Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554821 times)

Offline Larken

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8850 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 00:05:11 »
What SA-profile sets exist that support ErgoDox?

and also, Calm Depths.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8851 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 07:29:09 »
Do Korean "manufacturers" incorporate public opinion/feedback into their creations?

Apparently wishes do come true! Check out this Duck 75% keyboard interest check.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8852 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 08:24:09 »
wowow. not subscribed to that particular board so this would have flown right past me, thank you!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8853 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 08:26:49 »
wowow. not subscribed to that particular board so this would have flown right past me, thank you!

Every so often, you should hit "Spy" in the Home bar towards the top of the page. It shows you all the most recently responded to topics in the last hour or so and automatically updates when  there are new posts. I think it's the best way to see what's going on with the forum and to catch things you don't normally see.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #8854 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 09:44:16 »
anyone know how to change the tip on a soldapullt? mine needs a changing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8855 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 09:47:06 »
anyone know how to change the tip on a soldapullt? mine needs a changing

So flip it over so that charging handle is facing towards the desk. Then hold the barrel and push down on that handle as hard as you can. The tip will pop off. You pull that out and push on the new one.

Mkawa shows how to do it in the video below (forgot the timestamp where he does it exactly, just skip around until you find it):

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #8856 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 09:49:49 »
cool hopefully I can manage to get LEDs joints desoldered now...

also, another random question, I've forgotten the korean weights-to-cherry stock scale, cause I haven't thought about it in months

how would 59g springs match up against stock blacks?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8857 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 09:52:45 »
Stock Blacks are around 80g on the Korean scale.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8858 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 09:53:30 »

If you want to have an approximation, this post from WFD might be helpful. But I'd just do some maths using the information from rkinze's findings.

I was thinking that too but I wasn't sure. Danke.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8859 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 10:00:33 »

If you want to have an approximation, this post from WFD might be helpful. But I'd just do some maths using the information from rkinze's findings.

I was thinking that too but I wasn't sure. Danke.

thanks dudes

finding my 'perfect' spring is such a bother lol...

Offline Battou62

« Reply #8860 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 11:09:17 »
Has there ever existed a full size metal case for a Filco?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8861 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 11:13:59 »
Yes, the Filco LE (FKB108AL/NB). Feng has one for sale here (#63)

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Battou62

« Reply #8862 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 11:16:21 »

Show Image

Yes I have seen that, I should have been more specific. Anything other than that?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8863 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 11:59:26 »

Show Image

Yes I have seen that, I should have been more specific. Anything other than that?

Not that I can think of other than that. Does anyone know if those full size LZ boards will take a Filco PCB? That might be the only option.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8864 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 12:26:52 »
Not that I can think of other than that. Does anyone know if those full size LZ boards will take a Filco PCB? That might be the only option.

I seriously doubt a filco pcb would fit a TRIK X case

cpt remember last year some dude made a thread saying he was going to try and make fullsize aluminum filco cases? I only remember because you were so excited for it

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8865 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 12:29:08 »

I seriously doubt a filco pcb would fit a TRIK X case

Yeah I was doubtful too but I wasn't 100% sure.

cpt remember last year some dude made a thread saying he was going to try and make fullsize aluminum filco cases? I only remember because you were so excited for it

I never saw anything come of it. I think i remember what you're referring to. The only progress I've seen on the full size aluminum case front is jdcarpe's plate thread.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #8866 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 12:30:30 »

I never saw anything come of it. I think i remember what you're referring to. The only progress I've seen on the full size aluminum case front is jdcarpe's plate thread.

Yeah I don't remember seeing any final products but remember a lot of interest in it, oh well

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #8867 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:31:30 »
Every so often, you should hit "Spy" in the Home bar towards the top of the page. It shows you all the most recently responded to topics in the last hour or so and automatically updates when  there are new posts. I think it's the best way to see what's going on with the forum and to catch things you don't normally see.
that's actually what i used to do before i started subscribing to a few specific boards that align with my interests.

the links regarding spring weight are very intriguing, and also very confusing. what i took from reading them is that weight of the spring plays a much bigger role than the type of the switch. am i completely off base?

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #8868 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:49:42 »
Can I do a small  promotion for non keyboard related items for my ebay account? If so point me in the right direction if not np. (MTG Cards)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8869 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:51:30 »
Can I do a small  promotion for non keyboard related items for my ebay account? If so point me in the right direction if not np. (MTG Cards)

Sure, right here at member auction links
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #8870 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 16:02:11 »
ty

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #8871 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 16:08:25 »
Does this look like buckling spring to anyone?

70080-0

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #8872 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 16:11:49 »

(Attachment Link)
That is not buckling spring, that is a buckling rubber sleeve or whatever you call it.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #8873 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 16:22:33 »

(Attachment Link)
That is not buckling spring, that is a buckling rubber sleeve or whatever you call it.

Thanks for the clarification. It didn't look like a spring but was hard to tell.

When it shows up, I'll post a better pic.

Offline Toxic-i-

« Reply #8874 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 17:32:00 »
Hello, i have a question, from where i can get a Keyboard Layout? (the sheet of paper under a Key set,  so that I can arrange the buttons)
Need TKL and Iso 105 Key also.... or only 105 Key Ansi and/or Iso. As i search I saw only a picture of a 89 Base Layout but no link.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8875 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 17:34:02 »
Hello, i have a question, from where i can get a Keyboard Layout? (the sheet of paper under a Key set,  so that I can arrange the buttons)
Need TKL and Iso 105 Key also.... or only 105 Key Ansi and/or Iso. As i search I saw only a picture of a 89 Base Layout but no link.

It's in the OP: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_HHH

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8876 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 17:34:23 »

It's in the OP

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_HHH

The sheet has the full 104 ANSI

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8877 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 17:42:19 »

It's in the OP

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_HHH

The sheet has the full 104 ANSI

Are there any plans to reissue the laminated version?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8878 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 17:43:44 »
Are there any plans to reissue the laminated version?

I haven't heard anything about it.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #8879 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 23:18:06 »
I love the layout of the FC660C and think it is perfect, but I hear so much praise from the Realforce 55g of being the perfect switch. How superior is it over the Leopold? I still like the tkl form factor and would have no problem getting the Realforce if it really is that much better. I am not worried about the extra weight on the 55g because I have no problem typing on greens or clears. However, I am a bit concerned with the big top bezel on the Realforce because I do not know how well it will fit on my laptop (I have a macbook pro 15 inch), and I do not like how the usb port is towards the right side on the Leopold because the usb ports on my laptop are on the right side (the cable might get in the way). Any suggestions of what I should go with?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 23:51:24 by Jalberstone »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8880 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 02:19:02 »
55g is more tactile, more poppy in comparison to 45g. It's of course heavier, too but if you don't mind the weight I would recommend you rather the 55g than the 45g switches. I have never tried the FC660C myself though (I only tried a 104UW so I can compare 45 and 55g).

The Realforce should have cable canals to make the cables go out of the back or one of the sides.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8881 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 02:34:14 »
How many/what boards was the so called 'Super Black' Cherry switch officially used in? Was it used before lock-switches were implemented, is that why they exist, as a deterrent switch?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8882 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 03:15:28 »
How many/what boards was the so called 'Super Black' Cherry switch officially used in? Was it used before lock-switches were implemented, is that why they exist, as a deterrent switch?

From the DT wiki:
Cherry G80-1600 Prog and Laser keys.
Cherry G80-2100 Cherry, Layer and Print Screen keys.
Cherry G80-5000 Windows keys and Context Menu key. Only on the HAMxx variant (not HAAxx variant).
Cherry G81-8308 Unknown keys.

Not sure what you mean, how are MX Locks deterrent? Unless you don't mean those? They serve a completly different purpose.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8883 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 04:35:59 »

Not sure what you mean, how are MX Locks deterrent? Unless you don't mean those? They serve a completly different purpose.

I mean; were Super Blacks so heavy because they were designed to not be tapped or pressed by mistake, as a lock switch would prevent, but perhaps pre-dating the lock mechanism, yet still serving the same purpose.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8884 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 04:59:05 »
I mean; were Super Blacks so heavy because they were designed to not be tapped or pressed by mistake, as a lock switch would prevent, but perhaps pre-dating the lock mechanism, yet still serving the same purpose.

Oh you mean those things that go around the switch? Those are rather permanent and need to be installed/deinstalled and a super black just needs more force. Super blacks are for not accidentally pressing a key but still being able to while those lock thingys are for permanently blocking a key. Their purpose is similar but not the same.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8885 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 07:47:08 »
when i am soldering, do i heat the switch pins, the ring (the metallic ring surround the pin hole ) or both?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8886 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 07:50:17 »
when i am soldering, do i heat the switch pins, the ring (the metallic ring surround the pin hole ) or both?

I do the pad or ring typically. Both works as well. The pins alone don't seem to distribute the heat very well.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8887 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 08:12:04 »

You should try to heat both the pin and the ring at the same time otherwise you can get cold solder joints.

Once you start feeding solder in, you should just be touching the pin with the solder and it should melt and flow into the hole.

If you have more questions, the 'living soldering thread' is a great resource and everyone is very kind and knowledgeable.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8888 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 08:22:18 »
oh that's called a pad, thanks guys!
ps getting burned at 330c is not funny

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8889 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 08:28:25 »

Yep. Mine just healed.

Yes, the ring is called a pad.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8890 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 08:35:17 »

Yep. Mine just healed.

Show Image

Yes, the ring is called a pad.
ouch!

btw, did you see my thread about my pas coming off :(

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #8891 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 08:35:48 »
pad*

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8892 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 09:13:57 »
pad*

You can modify your post so you don't end up needing to double post to correct yourself.  ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8893 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 09:17:20 »
btw, did you see my thread about my pas coming off :(

For anyone reading this later, he's referring to this thread.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #8894 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 17:32:37 »
Is it possible to rebind the numlock key in tenkeypad with autohotkey?  All regular numberpad keys work except for this one.  Also is there a way to rebind the 4 extra keys at the top ? esc, tab, backspace, =
I, at least don't use = one, starting formulas with + in excel work exactly the same.  I have filco tenkeypad.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #8895 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 18:55:17 »
Non blank cheap DSA keycaps? I've found only those blanks in the Signature Plastics site ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8896 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 18:59:16 »
Non blank cheap DSA keycaps? I've found only those blanks in the Signature Plastics site ...

How cheap?  DSA Dolch starts from $70.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #8897 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 19:19:05 »

yes, I saw this one and already bought it.
I'm looking for anything cheaper - around 30 or 40 bucks.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8898 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 19:28:26 »
Is it possible to rebind the numlock key in tenkeypad with autohotkey?  All regular numberpad keys work except for this one.  Also is there a way to rebind the 4 extra keys at the top ? esc, tab, backspace, =
I, at least don't use = one, starting formulas with + in excel work exactly the same.  I have filco tenkeypad.

Doesn't look like there is anything special. http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/64436-remapping-numlock-key/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8899 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 20:05:26 »

yes, I saw this one and already bought it.
I'm looking for anything cheaper - around 30 or 40 bucks.

Not sure you'll find many at that price.

You just missed the Granite set, that was $35 or so.

If you look around Classifieds you will probably find a few people selling their Granite sets - seems some sets were not up to expectations.