Author Topic: KeyCon 2013  (Read 87892 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: KeyCon 2013
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:07:32 »
Uhm... I'll pay for my pizza. A large for just me please. I'm sure everyone knows here I kill pizza

Been to pizza jail too many times
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #401 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:22:41 »
Idk who's what age or anything but is the after party all ages or 21+?

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #402 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:27:20 »
Idk who's what age or anything but is the after party all ages or 21+?
Please refernce the post about "ban kids from restaurants" .....

Just kidding. I have no clue.

I too will gladly chip in for pizza. How about drinks? Is there a convenience store close?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #403 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:30:42 »
It's a Gastropub, so although it may not be suitable for children, I don't think you have to be 18 to enter. Yelp Reviews.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:35:51 »
Uhm... I'll pay for my pizza. A large for just me please. I'm sure everyone knows here I kill pizza

Been to pizza jail too many times
Idk...I have a feeling a large Chicago style deep dish might be a lot more than you realize.  Hope everyone has fun, I look forward to hearing CPT's opinion on all the boards he tries :D.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:36:38 »
Even if it's 18+ I can just use CPT's ID. We're all Sifo afterall
I love Elzy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #406 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:38:57 »
I HAVE A CHANGE TO MAKE SIRS

[8/13/13 4:34:20 PM] ming: binge should give a sculpting demo at keycon
[8/13/13 4:34:31 PM] ming: and then he should sculpt sifo @ keycon @ keycon
[8/13/13 4:34:39 PM] ming: the sculpture will be named sifo @ keycon
[8/13/13 4:34:43 PM] ming: @ keycon

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #407 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 20:03:00 »
I tried but could not make things work out so that I could make the drive out to attend keycon :(

Who is from IL that is attending and not leaving for it until Saturday morning so that I could priority mail out a bunch of the F&F/M3/SmallFry caps for people in attendance?
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #408 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 20:12:59 »
I tried but could not make things work out so that I could make the drive out to attend keycon :(

Who is from IL that is attending and not leaving for it until Saturday morning so that I could priority mail out a bunch of the F&F/M3/SmallFry caps for people in attendance?

Couldn't you send them to boiler?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #409 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:10:23 »
I filled out the form. It might be a good idea to add it to the OP so more people who are attending can see it easily.

Offline dante

« Reply #410 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:26:45 »
dante confirmed.

looking forward to testing sifo's dt35!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #411 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:27:31 »
oh ****... I'm bringing my DT35? okay
I love Elzy

Offline dante

« Reply #412 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:30:55 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #413 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:31:21 »
OH right! okay :D
I love Elzy

Offline dante

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:35:46 »
OH right! okay :D

Up to you really.  Basically everyone claims it is a generic rubber dome feeling board; only those who actually type on it actually seem to really enjoy it.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #415 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:37:44 »
I HAVE A CHANGE TO MAKE SIRS

[8/13/13 4:34:20 PM] ming: binge should give a sculpting demo at keycon
[8/13/13 4:34:31 PM] ming: and then he should sculpt sifo @ keycon @ keycon
[8/13/13 4:34:39 PM] ming: the sculpture will be named sifo @ keycon
[8/13/13 4:34:43 PM] ming: @ keycon

I would be more than willing to speak about my experience casting and sculpting provided a whiteboard is available?

Aside from doing a live demonstration and explaining techniques having the ability to present ideas with a whiteboard and some markers could really give people some idea of the work that goes into making some homebrew caps.  It would be good for other people too during show & tell :p  Maybe a game of pictionary then? xD
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #416 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:39:17 »
Ok, form filled, plane ticket bought.  Chicago better be ready.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #417 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:44:14 »
So ok, I don't have anything prepared and but I will have a 3D printed ABS and titanium piece. I can show those off and do a Q&A session about anything more on the mechanical side: materials, machining, 3D printing, etc. For those who don't know, I've been learning how to operate my FDM 3D printer at work. And I need to deal with materials and machining/processing methods daily so I can talk shop off the top of my head.

If you guys wanna prepare some questions and do a Q&A that could work. Or I could just be available all day to talk about whatever. I'm not sure what the interest is but it seems like there's a bit of it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #418 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:53:30 »
Ok, form filled, plane ticket bought.  Chicago better be ready.
YYYEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssss......... (tiny ses)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #419 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:55:14 »
okay DT-35 is ready
I love Elzy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #420 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:59:40 »
IT IS OFFICIALY, BINGE IS GOING TO SCULPT SIFO TRYING TO CONVINCE DANTE THAT THE DT-35 IS NOT A PIECE OF CRAP

the sculpture is going to be called "whalebro fail" @ keycon

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:00:09 »
IT IS OFFICIALY, BINGE IS GOING TO SCULPT SIFO TRYING TO CONVINCE DANTE THAT THE DT-35 IS NOT A PIECE OF CRAP

Whalebro is not coming. Too dangerous
I love Elzy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #422 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:00:28 »

yes, please send them to boiler. i have another address you can send them to that is where i will be staying as well. email me if you want it. boiler is probably the safest bet though.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:00:58 »

Whalebro is not coming. Too dangerous
i would kill you if you tried to take whalebro. KILL YOU

edit: GIRLSHARK WILL BE THERE

IT WON'T BE SAFE

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:06:28 »
Anyone gonna be out on the town in Chicago Friday night? I think the wife and I are heading to Navy Pier around 9:00PM for the fireworks and a few adult beverages.

John

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #425 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:11:23 »
Updated OP with some raffle prizes!  If any other vendors see this and want to donate prizes, PM me!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:16:22 »
Mashby and I probably won't be in until around 2330 Friday or 0000 Saturday.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #427 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:45:31 »
I would be more than willing to speak about my experience casting and sculpting provided a whiteboard is available?

Aside from doing a live demonstration and explaining techniques having the ability to present ideas with a whiteboard and some markers could really give people some idea of the work that goes into making some homebrew caps.  It would be good for other people too during show & tell :p  Maybe a game of pictionary then? xD

So ok, I don't have anything prepared and but I will have a 3D printed ABS and titanium piece. I can show those off and do a Q&A session about anything more on the mechanical side: materials, machining, 3D printing, etc. For those who don't know, I've been learning how to operate my FDM 3D printer at work. And I need to deal with materials and machining/processing methods daily so I can talk shop off the top of my head.

If you guys wanna prepare some questions and do a Q&A that could work. Or I could just be available all day to talk about whatever. I'm not sure what the interest is but it seems like there's a bit of it.

It's unclear what the A/V situation. All we know is the room has "a decent AV setup". It's unclear if that means a whiteboard or not, but given that it's a university, it is a possibility.

I'm hoping they'll have an LCD Projector, so I will have my laptop and connections. If you want to bring your own laptop, or just bring a thumb drive of photos and/or slides, you're more than welcome to use my laptop.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:47:29 »
White board is more than fine in my opinion. I prefer to do presentations with no PowerPoint if I can. Detracts from me talking. People nitpick pictures instead of talking to me or paying attention to what I'm saying. And I get distracted easily. :P

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:50:28 »
My iPad has a mobile hotspot, so if there are any internet issues, we can connect to it.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #430 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:52:55 »
My iPad has a mobile hotspot, so if there are any internet issues, we can connect to it.

Do we know if their is public wifi there? I ask because there was some talk of video streaming and I don't think you'd want your iPad used for that. :-)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #431 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:55:49 »

Do we know if their is public wifi there? I ask because there was some talk of video streaming and I don't think you'd want your iPad used for that. :-)

In my experience, many universities have "guest" wifi networks with throttled bandwidth.  Hopefully we can use that and hopefully it'll be sufficient for streaming.  If not, we don't need to bombard i3oiler's iPad connection and use all his bandwidth.  I guess we'll have to think on our feet once we arrive in order to get it worked out.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #432 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:56:33 »
I have 5GB of data so I'm fine with some heavy usage, but I would assume there will be some WiFi there that we can use.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:58:10 »

In my experience, many universities have "guest" wifi networks with throttled bandwidth.  Hopefully we can use that and hopefully it'll be sufficient for streaming.  If not, we don't need to bombard i3oiler's iPad connection and use all his bandwidth.  I guess we'll have to think on our feet once we arrive in order to get it worked out.

Or instead of streaming, maybe just record video and upload it later?

I  might be making some prizes today, but I'm not quite sure
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #434 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:00:20 »

Hacked in realtime! Seriously, though, I hope this gets streamed, that would be pretty cool. Someone bring rotting vegetables for Ming's presentation.  :D
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #435 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:12:20 »
It's going to be a "best effort" scenario since we don't have any information ahead of time. There are just too many unknowns at this point. Proxy settings, port blocking, bandwidth restrictions, etc.

Livestream consumes approximately 700Kbps of upload bandwidth. Mobile devices tend to be very bursty with their bandwidth, so even if you have 1MB of upstream bandwidth, it's not consistent. Additionally, if the entire conference is streamed, you're looking at 1.5GB of bandwidth being consumed.

I'm going to have a small setup with me and if we can get it to work then that'll be awesome, but I don't want to raise anyone expectations too high.  :)

Who Else Is Bringing Video Gear?
Anyone else brining equipment? Anyone want to volunteer to record it for posting later?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #436 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:17:42 »
UIC shoudl have a guest wifi network. boiler, can you ask chris?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #437 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:19:47 »
Who Else Is Bringing Video Gear?
Anyone else brining equipment? Anyone want to volunteer to record it for posting later?

I'm bringing my laptop and Binge is bringing an external webcam and external mic.  I see that you are also bringing your laptop, Mashby.  Maybe we could get two streams going??  :)  We can hope!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:34:58 »
I'm bringing my laptop and Binge is bringing an external webcam and external mic.  I see that you are also bringing your laptop, Mashby.  Maybe we could get two streams going??  :)  We can hope!

We can try. 1.5MB up may be asking too much, but we can see. Sounds like we'll have options, which is good, so if one setup doesn't work, then we can try the other. Or, run both!

I'm brining an iPhone 4 setup that'll stream directly to Livestream and I have an iSight Firewire cam I'm brining as well as a backup if we use the laptop. No external mic though, so your setup my be better overall.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #439 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:38:44 »
I can do a Verizon hotspot as well.  Data usage is not a concern.
Russ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #440 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:40:00 »
Yeah 1.5MB up would be a bit much.  Hopefully we can experiment and find a good solution to let all the kind folks who aren't able to attend see what's going on.  :)  Might be fun to stream the introductions too?   :eek:  But then everyone will know our true identities.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #441 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:40:14 »
I think it'd be cool to post a video of everyone swag when we're there. If no one has a nice video camera to do it, I'll do it in true YouTube fashion and use my cell phone :P

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #442 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:43:21 »
Guest WiFi info added to OP.

80" TV and Projector will be available in room.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #443 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:45:51 »
Guest WiFi info added to OP.

80" TV and Projector will be available in room.

Perfect, thank you i3oilermaker.

Also, I forgot to mention that I'll be bringing my AppleTV as well. So if you have an iOS or Mac device, you'll be able to use AirPlay.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #444 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:47:48 »
I think it'd be cool to post a video of everyone swag when we're there. If no one has a nice video camera to do it, I'll do it in true YouTube fashion and use my cell phone :P

I'll be bringing my camera that can record high-def video.   :thumb:  And maybe others will be too.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #445 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:55:59 »
The setup hoff and I will are going to rig up will be able to record video for upload later :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #446 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:57:09 »
I will be unveiling "Project Praiano"

If I missed anyone that wants to present something let me know and I will add it to the itinerary in the OP

Also, if the timing works, and someone wants to Skype in a presentation that could work too!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #447 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:57:52 »
The setup hoff and I will are going to rig up will be able to record video for upload later :)

How much space might a full KeyCon take up on harddrive?  I will bring an external just in case, but an estimate would be nice too.  :D

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #448 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:58:46 »

How much space might a full KeyCon take up on harddrive?  I will bring an external just in case, but an estimate would be nice too.  :D

I would suggest only recording presentations...I'm not sure how everyone will feel about being recorded for the entire event.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #449 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 11:03:35 »

I would suggest only recording presentations...I'm not sure how everyone will feel about being recorded for the entire event.

Good call.  Maybe stream the presentations and a walk-through showing everyone's gear?