Which profile this set should be?

DCS (standard filco-like caps)
38 (43.7%)
DSA (low spherical)
22 (25.3%)
SA (tall spherical)
27 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: [IC] ALL NEW Midnight SA set  (Read 169702 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: [IC] Midnight set
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 03:26:48 »

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #551 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 03:37:32 »

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #552 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 04:23:58 »
Show Image

and now let's spray our cases and airbrush a wolf silhouette.

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #553 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 08:24:22 »
Does anyone have any examples or photos of what an all R3 SA profile setup looks like?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53800.0
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline Yslen

« Reply #554 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 08:24:46 »
I'm still grieving for the moonlight caps.

I notice that MAX Keyboard caps are doubleshot without the legend being affected by the darker plastic of the cap itself. They seem to lack the diagonal stripe pattern that all other doubleshots I see have. This is presumably simply a different doubleshot manufacturing process, but does anyone know if there are any disadvantages to it compared to SP or similar? Is there any way such a technique could be adopted to produce a set like this one?

I'm guessing the answer will be no, or at least, not easily. If it were possible to persuade the OEM of those caps to make sets for a group buy, there'd be a huge amount of expensive tooling to sort out to get the profile and fonts as we'd all want them.

Still, it shows it's probably possible. That moonlight mock-up looks totally amazing, and it's a real shame it isn't going to exist.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #555 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 10:19:15 »
That doesn't seem doubleshot. They are simply painted.

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #556 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:20:49 »
Sorry im still new to this, but what site will be hosting the GB? Signature plastics or another site?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #557 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:28:15 »
Sorry im still new to this, but what site will be hosting the GB? Signature plastics or another site?

When it goes live, the buy will be here on PimpMyKeyboard. PMK is SP's GB and fun keycap site.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #558 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:29:07 »
SP. I just pushed all the kits, I'm waiting for Melissa to put them online.

Just as a reminder this is what we are going to do, and they are simply gorgeous!

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #559 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:29:58 »

When it goes live, the buy will be here on PimpMyKeyboard. PMK is SP's GB and fun keycap site.
Okay thanks just making sure, I do not want to miss this set :P
Now I just need a QFR or a filco to put them on...the struggle is real

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #560 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 12:02:35 »

Just as a reminder this is what we are going to do, and they are simply gorgeous!

Show Image

Show Image

Those are really sexy layouts, Matt3o.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #561 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 12:06:22 »
That doesn't seem doubleshot. They are simply painted.

The new-ish "Blackbird" TKL is advertised as having "double shot injection-molded keycaps", and the Massdrop page (where I saw it first) talks about making doubleshots with translucent legends being a tricky thing to get right. The older boards definitely have painted caps.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #562 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 12:23:55 »
that doesn't seem available at SP

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 17:06:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #564 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 20:09:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

This man is an Artist, all the way  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .

Trying not to be a typical fanboy but unfortunately I have EVERY single one of his released key-sets here on Geekhack and PMK site.  I still can't believe that this is his last release, but you have to note that he has been working solidly over these years designing numerous key-sets for all of us to appreciate, without EVER being compensated.

This is why when you get a Matt3o key-set you get the very best quality design that is currently available  8) .

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #565 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 22:04:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

Absolutely love the set with the twilight mods.

As always great work Matt  :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #566 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 02:04:13 »
thank you guys, I'm flattered.

I'm still waiting for Mel's final approval, I believe it should go live today.

I'm also trying to confirm the color codes, since I don't have an ABS color ring yet. Could someone with a color ring take a picture of the 4 colors? I'll be ordering one anyway so I'll be able to confirm the colors before going production, so no panic.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #567 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 06:07:38 »
I'm totally loving how subtle of the darker mods are.

Is the base set going to include the stepped caps lock?  Is the stem off center?
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #568 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 06:25:35 »
Is the base set going to include the stepped caps lock?  Is the stem off center?

yes

Offline GSimon

« Reply #569 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 17:50:01 »
I'm still waiting for Mel's final approval, I believe it should go live today.

Have it go live at midnight ;) just because.

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #570 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 17:52:54 »
I can't wait! Going to pick this set up for one of my future boards. Absolutely gorgeous :P

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #571 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 00:15:06 »
Hopefully they can get the GB up before the weekend. I can't take this waiting!

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #572 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 00:50:25 »
Hopefully they can get the GB up before the weekend. I can't take this waiting!
As excited as I am, I could always use more time to save up money, but oh well :P

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #573 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 01:37:20 »
No news yet, Melissa told me that was a bit busy these days.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #574 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:14:04 »
No news yet, Melissa told me that was a bit busy these days.

I should say so, how many current Group Buys are going through their facility at this moment in time  ;D ?

Offline Naga

• DansGame Hello?
« Reply #575 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:41:37 »
I like the Midnight set a lot. I don't like the Twilight mods and I wouldn't buy them. It's just my opinion.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #576 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:06:40 »
that's why we have two options, right?

Offline Alex528

• HELLO YES I LIKE CLICKY KEYBOARD YES VERY NICE
« Reply #577 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:09:54 »
Is there any way you could add in a USB cable and a brobot like that toxic group buy? Sorry if this was mentioned already, 50 is a lot of pages.

Poker 2, SP PBT DSA, MX Blues.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #578 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:11:18 »
I could talk with some vendors if they are willing to add the cable to the mix, but that would be a separate order

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #579 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:14:24 »
Are the modifiers going to be available as standalone subsets? I have not read the entire thread, so it may be already discussed, I apologize in advance if that were the case.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #580 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:19:20 »
Are the modifiers going to be available as standalone subsets? I have not read the entire thread, so it may be already discussed, I apologize in advance if that were the case.

yes you have to grab the base alpha kit and either the midnight or the twilight modifiers. Well, actually you should get both of course :)

Offline Alex528

« Reply #581 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:23:45 »
I could talk with some vendors if they are willing to add the cable to the mix, but that would be a separate order
Thanks! How long do these take on average?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #582 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:28:02 »
At this point I believe the GB will start next Monday (but there might be a surprise today, who knows).

The GB will run for 3 weeks and manufacturing is usually 3-4 more weeks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #583 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:28:38 »
And then you'll run that SA set for me? :P

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #584 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:29:30 »
SA might start sooner than that. If DCS tips quickly I'm all in for starting SA asap.

Offline Alex528

« Reply #585 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 16:14:30 »
Okay, a few questions. First off, what are the compatibility issues with these keycaps and a Leopold FC600M? I was looking at a Poker 2 but I feel like the Leopold's insert/delete keys and arrow cluster would allow me to showcase more of these keys. What problems would I run into, and should I just get the poker 2 to make my life a lot easier?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #586 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 16:57:29 »
the only problem is the spacebar, if you want a complete set you need to cut and glue the stems in the right position

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #587 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 17:54:24 »
Okay, a few questions. First off, what are the compatibility issues with these keycaps and a Leopold FC600M? I was looking at a Poker 2 but I feel like the Leopold's insert/delete keys and arrow cluster would allow me to showcase more of these keys. What problems would I run into, and should I just get the poker 2 to make my life a lot easier?

FC660M is a great keyboard with high quality materials and assembly. However its layout takes some special keys. Mainly 1u windows, 2.25u right shift, and the space bar. As Matt already pointed the last one may be a headache unless you reworked the position of both lateral stems. Other alternative is to have its plate laser cut to fix the stabilizer's stems to the standard positions. Of course you should take all apart for that. One time job though.

The set appears to have everything but the spacebar.

The Poker is just an ANSI standard that you may want to consider if trying different sets is the most important for you. The only consideration is the lack of arrows, the layout requires FN+something to access them.

Offline Alex528

« Reply #588 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 17:55:46 »

FC660M is a great keyboard with high quality materials and assembly. However its layout takes some special keys. Mainly 1u windows, 2.25u right shift, and the space bar. As Matt already pointed the last one may be a headache unless you reworked the position of both lateral stems. Other alternative is to have its plate laser cut to fix the stabilizer's stems to the standard positions. Of course you should take all apart for that. One time job though.

The Poker is just an ANSI standard that you may want to consider if trying different sets is the most important for you. The only consideration is the lack of arrows, the layout requires FN+something to access them.
Thanks for the info! I don't care about not having the arrow key cluster but it feels like a crime letting those beautiful ones from this set go to waste. Is there anything else you can recommend?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #589 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 18:00:37 »

Thanks for the info! I don't care about not having the arrow key cluster but it feels like a crime letting those beautiful ones from this set go to waste. Is there anything else you can recommend?

If you are after 60% you may consider Face U, Face W DIY kits, or even GH60. Other alternative that it is still out of stock is the new V60, a full 60% with a different FN layout and a standard ANSI form. There is also the Choc mini that is almost a TKL, I do not like the shape it has but it is a good board with its own special keys.

Offline Alex528

« Reply #590 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 18:10:43 »
Thanks a lot. I don't really have the patience to build my own keyboard so I'm beginning to think the poker is really my only option, unless I go TKL.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #591 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 18:46:51 »
Thanks a lot. I don't really have the patience to build my own keyboard so I'm beginning to think the poker is really my only option, unless I go TKL.

Right, Poker and V60 are the only ones in that category to carry an standard layout, however the later is not available yet. A few units popped and gone in like 2 days. Besides Poker 2 has keyboard macross, not exactly programmable but close.

Offline Alex528

« Reply #592 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 18:59:35 »

Right, Poker and V60 are the only ones in that category to carry an standard layout, however the later is not available yet. A few units popped and gone in like 2 days. Besides Poker 2 has keyboard macross, not exactly programmable but close.
Okay, thanks for the info. I will probably get the poker because I think it would hurt me to see these key caps sitting in my possession without occupying a keyboard because I currently run a black widow

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #593 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 19:43:24 »
If you're looking to get into different keysets, I'd avoid the KBT Race and Choc Mini as it would be difficult to swap out all of the caps with most of the sets found in these buys. I just put a set of caps on my Race II and had to go searching for a few caps because of the non - standard layout. Some of the keys are different sizes (arrow keys and esc) so there is a bit of space in between them when you use standard keys.

I'm super impressed with my Poker II (60%) and Ducky DK9087 (TKL). It's really easy to find keysets for them and buy only the caps you need.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #594 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 19:37:04 »
the only problem is the spacebar, if you want a complete set you need to cut and glue the stems in the right position

F.Y.I the SA spacebar from calm depths is universal and fits the FC750R. Not trying to correct you about the FC660M though.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #595 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 01:42:55 »
good to know, thanks for the head up

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #596 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 02:11:44 »
Can't wait for SA! 
Hi :)

Offline Alex528