Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556348 times)

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13850 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 21:32:19 »
I'm trying to decide between which Model M to get for my first one.  Would anybody be able to help me decide which one would be best out of these?

Here are the listings for Canada in my price range:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-MODEL-M-KEYBOARD-VINTAGE-1988-BLACK-LOGO-ps-2-/361434588081?hash=item54272e23b1:g:-fcAAOSweuxWSPts&clk_rvr_id=936303064253&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 21:49:14 by cryptokey »
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13851 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 22:18:40 »
bump

Seriously? You didn't get an answer in 30 minutes so you bumped which is against the rules of this thread? Have a little patience.

I'm trying to decide between which Model M to get for my first one.  Would anybody be able to help me decide which one would be best out of these?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-MODEL-M-KEYBOARD-VINTAGE-1988-BLACK-LOGO-ps-2-/361434588081?hash=item54272e23b1:g:-fcAAOSweuxWSPts&clk_rvr_id=936303064253&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

You have one keyboard that you can afford? Just pick up a 1391401. They're all pretty much the same anyways.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13852 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 22:23:37 »
bump

Seriously? You didn't get an answer in 30 minutes so you bumped which is against the rules of this thread? Have a little patience.

You have one keyboard that you can afford? Just pick up a 1391401. They're all pretty much the same anyways.

My apologies, I should have read the rules first.  Won't happen again.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #13853 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 07:19:35 »
bump

My apologies, I should have read the rules first.  Won't happen again.

Also if you want an immediate response, the IRC chat might be helpful.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13854 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 08:12:44 »

I don't know what Unicomp charges for shipping to Canada, but a new Unicomp with USB and warranty is my recommendation for your first M.

Move into the hobbyist realm after you discover that you like them.

Otherwise, this is a great deal, too, depending on shipping:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77273.0
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13855 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:25:26 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:55:23 by alienman82 »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13856 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 12:27:52 »
How do the weight of alps blues compare to alps white?

I don't think the weighting is to different but the smoothness if Blues make them feel lighter.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13857 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:29:57 »
Would it be possible to get a variable-weighted Topre Realforce board then swap the springs for 55g springs?  If so, would I be able to buy replacement springs anywhere or am I limited to using a donor board? 
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13858 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:49:07 »
Would it be possible to get a variable-weighted Topre Realforce board then swap the springs for 55g springs?  If so, would I be able to buy replacement springs anywhere or am I limited to using a donor board?

The domes are what give it the weight, not the springs.  So you'd be swapping domes.  But no, you cannot buy domes (or springs for that matter, so don't lose them) anywhere.  You'll need a donor board for any sort of swap.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13859 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 13:57:58 »

The domes are what give it the weight, not the springs.  So you'd be swapping domes.  But no, you cannot buy domes (or springs for that matter, so don't lose them) anywhere.  You'll need a donor board for any sort of swap.

Thanks!  As you can tell, I'm very new to Topre.:p
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13860 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 14:00:05 »

Thanks!  As you can tell, I'm very new to Topre.:p

Not a problem, that is the point of this thread after all.  ;)  It's not very intuitive unless you already know it, especially since MX/others weights are determined by springs.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13861 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:58:25 »
Where's the best place to get boards with OG Cherry doubleshots? I know that some of the SKU codes indicate doubleshot keycaps but I'm not sure how to effectively search for them on ebay

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #13862 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 21:01:08 »
Where's the best place to get boards with OG Cherry doubleshots? I know that some of the SKU codes indicate doubleshot keycaps but I'm not sure how to effectively search for them on ebay

I would also be interested in the answer to this question. I usually search around on great finds a lot, as well as DT (they tend to have many more vintage boards for sale).
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #13863 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 15:12:28 »
Are gaterons wobblier than cherry? I haven't used either in a while, so I don't think I can judge either of the two properly

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13864 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 16:45:42 »
Are gaterons wobblier than cherry? I haven't used either in a while, so I don't think I can judge either of the two properly

They feel the same, in my experience.

Offline E3E

« Reply #13865 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 16:49:40 »

They feel the same, in my experience.

I concur. If there is a difference, it's not a practical one.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13866 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:24:35 »
is there any ps/2 to usb converter other the otd one work with otd pcb?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13867 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:39:37 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:54:44 by alienman82 »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13868 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 01:12:35 »
Has there been any custom boards made with 4 layer boards?  For some reason, I have a design goal of minimum vias on my boards.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #13869 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:05:25 »

Zealios are a bit more wobbly, normal gaterons are not.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13870 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:33:22 »

Look for an H immediately after the model number, e.g. G80-3000HRBUS
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13871 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 13:51:45 »
I have a switch on a homemade board which I've assembled, but not used much since I (STILL) don't have the stabilizers.

The switch doesn't activate when I press the button normally, only when I first press it all the way down, THEN push really hard. Does that sound like something that can be fixed without soldering, or should I replace the switch right away?

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #13872 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 12:40:47 »
Looking to clean some vintage cruciform alp switches, what would be a good cleaner to use for that purpose? Got denture clean, oxiclean, simply clean, dish soap and various other household cleaners.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13873 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 19:38:30 »

Look for an H immediately after the model number, e.g. G80-3000HRBUS

Thanks man!

Offline myotherteeshirt

« Reply #13874 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 00:59:05 »
I took apart a Razer BW, and after desoldering cleaned the bottom with 96% isopropyl alcohol: used a brush to get it on and dabbed dry with a cloth, and now the back of the pcb is all sticky. It is matte compared to the glossy front.

Do some PCBs have a coating that don't play well with ipa?

Also, the board seems to be soldered on to the plate - any harm in attempting to separate them?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13875 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 05:03:15 »
The sticky residue is probably leftover flux from the assembly process. The connection to the plate is probably a grounding point, though it might just be a way to keep them together. Either way, it's safe to take apart but if you want to solder then back together you'll probably need a larger radius solder.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13876 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 10:57:20 »
I have a switch on a homemade board which I've assembled, but not used much since I (STILL) don't have the stabilizers.

The switch doesn't activate when I press the button normally, only when I first press it all the way down, THEN push really hard. Does that sound like something that can be fixed without soldering, or should I replace the switch right away?

I'd just replace the switch.

Looking to clean some vintage cruciform alp switches, what would be a good cleaner to use for that purpose? Got denture clean, oxiclean, simply clean, dish soap and various other household cleaners.

I'd use Isopropyl alcohol first.

How do the weight of alps blues compare to alps white?

I don't think the weighting is to different but the smoothness if Blues make them feel lighter.

I'd agree with this. I think it's like Model F and M where the weights are about the same but somehow, the F feels lighter.

I would also be interested in the answer to this question. I usually search around on great finds a lot, as well as DT (they tend to have many more vintage boards for sale).

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_TT

Is that the one with the Teensy in the acrylic block? I think that's the only thing I've ever heard of that works with OTD boards but I don't know for sure.

In my experience they feel the same.

Has there been any custom boards made with 4 layer boards?  For some reason, I have a design goal of minimum vias on my boards.

I don't think so. Not sure what the advantage is to having more layers.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13877 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 11:20:09 »
So my WASD Code's micro usb port randomly stopped working - no impact to it or nothing (my third problem with the WASD Code and I never break electronics).  Would it be possible to take this opportunity to solder in a mini usb port onto the pcb or can I only replace/resolder the micro usb port?
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13878 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 11:21:55 »
So my WASD Code's micro usb port randomly stopped working - no impact to it or nothing (my third problem with the WASD Code and I never break electronics).  Would it be possible to take this opportunity to solder in a mini usb port onto the pcb or can I only replace/resolder the micro usb port?

The footprint isn't the same, so you would only be able to replace it with another micro. Honestly, with that many problems, can you not still return it under warranty?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13879 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 11:33:21 »

The footprint isn't the same, so you would only be able to replace it with another micro. Honestly, with that many problems, can you not still return it under warranty?

Thanks for the info.  I originally returned it for a refund but instead they repaired it and sent it back... I'm thinking I'll contact them again about it and make sure I get my money back.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13880 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 18:59:04 »

Is that the one with the Teensy in the acrylic block? I think that's the only thing I've ever heard of that works with OTD boards but I don't know for sure.

yeah, that's the one I am talking about.. maybe I will buy few different ps/2 usb converter to try them one by one

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #13881 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:46:13 »

yeah, that's the one I am talking about.. maybe I will buy few different ps/2 usb converter to try them one by one

are you talking about the converter from kbdmod?
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 December 2015, 14:51:40 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline n__dles

« Reply #13882 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:13:27 »
Is there a noticeable quality difference between the Unicomp Classic and Ultra Classic? I heard that the Classic's mould has a lot of wear, so it's better to get the Ultra Classic for that reason alone.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13883 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 21:17:56 »
Is there anywhere I can look at the schematic for the LED circuit on the phantom?

Using a similar type of circuit, would it be possible to run 152 LEDs with a similar circuit?

Or, will I need another connection to USB/another power source?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13884 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 22:15:40 »

are you talking about the converter from kbdmod?

yeah, that's the one I am talking about..wasn't aware it's actually from kbdmod before

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13885 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 00:10:08 »
Are 22mm x 18mm keys 1.25u or 1.5u? Where could I find R4 MX replacements for whichever it is?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13886 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 00:53:59 »
Are 22mm x 18mm keys 1.25u or 1.5u? Where could I find R4 MX replacements for whichever it is?

Those keys are 1.25u x 1u. http://pimpmykeyboard.com/ sells individual keys, I believe, although none of their profiles are particularly close to OEM profile (stock keycaps).
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline element72

« Reply #13887 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:49:01 »
Is there a way I can purchase this keyboard or something very similar: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=634

I prefer direct access to the arrow keys and I want the keyboard to be this compact. It is so hard to find a keyboard design like this. Maybe it's possible to program one like this? Could the pok3r be programmed like this and are the keys close enough for making similar arrow keys?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13888 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 04:12:38 »
How is it possible that an alu 60% case for pok3r-compatible keyboards is 99 USD, when the actual pok3r with Alu casing is 120? I mean, I'd rather buy a Pok3r and a cheap 20$ plastic case, and have an extra keyboard!

Are there cheaper alu cases? Like the original Pok3r ones?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13889 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:51:56 »
1) How is it possible that an alu 60% case for pok3r-compatible keyboards is 99 USD, when the actual pok3r with Alu casing is 120? I mean, I'd rather buy a Pok3r and a cheap 20$ plastic case, and have an extra keyboard!

2) Are there cheaper alu cases? Like the original Pok3r ones?

1) It's just marketing and pricing schemes.

2) Cheapest aluminum cases I've seen are the $60 ones that pexon had

Is there a way I can purchase this keyboard or something very similar: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=634

I prefer direct access to the arrow keys and I want the keyboard to be this compact. It is so hard to find a keyboard design like this. Maybe it's possible to program one like this? Could the pok3r be programmed like this and are the keys close enough for making similar arrow keys?

Filco Minila might fit the bill. I don't think you can program the Pok3r to that extent. I don't think the Pok3r is fully programmable like a board with a Teensy and TMK is.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13890 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:58:46 »

2) Cheapest aluminum cases I've seen are the $60 ones that pexon had

Man I swear that is the actual Poker 3 case

Offline element72

« Reply #13891 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:30:45 »

Filco Minila might fit the bill. I don't think you can program the Pok3r to that extent. I don't think the Pok3r is fully programmable like a board with a Teensy and TMK is.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the spacebar is too small. My thumb naturally rests aligned with and under the D key when playing an FPS game. I was hoping someone might give me some obscure keyboard designer, such as one made for and by the community. An example would be the hypermini-c400, but it's still pending on community interest, so it's not produced. I am still going through the 60% keyboard list that's posted on this thread. Would it be safe to say that if I don't see any other option in the list, then it is very unlikely I'll find what I am looking for? I also read somewhere that the pok3r is in fact fully programmable except for a couple keys, but that statement was from keyboard enthusiasts.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13892 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:35:01 »

Thanks for the suggestion, but the spacebar is too small. My thumb naturally rests aligned with and under the D key when playing an FPS game. I was hoping someone might give me some obscure keyboard designer, such as one made for and by the community. An example would be the hypermini-c400, but it's still pending on community interest, so it's not produced. I am still going through the 60% keyboard list that's posted on this thread. Would it be safe to say that if I don't see any other option in the list, then it is very unlikely I'll find what I am looking for? I also read somewhere that the pok3r is in fact fully programmable except for a couple keys, but that statement was from keyboard enthusiasts.

The layout you posted is really unpopular so not many stock keyboards are made with that layout. The Pok3r has  programmable layers but  you can't change the default base ANSI layout. If you have a custom controller, I could make my home row ;',./[]\456 if I wanted to.

I would highly suggest looking into making your own keyboard to suit your specific tastes and needs. Or just hunting for a Pure Pro in the Classifieds.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13893 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:05:36 »
You can't change the default layout, but no one can stop you from using layer 2 AS your default layout :)

Offline element72

« Reply #13894 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:32:49 »

The layout you posted is really unpopular so not many stock keyboards are made with that layout. The Pok3r has  programmable layers but  you can't change the default base ANSI layout. If you have a custom controller, I could make my home row ;',./[]\456 if I wanted to.

I would highly suggest looking into making your own keyboard to suit your specific tastes and needs. Or just hunting for a Pure Pro in the Classifieds.

Edit: Please bare with me as I have never programmed a mechanical keyboard before. I just want to clarify... regarding the pok3r keyboard, I will be able to setup the arrow keys as I wish by using either layer 2 ~ layer 4, correct?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13895 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:34:29 »
Please bare with me as I have never programmed a mechanical keyboard before. I just want to clarify... I will be able to setup the arrow keys as I wish by using either layer 2 ~ layer 4, correct?

Yeah but it won't be as available as the Pure Pro arrow keys. It'd be on a secondary layer unless you use the secondary layer as your primary like tofgerl said. I'm pretty sure you can't program over what they specify in the manual either.

Offline element72

« Reply #13896 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:34:52 »
You can't change the default layout, but no one can stop you from using layer 2 AS your default layout :)

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I was editing my post earlier lol.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13897 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:35:48 »

It's still not as clean as having a completely programmable keyboard. See my post above.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13898 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:47:35 »
Yeah, I started with a Pok3r, and am currently planning 6(!) homemade. 3 GH60 Satan, one FaceW and two Alps Party. I figure I'll keep three and give three away :)

Possibly I'll sell the Pok3r. Don't know...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13899 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 08:48:59 »

It's still not as clean as having a completely programmable keyboard. See my post above.

Having the option to remap a second or third layer key assignments is not the same as having full keyboard programability. The confusion comes from manufacturers that use the term programmable keyboard to describe a keyboard featuring layer remapping capabilities. A programmable keyboard allows the user to define all key assignments with no restrictions.