Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554170 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15100 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 17:06:42 »
Thanks Captain. Its from swill's plate builder. The off-position of the 6u stem just doesn't make any sense for me? Especially as i design a plate with compatibility for both 6u and 7u spacebars. I have to change my PCB design as well for it, just for the idiocy of the off-center stem!?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15101 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 19:49:52 »
Thanks Captain. Its from swill's plate builder. The off-position of the 6u stem just doesn't make any sense for me? Especially as i design a plate with compatibility for both 6u and 7u spacebars. I have to change my PCB design as well for it, just for the idiocy of the off-center stem!?

Yes, you will need a footprint for each separate spacebar. The good news is that you'll only need one diode, as only one of the two positions will be used at a time (unless you're playing with many bottom row layouts, in which case it may not work out quite as nicely.

E: Actually, here's something you may want to check. If you place the switch for the 6u and 7u spacebar in the same place, does it align the left edge of each spacebar? It looks to me like it might.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 May 2016, 19:53:55 by user 18 »
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Eszett

« Reply #15102 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:03:58 »
Hi user18. Thanks for info. I changed my plans and decided to design now for 7u + 6.25u instead of 7u + 6u, since most/usual 6.25u spacebars have the centered mount stem, so that it's possible to have the switch in the same place!  :thumb:

If you place the switch for the 6u and 7u spacebar in the same place, does it align the left edge of each spacebar? It looks to me like it might.
May be... its just that I'm designing for a symmetrical bottom row layout, so I really need it to be symmetrical ...
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:08:50 by Eszett »

Offline Eszett

« Reply #15103 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 10:25:55 »
I have another question.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #15104 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 11:38:13 »
I know that the type you need depends on the LEDs you are using, but can someone give a link to some through hole resistors I can order from here in the US.
Never bought any before, and not really sure what to get.

I'll probably be using either these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121730673838

or these LEDs

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=WP710A10LZGCKvirtualkey60400000virtualkey604-WP710A10LZGCK
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15105 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 11:49:08 »
I have another question.

That's to get the wire for a cherry spacebar stabilizer underneath the plate.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #15106 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:13:04 »
That's to get the wire for a cherry spacebar stabilizer underneath the plate.
Ah, so with Cherry stabs the wire its below the plate, and with Costar its above the plate? Didn't know that, Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15107 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:24:54 »
I know that the type you need depends on the LEDs you are using, but can someone give a link to some through hole resistors I can order from here in the US.

or these LEDs

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=WP710A10LZGCKvirtualkey60400000virtualkey604-WP710A10LZGCK

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg1765511#msg1765511

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #15108 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:33:28 »

or these LEDs

Thanks, but that link is for smd resistors.
I'm about to put together a GH rev. C and I need some through hole resistors for the CapsLock.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15109 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:38:21 »

or these LEDs

I'm about to put together a GH rev. C and I need some through hole resistors for the CapsLock.

If you dig around in that link, you'll find this post from photoelectric with resistor values. Use those to hunt down some through hole resistors on Mouser or your preferred retailer. I've never bought any myself so I don't have any first hand experience and links to give you.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #15110 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:44:37 »

or these LEDs

If you dig around in that link, you'll find this post from photoelectric with resistor values. Use those to hunt down some through hole resistors on Mouser or your preferred retailer. I've never bought any myself so I don't have any first hand experience and links to give you.
OK. Thanks
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline What

« Reply #15111 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 14:23:41 »
1. Is there a reason why none of membrane keyboards are re-programmable? It there some hardware limitations?
2. Is it possible to build membrane keyboard with some micro controller and use tmk firmware for example and have all benefits of this firmware ?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15112 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 14:26:06 »
1. Is there a reason why none of membrane keyboards are re-programmable? It there some hardware limitations?
2. Is it possible to build membrane keyboard with some micro controller and use tmk firmware for example and have all benefits of this firmware ?

1) Price I'm sure. And it's not a feature most people care about.
2) I'm pretty sure that Sifo said he converted his membrane DT-35 with Hasu's USB to USB converter.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15113 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 17:09:47 »

1) Price I'm sure. And it's not a feature most people care about.
2) I'm pretty sure that Sifo said he converted his membrane DT-35 with Hasu's USB to USB converter.

ya but it's an external dongle kinda thing, maybe you could shorten the USB or hack it together and solder it directly to the PCB. amazing device from hasu
I love Elzy

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15114 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 13:27:26 »
What's the cheapest/easiest way to get some normal Cherry stabs (60% kits) in Northern europe? And not 7bit, his ordering system is horrible and his shipping times are out of this world.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #15115 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 11:45:09 »
Anyone have any familiarity with these taobao cases that could give me the lowdown? Haven't seen them around.

https://world.taobao.com/item/37128843006.htm

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15116 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 13:35:34 »
Weird design. Looks like a really thin case with a huge weight on it...

Offline rondg

« Reply #15117 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 07:35:36 »
Are there TKL PCBs that have in-switch leds besides GON's and winkeyless? I am planning to build a keyboard using the TEX TKL cases...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15118 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 15:21:10 »
Are there TKL PCBs that have in-switch leds besides GON's and winkeyless? I am planning to build a keyboard using the TEX TKL cases...

I haven't really kept up but the Phantom PCBs from MK might have them. Worth a look at the very least.

Offline Imomo

« Reply #15119 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 19:42:57 »
god I'm embarrassed.

I'm cleaning up an old NEC APC-H25 and I threw all the keys in a warm soapy bath, they were really gunky, I threw in some goo gone. Except it wasn't goo gone, it was Goof Off, I grabbed the wrong bottle and even though there wasn't a ton (thank god) it still did its damage.

I was able to unstick the melting keys before they adhered to each other but the finish has been completely stripped from these vintage keys and not only that, the black and grey keys have been discolored. After they dried they've turned a faded grey.

I think they can be restored but what should I use to get that black luster back to the dark keys? And what should I finish them with?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15120 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 19:49:52 »

but the finish has been completely stripped from these vintage keys and not only that, the black and grey keys have been discolored. After they dried they've turned a faded grey.

I think they can be restored but what should I use to get that black luster back to the dark keys? And what should I finish them with?

If you can figure out how to restore them you should post it. I think that someone on DT attempted sand blasting to restore texture, but I don't recall whether it worked.

Personally, I never use anything but powdered laundry detergent and perhaps a little Oxi-clean in a hot water soak for a few minutes, and then rinse thoroughly several times using a kitchen colander. With literally thousands of keys I can count on my fingers the ones that did not come out squeaky clean after a very few minutes.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Imomo

« Reply #15121 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 20:10:57 »

but the finish has been completely stripped from these vintage keys and not only that, the black and grey keys have been discolored. After they dried they've turned a faded grey.

If you can figure out how to restore them you should post it. I think that someone on DT attempted sand blasting to restore texture, but I don't recall whether it worked.

I'm reading through some car forums that suggest steel wool and a heat gun. I scraped a little off the side of one of the keys and sure enough it looks like that could definitely do the trick... not so sure about the heat gun, I'd be happy enough to get it back to black and then finish it with some polymer.

Offline rondg

« Reply #15122 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 20:22:16 »
I think Phantom PCBs does not have in-switch leds? Is there a new version?

I haven't really kept up but the Phantom PCBs from MK might have them. Worth a look at the very least.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15123 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 21:02:21 »
I think Phantom PCBs does not have in-switch leds? Is there a new version?

I thought maybe MK added the LEDs but I guess not.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15124 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 09:18:49 »
I had a client come in during tax season and he remarked that he really liked my keyboard at work, a V2 with greens.  He contacted me a week or so ago and asked for some more information, so I sent him a few websites like EK.com, WASD.com, and MK.com to browse but I think it might have been too much information, because he sent me this back in an email:

"I have viewed a ton of gaming keyboards, but what I am really looking for is comfort, data entry, and quicker navigation through Excel."

Anyone know of any keyboards that fit the above criteria, while not being too expensive (under $150 preferred but definitely under $200) and that would be mech-noob friendly?  I did mention things like TKL and 60% but I didn't get a good or bad response from him in that regard.

Thanks for any help :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15125 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 09:23:49 »
I had a client come in during tax season and he remarked that he really liked my keyboard at work, a V2 with greens.  He contacted me a week or so ago and asked for some more information, so I sent him a few websites like EK.com, WASD.com, and MK.com to browse but I think it might have been too much information, because he sent me this back in an email:

"I have viewed a ton of gaming keyboards, but what I am really looking for is comfort, data entry, and quicker navigation through Excel."

Anyone know of any keyboards that fit the above criteria, while not being too expensive (under $150 preferred but definitely under $200) and that would be mech-noob friendly?  I did mention things like TKL and 60% but I didn't get a good or bad response from him in that regard.

Filco, Ducky, Leopold, the WASD V2 should all fit the bill. I'd suggest a simpler Ducky. I don't think there's a special keyboard that will make your Excel work easier just like I don't think there's a keyboard that makes you shoot better in CounterStrike.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15126 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 09:39:47 »

Filco, Ducky, Leopold, the WASD V2 should all fit the bill. I'd suggest a simpler Ducky. I don't think there's a special keyboard that will make your Excel work easier just like I don't think there's a keyboard that makes you shoot better in CounterStrike.

Thanks for the response CPT, I found a couple Duckys that he will probably like so I'll shoot those over to him.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline tintoret

« Reply #15127 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 10:15:34 »

Beyond what has already been mentioned: for data entry or excel, I'd imagine a tenkey would be a must.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #15128 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 12:42:05 »
Are there any aluminum cases compatible with the Leopold 750r?
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15129 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 17:46:09 »

Beyond what has already been mentioned: for data entry or excel, I'd imagine a tenkey would be a must.

+1  I always pull out a board with tenkey when I use Excel at home.  My go-to is anything 1800 layout, since it's still relatively compact but fully featured.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #15130 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 18:20:02 »
what is the name and the maker of the cat paw keycaps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15131 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 20:14:20 »
Keykollectiv?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15132 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 20:52:58 »
Keykollectiv?

Yep. Meowcaps, if I'm not mistaken. Ask ccarlitos, resident "cat paw" hoarder.  :))

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #15133 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 21:30:36 »
Keykollectiv?

Yep. Meowcaps, if I'm not mistaken. Ask ccarlitos, resident "cat paw" hoarder.  :))

thanks! thats the one I am looking for  ^-^

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #15134 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 10:47:17 »
pls gief bbv2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15135 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 10:53:11 »
Is there a PCB around for a layout like this?
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/f2e7835a5309d34586bc085c4e3fb72b

There was a GB for that layout recently but I can't remember the name....Ugh.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15136 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 10:56:45 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:14:11 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15137 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 10:57:42 »

it was the alps monarch where the numpad was on the left.

Nah...could've sworn I saw one in MX in this exact layout.

Edit: Found it. Sentraq 78: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81693.0

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15138 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 11:02:42 »

it was the alps monarch where the numpad was on the left.

Nah...could've sworn I saw one in MX in this exact layout.

Edit: Found it. Sentraq 78: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81693.0

Yep, and it's still open too.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #15139 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 00:45:37 »
Holy ****, that's cool. Thanks guys!
pls gief bbv2

Offline Stabilized

« Reply #15140 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:38:16 »
Does anyone know what on-board SMD LEDs I should use for a Gon NerD PCB? I am talking specifically about the ones that go on the top, not the side LEDs for the bottom.

Thanks!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #15141 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:02:44 »
Which 75% should I go for?
Things I care about: 67g Zealios, standardish layout for caps, feels, price
Things I don't care about: looks (ok maybe a little), backlighting
Things I don't know enough about: how case/plate materials affect dem feels.

so like is a octagon, or b.mini, or that xondat skeleton thing really any better than a keycool?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15142 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 11:30:09 »

so like is a octagon, or b.mini, or that xondat skeleton thing really any better than a keycool?

Personal preference? I really like the 75% metalliqaz made which is what I think xondat was inspired by. I also really liked the octagon but I didn't really like the angle.

If you're worried about price and want zealios, I'd probably just get a keycool.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #15143 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 13:06:23 »

Personal preference? I really like the 75% metalliqaz made which is what I think xondat was inspired by. I also really liked the octagon but I didn't really like the angle.

If you're worried about price and want zealios, I'd probably just get a keycool.

Oh, cool. I had never really paid too much attention to the Zeta (a little too shiny and look-at-me-y), so hadn't even noticed it was a 75.

What I really want is something more like a cross between a FC660 and a 75% I'd probably have to do that in acrylic and hand-wire it, right?

Offline Saiph

« Reply #15144 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 13:25:42 »
Is there anything I should be aware of when ordering through a taobao agent?

Offline joey

« Reply #15145 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 04:37:53 »
Anyone got a link to the exact female connector used by the Filco boards?

aka the female connector here http://i.imgur.com/XnGfd74.jpg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15146 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 04:59:40 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45169.msg942535#msg942535
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline joey

« Reply #15147 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 05:07:30 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45169.msg942535#msg942535
Thanks, exactly what I needed!

Offline vegs

« Reply #15148 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 06:04:22 »
What IBM board is this?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 May 2016, 06:06:31 by Veggis »
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15149 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 07:49:39 »
What IBM board is this?

Looks like a Nordic or Scandinavian layout Model M