Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554323 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8050 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 18:08:37 »
Why not get a black Pro 2 and a Type-S and swap the plungers. Then you could always sell the white "non-Type-S" haha
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 May 2014, 18:14:27 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline juguerre

« Reply #8051 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 01:08:07 »
Because I have a thin desk at my home workspace I get a "clock-clock"  instead of "click - click" from my kb. I think it's due to some resonate think. This is not happening when I  type with the kb on my lap. So,  which could be the best cheap solution for that? A mouse pad or something like that?
Thanks!
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8052 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 01:10:55 »
Because I have a thin desk at my home workspace I get a "clock-clock"  instead of "click - click" from my kb. I think it's due to some resonate think. This is not happening when I  type with the kb on my lap. So,  which could be the best cheap solution for that? A mouse pad or something like that?
Thanks!

I use some drawer liner under mine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8053 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 02:32:50 »
Thanks!

Drawer liner or a small towel are both popular choices.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8054 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 07:00:45 »

Drawer liner or a small towel are both popular choices.

For people who don't want to buy my EPDM mats.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8055 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 10:20:13 »
Three questions:
1. Can you remove plate mounted Cherry stabs by desoldering just the one switch in the middle?
2. I assume that the sliders of plate and PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers are identical. Is this correct?
3. Does clipping stabilizers affect the feel of Cherry plate mounted stabs?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8056 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 10:23:01 »
Three questions:
1. Can you remove plate mounted Cherry stabs by desoldering just the one switch in the middle?
2. I assume that the sliders of plate and PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers are identical. Is this correct?
3. Does clipping stabilizers affect the feel of Cherry plate mounted stabs?

1.  If there is a slot in the plate connecting all three then yes, if not no.

2.  Yes.

3.  Yes, in the same way as clipping PCB mount.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8057 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 10:28:37 »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8058 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 10:30:53 »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Not a problem.  Though there might still be a difference between plate and pcb mount cherry stabs just due to the plate.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #8059 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 16:36:39 »
Thanks for answers on the o-rings sp keycaps issue.  I have blue switches to clarify.  So as I understand it it's basically impossible to use o-rings on sp keycaps? So my question is then, are  soft landing pads compatible with sp keycaps?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8060 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 16:40:24 »
Thanks for answers on the o-rings sp keycaps issue.  I have blue switches to clarify.  So as I understand it it's basically impossible to use o-rings on sp keycaps? So my question is then, are  soft landing pads compatible with sp keycaps?

So how blue switches work, you're already going to have a louder switch to begin with. It's not "impossible", you'll just need to stack more o-rings to have it work, as you've already figured out. Soft landing pads have the same issue with the SP keycaps. You can also try the myriad of suggestions that were posted earlier. I highly suggest you put drawer liner in your keyboard.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8061 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 16:48:04 »
So is the right shift on the Leopold FC660M the same size as the right?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #8062 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 16:57:50 »
When do you need to use a ferrite bead when making a DIY cable?

Cause looking at some of our artisans making their own DIY cables, how come they don't need a ferrite bead?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8063 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 17:19:31 »

Is the right shift same as the right shift? Yes  :))
Is the right shift same as the left shift? No. According to eyesmiles and rjrich, you'll need two 2.25x shift keys.

Cause looking at some of our artisans making their own DIY cables, how come they don't need a ferrite bead?

I believe that it's to help with EMF interference. But I don't think there's a lot of EMF interference in cables. It's just there for overkill. So when people make them, it's nice to have but not 100% necessary.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8064 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 17:26:30 »
I believe that it's to help with EMF interference. But I don't think there's a lot of EMF interference in cables. It's just there for overkill. So when people make them, it's nice to have but not 100% necessary.

I have wondered about this a lot. They seemed very common a decade or 2 ago, and quite rare now.

Would you consider the need to be equal in just about any cable, or would some keyboards/cables/connectors be more prone to accumulate capacitance or some other property than others?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8065 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 17:31:40 »

I have wondered about this a lot. They seemed very common a decade or 2 ago, and quite rare now.

Would you consider the need to be equal in just about any cable, or would some keyboards/cables/connectors be more prone to accumulate capacitance or some other property than others?

I'm definitely not an authority on this but I suspect that like ESD, EMF is a lesser concern now. But like I said, I'm just assuming. It might be better to ask a cable maker or someone who understands much better such as mkawa or dorkvader.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8066 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 18:08:10 »

The Leo 660M's right shift is 2.25u, the same size as the left shift key on any standard ANSI keyboard. It takes two shift keys in the same 2.25u size.

Offline combataran

« Reply #8067 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:18:11 »
What is the appeal of OTD boards that justify their celestial prices?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #8068 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:23:13 »

They are the best built customs, the group buys are pretty exclusive to enter and require a certain number of 'points' on OTD to even enter, and even after that, usually no more then 100~+ of each model are made once and never again. the most common 356 is the DGE with about 200 units made. There are two types of 356 minis as well, V1 and V2, V1 came in red, black and gunmetal, and V2 was much more recent and only came in red.

Offline combataran

« Reply #8069 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:26:04 »

They are the best built customs, the group buys are pretty exclusive to enter and require a certain number of 'points' on OTD to even enter, and even after that, usually no more then 100~+ of each model are made once and never again. the most common 356 is the DGE with about 200 units made. There are two types of 356 minis as well, V1 and V2, V1 came in red, black and gunmetal, and V2 was much more recent and only came in red.
There's a more recent mini huh? Now I'm interested. What's the going price for a Mini v2?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #8070 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:29:57 »
There's a more recent mini huh? Now I'm interested. What's the going price for a Mini v2?

$400 unassembled, $500-550 for assembled

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8071 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:41:30 »
I've seen them go higher assembled. Somewhere in the $650 range.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8072 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:46:30 »
I've seen them go higher assembled. Somewhere in the $650 range.

Just for an assembled 356mini? Profit on OTD is really, really, really a big NO NO, so super high priced 356 series boards are not seen very often. the reason why the 356 series is the most wanted and most expensive/rare series of keyboards on earth is because once people have them, they literally are not let go of, ever. Geekhack always seems to have users that get clacks/keyboards and just sell them and give them up after a few weeks of use, but most people who actually can get their hands on a 356 board keep them for life.

Offline combataran

« Reply #8073 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:51:03 »
Oh my, that IS pricey. Welp, better start saving.  ;D

That being said, what are the other better aluminium 60% cases out there(preferably with brass weights and a cheaper price tag)?

@Dubsgalore I've seen a 356cl and 356dge go for 12000RMB and 10000RMB respectively in a chinese board forum. The scary part is that the boards were actually sold.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8074 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:52:46 »

That being said, what are the other better aluminium 60% cases out there(preferably with brass weights and a cheaper price tag)?

@Dubsgalore I've seen a 356cl and 356dge go for 12000RMB and 10000RMB respectively in a chinese board forum. The scary part is that the boards were actually sold.

If all you want is an aluminum 60% case, maybe the 356 series ain't the easiest option :)) , why not check out mechanicalkeyboards.com? they have $100 aluminum 60% cases there I think.. :)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8075 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:55:06 »
Combataran, the 356CL and DGE are BY FAR the most wanted Korean customs. They're considered the absolute best, which is why they sold for such ridiculous prices. 356L and 356N are close.

The only 356 board that multiple members of GH own is the 356mini. The rest are just too rare, and never really leave OTD members hands. I mean.. Tsangan has a 356N MK2, but that doesn't come near the 356CL/DGE, 356L or 356N.

More info on the series can be found here : http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/the-korean-custom-keyboards-1-356-series-t255.html?hilit=356CL

Worth noting there are other, non-356 OTD customs. The 456GT and 360corsa.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:56:53 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline combataran

« Reply #8076 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 10:56:58 »

If all you want is an aluminum 60% case, maybe the 356 series ain't the easiest option :)) , why not check out mechanicalkeyboards.com? they have $100 aluminum 60% cases there I think.. :)
All I see are TEX cases for pokers(too low a profile) and those horrible vortex cases. Anything between $170 and $250?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8077 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 11:04:12 »
Combataran, the 356CL and DGE are BY FAR the most wanted Korean customs. They're considered the absolute best, which is why they sold for such ridiculous prices. 356L and 356N are close.

The only 356 board that multiple members of GH own is the 356mini. The rest are just too rare, and never really leave OTD members hands. I mean.. Tsangan has a 356N MK2, but that doesn't come near the 356CL/DGE, 356L or 356N.

More info on the series can be found here : http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/the-korean-custom-keyboards-1-356-series-t255.html?hilit=356CL

Worth noting there are other, non-356 OTD customs. The 456GT and 360corsa.

Few other members here have MK2s, but those members are all active OTD members, so it doesn't really count. The 456 and 360 Series boards can be looked at like triple A series if the 356 series is major leagues

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8078 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 11:07:02 »
All I see are TEX cases for pokers(too low a profile) and those horrible vortex cases. Anything between $170 and $250?

Yeah I don't like the low profile cases either. Duck Poker cases exist..and pop up on kbdmania often, I just sold my LZCE but you see them pop up on GH and kbdmania sometimes, the Duck V2 cases can be used with most 60% pcbs I believe as well, that one may be the best to look out for now

Offline combataran

« Reply #8079 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 11:11:46 »

Yeah I don't like the low profile cases either. Duck Poker cases exist..and pop up on kbdmania often, I just sold my LZCE but you see them pop up on GH and kbdmania sometimes, the Duck V2 cases can be used with most 60% pcbs I believe as well, that one may be the best to look out for now
That's the one with the raiser block right? Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for those too but no luck. That, and the 356mini. What about the FMJ and Hammer cases? Do they belong in their own category?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8080 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 11:14:23 »

That's the one with the raiser block right? Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for those too but no luck. That, and the 356mini. What about the FMJ and Hammer cases? Do they belong in their own category?

Nah I forgot about those, those are about in the same price range, $200~

If you're looking for a 356mini on geekhack, you're are almost definitely not going to find it, you're probably going to have to venture over to kbdmania to find one :P

and yes the Duck V2 has the raiser block. There was a GB for it a while ago but I think that'd be a great option for you. that or the FMJ/Hammer

Offline combataran

« Reply #8081 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 11:19:45 »

Nah I forgot about those, those are about in the same price range, $200~

If you're looking for a 356mini on geekhack, you're are almost definitely not going to find it, you're probably going to have to venture over to kbdmania to find one :P

and yes the Duck V2 has the raiser block. There was a GB for it a while ago but I think that'd be a great option for you. that or the FMJ/Hammer
How tolerant are the kbdmania folks towards foreigners? Chinese forums are one thing, Korean forums are a totally different beast. And what about OTD?

I think I'll just keep my scopes on the duck mini v2 and the 356mini. Fmj cases look...different, and the Hammer, don't see thosaround anymore. Not since the GH60 days.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8082 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 11:26:21 »
Sales on OTD market for custom boards will usually say 'will not sell to foreigners'.
github

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8083 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 12:11:21 »
They will proxy to you, though. You just have to find someone to proxy for you.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline combataran

« Reply #8084 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 12:59:07 »
Sales on OTD market for custom boards will usually say 'will not sell to foreigners'.
What about kbdmania then?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8085 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:03:19 »
356/456/360 series don't come up on kbdmania often at all.
github

Offline combataran

« Reply #8086 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:30:04 »
356/456/360 series don't come up on kbdmania often at all.
That sucks major b*lls. Guess I'll go hide in a corner and wait for a duck mini to pop up then. Or a hammer. Or an fmj case. Not the premium edition though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8087 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:38:30 »

They're cool and rare...like everything else  :)). I don't know about being "the best" Korean custom but they're certainly very nice. I definitely wouldn't say no to a pink 456GT. I feel like sometimes the OTD boards are put on this pedestal because of rarity when you can get a KMAC or 2TU or GON more easily. And they're *really* nice boards.

What's the going price for a Mini v2?

Please try not to ask for pricing here. Thanks. I know it was harmless though so no worries. :D

Should also say there's some really cool info in the last two pages about Korean customs that you don't see everyday ^__^

« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:44:13 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Jixr

« Reply #8088 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 14:41:25 »
best way to clean keycaps?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8089 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 14:43:04 »
Denture cleaning tablets always work well
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8090 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 14:43:34 »
Here's the way I do it.. Get some hot water. Not boiling, but hot enough so that putting your hand in it would be uncomfortable after a few seconds. Put a few denture tablets in there, then put your keycaps in. Stir every 5-10 minutes until the water is cold. Then transfer them to some more hot water and stir it for a few minutes. Then dry.
github

Offline Jixr

« Reply #8091 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 14:47:41 »
would denture tablets affect anything with keycaps wiht pad printed legends or anything like that?

I have a mix of abs/pbt with pad printing, dub shots, dye subs, etc. I would just like to get them all cleaned up.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8092 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 14:49:29 »
would denture tablets affect anything with keycaps wiht pad printed legends or anything like that?

I have a mix of abs/pbt with pad printing, dub shots, dye subs, etc. I would just like to get them all cleaned up.
It has never effected pad printing for me. I don't know for sure though.

By the way, I use 2 or 3 tablets for 1 keyset, so you'll want to use a few if your cleaning lots of sets.
github

Offline Jixr

« Reply #8093 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 14:52:25 »
yeah, I just hate when my keyboards start to feel greesey, and I have around 6 or 7 keysets I would like to clean up.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #8094 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 15:06:23 »
I go with 2 tabs for 1 set its pretty good you don't need more than that. It won't affect the pad printed caps what so ever.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8095 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 15:35:28 »

I've been cleaning all types of caps for over a year with denture tabs with no issues. Think about it, they're meant to clean something that goes in your mouth. It can't be *that* harsh. If you're really that paranoid, you can just wash them with dish soap.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #8096 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 15:43:49 »
I'm not worried. I just wanted to make sure. I don't know anything about denture sets or whatever. I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store. I'm getting a new alum case in the mail Monday and want to get things cleaned up so when I put it together it's all ready to go

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8097 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 15:45:20 »
I just don't get all this fancy stuff. I have cleaned thousands of keys squeaky clean without any further work on 99% of them by using a spoonful of powdered laundry detergent (I like Charlie's or 365) in a liter of hot water. 5-20 minutes is plenty of time. Adding half a spoon of Oxi or washing soda probably helps.

Rinse well about 3 times pouring back and forth between a bowl and a colander, and toss out on a T-shirt to dry for a little while.

All that other rigamarole is just a big waste of time, money, and energy.

If you shake the water out of each key and roll them over right-side-up on the T-shirt, the entire affair, including drying, hardly takes half an hour.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8098 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 15:48:28 »
I just don't get all this fancy stuff. I have cleaned thousands of keys squeaky clean without any further work on 99% of them by using a spoonful of powdered laundry detergent (I like Charlie's or 365) in a liter of hot water. 5-20 minutes is plenty of time. Adding half a spoon of Oxi or washing soda probably helps.

Rinse well about 3 times pouring back and forth between a bowl and a colander, and toss out on a T-shirt to dry for a little while.

All that other rigamarole is just a big waste of time, money, and energy.

If you shake the water out of each key and roll them over right-side-up on the T-shirt, the entire affair, including drying, hardly takes half an hour.

I don't get powdered laundry detergent. I've never seen it before and I think it's fancy lol. Same thing with Oxi, I don't have Oxi in my home. I know most people have dish soap so I always suggest that in addition to denture tabs. If you have it and it works for you, that's great. I just don't think powdered laundry detergent is commonly used.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8099 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 16:09:29 »
I know most people have dish soap so I always suggest that in addition to denture tabs.

I think that laundry detergent works better than dish soap and certainly rinses easier.

I gave up that syrupy liquid laundry detergent years ago and never looked back. I think that the powder works better and it is way cheaper. Just make sure that it is dissolving properly.

Oxi/Biz type products are very helpful cleaning aids, if a bit harsh on fabric. It only takes a little bit.
- Jimmy Carter 2015