Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554467 times)

Offline BlueBär

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8400 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 09:55:48 »
Are orange and salmon the same switch? I have seen both descriptions come up. I think some of the old apple extended II keyboard had salmon (I think).

Any good options for blue alps donner boards? If I find blue alps, do I have to watch out for fakes of some kind?

Thanks Blue for your answer as well.

They're not the same switch. I would recommend the Deskthority Wiki as it has lots of documentation about the various Alps switches: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_series
A list of boards that come with blue Alps is here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCM_Blue#Keyboards
Be aware though that some of those boards come with other Alps, too (often with white Alps which are worse and not rare at all). There are some blue Alps clones, but their colour is different. You can see it in the DT Wiki entry for blue Alps.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8401 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 09:57:52 »
Are orange and salmon the same switch? I have seen both descriptions come up. I think some of the old apple extended II keyboard had salmon (I think).

Any good options for blue alps donner boards? If I find blue alps, do I have to watch out for fakes of some kind?

Thanks Blue for your answer as well.

They're not the same switch. I would recommend the Deskthority Wiki as it has lots of documentation about the various Alps switches: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_series
A list of boards that come with blue Alps is here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCM_Blue#Keyboards
Be aware though that some of those boards come with other Alps, too (often with white Alps which are worse and not rare at all). There are some blue Alps clones, but their colour is different. You can see it in the DT Wiki entry for blue Alps.

Thx

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8402 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 10:06:53 »
I like mx browns because of the tactility. I will be trying clears soon. I would like blues if it was not for the reset of the click and the actuation point being at different places.

1) What color alps switches would I like? 

2) Are orange and salmon the same switch? I have seen both descriptions come up. I think some of the old apple extended II keyboard had salmon (I think).

3) Any good options for blue alps donor boards? If I find blue alps, do I have to watch out for fakes of some kind?

1) Alps switches come in a larger variety and subtleties versus MX in my opinion. You may like complicated Salmon or Orange Alps. Or you may like some of the tactile Alps clones. I thought the Salmon Alps I had felt a lot like MX Browns in terms of the lack of tactility. I don't think MX Browns are that tactile versus MX Clears. It's hard to say based on your description....and because I forgot what Orange vs Salmon Alps feel like.

2) No they're not the same. Yes AEKIIs have Salmon Alps.

3) Many sellers will mix Monterey Blue Alps clones with complicated blue Alps. You can check the DT wiki for the differences. I don't think they feel the same. Here is a partial list of boards with Blue Alps switches. I got mine from a Datacomp XT. When looking for Blue Alps, I found that a picture is extremely helpful.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8403 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 10:17:04 »

AEK (Apple Extended Keyboard, usually M0115) has pink/orange/salmon Alps, as does Apple Keyboard M0110 - wrong edit M0116.

AEK2 (Apple Extended Keyboard II, usually M3501 or M0312) has cream or white dampened Alps.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 June 2014, 13:06:29 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8404 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 10:20:48 »

AEK (Apple Extended Keyboard, usually M0115) has pink/orange/salmon Alps, as does Apple Keyboard M0110.

AEK2 (Apple Extended Keyboard II, usually M3501 or M0312) has cream or white dampened Alps.

DT Wiki says AEKII came in Salmon Aps too. Probably a bit rarer. But they do exist. I agree with you on the AEK.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8405 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 11:06:12 »
Probably a bit rarer. But they do exist.

Never knew that. I have had a dozen AEK2s and never seen anything but dampened.

Were those salmons the very low serial numbers?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8406 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 11:09:32 »
Never knew that. I have had a dozen AEK2s and never seen anything but dampened.

Were those salmons the very low serial numbers?

No idea.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8407 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 11:55:20 »
AEK (Apple Extended Keyboard, usually M0115) has pink/orange/salmon Alps, as does Apple Keyboard M0110.

I think fohat.digs meant "as does M0116." The M0110 is the ancient one with tee mount ALPS, and certainly never came with salmon or orange ALPS.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8408 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 11:57:28 »

I think fohat.digs meant "as does M0116." The M0110 is the ancient one with tee mount ALPS, and certainly never came with salmon or orange ALPS.

For a moment, I thought he might have meant the M0110A but I think you're right. My M0116 defintely had Pink/Salmon Alps and the M0110A had the tee mounts.

Offline combataran

« Reply #8409 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 21:38:54 »
What color are these switch stickers?

Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8410 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 21:40:58 »
What color are these switch stickers?

Show Image

blue or teal

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8411 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 21:41:36 »
metallic blue
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8412 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 22:09:36 »
Thanks for all the Alps help guys...  :)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8413 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 02:04:34 »

Have you decided what you're going to get?

Offline combataran

« Reply #8414 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 04:03:12 »
Is it possible to tag someone in a post?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8415 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 04:15:03 »
Is it possible to tag someone in a post?

link their profile...other than that this isn't facebook

Offline combataran

« Reply #8416 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 04:56:12 »
Dammit. Thanks. :thumb:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8417 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 06:06:18 »

Have you decided what you're going to get?

I will keep my eyes open for complex blues and salmon. It will probably take a while for me to find them, so I will continue research in that time.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8418 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 07:26:24 »
I will keep my eyes open for complex blues and salmon.

Nobody has convinced me that there is any substantive difference between orange and salmon.

The orange boards I have had have often felt better than the salmons.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #8419 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 09:42:08 »
It seems that is a rubber dome.

Anyway, I found this ones in my basement: Unitek K-156 and a Amstrad PCW 8256 keyboard. The Unitek have cherry mx black switches.

Having Cherry MX Black switches, is a good thing? I am really a newbie in the keyboard world. What are the difference between the switches black, red, blue, brown?

Yes that's a rubberdome.

The difference between the switches is their weight and feel. Blacks are fairly heavy and linear (meaning that they go straight down with no bump or anything), Blues are lighter and make a click noise when you press down a key and Browns have a bump you will feel while pressing them down. Reds are just blacks with a lighter spring.
If you like it use it, if not I'm sure you would be able to sell it once you fulfill the requirements for the classifieds :thumb:

I will keep it, for now. Despite I already have it for many years, I can consider it my first Cherry MX keyboard. I am going to do some modeling on it, because the keyboard have this really dirty yellow effect. Probably I will paint it with a lighter grey color and do the USB mod to bring it to my work.
In one month I got one IBM Model M, I am still struggling to find another one with a portuguese layout to change de keycaps, for free.
One Unitek k-156, whith Cherry MX black switches.
And since my personal computer is a Macbook Pro, I purchased, for 27$, a AEK II. However, after some reading, probably wasn't a big deal, but I am happy to find one with ISO layout. And now I have the chance, for the same price of the AEK II, to buy a Apple standard keyboard. But I don't know if it is worth it. Is probably manufactured in Irland, because have ISO layout. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 June 2014, 09:58:55 by gustavQ »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8420 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 09:46:46 »
Now I have the chance, for the same price of the AEK II, to buy a Apple standard keyboard. But I don't know if it is worth it. Is probably manufactured in Irland, because have ISO layout.

You have the chance to buy an AEK for $27? That's a nice price. If you like it get it.

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #8421 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 09:58:06 »
Now I have the chance, for the same price of the AEK II, to buy a Apple standard keyboard. But I don't know if it is worth it. Is probably manufactured in Irland, because have ISO layout.

You have the chance to buy an AEK for $27? That's a nice price. If you like it get it.

Unfortunately, isn't the AEK, is the Apple Keyboard (aka Apple Standard Keyboard). If it was the AEK, I would buy it immediately not thinking twice.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8422 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 10:00:37 »

Unfortunately, isn't the AEK, is the Apple Keyboard (aka Apple Standard Keyboard). If it was the AEK, I would buy it immediately not thinking twice.

Oh the M0116? I like that board as well. The switches weren't my thing but you might like they and the layout is great. I still think it's a decent price. I paid $20 for a M0116.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8423 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 10:48:06 »
I think he means the AEK-looking one with rubber domes, which I would say is not worth $27.

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #8424 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 14:53:24 »
I think he means the AEK-looking one with rubber domes, which I would say is not worth $27.

The seller sent me this picture:

My reference was the wikipedia, comparing the pictures, it seems to me that is the one that the CPTBadAss referred, the M0116.

Can someone give me some feedback from the cream Apls? I only tried the buckling springs from the IBM model M and the cherry mx blacks. What can I expect?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8425 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:23:45 »

Show Image

My reference was the wikipedia, comparing the pictures, it seems to me that is the one that the CPTBadAss referred, the M0116.

Can someone give me some feedback from the cream Apls? I only tried the buckling springs from the IBM model M and the cherry mx blacks. What can I expect?

If your M0116 in fact has Cream Alps, they're dampened tactile switches. They closest modern equivalent is the Matias Quiet switches. They'll have a bump and be relatively quiet, but no click. More info can be found here.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8426 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:27:42 »

Show Image

Oops, I was thinking of the Apple Design Keyboard. Didn't realize the M0116 is called the Apple Standard Keyboard.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8427 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:31:54 »
Does anyone know of any issues present with this PCB, or tried it out before? Not interested in programmability as long as it has an fn layer enabling arrow keys and function keys and some way to control backlighting on/off (and maybe brightness, but that would just be a bonus).

If anyone knows of any better 60% PCBs that can be purchased right now, please link also. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:35:19 by minho »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8428 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:32:49 »
Does anyone know of any issues present with this PCB, or tried it out before? Not interested in programmability as long as it has an fn layer enabling arrow keys and function keys and some way to control backlighting on/off (and maybe brightness, but that would just be a bonus).

Which PCB are you referring to?

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8429 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:33:51 »

Sorry, just edited my op with correct URL. formatting on phone is a pain.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8430 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:42:26 »

That's BeastMask's FaceU PCB. The updated version, the FaceW, is being sold by sprit in his Group Buy thread (Round 2).
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8431 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 15:55:02 »

That's BeastMask's FaceU PCB. The updated version, the FaceW, is being sold by sprit in his Group Buy thread (Round 2).

Do you know of any issues for it? I would participate in the sprit GB, but my gut tells me that parts won't be shipped until next year and I would like to build my own 60% before then.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8432 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 19:10:01 »
Do you know of any issues for it? I would participate in the sprit GB, but my gut tells me that parts won't be shipped until next year and I would like to build my own 60% before then.

I haven't heard of any issues with the FaceW.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #8433 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:09:01 »
Plz add this to FAQ.
KTOD = Keyboard Talk of the Day

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8434 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:19:58 »
Plz add this to FAQ.
KTOD = Keyboard Talk of the Day

Added to the Glossary.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8435 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 23:38:39 »
Any custom plates (openable switches) that will fit the WASD v2 for a decent price?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8436 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 06:07:56 »
Any custom plates (openable switches) that will fit the WASD v2 for a decent price?
If I'm not mistaken, v2 comes in tkl and full size. jd is running an ic for full size plates. I'm not sure if there are any easily found tkl custom plates.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8437 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 08:13:49 »
If I'm not mistaken, v2 comes in tkl and full size. jd is running an ic for full size plates. I'm not sure if there are any easily found tkl custom plates.

Oops. I guess I should have mentioned that. I have the TKL version. I suppose I can always file it of I really want to.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8438 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 10:46:09 »

Oops. I guess I should have mentioned that. I have the TKL version. I suppose I can always file it of I really want to.

I don't think there are any TKL plates floating around right now

you can always file it, like you said, or you can see if you can get one in classifieds.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8439 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 11:07:12 »
I think whiskeytango is going to open a group buy in the (near?) future for the Universal 104/108 plate, which can be cut to work as a Universal TKL plate, as well.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8440 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 11:11:48 »
I think whiskeytango is going to open a group buy in the (near?) future for the Universal 104/108 plate, which can be cut to work as a Universal TKL plate, as well.
I remember he had an extra uTKL plate from the old GB, not sure if he still has it though
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline acalora

« Reply #8441 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 16:42:42 »
I'm thinking about grabbing the gmk dolch GB base set. How will those caps work on a filco? I'm just thinking about the costar stabilizers conflicting with the thickness of the caps.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8442 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 16:44:37 »
I'm thinking about grabbing the gmk dolch GB base set. How will those caps work on a filco? I'm just thinking about the costar stabilizers conflicting with the thickness of the caps.

they'll work fine

Ivan's GB right?

the legends are dumb but the set will work on a Filco

Most sets are in "Filco layout" and this one is not an exception

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8443 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 16:45:56 »

Yup, like TS said, they'll work fine if you get the base set :D.

Offline acalora

« Reply #8444 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 16:48:12 »

they'll work fine

Ivan's GB right?

Why do you say the legends are dumb?

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8445 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 17:06:49 »
does anyone have a list of all GMK produced caps? i'm aware of the existence of Dolch, Charred Orange, and Beige along with various modifier sets, and i'm curious if i missed anything else

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8446 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 17:11:02 »
does anyone have a list of all GMK produced caps? i'm aware of the existence of Dolch, Charred Orange, and Beige along with various modifier sets, and i'm curious if i missed anything else

I doubt one exists, because GMK makes a lot of OEM stuff for Cherry, since GMK owns the tooling

they'll work fine

Ivan's GB right?

Why do you say the legends are dumb?

ISO mod legends on the mods of an ANSI set, his printscreen and pause legends are incorrect sometimes as well.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good set, I just wish the legends were correct.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8447 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 17:12:44 »

There's a lot more. GMK mini packs, the purple mods, CMYK are some that come to my mind right now. There's no list, but you can search the group buy subforum if you want.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8448 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 17:13:26 »

The Olivetti replica set. You can try looking through the Keycap Color archive, keeping in mind that the Cherry doubleshot molds are the same as the GMK molds. So essentially GMK are "new" Cherry caps. Also that archive is a work in progress.

Don't be picky :P

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8449 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 17:23:19 »

Don't be picky :P
I think when you're spending $100+ on a set you should be picky. The legends are the reason I didn't buy a set. When trying to reach GMKs MOQ you should consider the small things like legend choice very carefully, as they can cost you a few of those valuable orders. I personally think the legends were a bad choice. The main market is ANSI users, and so proper ANSI legends would be best.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710