Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556371 times)

Offline Elocutive

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10250 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 13:47:11 »
How do I get my 356 mini to work? does it only work on PS2 connection? is there a firmware I have to download? someone please help me out!
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline divito

« Reply #10251 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 14:29:30 »
Sister wants a mechanical for birthday/Christmas with the following:

- Full-size/Num Pad
- Backlit (preferably white, to be used in conjunction with those LED covers)
- Green/Clear switches (after sorta hearing mine)
- Option for English/Hangul key caps (she loves Korean stuff - not as important as the other 3)

My first thought would be a Code. However, I'd prefer to stay a bit lower in the price category. So that would probably mean a Shine 3? Only other option off the top of my head would be a TK, but finding one with Green or Clear switches would be quite difficult.

Any other thoughts?
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10252 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 16:02:17 »
Sister wants a mechanical for birthday/Christmas with the following:

- Full-size/Num Pad
- Backlit (preferably white, to be used in conjunction with those LED covers)
- Green/Clear switches (after sorta hearing mine)
- Option for English/Hangul key caps (she loves Korean stuff - not as important as the other 3)

My first thought would be a Code. However, I'd prefer to stay a bit lower in the price category. So that would probably mean a Shine 3? Only other option off the top of my head would be a TK, but finding one with Green or Clear switches would be quite difficult.

Any other thoughts?

I'd say a Ducky as well.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10253 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 16:07:46 »

Sister wants a mechanical for birthday/Christmas...

Any other thoughts?

I vote for the Ducky.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10254 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 17:24:01 »
How do I remove the manual cover on an IBM 3278? Usually I'd try a few things myself, but I really don't want to damage this cover!
Illustrated guide.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64790.0

Enjoy!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10255 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 09:10:41 »
Kind of a paranoid question:

Does UV affect non-white boards? Just brought my realforce to work and I now suddenly realized it's gonna be in direct sunlight most of the day. Is there anything to worry about?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10256 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 09:13:48 »
Does UV affect non-white boards? Just brought my realforce to work and I now suddenly realized it's gonna be in direct sunlight most of the day. Is there anything to worry about?

Black boards can get a bit bleached out but it will probably take a long time until it's noticeable. Besides, the caps are PBT and will be more durable and less prone to UV damage anyways.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10257 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:04:30 »

Black boards can get a bit bleached out but it will probably take a long time until it's noticeable. Besides, the caps are PBT and will be more durable and less prone to UV damage anyways.

I believe it was the bromine fire retardant that is the primary component of yellowing (and brittleing) of old plastic. I think modern fire retardant formulas are less prone to yellowing. I don't expect you to have an issue.

The only modern plastic I know of that suffered from it was a clack.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10258 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 10:50:12 »
The cable from my Model F AT is really sticky and I want to use a cable from a G80 instead (I still had it as a spare).

1. Now in this post: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40599.msg815491#msg815491
It shows the pinout of the Model F, however it doesn't show what the 5th pin (green) does. Is it just a dummy pin?

2. Additonally there is a wire that is connected to the backplate, is that just connected to GND?

3. The G80 cable also has 5 wires, but according to Wikipedia, only 4 of them are connected to anything. What's up with that?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10259 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 11:00:58 »
Would this setup be considered to have NKRO?  Not that it matters in function due to the physical constraints of the setup, but the inner geek is curious and I lack the full understanding of shift registers.

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/products/easy-conversion-kit

http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Typewriter/

I don't think so. But I'm totally guessing.

How do I get my 356 mini to work? does it only work on PS2 connection? is there a firmware I have to download? someone please help me out!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=6688.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43838.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40414.0

According to these threads, it looks like you'll need to use it through ps/2.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #10260 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 17:43:11 »
Do all cherry keyboards come with gmk as stock keys? (that is thick keys)
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10261 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 17:47:15 »
Do all cherry keyboards come with gmk as stock keys? (that is thick keys)

No. Modern ones don't have them anymore. Earlier ones can have PBT, ABS or POM keycaps (GMK is only ABS), but mostly thick ones.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10262 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:37:25 »
two quick questions.

Where can I find the default layout for the JD40?  Swill flashed his giveaway board with it and I have no idea what the layout is on this thing.

Also, anything I need to be aware of before I open up stickered switches?  Thinking of swapping these springs out for clears and a gray on the spacebar.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10263 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:45:19 »
two quick questions.

1. Where can I find the default layout for the JD40?  Swill flashed his giveaway board with it and I have no idea what the layout is on this thing.

2. Also, anything I need to be aware of before I open up stickered switches?  Thinking of swapping these springs out for clears and a gray on the spacebar.

1. Check the layouts listed in the OP of the JD40 thread, that's likely what it is. 

2. I've had experiences where it's harder to get the switch tool inserted properly because the sticker is blocking part of the area where the tool goes, so you may want to be aware of that and be a little more aggressive to compensate.  Other than that, there should be no difference, unless you somehow lift a sticker or something like that.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10264 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:45:41 »
1) Where can I find the default layout for the JD40?

2) Also, anything I need to be aware of before I open up stickered switches?

1) http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47133.0

2) There's nothing to know really unless you're interested in using SIP sockets. The stickers won't work with SIP sockets. Other than that, there is a sticker inbetween the top and bottom of the switch housing. I've not had any problems like Hoff's. However, I don't sticker my switches....just unsticker them.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10265 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 20:48:11 »
Cool thanks a lot guy.

The main reason I am wondering about the layout is because Mrs. Melvang is going to take it to work and plug it into her coworkers computer.  I was going to print out the layout so she at least has a road map.  She didn't even know mech boards existed until a couple weeks ago, has never used one, and has never used anything smaller than full sized.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10266 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:09:10 »
The stickers won't work with SIP sockets.

I don't know why everyone says this, I've done this before with no issues.  The sticker has a slit cut in it and the SIP sockets are just below the level of the sticker, so it's perfectly fine.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10267 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:12:23 »
I don't know why everyone says this, I've done this before with no issues.  The sticker has a slit cut in it and the SIP sockets are just below the level of the sticker, so it's perfectly fine.

Shows you what I know about stickers :)). Please ignore my previous statement about SIP sockets since Hoff has stickered far more boards than I have.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10268 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:20:08 »
Cool thanks guys.  This thing is REALLY weird typing on coming from nothing but full sized boards.  I am ok typing text so far but reaching for backspace feels weird and I can not seem to find the damn quotes.  Even period is weird but I suppose that comes with the territory.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10269 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:25:46 »
This thing is REALLY weird typing on coming from nothing but full sized boards.  I am ok typing text so far but reaching for backspace feels weird and I can not seem to find the damn quotes.  Even period is weird but I suppose that comes with the territory.

You can always tweak the layout on the JD40 to suit you better Melvang. Some people, including JD, have suggested using the HHKB layout. So CTRL or Function takes the place of Caps Lock and |\ is Backspace.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10270 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:27:29 »
This thing is REALLY weird typing on coming from nothing but full sized boards.  I am ok typing text so far but reaching for backspace feels weird and I can not seem to find the damn quotes.  Even period is weird but I suppose that comes with the territory.

You can always tweak the layout on the JD40 to suit you better Melvang. Some people, including JD, have suggested using the HHKB layout. So CTRL or Function takes the place of Caps Lock and |\ is Backspace.

Me programming?  You are two funny.  Does the AVR deal support the JD40?  Hey, I found the comma and numbers without looking at the road map!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10271 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:28:56 »
Does the AVR deal support the JD40?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

Looks like a maybe. Worth a shot.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10272 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:30:06 »

I believe it was the bromine fire retardant that is the primary component of yellowing (and brittleing) of old plastic. I think modern fire retardant formulas are less prone to yellowing. I don't expect you to have an issue.

The only modern plastic I know of that suffered from it was a clack.

Thank you both! I can rest a little easier tonight.  :thumb:

Offline Veridis

« Reply #10273 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:38:29 »
Quick question again :)

What profile are the keycaps on the Realforce 87u (45g uniform)? They seem to be lower than OEM, are they like Cherry profile?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10274 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:49:45 »

I've had nothing but good experiences programming my JD40 with EasyAVR.   :thumb:   I flashed a new layout probably 10 times the first day I used it, because everything I thought would be awesome was super awkward.   :-[

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10275 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 21:57:44 »

LOL.  Have you found anything that is comfy yet?

I've had nothing but good experiences programming my JD40 with EasyAVR.   :thumb:   I flashed a new layout probably 10 times the first day I used it, because everything I thought would be awesome was super awkward.   :-[

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10276 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:09:00 »

LOL.  Have you found anything that is comfy yet?

Sort of.  :P  I basically copied Vibex's function layers, with a more standard base layer (QWERTY with HHKB-like modifiers).   :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10277 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:14:26 »
What profile are the keycaps on the Realforce 87u (45g uniform)?
Pretty sure they're Realforce OEM. OEM doesn't necessarily mean one profile in my opinion. The Ducky OEM caps are different from the stock Leopold caps.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #10278 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:22:38 »
I can take some quick pictures between realforce and cherry profile if you would like. (And OEM)

But I would say realforce/topre is more like cherry than oem.

EDIT: Just checked, they are about OEM. Compared to my keycaps from WASDkeyboards, the only row that really stuck out to me was the shift key row as it is a slightly more angled.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:38:04 by HPE1000 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10279 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 23:39:34 »

?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Veridis

« Reply #10280 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 23:41:53 »
I can take some quick pictures between realforce and cherry profile if you would like. (And OEM)

But I would say realforce/topre is more like cherry than oem.

EDIT: Just checked, they are about OEM. Compared to my keycaps from WASDkeyboards, the only row that really stuck out to me was the shift key row as it is a slightly more angled.

But they look a little shorter than OEM(ducky,filco, CM, etc). Isn't Cherry profile similar to OEM except shorter?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10281 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 00:30:17 »
i heard topre construction is inspired BS its true?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10282 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 04:43:24 »
Show Image

?

Unknown bulgarian switch, I have some of those too: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54013.msg1208590#msg1208590
Mine are linear reed switches.

But they look a little shorter than OEM(ducky,filco, CM, etc). Isn't Cherry profile similar to OEM except shorter?

OEM just means that somebody is doing their own profile. There are differences between each OEM profile, there is not one OEM profile.
Usually Cherry is a bit lower than OEM, yes. The angles can differ though.

Never heard of that. They're not very similar though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10283 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 04:52:32 »
If I recall correctly, BS came before IBM came out with their proto-Topre boards. I believe those proto-Topre boards came before the actual Topre boards. I don't think this is correct.

Edit: if you check the DT wiki, the patent for BS was put out in 1971. The Topre patent came out in 1984.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 October 2014, 04:55:44 by CPTBadAss »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10284 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 06:29:43 »
Where can I buy blank topre keycaps sets.

like this one http://i.imgur.com/L0oIOOA.jpg?1

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10285 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 06:32:40 »
Show Image

?

Unknown bulgarian switch, I have some of those too: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54013.msg1208590#msg1208590
Mine are linear reed switches.
man, why do all the cool things have to be in Bulgaria, shipping is so expensive...

edit: oh yeah just saw your post on it
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10286 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 06:35:50 »

This thread has some links to websites that sell Topre replacement keycap sets. I don't see any blanks in stock though. I think others have bought caps from widebasket but I'm not 100% sure. EK has these blank black HHKB caps too.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10287 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 08:44:45 »

You can still get printed sets, but blank sets are out of production unfortunately. A pink blank set sold for 190+shipping a week or so ago on the classifieds, and that's the only one that I've seen for sale since the one in the pic you posted.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #10288 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 11:59:07 »
Are GON's keyboarsd pcbmount or plate mount?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10289 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 11:59:59 »

Plate mount. Most of his cases are Viky style cases which have the plate as the top of the case.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10290 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:25:04 »

Plate mount. Most of his cases are Viky style cases which have the plate as the top of the case.

To elaborate, though, the stabilizers are (AFAIK) always PCB mount.   :thumb:

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10291 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:29:43 »

I am super confused now, please explain. I ordered a bunch of plate mounted winkeyless stabs for my custom builds, I assumed that the plate mounted ones were what I wanted because I plan to use a plate, how to determine?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10292 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:31:07 »
Karura, every single Korean custom uses PCB mount stabilisers. PCB mount stabilisers can be used with a plate - you just make cutouts on the plate so that they poke through. Those plate mount stabilisers will not work with GONs or pretty much any other Korean custom.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10293 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:32:28 »

I am super confused now, please explain. I ordered a bunch of plate mounted winkeyless stabs for my custom builds, I assumed that the plate mounted ones were what I wanted because I plan to use a plate, how to determine?

It depends on the board you're building and how it was designed.  I know that when I built my GON it had PCB mount stabilizers, despite having a plate (they just poked through the holes in the plate).  What board will you be building?

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10294 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:32:36 »
Karura, every single Korean custom uses PCB mount stabilisers. PCB mount stabilisers can be used with a plate - you just make cutouts on the plate so that they poke through. Those plate mount stabilisers will not work with GONs or pretty much any other Korean custom.
Okay, so I plan to go with a NerD 60 PCB, get a custom plate from mkawa or someone, would my plate mounted stabs still be usable?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10295 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:33:43 »

Many Korean customs have PCBs which allow Cherry PCB mount stabilizers to clip into the PCB. These PCB mounted stabilizers will sit into the plate but clip into the PCB. Cherry Plate mount simply clip onto the plate and won't clip into the PCB.

To check, simply find a picture of the PCB. If the stabilizer area has extra holes in the stabilized key locations, then it will accept a Cherry PCB mount stabilizer. If not, use a Cherry plate mounted stabilizer.

In my experience, I find Cherry PCB mount to be stronger than plate mounted stabilizers.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10296 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:34:05 »
Yes. If the plate supports plate mount stabilisers you can use them. It's just that GONs plates, KMAC plates, OTD plates, etc. never do support them. So, yeah, if you get a completely custom plate you can use them.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10297 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:37:05 »
Yes. If the plate supports plate mount stabilisers you can use them. It's just that GONs plates, KMAC plates, OTD plates, etc. never do support them. So, yeah, if you get a completely custom plate you can use them.

And just to be clear, we're talking about Cherry stabilizers. Costar stabilizers are different. They're only plate mount and need a slightly different hole size to snap into.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #10298 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:41:29 »
speaking of stabs, i only recently found out about clipping Cherry stabs so they feel like Costar but still retain the ability to quick swap modifiers. is this worth the effort?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10299 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:43:48 »
speaking of stabs, i only recently found out about clipping Cherry stabs so they feel like Costar but still retain the ability to quick swap modifiers. is this worth the effort?

Yes. I clip all my Cherry stabilizers.