Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555675 times)

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13350 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 13:41:48 »
Does anyone know where I can get long tailed SIP sockets? I got bunch of long MillMax ones off of one of the GBs. I've bought a bunch off of eBay and they're super short.

Thanks in advance!

These here are not the really long tail I have seen in some places, but they are long enough to poke out the bottom of the board when used in-switch: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=311-43-164-41-001000virtualkey57510000virtualkey575-31143164 You can see them on a PCB I was working on here:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13351 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 13:55:13 »
On 7u stab wires: Do bent and straight ones work the same?

Same issue as the 6.25x ones as far as I know. They do the same thing but depending on the plate you have, you'll need the wire with the bend or the straight wire.

Does anyone know where I can get long tailed SIP sockets? I got bunch of long MillMax ones off of one of the GBs. I've bought a bunch off of eBay and they're super short.

Thanks in advance!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg1879842#msg1879842

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13352 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 14:13:38 »
Tapatalk fail......^^the sip sockets I linked earlier in the thread are short.

The longer millmax aren't as common. Mouser might have them but they cost quite a bit more than the eBay ones. There should be some info in that group buy thread.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 14:16:40 by SpAmRaY »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #13353 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 17:38:30 »
Do the little clips that hold the stabilizer wire on alps plates pop out really easy? On my matias V60 the right clip on the left shift comes out very easily, but also snaps back into place easily so I was just curious if I messed it up the first time it came out, or if they are always easy to pop in and out.

Once I pop it in it is fine and will not come back out until I swap the cap, so it is not anything that affects the board much, just something I was curious about because I would like to avoid messing more of them up if it is something I did.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13354 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:03:04 »
Do the little clips that hold the stabilizer wire on alps plates pop out really easy?

The body of the thing is in a "C" shape pointing downwards, and it is the "C" trying to open up that holds it in place.

If you squeeze the "C" too far closed you can collapse it somewhat, and if it is strained or cracked it won't push out as well.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Bucake

« Reply #13355 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:31:01 »
the spacebar rattles like crazy. any way to 'fix' this? the stabilizer does not seem damaged or bent in any way.

The space bar probably has 2 insert tabs on the underside that hold the wire, and there are probably 2 hold-down tabs mounted in the front plate. Ensure that all 4 of these are seated properly and the wire is being restrained as it should be.
thanks! i checked everything (removed it and installed it again to be sure), but it didn't help.
i think the stabilizer just rattles a little bit in-between the tabs that hold it. i guess i could try to squeeze the tabs a bit so the fit is a bit tighter, but i don't like the risk of breaking the plastic. maybe i'll try some thick lube..

anywhere to get springs for (compicated) alps?
I would send you some old switches for the cost of international postage, but it would be faster and easier to get them in the Euro zone.
i have a shot at getting an apple extended keyboard locally. if i win the auction, i guess my problem is solved : )
thanks a ton for the offer!

I have some broken Matias Linear switches (missing leads) that you could have. They are 60gf though.
thank you for the offer : )
hopefully it won't be needed.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:35:06 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13356 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:04:03 »
the spacebar rattles like crazy. any way to 'fix' this? the stabilizer does not seem damaged or bent in any way.

If hold down tabs are loose you should replace the stab base supports.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13357 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 22:25:56 »

If hold down tabs are loose you should replace the stab base supports.

If they are loose in the plate or the inserts are loose in the caps, try using bits of plastic from sandwich baggies as a shim.  They work wonders on SP DCS sets that are notorious for letting inserts fall out, though I haven't used them for the parts mounted to the plate.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline raymogi

« Reply #13358 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 06:54:13 »
Can I hot plug/unplug the SSK? Using the ps2 port.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #13359 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 07:12:12 »

no you'll need an active PS2 to USB adaptor
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline darkspider

« Reply #13360 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 07:15:31 »
Regardless of model of keyboards, I don't recommend hotplugging PS2. Maybe your M/B won't recognize it as mine won't recognize my Model Ms. But you can do it using usb conversion.
IBM Model F AT         Model M silver label    Model M gray label    Majestouch 2 Ninja

Brand New F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial Model F's made this year

Offline raymogi

« Reply #13361 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 07:16:44 »
Thanks for the answer.

Yeah my SSK wasn't recognized the first time I plugged it in, had to do some registry tweak I found by googling.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #13362 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 07:30:32 »
rebooting while the ps/2 board is plugged in should also work.
but i guess that tweak is more convenient : )
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13363 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:27:22 »
There are a lot of videos that visually show how to build a computer and that helped me out a lot. But I can't find any videos of someone building a keyboard. I need to see something to learn it. Are there any videos of someone showing how to build a keyboard?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #13364 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:28:21 »
There are a lot of videos that visually show how to build a computer and that helped me out a lot. But I can't find any videos of someone building a keyboard. I need to see something to learn it. Are there any videos of someone showing how to build a keyboard?

This is the one I watch for guidance:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13365 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:31:31 »
Search YouTube for whitefiredragon

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13366 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:43:34 »
Edit:  Deleted, changing direction with project.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 20:41:06 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13367 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 22:26:59 »
Has someone had experience with the double soldering iron and de-solder pump tools?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #13368 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 23:24:27 »
Search YouTube for whitefiredragon

Yup  https://www.youtube.com/user/WhiteFireDragon/videos  Helped me out a lot.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13369 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:34:23 »
Has someone had experience with the double soldering iron and de-solder pump tools?

If you are talking about these, I have one an really like it for a cheap simple tool. But it is really only for de-soldering.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline elgiraffe

« Reply #13370 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:25:38 »
Is there a way to setup on-the-fly macro recording with a custom keyboard?  What I mean is I want to have a macro button and a macro record button.  When I press the macro record button it starts recording keypresses until I hit the record button again and it stores the keypresses in memory.  Then when I press the macro button, it repeats the recorded macro.

I know this is doable with software installed on the PC, but I was hoping for something in the keyboard itself.  I am currently using a teensy 2.0, but I could upgrade that if needed.

Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13371 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:47:48 »
Is there a way to setup on-the-fly macro recording with a custom keyboard?  What I mean is I want to have a macro button and a macro record button.  When I press the macro record button it starts recording keypresses until I hit the record button again and it stores the keypresses in memory.  Then when I press the macro button, it repeats the recorded macro.

I know this is doable with software installed on the PC, but I was hoping for something in the keyboard itself.  I am currently using a teensy 2.0, but I could upgrade that if needed.

Thanks.

Um...I'm really bad at code and I can't tell for sure if it's been implemented in TMK. I think it has but I'd ask in hasu's TMK thread. Looks like metalliqaz's EasyAVR does support it though.

More
Hello there, I'm typing this from my month old HHKB from EK. I'm loving the Topre feel and I love the keyboard - but I use this at work. I've noticed that if I put my MacBook Pro to sleep for any long than 10-20 minutes, the keyboard won't respond after waking it up - sometimes for an hour or more. Restarting and plugging/unplugging doesn't fix it. I've heard of this bug in OS X but I'm in desperate need of figuring this out - whenever I go on lunch I have to come back and spend the rest of the day typing on my Macbook's keyboard...and it's so horrible after using the HHKB all day! Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Sorry if this is in the wrong sub/thread - I figured it might be a keyboard issue).

PS - I've already installed the mac drivers from the EK website, but it didn't make a difference. Also, the dip switch for Mac layout is on (obviously).

Thanks ahead of time everybody!

I found this thread. I'm not sure if that's useful to you but maybe you can look through it and see if it helps at all?
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:49:35 by CPTBadAss »

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #13372 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:10:27 »
The bumps that came with the octagon were really cool, is it possible to buy something similar?

To expand on this:  the bumpers(?) under the octagon were really cool since you could move the keyboard with them on if you applied enough force.  Does anyone know if there is something similar available anywhere or if it's possible to get replacement ones from Duck?  (I lost one of my bumpers)
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13373 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:14:43 »
The bumps that came with the octagon were really cool, is it possible to buy something similar?

To expand on this:  the bumpers(?) under the octagon were really cool since you could move the keyboard with them on if you applied enough force.  Does anyone know if there is something similar available anywhere or if it's possible to get replacement ones from Duck?  (I lost one of my bumpers)

3M makes bumpers. Look for one that looks like it will work. I'd say like 90% of the bumpers I've seen are just 3M bumpers. I spent like 30 minutes looking for a picture of the Octogon bumpers with no luck and that's why I didn't reply.

Please don't bump your questions. This is the last time I'm going to ask nicely. If everyone bumps their question, this thread will get really messy.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13374 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:25:15 »
Please don't bump your questions. This is the last time I'm going to ask nicely. If everyone bumps their question, this thread will get really messy.

It's entirely possible that someone's question is overlooked by the "expert" that would know the answer.  What should someone do in that case?  Not trying to cause a ruckus, just genuinely curious.  I agree that if everyone bumps it's complete chaos.  I suppose at that point the asker could deem it no longer a simple question, and create an individual thread?

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #13375 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:34:59 »

Thanks.
There is this that can do just that. I'm using it on 2 different keyboards, and it works fine, but u need a compatible board (handwire is compatible). The teensy has enough horsepower, but if your converting from a different protocol (say ps/2) than your kinda out of luck unless you know python, in which case PM me! :)
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13376 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 14:50:46 »

It's entirely possible that someone's question is overlooked by the "expert" that would know the answer.  What should someone do in that case?  Not trying to cause a ruckus, just genuinely curious.  I agree that if everyone bumps it's complete chaos.  I suppose at that point the asker could deem it no longer a simple question, and create an individual thread?

That or PM me and I'll work extra hard to find an answer. Usually a question doesn't get buried...it's only goes a few pages back. Having a bit of patience can't hurt. In this particular case, it was only two days.

If you set a precedence, people will take advantage so I'm going with cutting it off before it begins. Nothing against  asgeirtj. He just happened to do it and I caught myself asking for no bumps again.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13377 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 16:45:24 »

If you are talking about these, I have one an really like it for a cheap simple tool. But it is really only for de-soldering.

I used to use one of those.  Used it for one board and junked it and bought an Edsyn desoldering pump to use with a standard iron.  Much better desoldering.  You can find them at geekhackers.org.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #13378 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 06:51:32 »

That or PM me and I'll work extra hard to find an answer. Usually a question doesn't get buried...it's only goes a few pages back. Having a bit of patience can't hurt. In this particular case, it was only two days.

If you set a precedence, people will take advantage so I'm going with cutting it off before it begins. Nothing against  asgeirtj. He just happened to do it and I caught myself asking for no bumps again.

Sorry for bumping, just though if I'd expand/give more information I'd be more likely to get an answer.  I'll provide a picture of the octagon bumpers later today.

Another question:

http://cherrycorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/12.gif

Does anyone know the difference in height between E and F row in mm ?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13379 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 07:35:18 »

I used to use one of those.  Used it for one board and junked it and bought an Edsyn desoldering pump to use with a standard iron.  Much better desoldering.  You can find them at geekhackers.org.

It seems that they work, thank you very much for your answers. I do not do well with a separated sucker, so I will give one of these a try.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13380 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 07:58:06 »
Another question:

http://cherrycorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/12.gif

Does anyone know the difference in height between E and F row in mm ?

If you're not super picky I can try measuring them with my micrometer later. I can't find a measurement online.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13381 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 08:42:12 »
Talk about bumpers.
I bumped (HAH, PUN) into the 3M bumpers today, and found a picture of all the different models in the series.

https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/assets/large/selbstklebende-kunststofffusse-bumpon-Trademark--13.jpg

I was referring to SJ5017, but as you can see there's quite a selection.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13382 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 12:40:58 »
The recent discussion about HHKBs, Macs, and sleep issues was split from this topic and now exists as its own dedicated topic.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #13383 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:14:32 »
Here is a pic of my bumper, as you can see the adhesive has gone bad.  So what m3 type is this one?  And where can I  buy it cheap?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13384 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:18:08 »
Here is a pic of my bumper, as you can see the adhesive has gone bad.  So what m3 type is this one?  And where can I  buy it cheap?

Search for 3M bumpon or 3M rubber bumper on your favorite buying website like Amazon or eBay. If you want to be more specific, measure the bumpon you have and then search for those dimensions. I don't know **** about Iceland retailers so I don't know how to find something that has cheap shipping to you. So I don't know what cheap is where you are.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:22:18 by CPTBadAss »

Offline agbockus

« Reply #13385 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:31:49 »
The recent discussion about HHKBs, Macs, and sleep issues was split from this topic and now exists as its own dedicated topic.
Sorry Hoff! I didn't really know where else to put it when I started and figured it was going to be a quick fix. I was so wrong...

Thank you for your help!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13386 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 14:35:04 »
Sorry Hoff! I didn't really know where else to put it when I started and figured it was going to be a quick fix. I was so wrong...

Thank you for your help!

It's no problem. That's exactly how I envisioned this thread to work: If it's easy, then we'll take care of it here. If it's not working out so easily, we break it off into a new thread. I asked the mod team to break it out and Hoff helped me out. So definitely thanks for the quick reply Hoff and glad this is all helping you. No need to be sorry :).

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13387 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 15:40:29 »

Thank you for your help!

It's no problem. That's exactly how I envisioned this thread to work: If it's easy, then we'll take care of it here. If it's not working out so easily, we break it off into a new thread. I asked the mod team to break it out and Hoff helped me out. So definitely thanks for the quick reply Hoff and glad this is all helping you. No need to be sorry :).

Yeah, no need to apologize.  :)  That's how this is supposed to work!  :D  Happy to help.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13388 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 17:20:12 »
Questions about Gateron switches.
1) Are there any currently avaliable Gateron switch testers? I have a Cherry switch tester and it helped me out a lot. There are a few on Massdrop that are really good but they might not be avaliable for a long time.
2) Are there any comparisons between Gateron and Cherry switches so I can get an idea of what they feel like? I can't find any.

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13389 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 17:43:32 »
Does anybody know where I can get the NPKC 17 Switch Tester (other than Ebay)?
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/npkc-switch-tester/talk

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13390 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 17:55:01 »
Not sure its a simple question, but figured someone might know.

Anyone know where I can find a 30g topre board or want to sell me theirs?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13391 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 19:20:34 »

They sell them on the japanese auctions sites, like yahoo. You need a proxy though to buy from there, but evo_spec on the forums has helped many gh'ers out with this!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13392 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 19:26:55 »

They sell them on the japanese auctions sites, like yahoo. You need a proxy though to buy from there, but evo_spec on the forums has helped many gh'ers out with this!
Cool thanks for the info. Ideally I would be looking for an ANSI layout uniform 30g in TKL, but I don't even know if that exists.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13393 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:42:20 »
Questions about Gateron switches.
1) Are there any currently avaliable Gateron switch testers? I have a Cherry switch tester and it helped me out a lot. There are a few on Massdrop that are really good but they might not be avaliable for a long time.
2) Are there any comparisons between Gateron and Cherry switches so I can get an idea of what they feel like? I can't find any.
3) Does anybody know where I can get the NPKC 17 Switch Tester (other than Ebay)?
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/npkc-switch-tester/talk

1) That NPKC one or other testers that Massdrop may come out with are the only ones I'm aware of that have Gaterons.

2) There's a bunch of threads on this topic. I also wrote a review.

3) I'm not aware of it being available anywhere else.

Offline ManicMatt1125

« Reply #13394 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 15:43:34 »
Question about CM Novatouch compatibility with Topre key caps

I read ripsters review and if I understand it correctly, topre caps will NOT fit on the novatouch, unless the stem is switched out, IS this correct?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13395 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 15:52:15 »
Question about CM Novatouch compatibility with Topre key caps

I read ripsters review and if I understand it correctly, topre caps will NOT fit on the novatouch, unless the stem is switched out, IS this correct?

Correct. Only mx keys will work on the novatouch. To note, many mx artisans won't work on the novatouch, because some of them (such as bro caps) have square stems which don't fit on the circular sliders.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13396 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 19:52:08 »
Any suggestions for getting ball point pen out of PBT caps?

Denture cleaner doesn't seem to be getting through.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13397 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 19:53:11 »

Isopropyl Alcohol?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13398 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 20:02:44 »

My process is: (1) soap (2) alcohol (3) mineral spirits (4) naptha or acetone [careful!] (5) abrasives - white "Mr Clean" sponge eraser - Scotchbrite scrubber - pencil eraser - electric eraser - sandpaper
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13399 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 22:07:57 »

My process is: (1) soap (2) alcohol (3) mineral spirits (4) naptha or acetone [careful!] (5) abrasives - white "Mr Clean" sponge eraser - Scotchbrite scrubber - pencil eraser - electric eraser - sandpaper

Water with 15% in weight backing soda, let the caps in the mix for half an hour, and scrub them gently with scothbrite, clean them and you got it. Solvents and abrasives are not recommended by any means.