Which profile this set should be?

DCS (standard filco-like caps)
38 (43.7%)
DSA (low spherical)
22 (25.3%)
SA (tall spherical)
27 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: [IC] ALL NEW Midnight SA set  (Read 169760 times)

Offline Yslen

Re: [IC] Midnight set
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 17:36:33 »
I got pictures of a dark keycap with yellow PC. sorry guys, it's a no-go. The legends are not visible in daylight.

Dang. It was a beautiful dream.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #401 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 21:14:35 »
I got pictures of a dark keycap with yellow PC. sorry guys, it's a no-go. The legends are not visible in daylight.

No worries at least it got us excited about having it done for a very short while.

Still happy you're offering SA and DCS with this and it should be your last key-set designed for all fellow Geekhackers.  We shall be there to get these when they pop up at SP Group Buy section.

You may even call them Matt3o's Goodbye Midnight Set  :thumb: .  I'm sure it will be very popular as everyone jumps in to get an artist's last rendition of his work, like a Picasso, Dali, Duchamp or Chagall.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 01:41:59 »
yeah considering that we are not having the backlight version I'll run DCS and SA together.

Now, how do you want SA? I would like a proper angled layout, but we miss some mods. Is that okay with you?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #403 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 03:15:52 »
yeah considering that we are not having the backlight version I'll run DCS and SA together.

Now, how do you want SA? I would like a proper angled layout, but we miss some mods. Is that okay with you?

Careful asking me about anything since my likes and dislikes on any subject could burn this forum down regarding key-sets in general.  Although for my own personal taste, hence everyone can put their pitchforks away, is that the SA SHOULD have an angled layout due to it's original styling related to older-keyboards from the late 60s & 70s.

I know the Nuclear Key-set is due to run but as usual why not have some more gorgeous SA profiles available to anyone who still loves them  :thumb: .

Besides I'm still a sucker for plain Black/Dark Grey and Greenish Hue legend key-set, which only you Matt can pull off successfully.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 03:19:38 by Elrick »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #404 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 03:56:42 »
the problem is that SP does not have a proper 100% coherent SA profile.

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #405 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 05:30:40 »
Any other options for a backlit set apart from this gb in the future? Backlight compatibility was the feature that made this set especially interesting to me.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #406 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 07:55:05 »
yeah sooner or later a backlight compatible set will pop-up

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #407 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 22:08:14 »
yeah sooner or later a backlight compatible set will pop-up

But if you're not there driving the bus, it'll never happen Matt  ;) .  More reasons for you to stay around and make this happen.......

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #408 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 05:33:25 »
So, is there anything else we need? (apart from some additional spacebars)

can we proceed?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #409 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:10:08 »
So, is there anything else we need? (apart from some additional spacebars)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

can we proceed?

You just shown in the first pic some "Glow-In-The-Dark" keys, can that be applied across all the Legends?  That way this key-set becomes a BackLight Set without it needing to be (if you know what I mean).

Would be cool to have a whole Glow-In-The-Dark Key-set for all those midnight typers, such as myself.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:11:47 by Elrick »

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #410 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:17:45 »
can we proceed?
Please, add 2x and 1.5 blank keys for dox ...
 ;D
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #411 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:25:36 »
can we proceed?
Please, add 2x and 1.5 blank keys for dox ...
 ;D

the set is in SA and DCS not preperly ergo dox friendly. but if there's interest I might add an ergodox kit

You just shown in the first pic some "Glow-In-The-Dark" keys, can that be applied across all the Legends?  That way this key-set becomes a BackLight Set without it needing to be (if you know what I mean).

Would be cool to have a whole Glow-In-The-Dark Key-set for all those midnight typers, such as myself.

yes technically it can be done, I don't really know how they would look though. It's a bit risky...

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #412 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:32:13 »
The only other thing I would like to see is maybe some GH keys.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #413 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 07:08:19 »
yes technically it can be done, I don't really know how they would look though. It's a bit risky...

Matt if you don't take a punt on anything 'risky' how would you know if it'll turn out right?

Life is about taking risks, you do it every time when you start another Group Buy and they have always worked out for you.  Hence why stop now, just keep pushing the envelope when it comes to key-cap designs because that's what this place (Geekhack) is suppose to be  :thumb: .

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #414 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 07:51:42 »
people trust my judgement, in all honesty I can't ask people to spend $150 in a set I have absolutely no clue how it would turn out.

I'll ask SP if they have some samples.

Offline Hofy

• Voids Warranties
« Reply #415 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:00:37 »
How about GeekHack keys and WASD cluster?
Poker II Cherry MX Blue
Filco TenKeyless Zero Fukka
Cherry ML4100
IBM Model M 1391401 Buckle Spring Luvin

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #416 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 10:25:26 »

oh that's a nice idea actually! WASD in polycarbonate (transparent) with light blue legend!

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #417 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 11:46:17 »
I'm looking forward to this color set! As someone who has never had SA keys before, what's their appeal?

And also, are the midnight modifiers a slightly different shade than the alpha set?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #418 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 11:50:29 »
yes, modifiers are lighter.

SA profile is very (very) thick and retro.

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #419 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 11:58:32 »
This set is gorgeous..

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #420 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:33:28 »
Oh? The legend on,the return key isn't gold anymore? I think it was better that way
Hi :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #421 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 12:35:18 »
Oh? The legend on,the return key isn't gold anymore? I think it was better that way

I don't know yet, probably you are right... I made the arrows of yellow

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #422 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 19:22:15 »
SA profile is very (very) thick and retro.

NO wonder why I love them SA's because they're exactly like me  :thumb: .

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #423 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:12:15 »
Would SA profile destroy my MX green? Like how DSA totally killed my mx clears. (Broke a few caps (stem) just by taking them out) I might want I try SA for once.

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #424 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:13:52 »
Would SA profile destroy my MX green? Like how DSA totally killed my mx clears. (Broke a few caps (stem) just by taking them out) I might want I try SA for once.

Retro DSA, by any chance?

Those were a bit too tight, but that was by design (intended for industrial keyboards that get dropped, thus the keycaps had to be extra tight).

SP have altered their DSA molds so they are not as tight, and DSA and SA should be less tight anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #425 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:22:55 »

I just leave them (Commando Set) on my WASD greens.  Just haven't the nerve to remove them, besides you could always buy another keyboard (unless it's a handcrafted Korean).

Offline jamaicanpi

« Reply #426 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 04:44:40 »
Hi Matt,

I like the three symbols being used in this keyset (moon, wolf, & coffee).  Right now the "Super key" (aka Windows key) is only being offered with the moon symbol. Could you also offer offer a pair with the coffee and wolf symbols?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #427 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 04:49:50 »
Hi Matt,

I like the three symbols being used in this keyset (moon, wolf, & coffee).  Right now the "Super key" (aka Windows key) is only being offered with the moon symbol. Could you also offer offer a pair with the coffee and wolf symbols?

That would be a cool idea  :)
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #428 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 05:03:26 »
Hi Matt,

unfortunately each custom key size requires a new mold, so adding wolf and coffee "win key" would require an additional $200 setup fee. I will add a standard win key btw and a mac kit.

I might switch the moon with the wolf though... still undecided.

Offline jamaicanpi

« Reply #429 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 06:25:08 »
I might switch the moon with the wolf though... still undecided.

That wolf one is my favorite of the three, so that would be my preference. It's a very cool kit, I look forward to the GB.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #430 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 06:33:29 »
people trust my judgement, in all honesty I can't ask people to spend $150 in a set I have absolutely no clue how it would turn out.

I'll ask SP if they have some samples.
I saw those vintage keypcaps of yours and the Granite set - I bet that anything that came out will be really good man!
awesome work
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Hofy

• Voids Warranties
« Reply #431 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 09:39:37 »

oh that's a nice idea actually! WASD in polycarbonate (transparent) with light blue legend!

Or maybe, glow in the dark or yellow so that it is available in SA also?
Poker II Cherry MX Blue
Filco TenKeyless Zero Fukka
Cherry ML4100
IBM Model M 1391401 Buckle Spring Luvin

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #432 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 10:32:14 »
PC cap with abs legend should be a problem for SA, but the glow in the dark option is definitely nice.

Offline Zeroblade

• Twitter
« Reply #433 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 12:55:18 »
Absolutely lovely color combinations here.
Would totally order a set, had I not already had over 100 USD that I need to set aside for keycaps LOL

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #434 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 13:13:13 »

Current DSA caps, that most current GB have, are not tight, nor loose, just average hold. I think the problem has been fixed, thus, the tight DSA caps are now just an urban legend, that may apply to some old stock DSA caps, though.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #435 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:08:47 »
I've added some keys

yellow ESC is full Glow in the dark with blue legend.

The gamer kit includes a glow in the dark set and a translucent polycarbonate with light blue legends.

Boring Joe's for the sad people out there.

As soon as I get the green light from Melissa I'll push this.

Regarding SA I want to ask Ron if he is pushing his Nuclear data any time soon. I do not want to collide with that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:10:35 by Matt3o »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #436 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:49:32 »
Been following the progress of this IC for a while now.  Still sad that the polls came out in favor of DCS and not DSA :(  Really nice set in terms of the colors and the legend ideas.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #437 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 15:43:32 »
I've added some keys

Show Image

yellow ESC is full Glow in the dark with blue legend.

The gamer kit includes a glow in the dark set and a translucent polycarbonate with light blue legends.

Boring Joe's for the sad people out there.

As soon as I get the green light from Melissa I'll push this.

Regarding SA I want to ask Ron if he is pushing his Nuclear data any time soon. I do not want to collide with that.

Looks really good Matt. Except for the win8 logo  :(

Been following the progress of this IC for a while now.  Still sad that the polls came out in favor of DCS and not DSA :(  Really nice set in terms of the colors and the legend ideas.

I know right.   I voted for DSA.   It would look so good in this color scheme.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #438 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 16:03:11 »
can we add an alternate yellow legend enter/return key like in the original mockups? 
Hi :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #439 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 16:30:32 »

Thanks, really appreciated. DSA you say? Well... it could ever happen sooner or later :) DSA is my master, I have more DSA sets than I like to admit.

can we add an alternate yellow legend enter/return key like in the original mockups? 

Yes, I switched to that

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #440 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 16:31:03 »
Are you still doing moonlight? Or

Edit: I read back. Still interested in this set tho. ~

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #441 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 17:11:48 »
I honestly don't know which form factor I will want now, SA or DSA. If we do both I'm going to have the hardest time deciding!

Offline pasph

« Reply #442 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 18:16:32 »
One set in all the 3 profiles?
Something never made...
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Ronnn

« Reply #443 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 20:13:01 »
I would prefer DSA too, since I am using Colemak layout. I can just swap keycaps without worrying the height differences. Glad that I purchased Granite set.

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #444 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:10:20 »
I would love to have DSA. I have yet to own a set in that profile.
I'd probably end up buying both DCS and DSA if they were to show up too,
but seeing as how this set will use cherry legends, I can only hope DSA will show up..

Man I wish I could change my vote  >:D.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:12:13 by KaLam1ty »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #445 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:44:49 »
running this in 3 profiles would be a bold move. The set is nice but reaching the MOQ in all 3 would be too much.

We had a lot of DSA recently, DCS and SA is more than enough (again if Ron is not running the Nuclear data any time soon)

Offline tbc

« Reply #446 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 02:54:52 »
not backlit...so i'm not in for a set anymore, but i'm in for the GH and win keys in SA :) ...yes, i collect winkeys like people collect GH keys *put on flame suit*

the hunt for backlit SA continues :)
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline pasph

« Reply #447 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 06:04:39 »
These days reaching the moq is difficult even with just a standard set in just 1 profile
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #448 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 13:52:48 »
Wow can't wait for these. In for midnight, twilight mods, and numpad.

Offline Crabby_b

« Reply #449 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 11:37:04 »
This looks really nice. I'll be in for a set whenever the GB starts.