Author Topic: Clack Night Owl on EK  (Read 24735 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Clack Night Owl on EK
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 11:22:11 »
John has bad eyes. Send them to me.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 11:49:08 »
John has bad eyes. Send them to me.
Can't trust a moose.  Send em to me.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:40:20 »
Can't trust anyone but me.

Oh wait...
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline Dansor

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:34:44 »
Sweet, thanks for pointing this out.
An opportunity to get my first clack and start another expensive OCD-driven collection!   :thumb:

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:50:45 »

^^ and ^^^ ... my point exactly.  :)

Get John every clack, problem solved!

Hmm, well I'm pretty sure John already has every color skull ever made.  I was lucky enough to get an in-depth look at his entire collection with my own eyes at KeyCon 2013.  It's incredible is all I can say.  I even halfway had an idea to get a ski-mask and mug him in the parking lot when he was loading up his car, just to get his greens, blues and 420's.  :))  But then I wouldn't be able to post any pics, so that stopped me.  ;D

But seriously, the only colors that John doesn't have I think exist only in one-of-a-kind Clacks (or single digit production runs) that are either still in CC's private stash, or that were given away to his personal RL friends in the very early days of 2009-2010, or that were sold/given away to early collectors like kisakuku. 

Also, people might think I was joking about John's collection, but it's real.  The only problem was John's understated midwesterness in the manner in which his Clacks were displaed.  If he was from New York, he would have displayed then not in a candy bowl, but in an antique red velvet, laquered jewelry box, like this (with a LOCK):

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:53:55 »
But eth0s, I liked the chip dip bowl filled with clacks!

Offline dmbr

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:57:12 »
What exactly makes these so extremely desirable over other "lesser" key caps?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:04:26 »

But eth0s, I liked the chip dip bowl filled with clacks!

Could have used some salsa n chips ;)

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:34:09 »

Aside from the fact that not many are made, nothing. Things are valuable because people say they are. No other reason.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:40:29 »

Aside from the fact that not many are made, nothing. Things are valuable because people say they are. No other reason.

And that they're some of the most well made caps there are.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:51:13 »

Sorry, but you can only make plastic so well before a $200 price means more than just build quality.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:52:27 »

Sorry, but you can only make plastic so well before a $200 price means more than just build quality.

You know doubleshot red esc caps used to go for $250 :D

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:52:54 »

That purple I have. You and eth0s couldn't id it...

So it's since been renamed to "Kirkle Purple" :D

The purples are actually the hardest Clacks to identify.  I have 5 purple Clacks, and they are all different shades of purple.  I'm pretty sure I know what 3 of them are, but the other 2, I can't identify.  I have even consulted two other Clack "experts", and they can't identify them either.  So here is my opinion, for what it's worth:  I think that since the purples were some of the earliest Clacks produced, that there was greater color variability among production batches of those early Clacks.  I think some of the different shades of purple are actually all supposed to be P1 purples.  Later CC perfected his technique, so that all of the Hack Oranges are exactly the same.  But in the early days there was more variability, especially among purples.  The other possibility is that CC just made a lot of different purples.  Either way, it's hard to identify purple Clacks. 

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:58:58 »

Its about the novelty.  Owning a clack here, especially a rare one, is a status symbol.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 15:07:07 »
that is a nice looking key. different color eyes could be even better though in my opinion
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 15:13:50 »

QFT
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 15:14:31 »

that is a nice looking key. different color eyes could be even better though in my opinion

You need one for an 1800 I'm sure

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 15:38:39 »

That purple I have. You and eth0s couldn't id it...

So it's since been renamed to "Kirkle Purple" :D

The purples are actually the hardest Clacks to identify.  I have 5 purple Clacks, and they are all different shades of purple.  I'm pretty sure I know what 3 of them are, but the other 2, I can't identify.  I have even consulted two other Clack "experts", and they can't identify them either.  So here is my opinion, for what it's worth:  I think that since the purples were some of the earliest Clacks produced, that there was greater color variability among production batches of those early Clacks.  I think some of the different shades of purple are actually all supposed to be P1 purples.  Later CC perfected his technique, so that all of the Hack Oranges are exactly the same.  But in the early days there was more variability, especially among purples.  The other possibility is that CC just made a lot of different purples.  Either way, it's hard to identify purple Clacks. 

I hear you, I have two P1 purples and they aren't very close in color. But the "Kirkle purple" is totally different from P1
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 17:23:54 »
And throw the F2s into the mix and you've got all sorts of variations.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 17:39:58 »
You guys aren't helping my thoughts of trying to own a Milk Purple

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 17:49:55 »
You guys aren't helping my thoughts of trying to own a Milk Purple

Dream on ;)

Offline therecorder

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:04:14 »
Can someone enlighten me?  Does ClackFactory have a special relationship with Topre (permission to produce Topre keycaps)?  If so, why aren't there others producing Topre keycaps.  For example, even getting a production set of colored Topre keycaps outside of Japan Korea is extremely difficult because resellers are constantly out of stock (e.g. Elite and Taobao).  If Topre can't produce enough keycaps for the international market, why haven't they found someone to produce more?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:07:51 by therecorder »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:13:11 »
Can someone enlighten me?  Does ClackFactory have a special relationship with Topre (permission to produce Topre keycaps)?  If so, why aren't there others producing Topre keycaps.  For example, even getting a production set of colored Topre keycaps outside of Japan Korea is extremely difficult because resellers are constantly out of stock (e.g. Elite and Taobao).  If Topre can't produce enough keycaps for the international market, why haven't they found someone to produce more?

Licencing?

Lack of demand?

A more expensive keyboard with less options will have less marketplace presence.

It is not in their interest to cater for such a small market.

And very few others would want to pay the fairly significant cost of setting up machines necessary to do large-scale production of Topre keycaps.

We are lucky that CC does :)

Offline therecorder

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:26:02 »

Licencing?

Lack of demand?

A more expensive keyboard with less options will have less marketplace presence.

And very few others would want to pay the fairly significant cost of setting up machines necessary to do large-scale production of Topre keycaps.

I understand these factors, but I'm still at a loss as to why, if I live in Japan or Korea, I can get any color ascii Topre keycap set that I want, at any time that I want it, but elsewhere this is a challenge.  And I would wager that Topre sells close to as many total ascii boards outside those two countries as inside.  And, ascii supply is so bad that places that sell through Amazon are offering Topre Japanese keycap sets to markets that don't even sell the Japanese Topre keyboards.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:29:19 »
Does Elite's agreement with Topre prevent resellers in Japan from selling ascii Topre keycap sets outside of Japan?

Perhaps this is more a Korean/Leopold thing/agreement than a Japanese one:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&ie=UTF-8&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.leopold.co.kr%2F%3Fdoc%3Dcart%2Flist.php%26ca_id%3D20
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 00:41:48 by therecorder »

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:12:30 »
So...

How did we all do?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:39:23 »
no mail for me
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline tmk1207

• Yêu Màu Tím
    • Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club <3
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:42:51 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:51:00 »
don't forget when you guys need a shoulder to cry on go here

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45955.0

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:52:47 »
don't forget when you guys need a shoulder to cry on go here

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45955.0

Already been there often enough. I kinda accepted that it won't be so easy to win my first clac. I'll be patient and not raise my hopes too much!  ;)
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Online Sniping

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:55:09 »
Ahhhhh the suspense is too much. Hopefully they'll have things sorted out by the time I get home today.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:57:54 »
I got an email! WOooOOoOoOO00000OOo0O0o0o0ooo....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:00:08 »

I got an email too!

From Newegg...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:01:46 »
Troll moose

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:02:26 »
I got an email.....

from ebay

Offline therecorder

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:17:46 »
Sounds kind of dodgy to me...

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:56:04 »

I got an email.....

from ebay

LoL. Shouldn't be too long now  :thumb:
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:08:37 »
Bah. I was really hoping for my first clack. Oh well.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:10:20 »
I don't think anyone has been emailed yet, so don't fret.

oh.. that rhymes.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:11:13 »

oh.. that rhymes.

just start another clack rap

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:19:28 »

oh.. that rhymes.

just start another clack rap
This is why I'm not a professional rapper:

I got a cool HHKB Pro
And wanted to dress it up, yo
I heard Clacks would add some spice
But I balked because of the price
EK said they'd give me a chance
So I signed up for the dance

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:05:37 »
I got a cool HHKB Pro

You deserve a night owl

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:39:22 »
I got a cool HHKB Pro

You deserve a night owl

NO!

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
If crappy rhymes get clacks,
I should get one too.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:43:34 »

Licencing?

Lack of demand?

I understand these factors, but I'm still at a loss as to why, if I live in Japan or Korea, I can get any color ascii Topre keycap set that I want, at any time that I want it, but elsewhere this is a challenge.  And I would wager that Topre sells close to as many total ascii boards outside those two countries as inside.  And, ascii supply is so bad that places that sell through Amazon are offering Topre Japanese keycap sets to markets that don't even sell the Japanese Topre keyboards.

I make topre caps.  just sayin

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:51:57 »

Licencing?

Lack of demand?

Show Image

But your caps are so scary :'(

Offline HesterDW

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:55:17 »
Show Image

Craftsmanship - 10/10
Creativity - 10/10
The nightmares this will give me - 3/10

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:56:54 »

Licencing?

Lack of demand?

Show Image

But your caps are so scary :'(

It looks really happy to me.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:58:13 »
what bout the Grizzle-key Bear?  D:  He's lovable!

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:05:03 »

Show Image

Did you ship mine yet :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 16:13:05 »

Show Image

I still want to know why it wasn't called the Grizz-key Bear.  That makes more sense to me.  The pink is interested looking, but I'm still holding out for a dinosaur Binge cap.