Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554273 times)

Offline Alpsie

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12750 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 07:59:14 »
i want to modify the usb cable so that instead of a usb male, it has a short miniusb female end so I can hotswap keyboards more easily. i want to know if it's possible and would appreciate as much information as you're willing to part with.

the keyboard in question is the Cheat, if that even matters. if this isn't possible, I'm selling this baby because this is a dealbreaker.

You've got two options. Buy the female end and swap it on or purchase a male to female cable from your favorite cable supplier. If you do it yourself, you can find pinouts for USB cables online and then splice the female cable to the male one. Then cover with heat shrink or the cover of your choosing. Then swap the cable on your Cheat. I don't know how the cable is attached to the PCB but I'll assume that it's either soldered on or fits in like a Filco with a connector. Either way, I don't think it's very hard to make what you want happen.

Hi all,

I´m currently waiting for the keypop coffee 2.0 set to be produced and mailed, but as I´m currenlt using a CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate I need to replace it with a keyboard thats compatible with the set.
I need it to be brown switches, backlight is not needed. These are the ones that are available to me since I need one that is ISO http://www.prisjakt.nu/kategori.php?m=s227629919\. but I can also get a filco Majestouch 2 which one would you choose?

Is the Coffee set going to be iso compatible? I honestly don't know. Something to check out.

I'd take the Ducky honestly. I think the keycaps are decent quality, the PCB is amazing to work on, the construction is quality, and a great board all around. Either that or the Filco.
Thanks for the reply,  i bought the ISO addon so it is compatible,  is there a certain version of the ducky that tou would advice more than other versions?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12751 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 08:24:32 »
Is there a certain version of the ducky that tou would advice more than other versions?

I like the Shine 2-4.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12752 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 08:42:39 »

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #12754 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 13:29:19 »
Is there a programmable TKL that can be acquired?
By acquired I mean 1-2 months lead time and not something like 7 months

I guess winkeyless.kr is the sanest option
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12755 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 13:35:44 »

GON, Phantom (if the PCB is still being sold at MK.com), any board that will work with bpiphany's controllers (I think there's a Filco Majestouch and QFR controller)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #12756 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 13:38:38 »

GON, Phantom (if the PCB is still being sold at MK.com), any board that will work with bpiphany's controllers (I think there's a Filco Majestouch and QFR controller)

I have WASD's that I enjoy using, but never seen a controller for them, they are theoretically compatible, is there one?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #12757 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 13:41:03 »
Is there like a preferred type or brand of rubber feet to apply to the bottom of a HHKB, or will anything do? It slides quite a bit on my desk.

I use a sheet of drawer liner.  As well as stopping the HHKB from sliding across the desk, it also dampens the echo of my typing reverberating from the desk, so I can enjoy the thock a bit more.

I will see how the stick on feet work (assuming the size I ordered is even usable) and then maybe move towards a solution like yours.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12758 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 14:27:10 »

I have WASD's that I enjoy using, but never seen a controller for them, they are theoretically compatible, is there one?
All Costar-compatible controllers by bpiphany should be listed here.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #12759 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 01:18:38 »

All Costar-compatible controllers by bpiphany should be listed here.

They all seem to be incompatible, bummer: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46700.msg1399765#msg1399765

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #12760 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 14:58:34 »
Who is the best taobao agent?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12761 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 15:07:45 »

Taobaofocus has always worked well for me
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline shaymdev

« Reply #12762 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 17:52:47 »
Is there problem with cutting away a piece of the bottom switch casing? I need a little bit of extra space in my custom build. See the little black line on the switch in the picture.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12763 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 17:58:02 »
Is there problem with cutting away a piece of the bottom switch casing? I need a little bit of extra space in my custom build. See the little black line on the switch in the picture.
Show Image

Probably not. You'll wanna make sure you don't mess with how that leaf switch is being held but other than that, I'm not sure there's any issues.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12764 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 03:24:44 »
Is there a certain version of the ducky that tou would advice more than other versions?

I like the Shine 2-4.

On this, the Shine 1 did not remember backlighting settings after the computer was powered off or rebooted.  I think the Shine 2, definitely the Shine 3, fixed this and remembers backlight settings across reboots.  We well as introducing a lot of new backlight modes.

qtan offers this service.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12765 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 14:41:11 »

He's really hit or miss responding in a timely manner though

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12766 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 22:34:41 »
Does anyone know of a good anodizing service? I thought it might be better to see if anyone hear has had good luck, which would cut out some time for me searching. Thanks!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12767 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 13:27:22 »
Gonna try again, anyone know how to go about programming a 456?

Offline Alpsie

« Reply #12768 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 14:52:39 »

I like the Shine 2-4.

On this, the Shine 1 did not remember backlighting settings after the computer was powered off or rebooted.  I think the Shine 2, definitely the Shine 3, fixed this and remembers backlight settings across reboots.  We well as introducing a lot of new backlight modes.

Thanks Rowdy, just got the shine 4 today and I like it. it feels nicer to type on compared to my older board, so Ill send the old one back to Denmark for my brother to use :) He is currently using a membrane so I´ll spread the joy of mechanical.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12769 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 16:59:56 »
Gonna try again, anyone know how to go about programming a 456?
Did you try asking meiosis? I think he's still got one.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #12770 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 17:32:03 »
If I'm hand-wiring a keyboard, what type/gauge wire do I need? I can't seem to find comprehensive parts list in the BrownFox guide or in the sticky at the top of the making stuff together! board

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12771 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 18:55:47 »
If I'm hand-wiring a keyboard, what type/gauge wire do I need? I can't seem to find comprehensive parts list in the BrownFox guide or in the sticky at the top of the making stuff together! board

You can use whatever's convenient, really. If you want to use wire in addition to the diodes (I think the BrownFox just used diode leads in lieu of extra wire), 24 AWG should be okay, but it still might be thicker than what you need. If you just need a little bit of wire, cutting up an old IDE/PATA or floppy ribbon cable should get you more than enough, as should sacrificing a short cat5 ethernet cable.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline faxe

« Reply #12772 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 06:28:00 »
What makes a switch vintage? The fact that it has been pulled from an old board? If yes, how old does the board have to be?
ISO Clueboard V2 Zealio 78g -ISO Clueboard V1 MX Clear - ISO 60% MX Clear - ISO Filco MJ 2 MX Brown - ISO is life

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12773 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 07:05:27 »
What makes a switch vintage? The fact that it has been pulled from an old board? If yes, how old does the board have to be?
Generally, 20+ years old.

If you mean Cherry MX switches specifically, those made in the 80's or early 90's are slightly different.

Offline E3E

« Reply #12774 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 16:02:12 »
Can anyone with a GON keyboard tell me how tall the middle polycarbonate layer is? I'm trying to work on a piece for a case, but I need a general idea before I go on.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #12775 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 19:30:08 »
Personally I consider 1999 the cutoff for vintage keyboards.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12776 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 19:48:18 »
Can anyone with a GON keyboard tell me how tall the middle polycarbonate layer is? I'm trying to work on a piece for a case, but I need a general idea before I go on.

If you don't get the answer here, Try asking in GON's question thread.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12777 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 05:50:36 »
I'm in the middle of domeswapping my Novatouch to 55g. I put the domes in, then the springs, and screwed the PCB back on. I've gone through that whole process twice, and both times all the keys feel fine except the shift keys, which both feel sluggish. Is there something different about stabilised keys, or do I just need to reposition the domes and try again?

The other stabilised keys are fine.

Edit: I also put my Realforce back together. I overestimated how compatible the Novatouch domes would be. The entire nav cluster, and the right-hand win/menu/ctrl are non-functional. Do you need to cut the dome sheet from the Novatouch to fit the slightly non-standard layout of the Realforce?
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 08:26:20 by Ludovician »
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #12778 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:14:17 »
Alright, I'm looking to buy a b.mini for my gf and I was wondering which 6.25x spacebar is switch position more versatile? Majestouch (centered) or Cherry (off center)?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12779 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:42:31 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 08:24:30 by esoomenona »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12780 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 21:14:08 »
Alright, I'm looking to buy a b.mini for my gf and I was wondering which 6.25x spacebar is switch position more versatile? Majestouch (centered) or Cherry (off center)?

What is a b.mini? Also, if by more versatile, you mean most common and more readily available, I'd say centered.
Agreed. The b. Mini is a pcb right?

More

I'm in the middle of domeswapping my Novatouch to 55g. I put the domes in, then the springs, and screwed the PCB back on. I've gone through that whole process twice, and both times all the keys feel fine except the shift keys, which both feel sluggish. Is there something different about stabilised keys, or do I just need to reposition the domes and try again?

Edit: I also put my Realforce back together. I overestimated how compatible the Novatouch domes would be. The entire nav cluster, and the right-hand win/menu/ctrl are non-functional. Do you need to cut the dome sheet from the Novatouch to fit the slightly non-standard layout of the Realforce?

Realizing more and more what a gaping home my lack of Topre knowledge is. I really should sit down and grill 002.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 21:15:39 by CPTBadAss »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12781 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 21:19:16 »

What is a b.mini? Also, if by more versatile, you mean most common and more readily available, I'd say centered.

Yep, it's winkeyless' 75% PCB

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #12782 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 22:01:48 »

More

Realizing more and more what a gaping home my lack of Topre knowledge is. I really should sit down and grill 002.

Alright, I'll go with the center one. Thanks guys!

Offline shaymdev

« Reply #12783 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 08:46:32 »
Are there any good cherry clear clones? Specifically any with the transparent casing?
I know Gateron clears are just linear 35g... I'm looking for the bigger tactile bump that the cherry clear offers.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12784 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 08:49:01 »
Are there any good cherry clear clones? Specifically any with the transparent casing?
I know Gateron clears are just linear 35g... I'm looking for the bigger tactile bump that the cherry clear offers.

Gateron sadly doesn't offer a mx clear alternative.

Their browns are quite similar to the mx browns.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline shaymdev

« Reply #12785 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 08:50:23 »

What about the other switch makers?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #12786 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 08:53:44 »

Nothing I have heard of.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12787 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 09:26:23 »

I thought the Gateron Browns felt like MX Clears personally. Kailh Browns kind of reminded me of ergo-clears. I tried a random Taobao pink stem that was supposed to be like MX clears. But it was garbage.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 July 2015, 09:28:32 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #12788 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 17:30:56 »
I thought the Gateron Browns felt like MX Clears personally. Kailh Browns kind of reminded me of ergo-clears. I tried a random Taobao pink stem that was supposed to be like MX clears. But it was garbage.

Got a link for those pink switches?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12789 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 17:32:09 »

Got a link for those pink switches?

I don't. Nubbinator would know.

Offline shaymdev

« Reply #12790 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:11:30 »
I'm trying to figure out the wiring of the 5x5 matrix. Is there any functional difference with where I connect the column? Below are two examples, rows in red, columns in blue. The left inner most three keys are a 'row' and need to be connected to the columns.

I've got one example where they all connect to the top of the other columns.

And one example where they connect in random (easy to reach) parts of the column.

So is there any difference in function? Will they both be programmed the exact same way?
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:14:15 by shaymdev »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12791 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:11:58 »
I'm trying to figure out the wiring of the 5x5 matrix. Is there any functional difference with where I connect the column? Below are two examples, rows in red, columns in blue. The left inner most three keys are a 'row' and need to be connected to the columns.

I've got one example where they all connect to the top of the other columns. (Attachment Link)

And one example where they connect in random (easy to reach) parts of the column. (Attachment Link)

So is there any difference in function? Will they both be programmed the exact same way?

Your pictures didn't work :(

Offline shaymdev

« Reply #12792 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:14:43 »

I've got one example where they all connect to the top of the other columns. (Attachment Link)

And one example where they connect in random (easy to reach) parts of the column. (Attachment Link)

Edited post. Now did they?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12793 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:19:25 »

Works for me.

Those appear to be the same electrically. It may actually be easier in terms of cable runs to do the first option, that way you don't need to solder a T-joint. The software only cares about the intersection of a row and a column, it doesn't care about the relationship between different switches in the same column. However, it will make a functional difference how you connect your diodes, if you use them.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12794 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:21:58 »

Looks like you're just routing the cables in two different ways? Seems like it doesn't matter how you route the wires, only how which legs are hooked up.

Offline shaymdev

« Reply #12795 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:33:15 »
Awesome that's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. Now I can hopefully make the wiring somewhat tidy.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #12796 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 21:16:50 »
I'm messing with a Model M, and I can't tell if my problems are hardware or software.

When you plug in your Model M, what happens?

When this one gets power, all three lock LEDs come on, then shut off after ~1s.  When I try to type, nothing.  When I press one of the lock buttons, none of the lights change.

edit: It was a firmware problem.  No longer a Simple Question(tm), moving this to a different thread.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 July 2015, 21:24:50 by BlueNalgene »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12797 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 22:30:53 »
PS/2 keyboards need to be discovered at boot-up.

Hot-plugging won't work.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12798 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 22:46:08 »
PS/2 keyboards need to be discovered at boot-up.

Hot-plugging won't work.

And it's always worth mentioning that it's also dangerous to your PC and keyboard.

Unless you have a USB-to-PS2 adapter. Those are hotplug safe and seem to work fine after boot.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #12799 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 22:52:27 »
I recently purchased a Maltron 2-handed keyboard, and Soarer's converter from Orihalcon. Everything is working well (I'm using it right now to type on), but I would like to reprogram the layout extensively. Reassigning letters is easy enough, but  would like to split some of the punctuation (like moving the ' and " to two completely separate unshifted keys), and move the number keys up one row to the current function keys. Finally, I would like to make F1-F10 available by shift+number (F10 would be shift-0). Here is a picture to illustrate what it looks like currently on the left side of the keyboard:

I think my problem is that I'm not sure whether shift is treated like a function that accesses a different layer (which would make lower case letters, functions, some punctuation, and numbers on one layer, and upper case letters and most punctuation as a different layer), or if it acts as a macro trigger, or maybe something else entirely. I would like to use the most elegant solution, so if anyone can point me to code (even a single example!) that shows how to accomplish A) Moving shifted punctuation to another unshifted key, and B) Making a function key (say, F1) a shift+number setting, I would be very thankful! ;D

Hope that's simple enough. Thanks!