sets of PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers.  I found them on MechanicalKeyboards.com as well, but $5.50 for a pair without a stabilizer wire is a joke and obscenely overpriced for a $0.03 piece of plastic.  I found a few on Taobao.  At this rate, it would be cheaper to buy a bunch and have them shipped to me here in the US than to source it locally.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #7154 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:16:30 »
Thanks for the replies! I'm actually using new housings. I will probably go with the cloth rubbing off method. I asked because I saw someone here leave the stems soaking in water with something else.

I thought it was the stem that made the difference O_O.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7155 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:19:59 »

Guess there is only one way to find out.....try it and see what happens :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7156 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:20:59 »

According to the Corsair Cherry Q&A, the stem materials haven't changed. So I think what affects vintage black is the change in molding processes and the finish those molds leave. But does that mean that the housing material has stayed the same? And did the molding process change the friction points on the stem? I'm not sure.

Guess there is only one way to find out.....try it and see what happens :D

^This

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #7157 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:22:38 »
I will update you in a couple of weeks when I try it out :).

Edit- New question

How the heck do you guys remove the female pin header out of the plastic housing? I'm having a hard time... :-X

This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/140910386490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:36:31 by Dreamre »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #7158 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 18:38:22 »

Edit- New question

How the heck do you guys remove the female pin header out of the plastic housing? I'm having a hard time... :-X

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/140910386490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I used flush cutters.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #7159 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 18:47:45 »

Edit- New question

I used a small wirecutters to cut them into individual pins with the housing still attached. Then held the pin in a needlenose pliers and gripped the housing in the cutters and pushed directly down. This pushed the housing off of the socket and the only time I broke a pin was when I wasn't pushing straight down. If I had a second needlenose I'd probably use it instead of the cutters to alleviate the low risk of cutting the socket in half.

I'll try to post a video like Swill's when I get home.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #7160 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:55:36 »
Ya, my method is by no means perfect. I tried initially with a blade and I ended up cutting the socket. I had end cutters handy and they worked pretty well, so that's what I used. I think pressing through the housing could work, but only in one direction. I think that's what nuclearsandwich did. Instead of holding the housing with cutters, you may be able to place the strip over a small opening and press into the void. If I tried that, I would use a small box vice I have so I could adjust the gap. Nuclearsandwich, do you think that would work?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #7161 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:27:12 »
Yeah...I used flush cutters, but I was like how does everyone do so many?! It's extremely timely to do. Thanks for the input!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #7162 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 07:04:17 »
Yeah...I used flush cutters, but I was like how does everyone do so many?! It's extremely timely to do. Thanks for the input!

Ya I did like 400 and it took me like 3 hours and I was movin.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #7163 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 08:48:04 »
Is there any way to disable/bypass the USB hub on the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2?

I'd like to be able to use it with mobile devices, but I'm unable to unless I use a powered hub. I know the Professional 1 came without the USB hub, so I'm hoping there's some (hopefully simple) method of bypassing it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7164 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 10:24:42 »
Is there any way to disable/bypass the USB hub on the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2?

I'd like to be able to use it with mobile devices, but I'm unable to unless I use a powered hub. I know the Professional 1 came without the USB hub, so I'm hoping there's some (hopefully simple) method of bypassing it.

Not that it will help anytime soon but have you seen Hasu's replacement controller for the HHKB?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #7165 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 10:55:42 »
How can I get my avatars background transparent? I want to use this picture, which does have a transparent background but it just turns black. It is transparent when uploaded to imgur, but once I either upload it to GH or specify avatar by URL it just turns the transparency black. Help :(

http://i.imgur.com/0rAwCqK.png

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #7166 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:25:48 »
How can I get my avatars background transparent? I want to use this picture, which does have a transparent background but it just turns black. It is transparent when uploaded to imgur, but once I either upload it to GH or specify avatar by URL it just turns the transparency black. Help :(

Try using "Upload an Avatar" instead of linking the URL to imgur. That's how I got mine transparent.

Oops. missed the part where you said you tried uploading directly. Lemme try and steal the pic for a sec

Edit: Success! Your image had to be automatically cropped as it was too big -- which filled the transparency with black.

Here's the 150x150 version:

More centered version?
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:34:40 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #7167 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 18:11:43 »

Try using "Upload an Avatar" instead of linking the URL to imgur. That's how I got mine transparent.

Oops. missed the part where you said you tried uploading directly. Lemme try and steal the pic for a sec

Edit: Success! Your image had to be automatically cropped as it was too big -- which filled the transparency with black.

Here's the 150x150 version:
Show Image

More centered version?
Show Image

YAY! :D :D :D :D

I spent quite a few hours trying to figure it out and I just couldn't, thanks so much :thumb:

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #7168 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 18:59:35 »
Do IMSTO Cherry profile caps have the same profile as BSP/GMK?

Would it look good if mixed?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7169 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 19:03:57 »

Not sure if Imstos caps are actually Cherry profile, but GMK and BSP caps both are Cherry profile.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7170 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 19:05:22 »

Not sure if Imstos caps are actually Cherry profile, but GMK and BSP caps both are Cherry profile.

IMSTO's PBT caps are Cherry profile as well.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #7171 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 22:08:39 »

Ya I did like 400 and it took me like 3 hours and I was movin.

I can't imagine how long it's going to take to sticker and lube switches...thanks again for the help!

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7172 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:31:56 »

imsto PBT will have identical look like BSP/GMK as you see in my BSP / Imsto mix
The red ESC is BSP PBT, the rest are imsto PBT Cherry profile.
60138-0
The obvious difference between imsto vs BSP vs GMK is the roughness on the surface.
Imsto PBT is rougher, so I do feel imsto PBT is less slippery to type on comparing to BST / Cherry classic PBT.
Actually, imsto PBT is my first and foremost recommendation for anyone who is looking for a decent Cherry MX PBT keycap set.  Anyway, it is just my personal experience, maybe other people may have different feelings.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:35:38 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #7173 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:40:23 »

imsto PBT will have identical look like BSP/GMK as you see in my BSP / Imsto mix
The red ESC is BSP PBT, the rest are imsto PBT Cherry profile.
(Attachment Link)
The obvious difference between imsto vs BSP vs GMK is the roughness on the surface.
Imsto PBT is rougher, so I do feel imsto PBT is less slippery to type on comparing to BST / Cherry classic PBT.
Actually, imsto PBT is my first and foremost recommendation for anyone who is looking for a decent Cherry MX PBT keycap set.  Anyway, it is just my personal experience, maybe other people may have different feelings.

IMSTO's Cherry PBT caps are some of my favorites. I have them on three of my boards right now.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline cannonking

« Reply #7174 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:32:18 »
I have a TKL Filco and want to start using Caps Lock as my Control, but the key doesn't feel very good because it has no stabiliser. Can I fit in my own stabiliser easily or not? Also, would a keyboard with an off-centre Caps fix my issue?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7175 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:34:41 »
1. I have a TKL Filco and want to start using Caps Lock as my Control, but the key doesn't feel very good because it has no stabiliser.
2. Can I fit in my own stabiliser easily or not?
3. Also, would a keyboard with an off-centre Caps fix my issue?

1. Please elaborate. Is the key somehow harder to press? What exactly is the problem? If it does not depress evenly, I can't really replicate that problem.
2. No, you would need a special plate and keycap.
3. If my suspicion is true, it would make it worse.

Where is your pinky on the keycap? Rather centered or more left/right?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #7176 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:38:17 »
Yeah, my filcos capslock isn't wobbly or uneven at all  :confused:

Offline cannonking

« Reply #7177 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 21:51:53 »
1. I have a TKL Filco and want to start using Caps Lock as my Control, but the key doesn't feel very good because it has no stabiliser.
2. Can I fit in my own stabiliser easily or not?
3. Also, would a keyboard with an off-centre Caps fix my issue?

1. Please elaborate. Is the key somehow harder to press? What exactly is the problem? If it does not depress evenly, I can't really replicate that problem.
2. No, you would need a special plate and keycap.
3. If my suspicion is true, it would make it worse.

Where is your pinky on the keycap? Rather centered or more left/right?
My pinky is on the left side. The key feels a bit mushy, it seems like it's because the left side of the key goes down before the right side, and when I bottom out the right side doesn't always touch the bottom. If I press the key in the opposite place on the right side, or in the middle, it feels fine.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7178 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 03:51:17 »
My pinky is on the left side. The key feels a bit mushy, it seems like it's because the left side of the key goes down before the right side, and when I bottom out the right side doesn't always touch the bottom. If I press the key in the opposite place on the right side, or in the middle, it feels fine.

Oh so if it's more to the left an off-center capslock would actually help. You can't really mod a Filco to have one though.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #7179 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 08:48:21 »
Not that it will help anytime soon but have you seen Hasu's replacement controller for the HHKB?

I did, but it was unclear if it made use of, or bypassed the USB hub.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7180 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 08:52:01 »

I did, but it was unclear if it made use of, or bypassed the USB hub.

It's a complete replacement for the entire controller board, as in you take out the original controller board that has usb hub and replace it with hasu's board that has no hub! :D

Offline combataran

« Reply #7181 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:30:09 »
Any way to make a 45g RF *thock* louder?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7182 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:32:13 »

The "thockiest" Topre I've ever tried was mkawa's 10AE. That's because he had used the board so much that the stock lube had worn away. Other than that I'm not sure.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #7183 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 11:11:33 »

Take it apart, use rubbing alcohol to remove all lube  :eek: , put it back together, and prepare your jimmies for rustling.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7184 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:03:26 »

I PMed Bro Caps who suggested this: Since the USB hub is hardwired, you might be able to de-solder the hub and bypass it.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7185 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:30:19 »
Where can I get Poker 2 and Realforce replacement screws online? And where can I get one of these USB things? Mine is borked...

FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7186 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:35:28 »
Where can I get Poker 2 and Realforce replacement screws online? And where can I get one of these USB things? Mine is borked...

Show Image

You can get those connectors on ebay, for example these ones look like they would fit.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7187 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:38:11 »

Show Image

You can get those connectors on ebay, for example these ones look like they would fit.

Thanks. :) Are you sure it will work?
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7188 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:43:22 »
Where can I get Poker 2 and Realforce replacement screws online?

Think the Poker 2 screws would be the same size as the Poker X and Pure which is listed in the OP. Realforce screw sizes can be found in this post by limmy.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7189 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:44:19 »

I would say 90% sure. They look identical to yours.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7190 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:52:22 »
Where can I get Poker 2 and Realforce replacement screws online?

Think the Poker 2 screws would be the same size as the Poker X and Pure which is listed in the OP. Realforce screw sizes can be found in this post by limmy.

Nice, thanks.

Okay, can anyone confirm?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7191 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:57:20 »
Would the GON kitty pad housing fit a Leopold 210tp PCB?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7192 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 11:02:01 »
Would the GON kitty pad housing fit a Leopold 210tp PCB?

I only took a quick glance but it looks like the bezels look different so I will guess no.

Okay, can anyone confirm?

Looks similar to me.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #7193 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 15:22:15 »
http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-key-switch-demo-board/

How close does each switch feel to the 'real thing', and can I easily (without soldering) take out the spring from the brown/blue/red and test an ergo clear with it?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7194 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 15:25:44 »
1. How close does each switch feel to the 'real thing'
2. Can I easily (without soldering) take out the spring from the brown/blue/red and test an ergo clear with it?

1. It's the closest you will get in terms of switch testers.
2. You will need to disassemble the case (you don't have to but it makes things easier) but you don't need to desolder. For an Ergo Clear you should get Krytox, too.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #7195 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 15:36:43 »
2. Can I easily (without soldering) take out the spring from the brown/blue/red and test an ergo clear with it?

2. You will need to disassemble the case (you don't have to but it makes things easier) but you don't need to desolder. For an Ergo Clear you should get Krytox, too.
Thanks, you've been very helpful :).

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7196 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:36:18 »

Thanks, you've been very helpful :).

To be a bit more specific about 2., I'd recommend this option from techkeys.us, and even more specifically the Thick formula.

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #7197 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 20:56:51 »
I just received a frosty flake in the mail. (Toasted and tested version.) Can I just drop it into my QFR? Or do I need to flash firmwares or something. Can someone link me the instructions if there are any?

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7198 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 20:59:14 »
I just received a frosty flake in the mail. (Toasted and tested version.) Can I just drop it into my QFR? Or do I need to flash firmwares or something. Can someone link me the instructions if there are any?

I'm pretty sure you still need to desolder the other controller and solder on your Frosty Flake. Info on the Frosty Flake can be found on the DT Wiki.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7199 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:04:00 »

I'm pretty sure you still need to desolder the other controller and solder on your Frosty Flake. Info on the Frosty Flake can be found on the DT Wiki.

Are they not socket mounted??