Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555195 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12250 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 13:30:00 »
1) Is the cherry mx clear switch the same as cherry grey switch (the non clicky one...)?

2) Am I good if I replace the very hard spring with something equivalent to the cherry reds 45grams spring?

1) No, the tactile grey MX switch has a heavier spring versus the MX clear

2) It'll be the same as an ergo clear. The stems on the Tactile Grey and Clears are the same. I think it's just the spring that's different. I don't like ergo-clears though. I've found they stick. I really prefer stock Clears or MX Black spring + MX Clear stem. But 62g, 55g, and 65g are some popular aftermarket springs. I think techkeys.us has them in stock right now.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #12251 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 13:47:09 »
How2order LZ kbd?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12252 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 13:48:53 »
How2order LZ kbd?

I'm honestly not sure anymore. Used to have GBs here. I think you can try emailing them or going to the LZ site?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12253 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 15:11:53 »
The reason why I don't like clears is that the stem is too big, and it is very difficult to remove keycaps, to the point that you risk making the switch literally explode.

1) Is the cherry mx clear switch the same as cherry grey switch (the non clicky one...)?

2) Am I good if I replace the very hard spring with something equivalent to the cherry reds 45grams spring?

2) It'll be the same as an ergo clear. The stems on the Tactile Grey and Clears are the same. I think it's just the spring that's different. I don't like ergo-clears though. I've found they stick. I really prefer stock Clears or MX Black spring + MX Clear stem. But 62g, 55g, and 65g are some popular aftermarket springs. I think techkeys.us has them in stock right now.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12254 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 15:13:30 »
The reason why I don't like clears is that the stem is too big, and it is very difficult to remove keycaps, to the point that you risk making the switch literally explode.

Pretty sure the worst you can do is rip the top half off. There won't be any explosions :)). I don't have any problems with removing my caps on my 1800 with clears.

* CPTBadAss shrugs

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12255 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 15:19:14 »

This is the reason you want to use a tactile grey stem? You will have the exact same issue, since the stems are physically identical but for the color.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12256 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 15:28:03 »

This is the reason you want to use a tactile grey stem? You will have the exact same issue, since the stems are physically identical but for the color.

Clear stems are definitely tighter than all the others, as a rule. I think maybe the pigment helps shrink the plastic a little bit or something.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12257 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 15:29:46 »

Pretty sure the worst you can do is rip the top half off. There won't be any explosions :)). I don't have any problems with removing my caps on my 1800 with clears.

* CPTBadAss shrugs

Some people have posted photos of the stem ripped out and the top half still in place.  Either way though (just stem or stem + switch top), on a plated board, that sucks.  However, I've never had this issue and I'm not led to believe that it is terribly common (lacking proper data).

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #12258 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 19:14:50 »
i'm honestly avoiding clears for that reason.  could they be using a different type of plastic for the clear stems, maybe?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12259 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 19:42:36 »
Whatever the reason is, I ripped out the stem from the top of the switch... Luckily it was just a switch tester.
Greys seem less tight. I doubt that a caliber could measure such small fractions. I'll try.

From what I remember, normally the cross section of the stem isn't perfectly symmetrical in thickness, but it seems to be symmetrical in clears.

i'm honestly avoiding clears for that reason.  could they be using a different type of plastic for the clear stems, maybe?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12260 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 19:47:07 »

Whatever the reason is, I ripped out the stem from the top of the switch... Luckily it was just a switch tester.
Greys seem less tight. I doubt that a caliber could measure such small fractions. I'll try.

From what I remember, normally the cross section of the stem isn't perfectly symmetrical in thickness, but it seems to be symmetrical in clears.

I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. Just need to be a little more careful when removing caps with clears. Avoiding them completely and accusations of explosions are a bit much lol.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12261 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 20:03:30 »

I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. Just need to be a little more careful when removing caps with clears. Avoiding them completely and accusations of explosions are a bit much lol.
And even if you are scared, just use a Qtip, toothpick, or tweezers to hold the stem down while you pull off a cap. I honestly have never had this issue, even when I put on my Nubb heart which was a tight stem to begin with. And also people need to remember to wiggle, and not pull straight up.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12262 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:20:09 »

And even if you are scared, just use a Qtip, toothpick, or tweezers to hold the stem down while you pull off a cap. I honestly have never had this issue, even when I put on my Nubb heart which was a tight stem to begin with. And also people need to remember to wiggle, and not pull straight up.

I vote for the more careful method as well.  The other night I was placing some switches into a wyse plate and moving some Toxic caps around.  No PCB, and those plates were made with a fairly loose toleranced stamping method.  Switches had clear stems, not one switch pulled from the plate.  Now DSA caps with clear stems is a different ball game.  But SP has said that DSA caps intentionally for tighter for commercial uses iirc.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #12263 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:31:56 »
Did I get knockoff cherry switches on my KBP v60? All the LED switches I see have the logo on the bottom and the sight on the top, not vice versa.

Ayy Lmao

WTB/T: Dollys, Conspires, Ribbits, anything purple, coffee gear

WTS/T: Longboarding gear

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12264 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:35:24 »
Did I get knockoff cherry switches on my KBP v60? All the LED switches I see have the logo on the bottom and the sight on the top, not vice versa.

Show Image

No they're genuine cherry, some boards have the led on the top and some have it on the bottom.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12265 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:39:29 »

Show Image

No they're genuine cherry, some boards have the led on the top and some have it on the bottom.
Yea some people prefer to have the legends illuminated differently
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #12266 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:48:25 »

Show Image

Cool, thanks guys

Yea some people prefer to have the legends illuminated differently
Ayy Lmao

WTB/T: Dollys, Conspires, Ribbits, anything purple, coffee gear

WTS/T: Longboarding gear

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #12267 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 01:32:41 »
Where can I find an overview / introduction on Gateron switches, in regard to 1) "How do they compare to Cherry MX?" and 2) "Which Gateron switch resembles which Cherry MX?"
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2015, 02:38:36 by Eszett »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12268 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 01:37:23 »
Where can I find an overview / introduction on Gateron switches, in regard to 1) "How do they compare to Cherry MX?" and 2) "Which Gateron switch resembles which Cherry MX?"
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gateron+comparison+to+cherry+mx

or copy this in the url of your browser :
site:geekhack.org gateron review
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12269 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 02:45:31 »
Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12270 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 07:58:59 »
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gateron+comparison+to+cherry+mx

or copy this in the url of your browser :
site:geekhack.org gateron review

For a slightly more helpful answer, I think my review has a lot of helpful links.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #12271 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:28:46 »
What is this keyboard, and what switches does it use?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12272 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:38:08 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 16:05:51 by esoomenona »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12273 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:59:05 »

That looks like a rubber dome keyboard. The design of it, though, is reminiscent of an IBM Model M buckling spring keyboard. In specific, the black color with the white on black keys can be found on a black IBM Model M13.

Might be that buckling sleeve rubber dome design. But I don't think I've seen a BS board with an enter and bottom row like that.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12274 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 11:01:14 »

That looks like a rubber dome keyboard. The design of it, though, is reminiscent of an IBM Model M buckling spring keyboard. In specific, the black color with the white on black keys can be found on a black IBM Model M13.

Might be that buckling sleeve rubber dome design. But I don't think I've seen a BS board with an enter and bottom row like that.

I almost guarantee it's a Keytronic similar to this one.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #12275 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:53:09 »

that actually looks like the Das Keyboard 1.0 except with printed keycaps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12276 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 14:49:57 »

First gen Das Keyboard was a Keytronic  ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12277 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:01:55 »

Some supporting links for what nubbinator is saying:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Key_Tronic_E03600_family#Das_Keyboard
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=6652.0

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12278 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:25:15 »
@Captain You wrote a nice review about Gateron blacks!

Another question: Is there a way (a mod) to reduce hysteresis in Cherry MX blues or Gateron blues?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12279 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:26:02 »
Another question: Is there a way to mod hysteresis. I mean to get rid of or at least reduce the hysteresis in Cherry MX blues or Gateron blues?

Yes, the solution is to use another switch :)). Hysteresis is built into the switch AFAIK.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12280 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:27:12 »
Oh, come on, there must be a way to alter the switch itself :-(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12281 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:29:56 »
Theres a 2 part stem and I believe the hysteresis comes from the two parts interacting. So if you broke off one of the parts, the stem that remains would be blue but perform like a black or red. Hence, using another switch. You could also look into jailhouse blues but  fairly sure those have the same issue. And it doesn't go away with lube. So yes, use another switch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:39:49 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12282 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:58:18 »
Alright, thanks Captain! I found a similar question to mine, here

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #12283 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 20:10:04 »

it's fairly nice for a rubber dome keyboard but... yeah.  it's a rubber dome keyboard.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12284 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 21:30:39 »
Theres a 2 part stem and I believe the hysteresis comes from the two parts interacting. So if you broke off one of the parts, the stem that remains would be blue but perform like a black or red. Hence, using another switch. You could also look into jailhouse blues but  fairly sure those have the same issue. And it doesn't go away with lube. So yes, use another switch.

If my understanding of the jailhouse mod, and the function of hyssteresis is correct.  Then the jailhouse mod should get rid of it because the mod locks the sliding part into a fixed position.  The sliding interaction between the two stem parts is what causes it, and the same holds true for all of MX clicky switches. 

That being said, after the jailhouse mod, you no longer have clicky switches, but somethingmore like an ergo clear with the tactile bump higher in the stroke, similar in feel to tactile alps, but with having 4mm of travel vs the ~3.5mm of alps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12285 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 22:44:24 »
I see, I see. The "jailhouse mod" fastens the white slider, that is, prevents the white slider from moving up and down on the blue slider. The wiggling of the white slider produces the "click noise", but also the hysteresis. Alright.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2015, 00:44:37 by Eszett »

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #12286 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 02:19:47 »
I see, I see. The "jailhouse mod" fastens the white slider, that is, prevents the white slider from moving up and down on the blue slider. The wiggling of the white slider produces the "click noise", but also the hysteresis. Alright.
Show Image

I've been looking at my gateron blues today. I think the click actually comes from the copper parts making contact. after the thickest part of the bump passes, the curved metal leaf actually pushes the white slider down while slapping against the other side. the click is actually from the slap, and not from the white slider bottoming out as people seem to suggest.

EDIT: Maybe I was wrong about the blues clicky mechanism. It seems that both do the clicking, but the slider does far more of it. It seems the slider clicks on the blue stem's tabs holding it and not from bottoming out though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:31:22 by StinkyTheDonut »
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12287 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 06:58:24 »
Yeah I think y'all are right about the Jailhouse Blues. No more hysteresis but no more clicking either.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12288 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 08:24:06 »
Vintage or nah

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12289 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 08:34:16 »
Vintage or nah

Show Image

Looks like every other brown I've ever seen. Dunno how to tell them apart

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12290 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 08:37:02 »
Vintage or nah

Show Image

Looks like every other brown I've ever seen. Dunno how to tell them apart
logo is wider (and seems to be a little more flush) on vintage. These look a little like it but also more centered whereas vintage logos kinda seem closer to the stem

Offline phx

« Reply #12291 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 08:53:39 »
how do I fix pinging switches? through lubing?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12292 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 08:57:27 »
how do I fix pinging switches? through lubing?

Lube your switches, clean them, put drawer liner or something of that nature in between the PCB and bottom of the case, put your keyboard on top of something like a mousepad.

Offline Rose

« Reply #12293 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 10:18:50 »
It is my understanding that the purple pins are usable for the matrix.  The green one can be used but the LED on the Teensy will flicker which I don't care about.  For what is the orange pin used?  I am going to use three or four LEDs.  Can I connect them all to the same/either ground?

I have the matrix soldered, I just need to connect it the controller.  Am I correct in understanding that I can connect the teensy to anywhere on each row/column.  Can't imagine why it would need to be at one end or the other but I just want to make sure.
99835-0

Thank you.

Offline 3K

« Reply #12294 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 05:53:57 »
So I want to replace the missing cable of my G80-3000.
The problem is I have no idea in what order I solder in the single strands of the new cable.
It looks like this on the PCB:

More

The strands that were left on the board were attached in the order: yellow, white, green, black, no coating. [1..5]

Can someone tell me what color goes where?/ Where I have to connect Vcc, Data, GND?

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12295 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 06:44:25 »

So I want to replace the missing cable of my G80-3000.
The problem is I have no idea in what order I solder in the single strands of the new cable.
It looks like this on the PCB:

More
Show Image

The strands that were left on the board were attached in the order: yellow, white, green, black, no coating. [1..5]

Can someone tell me what color goes where?/ Where I have to connect Vcc, Data, GND?

Maybe someone here knows how that board is wired up, but if I were you I would just do trial and error. 5v is going to hurt anything.

This would be the standard for USB:

1. Vcc
2. Data -
3. Data +
4. Ground
5. Shield (uncoated)

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #12296 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 06:59:25 »
Maybe someone here knows how that board is wired up, but if I were you I would just do trial and error. 5v is going to hurt anything.

Yeah, um... swapping 5V and ground will kill ICs. At least identify ground and get that connected correctly before experimenting.

*edit* take a photo of the PCB and where you want to connect the USB, I may be able to identify the pinout.

*edit2* "yellow, white, green, black, no coating" does line up with 5V, Data-, Data+, Ground, Shield. It's usually red not yellow.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2015, 07:04:14 by Wilba »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #12297 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 07:11:04 »

Yeah, um... swapping 5V and ground will kill ICs.

Eek! Obviously not my intention. I was applying my experience with analog circuitry like op amps. OP listen to this guy.

My boards:
More

Offline 3K

« Reply #12298 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 07:29:16 »
OP listen to this guy.
No problem, thanks for trying to help, haha.

"yellow, white, green, black, no coating" does line up with 5V, Data-, Data+, Ground, Shield. It's usually red not yellow.
Thanks, I connected it like this, plugged in the USB cable, boot, nothing. No LED reaction, no input registered.
Any ideas? Should I have used a PS/2 cable?

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12299 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 10:18:00 »
"yellow, white, green, black, no coating" does line up with 5V, Data-, Data+, Ground, Shield. It's usually red not yellow.
Thanks, I connected it like this, plugged in the USB cable, boot, nothing. No LED reaction, no input registered.
Any ideas? Should I have used a PS/2 cable?

Did you try a different USB port? Are you sure your solder joints are all good?