Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553380 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11100 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:32:36 »
What weight is best for ergo clears?

You should ask Bromono this question. ;)

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67328.0
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:34:40 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11101 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:33:52 »
Do I need thick or extra thick lube for sliders on used MX clears?

+1    I have also been wondering which one to use for sliders.  I was thinking it would be the "thin" formula.
I thought tactile switches did better with thick lube?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11102 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:36:29 »

+1    I have also been wondering which one to use for sliders.  I was thinking it would be the "thin" formula.
I thought tactile switches did better with thick lube?

I wouldn't even know. I just mix my own, so I couldn't tell you.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11103 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:53:53 »

I think there's a thin, thick, and superthick mix? Thick should be good. I mix mine like JD and I just use it for everything.

TL:DR? Personal preference. If I were to swap the spring out, I'd go for MX Black springs.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11104 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:15:34 »

Looks like 62g is the way to go. Duly noted.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11105 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:18:03 »
TL;DR version of this thread, since it's getting no replies.

If I put Novatouch sliders into an RF 86u and bend a custom stab wire (since Nova's is too short), will it take a 7x Cherry spacebar? That is, is the stem spacing the same on Topre 7x and Cherry 7x?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11106 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:23:12 »
nobody's done it so nobody knows
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11107 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:30:03 »
Thanks, I am aware, and that's not helpful.

What I am hoping is that someone has a Topre 7x and a Cherry 7x and can post side-by-side stem pics to help determine if the stem spacing is possibly teh same. This will indicate whether there's a chance, or more likely, confirm there is no chance.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #11108 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:37:54 »
Thanks, I am aware, and that's not helpful.

What I am hoping is that someone has a Topre 7x and a Cherry 7x and can post side-by-side stem pics to help determine if the stem spacing is possibly teh same. This will indicate whether there's a chance, or more likely, confirm there is no chance.
Hey Intelli, this might be a rather expensive option, but I know this topre model uses a 7x spacebar, and comes in cheap compared to other models (around $168 w/ current exchange rate) I remember Bro Caps sold one a long time ago to someone on here. Might be a good specimen to compare spacebars with.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000EQHU5I/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11109 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:43:18 »

If I put Novatouch sliders into an RF 86u and bend a custom stab wire (since Nova's is too short), will it take a 7x Cherry spacebar? That is, is the stem spacing the same on Topre 7x and Cherry 7x?

Since I'm not familiar at all with the 86U (actually forgot about it until you posted this), do you or anyone else happen to know if it was more prevalent in another market?  If it was more common in Asia (I would assume), you might have luck posting on one of the forums over there.  I think the hardest part of this will be finding someone on GH who even has one.

I know this doesn't answer the question, though.  :|

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11110 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:47:59 »
Thanks, that's a very cool keyboard and I love the integrated winkey blockers. Unfortunately the cost of purchasing and importing it would probably equal the price of finding and purchasing an 86u, which is my preferred layout.

Even if we can't get some info on the stem spacing, I might track one down anyway. I'd mostly use it with original Cherry dyesubs, and the white/beige Topre color is not too different from Cherry -- so it wouldn't be ferociously ugly if I left the Topre spacebar on the board.

It's incredibly unlikely the spacing will be the same, and that everything will actually work right with Nova stab modules installed. But it's not impossible -- if Topre made a conscious decision to match Cherry spacing (if there is any standard, it would be that, so as unlikely as it is, it's at least possible) then it might work, which would be very cool.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #11111 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:48:28 »

Since I'm not familiar at all with the 86U (actually forgot about it until you posted this), do you or anyone else happen to know if it was more prevalent in another market?  If it was more common in Asia (I would assume), you might have luck posting on one of the forums over there.  I think the hardest part of this will be finding someone on GH who even has one.

After a few Google searches, I'm more lead to believe that Topre actually phased out the 86u after around 2011.  I can't really seem to find much information on them now, I'm assuming at this point they are mostly discontinued.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11112 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:49:51 »

Not sure about Asia, but EK sold them a few years ago before they were discontinued (Flyers is right about that). Someone is bound to have one, just have to get their attention.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #11113 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:53:20 »

Not sure about Asia, but EK sold them a few years ago before they were discontinued (Flyers is right about that). Someone is bound to have one, just have to get their attention.
Did a little detective work for you intelli, I'm not sure he still has it, but it might be worth asking!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46058.0

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11114 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:55:30 »
Nice...! I sent him a PM, guess I should try searching further back in the classifieds too. You never know...

Offline jrsall92

« Reply #11115 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 02:07:38 »
for mx blues what's the best o rings to avoid bottoming the keys, and also having the least possible travel distance? I'm thinking of 2mm thickness, but I don't know if there will be enough space to actually actuate the switch (4mm[whole distance] - 2mm[oring] = 2mm[actuation point].

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11116 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 05:51:31 »
for mx blues what's the best o rings to avoid bottoming the keys, and also having the least possible travel distance? I'm thinking of 2mm thickness, but I don't know if there will be enough space to actually actuate the switch (4mm[whole distance] - 2mm[oring] = 2mm[actuation point].

These o-rings from Lpwl might be what you're looking for. Take a look and see if they work for you. Swill took a look at o-rings and came up with these thoughts. And perhaps one of these links will help you as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 January 2015, 05:53:37 by CPTBadAss »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #11117 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 09:33:09 »
is there a rgb cherryswitch  board out that uses standard ansi layout/mods?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11118 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 09:35:44 »
Has there ever been a realforce numberpad with all 1x keys?

Offline Fr4nc3sc0NL

« Reply #11119 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:21:10 »
I'm having an issue with my kbt race II and my hackintosh. I have to reconnect it everytime I restart it. Is there a firmwareupdate for this keyboard, and if so where can I find it? If not, will this be an issue with my macbook pro too?

*update*
I meant to say, "my macbook pro that i'm going to buy today". Will let you know what happens ofc :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:34:06 by Fr4nc3sc0NL »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11120 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:36:40 »
is there a rgb cherryswitch  board out that uses standard ansi layout/mods?

AFAIK, Corsair is the only company which has those RGB Cherry switches right now and I don't believe they have a standard layout.

I'm having an issue with my kbt race II and my hackintosh. I have to reconnect it everytime I restart it. Is there a firmwareupdate for this keyboard, and if so where can I find it? If not, will this be an issue with my macbook pro too?

I can't find if there is a firmware update. You could try emailing the contact information here.

You could just try plugging it into the macbook pro and letting us know. I don't know off the top of my head and I'm curious to know hte answer.

AFAIK, no.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11121 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:49:48 »

Are you asking because the PCB has multiple contacts under the 2x keys that look like they could function as two 1x keys?  I saw that in the pic you posted the other day and was curious myself.  Hopefully someone can shed light on this.

Along those same lines, I'm wondering if there was ever one made with a 2x 0 key?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11122 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 15:01:18 »

Are you asking because the PCB has multiple contacts under the 2x keys that look like they could function as two 1x keys?  I saw that in the pic you posted the other day and was curious myself.  Hopefully someone can shed light on this.

Along those same lines, I'm wondering if there was ever one made with a 2x 0 key?

Yes that was why I was asking. I don't think I'd ever seen a 23U PCB before today. :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11123 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 15:37:22 »

Yes that was why I was asking. I don't think I'd ever seen a 23U PCB before today. :D

Swap it around for a 2-unit plus and 2 1-unit keys below, and tell us what happens.

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11124 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 15:45:17 »

Swap it around for a 2-unit plus and 2 1-unit keys below, and tell us what happens.

Are there slider positions for those key sizes?  Might be a dumb question, but I don't have my 23UB with me.   :-[

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11125 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 16:06:19 »

Yeah if only the plate supported that. :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11126 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 16:10:11 »

Hmmm, plate.

But you could connect it and put the springs over the pads to test the output though, right?

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11127 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 16:18:37 »

Hmmm, plate.

But you could connect it and put the springs over the pads to test the output though, right?

Hmm theoretically this *might* work.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11128 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 19:35:16 »

I tried this just now.  The results are kind of interesting.  However, I did completely forget to see how the pad between the +- set of keys would behave.  Oops.   :-[

Image stolen from SpAmRaY!

Realforce 23U (SpAmRaY) by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

• Switch position 12B is the one I forgot to test.  12A is '+' and 8 is '-' by default.
  • Switch positions 16A and 20 are both Enter.  16B is the position that is Enter by default.  I'm not sure why they would design it to allow a split key in this position and then map them all back to Enter.  Presumably there would be alternate programming in that case, but it seems odd to have different programming since there is a physical limitation preventing you from pressing 16A and 20 (that there are no springs there :P ).
  • Switch position 17B is '0'.  17A is '0' and 18 is '00' by default.  This makes sense.

Maybe someone will find this useful/interesting.   :))

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11129 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 20:42:33 »
From the one thing I've seen about them, I heard the Gateron blue switches are pretty much identical to MX blues, just a little heavier. Has this been everyone's experience? Thinking of ordering some off Taobao cause they're way cheaper and have a clear housing
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11130 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 20:54:22 »
From the one thing I've seen about them, I heard the Gateron blue switches are pretty much identical to MX blues, just a little heavier. Has this been everyone's experience? Thinking of ordering some off Taobao cause they're way cheaper and have a clear housing

might as well

i've not seen any issue with them either here or on any of the chinese forums

they seem like the best quality of the chinese clones
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11131 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 21:22:23 »

I tried this just now.  The results are kind of interesting.  However, I did completely forget to see how the pad between the +- set of keys would behave.  Oops.   :-[

Image stolen from SpAmRaY!
Show Image

Realforce 23U (SpAmRaY) by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

• Switch position 12B is the one I forgot to test.  12A is '+' and 8 is '-' by default.
  • Switch positions 16A and 20 are both Enter.  16B is the position that is Enter by default.  I'm not sure why they would design it to allow a split key in this position and then map them all back to Enter.  Presumably there would be alternate programming in that case, but it seems odd to have different programming since there is a physical limitation preventing you from pressing 16A and 20 (that there are no springs there :P ).
  • Switch position 17B is '0'.  17A is '0' and 18 is '00' by default.  This makes sense.

Maybe someone will find this useful/interesting.   :))

I'm sure that 12B would be '+' as well, then. It makes zero sense for 16A and 20 to both be Enter, though. :(

in memoriam

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #11132 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 22:16:26 »
Just received 5pcs tactile grey from mk.com to use for future Octagon keyboard's spacebar.

Is it okay to apply lube on this MX Grey and sticker as well?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11133 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 22:18:10 »
Just received 5pcs tactile grey from mk.com to use for future Octagon keyboard's spacebar.

If you want, sure. It'll have the same effect as on any other tactile switch
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #11134 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 22:20:16 »

If you want, sure. It'll have the same effect as on any other tactile switch

Thanks! Will go ahead and apply lube

Offline spale

« Reply #11135 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 08:23:27 »
My Realforce 55g in on the way (hooray :D) but I have one simple question-is it possible to assign "sleep key" somewhere on this keyboard?
Will test potential solution, immediately once I receive the keyboard.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11136 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:29:54 »
Has anyone ordered & used led's from this eBay seller before? I'd rather pay a little more and get a higher quality led but if these work just as good...I dunno:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-LED-Diodes-Water-Clear-White-Light-Rectangle-Rectangular-Square-/201172207582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed6cc47de

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11137 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:07:56 »
Has anyone ordered & used led's from this eBay seller before? I'd rather pay a little more and get a higher quality led but if these work just as good...I dunno:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-LED-Diodes-Water-Clear-White-Light-Rectangle-Rectangular-Square-/201172207582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed6cc47de

I usually buy mine from this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/ictouchstore

in memoriam

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #11138 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:45:08 »

I usually buy mine from this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/ictouchstore

Awesome, thanks again, JDizzle. =)

Offline loudaslife

« Reply #11139 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:52:28 »
Anybody have (or know where to find) part numbers for Costar-type stabiliser parts? Ones that can be found on Mouser or Digikey?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11140 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:05:22 »
Anybody have (or know where to find) part numbers for Costar-type stabiliser parts? Ones that can be found on Mouser or Digikey?

The only place I've ever found Costar stabilizers for sale is at WASDkeyboards.com

in memoriam

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #11141 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:06:32 »

Bump on this one!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11142 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:07:32 »
Thanks for the bump! The question has been answered here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67625.0

The answer is no.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11143 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:23:32 »
Thanks for the bump! The question has been answered here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67625.0

The answer is no.
That's a shame. Could always stem mod it I guess, but butchering a PBT spacebar would make me cry. I would also really love to get a winkeyless, Cherry dyesub RF. I was thinking 86U + RF CS NEO winkeyless casing
github

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11144 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:58:12 »
RF CS NEO winkeyless casing

I am not familiar with this, and googling a string of acronyms isn't productive.  :))  What is this casing you're referring to?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11145 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:07:54 »
It's a RF keyboard made for CS NEO arcade games in Asia :

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_Realforce_CS_NEO

« Last Edit: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:16:00 by Photekq »
github

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11146 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:11:37 »
a string of acronyms isn't productive.

RF ... CS NEO

:| 

Thankfully, googling just CS NEO was useful.   :thumb:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11147 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:13:45 »
RF = Realforce
CS NEO = CS NEO

:-\
github

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11148 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:16:22 »
CS NEO = CS NEO

Not everyone knows that this is the name of a game!    :-[

:'(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11149 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 20:42:28 »

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/2-filco-black-stabilizers.asp
http://www.keyboardco.com/product/4-filco-white-stabilizers.asp

Part numbers FSTB02 and FSTW04 respectively.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ