Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554018 times)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #14550 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:45:10 »
I can get an IBM Model M for $58 shipped, very clean looking, is this a good price for one?

Alternatively, I can get a filthy one with a few keycaps missing for like $38 shipped.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14551 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:48:06 »
I can get an IBM Model M for $58 shipped, very clean looking, is this a good price for one?

Alternatively, I can get a filthy one with a few keycaps missing for like $38 shipped.

Keycaps from Unicomp are $1 or more for spacebars + $6 at least for shipping. Unless you are significantly strapped, buy the clean complete one.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14552 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 13:16:03 »

Keycaps from Unicomp are $1 or more for spacebars + $6 at least for shipping. Unless you are significantly strapped, buy the clean complete one.

Thanks for the response.

Furthermore, the clean one is a fourth gen, does this mean it's significantly lower quality than the older grey label ones? What are some of the differences?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14553 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 14:11:54 »
does this mean it's significantly lower quality than the older grey label ones? What are some of the differences?

Most of us old-timers prefer the older ones, IBM lightened up the weights of various components over time. 1987 and earlier are the heaviest and I particularly like the square aluminum badges better than the plastic oval labels. That said, I have a couple of 1991 beige (aka "black") labels that are perfectly sturdy and solid. There is nothing wrong with the blue labels (I don't know how to calculate "generations") but I do feel that early-1990s are better than late-1990s.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14554 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 11:23:34 »
I see, what about the Unicomps? They are tempting because I like the color schemes and the smaller footprint, plus they will not have the bad rivets like Model M's.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14555 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 12:51:22 »
I see, what about the Unicomps? They are tempting because I like the color schemes and the smaller footprint, plus they will not have the bad rivets like Model M's.

The Unicomp keyboards are nice keyboards.  I just personally don't care for M.  They are a nice representation of M buckling springs though.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14556 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 21:30:00 »
Anybody have a good trick to counting MX switch springs?? I've got quite a few different packs but I have no idea how many are in each pack.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #14557 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 21:33:13 »
Anybody have a good trick to counting MX switch springs?? I've got quite a few different packs but I have no idea how many are in each pack.

If you have a good scale try taking the weight of just one spring. Then measure total weight and divide by individual weight to get the total number of springs.

If your scale isn't sensitive enough use maybe 10 springs as your minimum unit and do it the same weigh. It won't be as accurate, but it's faster than counting.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14558 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 21:37:01 »

If you have a good scale try taking the weight of just one spring. Then measure total weight and divide by individual weight to get the total number of springs.

If your scale isn't sensitive enough use maybe 10 springs as your minimum unit and do it the same weigh. It won't be as accurate, but it's faster than counting.

I have a shipping scale but I just tried it and its not even close to being sensitive enough. The entire bag of springs with an index card inside barely registers.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #14559 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 21:39:14 »

I have a shipping scale but I just tried it and its not even close to being sensitive enough. The entire bag of springs with an index card inside barely registers.

I think you may have to count them all out, unless you want to try measuring by water displacement, if you even can (brain is half off, not sure this would work).

Offline Bucake

« Reply #14560 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 13:20:20 »
is the IBM Model M the only keyboard that uses an SDL cable...??
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14561 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 15:38:38 »

I believe so.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14562 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 01:41:25 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_data_link_connector

Shielded Data Link just seems to be a type of cable, with numerous applications.

IBM SDL to AT or PS/2 is one application.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #14563 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 02:40:43 »
Connector, not cable. Important difference.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14564 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 04:41:24 »
If I like the sound of White ALPS but like the feel of MX Blues, is there a third option?

Offline sypl

« Reply #14565 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 07:51:45 »
What package size are the RGB LEDs in the Cherry RGB switches?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14566 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 07:55:27 »
If I like the sound of White ALPS but like the feel of MX Blues, is there a third option?
I don't know man, do you like a higher actuation point? if so, then get an alps bro

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14567 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 08:26:09 »
Can the infinity ergodox uses SKCM alps switches? cause I see that they support the matias one

Offline E3E

« Reply #14568 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 11:16:23 »
Can the infinity ergodox uses SKCM alps switches? cause I see that they support the matias one

Of course! The pin spacing is the same. :D

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #14569 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 11:53:32 »

Maybe try SKCM Blues. If you don't like them there isn't much you can do.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14570 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 12:50:10 »
Actually, clicky Acer switches may work in a way.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14571 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 13:14:09 »
Actually, clicky Acer switches may work in a way.

And white SMKs are also very nice, with their MX-mount caps which would be considered a big bonus to many people.
Unfortunately, I have never seen one without a bigass Enter.

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jd29

« Reply #14572 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:59:15 »
Blue SMK "Montereys" are an alternative, as they're almost indistinguishable from the white Cherry mounts. I'm using one now, with an ISO enter. Not that there's anything wrong with big ass - the BAE boards I owned had keys near the bottom for backslash and bar.

I've seen SMKs called "better MX blues". They're heavier and more tactile. And they sound similar enough to SKCM whites - definitely nothing like Cherries. I'd say they're worth a shot for sure, but be aware there's not much travel after the actuation/release point.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 January 2016, 16:01:29 by jd29 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14573 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 17:04:40 »
Not that there's anything wrong with big ass - the BAE boards I owned had keys near the bottom for backslash and bar.

I have a lot of trouble typing on boards with 1x Backspace and short Left Shift - apparently I always hit the left end of Backspace and the right side of Left Enter.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jd29

« Reply #14574 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 18:19:14 »
Not that there's anything wrong with big ass - the BAE boards I owned had keys near the bottom for backslash and bar.

I have a lot of trouble typing on boards with 1x Backspace and short Left Shift - apparently I always hit the left end of Backspace and the right side of Left Enter.

I agree, but they're not all bad (this was an SMK Cherry mount board). I also had an FK-2001, where the right shift is shortened.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14575 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 19:08:03 »

I agree, but they're not all bad (this was an SMK Cherry mount board).

I have a Laser keyboard much like that (with a non-glossy beige cable) but the switches are totally different. Mine have white stems and a cylindrical tube around the "+" that the cap mounts to. Also, the entire stem assembly is white. I really can't see much detail but I know that it is not the same.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jd29

« Reply #14576 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 19:47:44 »

I agree, but they're not all bad (this was an SMK Cherry mount board).

I have a Laser keyboard much like that (with a non-glossy beige cable) but the switches are totally different. Mine have white stems and a cylindrical tube around the "+" that the cap mounts to. Also, the entire stem assembly is white. I really can't see much detail but I know that it is not the same.

Like this?

Sorry to mislead - my PCB was broken in transit, that's the black mess you saw at the top there.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14577 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 20:25:20 »

I agree, but they're not all bad (this was an SMK Cherry mount board). I also had an FK-2001, where the right shift is shortened.
The FK-2001 I have has a BAE and a normal sized shift key, they make use of the gaps where the Windows key would normally go.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14578 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 20:41:07 »
Like this?

Yes, that is what mine has. Very nice little keyboard, I always wonder why it receives so little notice and respect.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Quackles

« Reply #14579 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 21:28:28 »
I want to take a Realforce to work. However since I'll be using it a lot at work I don't really want it to get dirty, Whether it's from sweaty hands etc.

I will try and wash my hands frequently to avoid this. But is hand sanitizer good too? I've read before that it can actually damage the keycaps quicker.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14580 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 21:37:08 »
I want to take a Realforce to work. However since I'll be using it a lot at work I don't really want it to get dirty, Whether it's from sweaty hands etc.

I will try and wash my hands frequently to avoid this. But is hand sanitizer good too? I've read before that it can actually damage the keycaps quicker.

My go to is wipes. For hands and keyboards at work.

Offline Quackles

« Reply #14581 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 21:43:56 »

My go to is wipes. For hands and keyboards at work.

Ok thanks. Are these alcohol based wipes?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14582 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 21:59:19 »

Um, I just get hand wipes but baby wipes are fine too. I don't really like alcohol wipes since they don't seem to clean as well.

Offline Quackles

« Reply #14583 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 22:01:28 »

Um, I just get hand wipes but baby wipes are fine too. I don't really like alcohol wipes since they don't seem to clean as well.

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14584 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 22:19:18 »

The four silver circles shown (there are many more not pictured) on the plate seem to be rivets to me with no way of separating the PCB and plate.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14585 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 02:26:01 »
are g80-1814 use a vintage clear switches or just modern clear switches? btw its the winkeyless version of g80-1800  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14586 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 06:44:18 »
Show Image

The four silver circles shown (there are many more not pictured) on the plate seem to be rivets to me with no way of separating the PCB and plate.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

That's a nice cost cutting measure. I've never seen that but I have seen boards where the cases are ultrasonically welded shut. In order to open them, I'd have to destroy the case.

are g80-1814 use a vintage clear switches or just modern clear switches? btw its the winkeyless version of g80-1800  :thumb:

Depends on the date code I suppose. And how much usage it's seen. I'd post a picture of the label and ask someone who's really into Cherry like photekq if the know what the date is.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14587 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:47:03 »
Anyone have any idea what these switches are?

kinda feel like a magnetic reed switch
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #14588 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:39:49 »
Really basic question:

Do Matias Click switches have the same housing (or whatever you call the bottom part) as Matias Quiet clicks? I'm asking because I have a board with Matias Click switches that I want to convert to Matias Quiet Click and I was wondering if I could do it without even desoldering.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14589 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:40:39 »
Really basic question:

Do Matias Click switches have the same housing (or whatever you call the bottom part) as Matias Quiet clicks? I'm asking because I have a board with Matias Click switches that I want to convert to Matias Quiet Click and I was wondering if I could do it without even desoldering.

Yes, I'm like 90% sure they are.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14590 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 16:02:57 »
It's the same thing ^

only difference is the rubber band things and possibly some factory lube.
I love Elzy

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14591 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:29:18 »

Show Image

No idea but those caps are sweet.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14592 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:34:54 »

Show Image

Oh yeah they are

tha thickness
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14593 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:42:41 »

Show Image

Oh yeah they are

Show Image

tha thickness

Oh yeah, I like my caps thick

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14594 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 19:56:18 »

Show Image

Probably reed or hall effect.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline TehKitteh

« Reply #14595 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 21:39:27 »
Does anyone know where to find novelties for a variety of rows? All the ones I find are for row 4, but my row 4 is taken up with a nyan cat set :'(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14596 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 21:41:16 »
Does anyone know where to find novelties for a variety of rows? All the ones I find are for row 4, but my row 4 is taken up with a nyan cat set :'(

They don't really exist. There's some bottom row novelties but in general, things like Row 2 and 3 are rare.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14597 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 23:00:16 »
Does anybody know the types of switches IBM uses in their POS keyboards?

The POS keyboard we use at work is some type of rubber dome with slider I think, it's really nice to type on. The tactility is actually quite strong and the bottoming out is surprisingly solid. They are also very worn in so they obviously have aged well.

I won't pop out the cap, but some of the keys are translucent and it's a black cylindrical slider.

This isn't the same one exactly, but it looks very similar to this one, except it's black.

http://www.techpartswarehouse.com/media/images/IB-65Y4051_wm.jpg

Keycaps are also still pretty rough feeling, despite daily heavy use.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #14598 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 23:13:06 »
Just to verify before i screw these holes.

Since the housing cant be swapped on a HHKB I have to screw small holes to fit the modifier keys from a novatouch. correct?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14599 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 04:38:33 »

Depends on the date code I suppose. And how much usage it's seen. I'd post a picture of the label and ask someone who's really into Cherry like photekq if the know what the date is.
Any update bro?  :thumb: