Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554249 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10550 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 11:44:12 »
WASD only does pad printing, Keypop sells doubleshots from SP. Doubleshots are better than pad printed caps.

Both are OEM profile.

1. wasd does UV which is a different process than pad printing.
2. SP does not do OEM profile. I believe the keypop SP doubleshots are SP's DCS profile
3. There are benefits to both WASD's process and SP's. I wouldn't call one "better" but I guess it's all opinion anyway.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 November 2014, 11:46:57 by dorkvader »

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #10551 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 14:58:35 »
Where do i currently get a 60% anodized aluminum plate, with ISO support, and possibility to open switches afterwards? I have now cheap aluminum plate, which is silver, but i don't really like the look, it is too glossy, and too shiny with dark caps!
... ...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10552 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 16:00:35 »
rofl what a bad idea TS
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10553 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 19:57:30 »

Anyone know what these might be?

actually know that I look at it appears to be some sort of splash guard covered swtich
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10554 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 03:08:36 »

Where do i currently get a 60% anodized aluminum plate, with ISO support, and possibility to open switches afterwards?

I'm not sure if there's a vendor that that regularly stocks 60% plates. Try looking at imsto and GONs stores. But iso might make things tricky. You could always finish the plate you have now. I'm sure there's anodizing or powder coating available near you. Or you could possibly spray paint.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10555 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 03:27:00 »
Show Image

actually know that I look at it appears to be some sort of splash guard covered swtich

That is definitely a splash guard. Switches seem to have square stems which is common with RAFI switches, so maybe one of those? Could be completly wrong though.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #10556 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 03:31:09 »

Where do i currently get a 60% anodized aluminum plate, with ISO support, and possibility to open switches afterwards?

I'm not sure if there's a vendor that that regularly stocks 60% plates. Try looking at imsto and GONs stores. But iso might make things tricky. You could always finish the plate you have now. I'm sure there's anodizing or powder coating available near you. Or you could possibly spray paint.

Thanks! I thought of finishing the plate i currently have, and also build another plate & PCB combo, but this time with a transparent acrylic plate. I just didn't like that silver of the aluminum plate i currently have, it 'glows' under the caps - don't know how to describe it  :)
... ...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10557 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 08:54:16 »
Show Image

That is definitely a splash guard. Switches seem to have square stems which is common with RAFI switches, so maybe one of those? Could be completly wrong though.

Given the size and shape of the switch (look at how tall it appears to be and the shape of the stem, not just the square), I'm almost 100% sure it's not RAFI.  My guess is that it's some sort of dome or membrane switch.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10558 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 09:18:11 »
Would a QFR tkl top case fit on a Ducky shine 3 or a Filco mj 2 tkl?

Actually, I think I have used a QFR top on a Filco MJ2 TKL bottom before. I didn't think it would work, but it did. But I don't think the screw lines up for closure, only the side tabs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #10559 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 17:35:36 »
Is there such thing as an ANSI skidata keyboard?
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10560 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 17:48:45 »
I don't know if there's an ANSI board but if you're looking for just caps, Originative came out with a set that was very similar to that color scheme.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #10561 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 02:02:58 »
Quick question before sleep!

I've narrowed down my choices for LED sizes to 1.8mm and 2x3x4.

From what I've read, 1.8mm is the one to go with, because it has full clearance of almost any keycap, while 2x3x4 might have problems with thicker ones.

1) Now what I'm really curious about is which LEDs will have a better glow to them?

Not sure if anyone has compared the two sizes side by side, but I think it might be worth risking the clearance issues if the 2x3x4 ones are significantly brighter :D

2) Also, does anyone know which keycaps have clearance issues with 2x3x4?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10562 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 02:06:09 »
2x3x4 is brighter and, IMO, has a better diffuse glow.  The 1.8mm has a weird heavy concentric glow with heavy falloff on the edges.  That said, both are nice, but it you want bright, 2x3x4 is the way to go.

And, for the record, I've used TA PBT, Cherry caps, and others with no issue with 2x3x4.  I think it's mainly Imsto that has issues with it.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #10563 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:21:35 »
what program can i use to remap Caps Lock to FN? tried KeyTweak and it doesn't support remapping to FN (windows 8.1)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10564 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 18:31:51 »
I don't know if there's an ANSI board but if you're looking for just caps, Originative came out with a set that was very similar to that color scheme.

I asked the same thing a while back: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg1273891#msg1273891
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #10565 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:20:09 »
Are there any TenKeyLess ALPS keyboards? If so, where do I buy them?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10566 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 19:33:45 »
Are there any TenKeyLess ALPS keyboards? If so, where do I buy them?
There's not many options. Filco Zero and ducky 1087xm for stock boards. Kingsaver for a custom.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10567 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 21:40:24 »
Filco Zero and ducky 1087xm for stock boards. Kingsaver for a custom.

All out of production and pricey in the aftermarket.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10568 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:08:55 »
Show Image

Given the size and shape of the switch (look at how tall it appears to be and the shape of the stem, not just the square), I'm almost 100% sure it's not RAFI.  My guess is that it's some sort of dome or membrane switch.
backlit, square stem, splash guard, very nice plate: looks like cortronics rubber dome to me (first clue was that keycap printing / font)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10569 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 11:51:18 »
what mean industrial ibm?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10570 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 11:58:51 »
It's the color of the case:

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10571 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:03:30 »
Show Image

yup, but i want to know the history i heard because ibm dont have mold,not sure
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:05:06 by yasuo »

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10572 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:09:35 »
Show Image

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10573 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:46:44 »
what program can i use to remap Caps Lock to FN? tried KeyTweak and it doesn't support remapping to FN (windows 8.1)

For this you will have to do it at the firmware level so a programmable keyboard will be required.  The reason is because there is no actual scan code for function.  This is handled 100% at the keyboards hardware level. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10574 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:48:05 »
Show Image

Show Image

:))

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10575 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 12:48:20 »

For this you will have to do it at the firmware level so a programmable keyboard will be required.  The reason is because there is no actual scan code for function.  This is handled 100% at the keyboards hardware level.

++

You could also do it at a hardware level, but that's a lot harder.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10576 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 13:59:31 »
Does auto hot key work?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10577 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 14:24:52 »
Does auto hot key work?

I don't think any software solution will work when attempting to change anything from or two Fn due to Fn not having a scancode for the OS to even read.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #10578 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 15:02:36 »
really intriguing. so when you use FN on a keyboard laptop, how does the OS interpret it?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #10579 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:12:33 »
really intriguing. so when you use FN on a keyboard laptop, how does the OS interpret it?

It doesn't. The FN key is keyboard internal functionality. The keyboard in a laptop works the same as a normal keyboard, if you check out your attached devices you will usually find it as a PS/2 keyboard in the list.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #10580 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 22:17:44 »
Are these GMK?  If so, would someone mind proxying an order for me?  Thx...

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_blu_shift

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10581 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 22:18:54 »

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_blu_shift
Yep. They really don't ship to Canada? I could proxy it for you

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #10582 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 22:35:29 »

Yes, they ship to Canada, but I usually end up spending something like $20-$50 in customs on every order.  Unlike MK, the shipping option is only $8, so I might actually just try it and see how bad I get hit (for future reference).  The order will be under $50, so I will just try it and see if I get dinged and how bad it is...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10583 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 23:29:48 »

Yes, they ship to Canada, but I usually end up spending something like $20-$50 in customs on every order.  Unlike MK, the shipping option is only $8, so I might actually just try it and see how bad I get hit (for future reference).  The order will be under $50, so I will just try it and see if I get dinged and how bad it is...
Well let me know if you ever need stuff proxied :thumb:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #10584 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 23:38:40 »

Well let me know if you ever need stuff proxied :thumb:

Thanks, I really appreciate it.  :)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #10585 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 06:15:14 »
Does anyone have a link to the reprogramming software for the 356 mini?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10586 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 18:02:31 »
Where can i find a 5.5 mm nut driver?
I need to open up my model m and i don't know which ones will be able to reach down there.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #10587 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 18:46:42 »
Any thin wall 5.5mm or 7/32" thin wall nut driver will work.  The key is the thin wall.  Clickykeyboards used to carry them, but don't see any in stock there.

Another option : http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26556-Precision-Driver-Inch/dp/B000O5ILWA
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10589 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 19:22:12 »
Will F XT internals fit inside a Bigfoot version of the F?  My logic here is this might be an easier way to try the F switches inside the bigfoot case than trying to actually get the bigfoot internals working.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10590 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 19:58:19 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-7-32-Hex-Nut-Driver-61-104-Brown-Handle-FREE-SHIPPING-/191100444203?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item2c7e795e2b

This is a better one, but it may not ship to Canada for free.

What is better about this nut driver?
If there is enough of a benefit, then I will consider it.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10591 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 21:09:18 »
So I was attempting to bind Print Screen to my Orbweaver as the JD40 does not have it.  It would not work with attempting to do it with the on screen keyboard on Win 8.1.  Would this be a limitation of the Synapse software or could it be partly due to how Print Screen interacts with the OS, as most of the keys in that cluster wouldn't work either. 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10592 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 21:58:08 »
So I was attempting to bind Print Screen to my Orbweaver as the JD40 does not have it.  It would not work with attempting to do it with the on screen keyboard on Win 8.1.  Would this be a limitation of the Synapse software or could it be partly due to how Print Screen interacts with the OS, as most of the keys in that cluster wouldn't work either.

I'm guessing it's a Synapse thing. You can only program it as much as that program will let you :(.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10593 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 22:02:41 »

I'm guessing it's a Synapse thing. You can only program it as much as that program will let you :(.

Probably.  Say any idea if F XT internals will fit into a BigFoot F case??

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10594 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 22:14:56 »
Say any idea if F XT internals will fit into a BigFoot F case??

I don't even have a guess. However if you PM Haata, Parak, or dorkvader, I'm sure you can get a proper answer. Sorry I couldn't be of further help :(

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10595 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 22:32:52 »
what tool for test switches still active/not?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10596 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 22:34:00 »
what tool for test switches still active/not?
Multimeter, aqua key test, EKs switch hitter program.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10597 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 23:32:23 »
Say any idea if F XT internals will fit into a BigFoot F case??

I don't even have a guess. However if you PM Haata, Parak, or dorkvader, I'm sure you can get a proper answer. Sorry I couldn't be of further help :(

I think they will, but don't have a "bigfoot" to test (always wanted to get one but the current candidate on eBay is too expensive for me and broken to boot!)

You can just use soarer's converter though. It's supposed to work.

edit: I have no idea where I read that and have not yet substantiated it with research. Will have to do more looking.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 November 2014, 23:34:42 by dorkvader »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10598 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 23:34:11 »
Use soarers on the XT or the BigFoot?  I was under the impression that it won't work on the bigfoot due to not having a controller on board.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10599 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 23:38:00 »
Use soarers on the XT or the BigFoot?  I was under the impression that it won't work on the bigfoot due to not having a controller on board.
edit: here
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48950.msg1224258#msg1224258

He says he got it working with soarers.

It does not have a controller on the board but does have a thing that helps to interpret the capacitive matrix, so it was easy for him to convert.

side note: the schematic of this KB was instrumental in figuring out how to make a capacitive controller for general model F use.

edit: note this is his KB controller code, not protocol converter code.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 November 2014, 23:40:02 by dorkvader »