Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554998 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7850 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 21:24:16 »
Just for my reference the correct dimensions for standard 6.25 unit space bar to stabilizers is 50mm off the center stem, and 57.15mm for a 7 unit, correct?

I am looking for dimensions that fit the more common locations for space bars that are available aftermarket.

Referencing the DT wiki, it looks like your 6.25x and 7x measurements are correct.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7851 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 21:24:49 »
Awesome thanks CPTBadAss.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #7852 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 03:45:06 »
just curious, what is BSP MOQ?

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7853 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 05:59:12 »
Short version: Is there any method to verify the quality of a Cherry MX key switch without using electricity? Or is there any way to shorten the path to verify switch quality?

Long version: After harvesting about 87 Cherry MX Black key switch from a mint condition keyboard (Deck TG3 BL 82, ebay) I clean, lube and solder them to a Filco MJ2. At first, things go smoothly, but when I plug the keyboard back and use Aqua Test Key to test, I discover that there are quite a lot of key switches in bad condition (12, to be precise). In those bad key switches, the key code is generated randomly at the activation point. Sometimes, I need to press 4-5 times before it can be generated.
65007-0
Well, I'm quite surprise because this is the first time, I faced this big number of bad key switches / keyboard even those switches look pretty new to me.
65005-1
*Indeed, after I replace those bottom housings, the keyboard can work perfectly.

So the question is there any method to test them without using electricity (Or at least to shorten the path) because I need to spend quite sometimes to do trial and error before I can identity all those 12 bad key switches.

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 May 2014, 06:10:42 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7854 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 07:11:38 »
just curious, what is BSP MOQ?

Should be 400.

Short version: Is there any method to verify the quality of a Cherry MX key switch without using electricity? Or is there any way to shorten the path to verify switch quality?

I think every multimeter has a continuity check. Attach the probes to the switch contacts and press the switch.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7855 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 09:31:27 »
Well, I'm quite surprise because this is the first time, I faced this big number of bad key switches / keyboard even those switches look pretty new to me.

I've had the same issue. Corrosion and bent leaf springs can be the cause of this. If you replaced the switch bottoms and they worked again, I wonder if you somehow had a lot of bent leaf springs from a drop or something.

I think every multimeter has a continuity check. Attach the probes to the switch contacts and press the switch.

For sure this is the easiest way to check your soldering or to see if switches are working. No need to plug it into the computer or anything. I was doing this just yesterday. For more information on the continuity check on a multimeter, check out this ladyada guide.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7856 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:02:00 »

Someone should make a little PCB with a speaker you could put a switch it, depress it and it makes a beep if its good.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7857 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:06:38 »
Someone should make a little PCB with a speaker you could put a switch it, depress it and it makes a beep if its good.

They did, it's called a multimeter. Mines beeps when the continuity check is good.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7858 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:18:08 »

For sure this is the easiest way to check your soldering or to see if switches are working. No need to plug it into the computer or anything. I was doing this just yesterday. For more information on the continuity check on a multimeter, check out this ladyada guide.

Hi BlueBär and CPTBadAss,

Well noted with thanks. Perhaps, the involvement of electric checking by using a multimeters is unavoidable.
Currently I had a Kyoritsu multimeters but I only used it to check the voltage or amplifiers. Thank you for your suggestions, I will get a very small clip connectors and definitely will do that next time.

I've had the same issue. Corrosion and bent leaf springs can be the cause of this. If you replaced the switch bottoms and they worked again, I wonder if you somehow had a lot of bent leaf springs from a drop or something.

I have no idea why this time it had so many bad switches. Corrosion would be the reason but quite weird because it looks very shinny. Never mind, lesson learnt, I must do the checking before soldering next time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:52:11 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7859 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:19:59 »
Sound promising  :thumb:
If someone make that kind of PCB / switch tester / lube station, I will order immediately  :))
I like linear switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7860 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:55:40 »
Sound promising  :thumb:
If someone make that kind of PCB / switch tester / lube station, I will order immediately  :))

65020-0

just a cartoon  ;D

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7861 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:05:14 »
(Attachment Link)
just a cartoon  ;D

Oh man, it's nice. I didn't notice this.
It seems the speakers implementation is complicated, perhaps just a simple 3mm replaceable led would be more than enough for me.
I like linear switches

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7862 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:54:08 »
I just did a quick test by using the trace detector mode with speakers enabled on my multimeter.
It works perfectly. The bad switch obviously output unstable signal. The speakers from the multimeter does help to identity.

So I take a picture just in case someone face the same issue as me.
No more soldering needed, indeed this is not the best way to test because I still need to turn the test board up-side-down. But well, it is better than nothing.

Thank you, BlueBär, CPTBadAss and Ray

I like linear switches

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7863 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:55:22 »
It seems the speakers implementation is complicated, perhaps just a simple 3mm replaceable led would be more than enough for me.

Nah, nothing complicated, if you simply use a piezo beeper it instead of a normal speaker it will simply beep when the switch works, that's how multimeters do it too afaik.

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #7864 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 22:53:31 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=696

Should I buy this keyboard? I don't need it, I have a Shine 3 TKL, Poker II, and a G710+. It's extremely expensive, and really it would be complete avarice. I guess a weak excuse would be I would like to try out Green switches.

Poker II

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7865 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 22:58:16 »

Should I buy this keyboard? I don't need it, I have a Shine 3 TKL, Poker II, and a G710+. It's extremely expensive, and really it would be complete avarice. I guess a weak excuse would be I would like to try out Green switches.

I have no idea. Do you want it? Does your budget allow for it? If you can afford it and you want it, get it. If you can't and don't actually want it, don't.

If you just want to try some green switches, buy a handful and swap them into your keyboard or get a hold of a tester such as the CM one.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7866 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 09:53:04 »

If you want to try greens you can do it for a lot cheaper.

The point of this keyboard is the cost. Taihuojin (the Chinese name for the gold edition) is basically Chinese for "I''m really rich, look at all of this gold stuff that I have that you don't"

So if you want that in your life, fine. I think it's a waste to spend that much on a non-custom or non-topre.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7867 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 12:51:20 »

Oh wow $264.

you can get a 60% korean custom for that price of maybe a tkl for a bit more

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #7868 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 15:11:58 »
Thanks for the comments, y'all. I have some strange nights where I need to fight the impulse to buy something that just looks cool. "Damn that looks nice/is kind of rare; I have the cash, why not?" situations.

There are wiser ways to spend the money in this hobby. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind putting the cash down for nice keyboards, but there are better ways.

Just need to learn to fight the impulse, perhaps not making it so public.

Thanks again.
Poker II

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7869 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:01:03 »
Thanks for the comments, y'all. I have some strange nights where I need to fight the impulse to buy something that just looks cool. "Damn that looks nice/is kind of rare; I have the cash, why not?" situations.

There are wiser ways to spend the money in this hobby. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind putting the cash down for nice keyboards, but there are better ways.

Just need to learn to fight the impulse, perhaps not making it so public.

Thanks again.

If you ever feel like you have too much money, I can always give you my paypal to deposit into. If you ever do feel an impulsive need in the middle of the night to deposit money in there, don't hesitate to do so as well.

Nah, you know I kid...

But seriously tho...

I've had and still have a ton hobbies and this keyboard thing is my latest one. Pretty much the rest of my hobbies are really pricey to maintain and keep them up so I had to let go of a few cause I had to save up for months for a fad and once I've gotten it, a new thing comes out.

When I got into keyboards, I straight away did my research. Planned out what I wanted to achieve with it and just go straight there. Skip all the collecting, and unnecessary spending and just know what I want, and aim for it, as you can read in my signature. For me, my end goal was to do an affordable customized keyboard and so I got a cool 60% with some amazon vouchers during a school survey to play around with. Now i'm just waiting for certain keycaps and parts to come online in the group buy and the vendor forums and I'm done spending, or at least I hope.

I hope you can find what you want the end result of this keyboard hobby to be. Of course it doesn't have to be like mine. And it doesnt have to end at 1 keyboard or anything, as you've seen here on the forums. But just know what you want and decide. Take your time and plan each buy carefully, weighing out the pros and cons. If you really want it, go ahead and pull the trigger. If it doesnt turn out well, there's always the classifieds to salvage what's left of the item's worth.

Some people like to collect many small stuff. Other just like to go for 1 really huge and expensive buy. It really depends.

All the best! :)

I have a question. What's the cheapest topre board to get hold of?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7870 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:04:02 »

That should be the Topre Type Heaven.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7871 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:10:11 »

Oh wow and even that is $145 on amazon...

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7872 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 18:11:45 »

I heard that the novatouch will be $150, if you want to wait for that instead

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7873 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 21:08:51 »

Nope, it won't be.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7874 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 21:17:27 »

That's apparently the "early adopter pricing" which YuukiHaruto was a part of. It remains to be seen what the actual price is.

I was mistaken, my link is pricing for the Rapid-I. My bad.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 May 2014, 21:30:49 by CPTBadAss »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7875 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 21:19:13 »

That's apparently the "early adopter pricing" which YuukiHaruto was a part of. It remains to be seen what the actual price is.

That's the QF-I post, not Novatouch though.

I've been given a range for the Novatouch, but $150 is not in that range.  The Type Heaven will be its closest competitor though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7876 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 21:30:25 »

That's the QF-I post, not Novatouch though.

I've been given a range for the Novatouch, but $150 is not in that range.  The Type Heaven will be its closest competitor though.

Ugh you're right. My bad. Too many soldering fumes :(

Offline rosslerosa

• MF DOOM
« Reply #7877 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 23:16:30 »
Can I still buy GH60? or do I have to wait for the next round?
Just wondering because I see the order form is still up.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7878 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 02:16:11 »
Can I still buy GH60? or do I have to wait for the next round?
Just wondering because I see the order form is still up.

Right above the link to the order form there is an ordering deadline in bright red which has passed over a year ago. So no, you can't.

You will probably be able to buy one after they have shipped in the classifieds though.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #7879 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 04:52:24 »
Are there any white on brown Cherry or GMK keysets?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7880 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 05:00:11 »

I think Ivan once posted some brownish Cherry caps but I'm not sure. Even if there are some though they're probably very rare.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #7881 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 05:13:54 »
I think Ivan once posted some brownish Cherry caps but I'm not sure. Even if there are some though they're probably very rare.
Probably yeah. I am mostly interested in a white on brown Esc-key but as far as I can recall I have never seen the brown ones.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7882 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 07:38:17 »

I've never seen this color combination either.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 11:16:38 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7886 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:24:49 »
Given that a large number of people have wooden desks, I have always wondered why brown was not a popular color for keyboards and keys.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7887 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:27:12 »
Given that a large number of people have wooden desks, I have always wondered why brown was not a popular color for keyboards and keys.

Might be hard to match to the wood of your desk? Not sure.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7888 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:33:15 »

I don't think this is a simple question :p

Maybe because wood looks really old-fashioned, especially for computer peripherals.  Most seem to be black or silver (or white) these days, with a few exceptions like Ducky Yellow, and custom keyboards.

Assuming you mean plain brown, and not brown wood-textured, the Retro DSA key set was popular, but only amongst a small dedicated subset of enthusiasts.  The recent Coffee GB by KeyPop (also brown) attracted single figure orders (according to one post).

Just seems that brown is not that popular a colour.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #7889 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:50:33 »
What printing method was used on the IBM model M keycaps? Model number I have is 13914041

Reason why I ask is this keyboard is 25 years old and the legends are 100% clear and un-faded, yet there is no evidence of dye sublimation etc
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7890 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:52:17 »
What printing method was used on the IBM model M keycaps? Model number I have is 13914041

Reason why I ask is this keyboard is 25 years old and the legends are 100% clear and un-faded, yet there is no evidence of dye sublimation etc

Dye-sublimation, of course.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7891 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:52:30 »

Dye sublimated PBT
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #7892 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 21:13:50 »

Dye sublimated PBT

Dye-sublimation, of course.

Thought it must be, but you can't see the dye sublimation from the underside ... Pretty amazing how well thought out the M is ... A testimony to the old "built to last" mindset that has unfortunately faded over time and is almost non-existent now-days.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline combataran

« Reply #7893 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 23:11:44 »
How good are the Vortex DS PBT caps? Just curious.
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7894 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 23:24:01 »
Thought it must be, but you can't see the dye sublimation from the underside ... Pretty amazing how well thought out the M is ... A testimony to the old "built to last" mindset that has unfortunately faded over time and is almost non-existent now-days.

Dyesub is really a bad word for it. The process is more like a Dye Diffusion. The dye comes in on the top of the keycap, and only goes in less than a mm. You can't see it on the bottom at all.

I agree though. The M, despite being a huge cost cutting measure over the F is still built sturdily enough to work after decades. I sometimes wish that things were more expensive and repairable instead of cheaper and disposable, but that seems to be the way we are going.

Computer repair used to be a big thing, but soon, I expect they'll be more disposable. After that, vehicles will be disposable, then housing, then we'll make whole societies disposable.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 23:26:33 by dorkvader »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7895 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 00:13:55 »

There are plenty of reviews for them already on this website. What version are you looking for? R1 italics or R2 BiColor?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7896 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 00:18:08 »
RGB mods from Desko keyboards were not made by BSP, right? I.e., they do not have the banana-like right shift?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7897 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 00:24:41 »
RGB mods from Desko keyboards were not made by BSP, right? I.e., they do not have the banana-like right shift?

The originative ones? Or OG Deskos?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7898 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 00:25:19 »

The originative ones? Or OG Deskos?

The OG ones.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline combataran

« Reply #7899 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 00:35:36 »

There are plenty of reviews for them already on this website. What version are you looking for? R1 italics or R2 BiColor?
The bicolors.
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database