Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554063 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10650 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:49:21 »
yes, why? what size spring cherry(dimension)?
 :thumb:

Why can't you just buy the springs? Don't know. Probably because only a small percentage of mechanical keyboard users (which are already a small percentage of the market), are swapping springs so no one thinks of stocking them for sale.

And I don't know the dimensions off hand. I'm sure they're out there if you look hard enough and you can always take the measurements yourself. There are aftermarket springs so obviously someone has the measurements and suppliers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:58:18 by CPTBadAss »

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #10651 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 10:53:41 »
Sorry, another question about IMSTO's sets - does his beige set differ significantly from BSP's PBT beige sets in terms of shape or color?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10652 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 15:14:32 »
Sorry, another question about IMSTO's sets - does his beige set differ significantly from BSP's PBT beige sets in terms of shape or color?

Not really. His beige is more grey than BSPs, but I think it just depends on the light.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10653 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 15:31:42 »

These pictures may help. And this thread might be useful.

BSP

Imsto

Profile? It depends. If it's from imsto, I think they're closer to OEM profile...or at least the set I had was OEM. Apparently according to eyesmiles, his set is Cherry profile which is the same as BSP. If they're blank BSP caps that imsto is dye-subbing? Then obviously they'll be the same.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 November 2014, 15:34:12 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #10654 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 15:34:14 »
Colour - yes. They are very different shades for certain.

Profile - No, except the bottom row. Imstos thick PBTs are Cherry profile, as are BSPs. However, Imstos bottom row is B-profile, while BSPs is A-profile [A-profile is much more steep].
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Sorn

« Reply #10655 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 19:43:56 »
Question for all the knowledgeable users of this forum. As I am looking into modding a mechanical keyboard of my own and would like to swap out springs without needing to solder, what options are out there currently in terms of PCB mounted keyboards? And if anyone has a custom low activation force keyboard, I'd love to hear of it!

Thank you kindly,

Sorn

MOD EDIT: Please don't post Want To Buys outside the classifieds.  Please also read the Classifieds Rules: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56284.0
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 November 2014, 22:19:37 by infiniti »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10656 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 21:16:09 »
What options are out there currently in terms of PCB mounted keyboards?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29253.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42342.0

And if anyone has a custom low activation force keyboard for sale, I'd love to hear of it!

Please don't use this thread as the classifieds.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10657 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 04:27:44 »
On that last pic (Imsto), I don't think those are his beige mods. I think those mods are from a different, all-gray set he did. The beige may be grayer than BSP beige, but it's not that gray.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10658 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 06:22:47 »
On that last pic (Imsto), I don't think those are his beige mods. I think those mods are from a different, all-gray set he did. The beige may be grayer than BSP beige, but it's not that gray.

I welcome you to find more pictures because I find that "grayer" is not a very good descriptor. I think that "grayer" and "depends on lighting" are not very helpful. I tried looking for a proper picture of the imsto sets but came up short :(.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10659 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 07:26:40 »
I find that "grayer" is not a very good descriptor.

At the minimum there is "warm" gray and "cool" gray.

Beyond that, there is saturated gray that feels like a real color, and unsaturated gray that just looks like dingy white.

IBM's color "pebble" is a strong saturated warm gray that is a very handsome color. IBM's industrial cases are probably called "gray" but that color has strong undertones of green and brown in it as well.

And my Toyota Camry is called "gray" but it is distinctly brown!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #10660 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 10:00:41 »
I just order a FMJ type 2 case, now,
1. I read that the FMJ case fits GH60 pcb but does it also support a metal plate + the pcb?
2. how do I acquire a GH60 pcb with a metal plate to go with the case?

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10661 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 10:02:25 »
1. I read that the FMJ case fits GH60 pcb but does it also support a metal plate + the pcb?

1) Yes
2) Wait for the GB, see if anyone is selling theirs in the classifieds, or see if those Taobao sellers still have the Rev B PCBs. But the rev B has some issues.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10662 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 10:09:18 »
when i glued switch on acrylic plate wth super glue i can remove they with gasoline.etc
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10663 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 10:14:38 »
when i glued switch on acrylic plate wth super glue i can remove they with gasoline.etc

Check out this link.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #10664 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 10:23:19 »

1) Yes
2) Wait for the GB, see if anyone is selling theirs in the classifieds, or see if those Taobao sellers still have the Rev B PCBs. But the rev B has some issues.

Thank you CPTBadAss!
I'll wait for a GB.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #10665 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 01:32:29 »
Can someone tell me what the cheapest ergonomic mechanical keyboard is?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10666 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 08:34:58 »
Can someone tell me what the cheapest ergonomic mechanical keyboard is?
Cheapest one I've picked up is a Chicony KB7001 for $2.

But I think the Kinesis boards or Maltese can be found for under $100   on eBay iirc. And there's the new uniquek keyboard for $130. Binge posted that in the ergonomics subforum.

Edit: link for uniquek = https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65719.msg1537586.msg#1537586
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 November 2014, 08:36:35 by CPTBadAss »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #10667 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 21:22:36 »

I welcome you to find more pictures because I find that "grayer" is not a very good descriptor. I think that "grayer" and "depends on lighting" are not very helpful. I tried looking for a proper picture of the imsto sets but came up short :(.

I think it's the difference between these two. The mods in that pic are from the second set here. Compare to the gray in the first pic, which is the standard gray in his gray/beige sets, and looks more like the Cherry/ BSP color.

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline FRD

« Reply #10668 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 03:04:09 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 December 2014, 14:40:24 by FRD »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10669 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 12:29:06 »
Anyone have any idea where should i look for Topre short-throw keyboards, expect Yahoo Auctions Japan?

I seriously doubt you'll find one outside of Japan.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline crunch

« Reply #10670 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 07:17:28 »
Hi. Does this have ALPS switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10671 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 07:20:56 »
Hi. Does this have ALPS switches.

Can you get the person to pull a cap off? Or show a picture of the back if there's a label with some model information on it? It's really hard to tell from that picture.

Offline crunch

« Reply #10672 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 07:25:10 »
Sorry I have tried to ask but he is afraid he will break something.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10673 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 07:26:45 »
Sorry I have tried to ask but he is afraid he will break something.

I couldn't even begin to guess what that might be. Perhaps someone else will recognize it and can help you out.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #10674 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:12:59 »
Hi,

I 'm sorry i've searched for this information but couldn't find it, if i want to build a custom plate for a keyboard i'm building, which metal should i choose? aluminium, steel, stainless-steel?

Also if i may, what is the cheapest option to build a custom case? (ABS or metal)

Thank you.
Sharing the knowledge

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10675 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:19:49 »
1) If i want to build a custom plate for a keyboard i'm building, which metal should i choose? aluminium, steel, stainless-steel?

2) what is the cheapest option to build a custom case? (ABS or metal)

1) Whichever you prefer. I like stainless' weight over aluminum.

2) ABS is cheaper if you've got access to the equipment. An acrylic or polycarb case is probably cheaper for a custom one off board. Metal will cost more but I prefer metal cases. One off metal cases are pricey. Last quote I received for a 60% board I helped design was $400 including materials.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #10676 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:27:06 »
Thank you CptBadAss !

One last question, do you think stainless would also be more "sturdy"? (i mean less prone to slightly bend as you put pressure on it?)

Sharing the knowledge

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10677 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:28:24 »
Do you think stainless would also be more "sturdy"? (i mean less prone to slightly bend as you put pressure on it?)

In my opinion? For the grades of aluminum I've seen used in plates, they aren't as sturdy as the stainless steel plates I've seen. I have a TKL Aluminum plate. It's...ok. But I much prefer the stainless steel plates.

Offline Kaibz

« Reply #10678 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:31:59 »
Excellent ! I'll go with stainless steel.

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers.
Sharing the knowledge

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10679 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:48:20 »
is there any cheap SA keycap set?

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10680 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 12:13:17 »
I thought the Filco sphericals was cheap. But it depends on what cheap means to you.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10681 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:28:18 »
Excellent ! I'll go with stainless steel.

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers.

In addition to my comments, I highly recommend TechPriest's thoughts on making a keyboard plate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10682 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:43:43 »

Nuclear Data Green was $64 for a full set (plus extra speciality sets).

Was that around the price you were thinking?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phx

« Reply #10683 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 08:35:39 »
not sure if this is a simple question...

I recently got to try a new board (MX Clear stem, 62 gram springs, stickered, lubed with GPL 205, on a KMAC)
it was surprisingly smooth, felt very much like browns except a bit heavier and more tactile. thing is, I also have a 62 gram ergo clear board I put together myself. (mx clear stems, 62 gram springs, not stickered, lubed with GPL 201, on QFR)
There is a HUGE difference between the 2 boards, the one I have feels a lot more clunky and friction-y, the switch doesn't bounce back up as smooth as the other one. I'm so confused, is it JUST because of the lube difference? what's going on?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10684 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 08:50:16 »
not sure if this is a simple question...

I recently got to try a new board (MX Clear stem, 62 gram springs, stickered, lubed with GPL 205, on a KMAC)
it was surprisingly smooth, felt very much like browns except a bit heavier and more tactile. thing is, I also have a 62 gram ergo clear board I put together myself. (mx clear stems, 62 gram springs, not stickered, lubed with GPL 201, on QFR)
There is a HUGE difference between the 2 boards, the one I have feels a lot more clunky and friction-y, the switch doesn't bounce back up as smooth as the other one. I'm so confused, is it JUST because of the lube difference? what's going on?

The case and how worn/used the switches were before lube was applied, or even which batch the switches came from can have profound impacts of the feel of the switch.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10685 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 08:54:10 »
I thought the Filco sphericals was cheap. But it depends on what cheap means to you.

Nuclear Data Green was $64 for a full set (plus extra speciality sets).

Was that around the price you were thinking?
yeah, different mean cheap :))

spacing with qwerkywriter keycap is differnt?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10686 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 17:48:42 »

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #10687 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 20:04:25 »
I have a question about Click Clacks:

1. I have collected 3 topre depth black clacks, I noticed that there are slight color variations between the three. I've read somewhere that color variation is normal.
2. One of the clack sits a noticeably taller on the keyboard than the other two, is this normal?

Ann all three clacks comes with the CF stamp.

Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10688 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 20:16:29 »
1. I have collected 3 topre depth black clacks, I noticed that there are slight color variations between the three. I've read somewhere that color variation is normal.
2. One of the clack sits a noticeably taller on the keyboard than the other two, is this normal?

1) What is your question? Are you asking if color variation is normal or simply commenting on that?
2) I don't think so. All the ones I've seen are the same profile. Are you sure the cap is seated correctly?

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #10689 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 20:51:38 »

1) What is your question? Are you asking if color variation is normal or simply commenting on that?
2) I don't think so. All the ones I've seen are the same profile. Are you sure the cap is seated correctly?

1) Sorry my first question is whether all black clacks have the same black color?
2) I am pretty sure, I will upload pictures soon.

Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10690 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 21:07:21 »
I have collected 3 topre depth black clacks, I noticed that there are slight color variations between the three. I've read somewhere that color variation is normal.

Sorry my first question is whether all black clacks have the same black color?

No, check out the Post your Clacks thread for more examples of when black isn't really black.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #10691 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 21:37:37 »
I have collected 3 topre depth black clacks, I noticed that there are slight color variations between the three. I've read somewhere that color variation is normal.

Sorry my first question is whether all black clacks have the same black color?

No, check out the Post your Clacks thread for more examples of when black isn't really black.

thanks!

More picks here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66057.0

Offline jevvix

« Reply #10692 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 00:50:49 »
I have two keyboards: Cherry MY1800 and MY7000 that I harvested the caps from. Do people have any use for the remaining 'carcasses' of these or should I just recycle them?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10693 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 01:19:16 »
I have two keyboards: Cherry MY1800 and MY7000 that I harvested the caps from. Do people have any use for the remaining 'carcasses' of these or should I just recycle them?
Well, if they're just standard G81s, then there's really no remaining use for them. Sometimes the boards have interesting cases that people keep, and unless you for some reason like cherry MY there really isn't much reason to hang on to them
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10694 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 07:55:07 »
A friend of mine has 4 stickey keys (1,2,A,S) and I'm asking for him if there is an easy way for him to clean them?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10695 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 08:04:15 »
A friend of mine has 4 stickey keys (1,2,A,S) and I'm asking for him if there is an easy way for him to clean them?

I'll assume he has a mechanical keyboard. You can try putting a little isopropyl alcohol into the switches. Make sure it's 91% or 99% if you can get it. Then press it a bunch then put some rice over it and let it dry. I find isopropyl is really good for most cleaning applications in keyboards.

You can also just try taking the cap off, and blowing some compressed air or vacuuming the switch out to get any dust or anything else out.

If you think the sticky keys are caused by a drink of some sort, /r/MK has some guides and Geekhack has multiple threads on how to clean spills.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 November 2014, 08:07:41 by CPTBadAss »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10696 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 08:12:52 »

I'll assume he has a mechanical keyboard. You can try putting a little isopropyl alcohol into the switches. Make sure it's 91% or 99% if you can get it. Then press it a bunch then put some rice over it and let it dry. I find isopropyl is really good for most cleaning applications in keyboards.

You can also just try taking the cap off, and blowing some compressed air or vacuuming the switch out to get any dust or anything else out.

If you think the sticky keys are caused by a drink of some sort, /r/MK has some guides and Geekhack has multiple threads on how to clean spills.

Sorry, yeah, it's a Ducky with Browns and he spilled coffee on it which somehow got 3 LEDs, that didn't work, to work again.

I shall inform him, thanks :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10697 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 08:34:50 »

is this handwiring no problem?
the wire diode light grey soldered on front switch? :-X
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 November 2014, 08:37:22 by yasuo »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10698 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 08:37:06 »
(Attachment Link)
is this handwiring no problem?

As long as the diodes look like these from matt3o, I don't see why the diodes can't be horizontal instead of vertical.

Edit: See below.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 November 2014, 08:45:25 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Euf0ria

« Reply #10699 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 08:37:35 »
Big problem, your diodes are in series but they need to be in parallell.
All your base are belong to us