Author Topic: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?  (Read 73285 times)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
Re: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 04:18:37 »
need i say more?
Show Image

that dood is bawss. he should play some counter strike while he's at it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 07:38:57 »
My cube neighbor keeps shrimp in a tank on his desk. 

This is the coolest thing I have read in this thread, I wand to see pics!  8)

I actually let my friend borrow my Ducky Shine II w/ Clears to take to his work today and was planning to just sell it to him if he really liked it but then I forgot his job gives him 50% off credit so he ended just buying through his company :))

You did that backwards you should of had your friend buy you one to start with :o

But back on topic...

The company I work for sounds very laid back compared to what some are posting. I have an actual office however and not just a cubicle, I guess that makes a difference.

As I stated earlier, I bring in pretty much whatever I need to get my job done and the company is ok with that. If it is something that I will need long term they will buy it for me also.

Aside from workplaces who have very strict security/network protocols most places just want you to get your job done, so if that means you can work better/faster with your own keyboard I think it would be ok for most, but the OP was an intern so to me that changes the game.

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 10:14:04 »
Congratulations on your success.. sadly, if what you said is applicable to everyone, "i hate my boss" wouldn't be so highly searched on google..

the tedium and dissatisfaction from jobs is primarily due to the work involved.. Since not everyone has the resources to pursue fulfilling fields, most jobs are of the repetitive nature...

THAT is the most real world for most people. and  adopting your pompous upbeat attitude will make very little difference.. how much less can one hate peeling fruit and potatoes, or lifting engine blocks...

so yea.. you're living the dream, while the rest of us dream it. have a nice day, i'm sure you will  >:D

I'm not living my personal dream yet, but I'm working towards it, which is what sets me apart from people like you.

I was under the impression we were discussing office work and keyboard preferences, not lifting engine blocks, but the same argument applies. The guy who lifts engine blocks can become an apprentice, who can become a mechanic, who can become a master mechanic, who can become a shift supervisor, who can become a garage owner, etc. But if he doesn't care and thinks life sucks, he'll always lift engines for a living. The same applies to corporate code monkeys (like me) and paper pushers.

I'm successful because I have the right attitude and work hard (and some good luck on occasion, no successful person can deny that).

Your attitude is poor, and I bet it shows in your work. What are you doing spending all this money on keyboards and spamming Topre owners if your professional situation isn't where you want it to be? Go do something productive and make a name for yourself.

P.S. - I really enjoyed typing this post with my HHKB Type-S, partially funded by my pompous, upbeat attitude :D

Offline vatin

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:12:05 »
As long as you're happy and the workplace isn't against it. I don't see a reason you shouldn't do it.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:20:11 »
Congratulations on your success.. sadly, if what you said is applicable to everyone, "i hate my boss" wouldn't be so highly searched on google..

the tedium and dissatisfaction from jobs is primarily due to the work involved.. Since not everyone has the resources to pursue fulfilling fields, most jobs are of the repetitive nature...

THAT is the most real world for most people. and  adopting your pompous upbeat attitude will make very little difference.. how much less can one hate peeling fruit and potatoes, or lifting engine blocks...

so yea.. you're living the dream, while the rest of us dream it. have a nice day, i'm sure you will  >:D

I'm not living my personal dream yet, but I'm working towards it, which is what sets me apart from people like you.

I was under the impression we were discussing office work and keyboard preferences, not lifting engine blocks, but the same argument applies. The guy who lifts engine blocks can become an apprentice, who can become a mechanic, who can become a master mechanic, who can become a shift supervisor, who can become a garage owner, etc. But if he doesn't care and thinks life sucks, he'll always lift engines for a living. The same applies to corporate code monkeys (like me) and paper pushers.

I'm successful because I have the right attitude and work hard (and some good luck on occasion, no successful person can deny that).

Your attitude is poor, and I bet it shows in your work. What are you doing spending all this money on keyboards and spamming Topre owners if your professional situation isn't where you want it to be? Go do something productive and make a name for yourself.

P.S. - I really enjoyed typing this post with my HHKB Type-S, partially funded by my pompous, upbeat attitude :D

you've blinded yourself to the reality, that for every monkey like you working IT-tech, there's hundreds of kids, literally kids building IT devices..

Their lives and wages are dispensed so thin to the point of slavery.. by that I mean they're enough to buy the meals of the day, and no more.

There are millions of these cases, you're delusional if you think they can all become apprentices and managers, and eventually THE BOSS..

There is simply not enough room..

I'm doing you a favor by giving you this description of what Upper-Banking is all about, force as many into borderline slavery as possible to maintain a semblance of affluence and progress.. all the while deluding the middle-class "such as you" into thinking that they've achieved it..

Then if all else fails.. Lets start a WAR, plunge governments into debt, which forces them to rely further on central banking..

Again.. I'm not against any of these practices.. I've not yet seen the alternative..

What I do know is, Happiness is NOT an attitude.

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:25:32 »
Again, I thought we were talking about people in offices. You made it a conversation about semi-skilled laborers, to which one's attitude and willingness to work toward something better still applies. Now it's about slave labor, which I quite obviously wasn't talking about. You keep changing the parameters to suit your argument.

I'm not sure if you're a troll or just a moron.

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:30:15 »
"Their lives and wages are dispensed so thin to the point of slavery."

I did two years of work in aid organisations and to be frank your sort of pomposity really annoys me. If you were that bothered about all that you wouldn't sit on a keyboard forum bemoaning your lot and equating yourself with people who earn a dollar a day. Some people would dream of a life where they could sit and be crabby like you. I know I am new here but you need a reality check.

Offline whiskerBox

Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:35:58 »
Start a movement man! When I started my internship I got the same crappy dell keyboard. So long story short I started rotating in some crazy boards ( imsto poker, KMAC, filco, HHKB, and LZ-S) people thought I was crazy at first and then they wanted to try them lol. After that several of the other developers started going mechanical. Now in a couple weeks I am starting at a very rigid company and I plan on busting out the pink LZ day 1. People will respect your dedication or they will think your crazy lol.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:15:20 »
I bring my to work everyday - people might think I am weird when I have my keyboard on the shuttle from parking but who cares. I work at a very large corporation. I would ask though first. Some corporations will only allow corporate peripherals. although I haven't heard of that happening for a long time.

Hey curro123083,  are you a Brony?

Maybe....A little Bit :P
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:22:50 »
I bring my to work everyday - people might think I am weird when I have my keyboard on the shuttle from parking but who cares. I work at a very large corporation. I would ask though first. Some corporations will only allow corporate peripherals. although I haven't heard of that happening for a long time.

Just found out about Bronies the other day and then I watched the show.  I will admit that show is addicting and entertaining.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:27:14 »

I did two years of work in aid organisations and to be frank your sort of pomposity really annoys me. If you were that bothered about all that you wouldn't sit on a keyboard forum bemoaning your lot and equating yourself with people who earn a dollar a day. Some people would dream of a life where they could sit and be crabby like you. I know I am new here but you need a reality check.

HAHA you've wasted 2 years of your life then..

Aid organizations are ineffective because of operation costs.

I like the notion, but you've misplaced your energy.

Everyday I work towards helping the people.. by sharing my wisdom online with you jerks.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:35:45 »

Just found out about Bronies the other day and then I watched the show.  I will admit that show is addicting and entertaining.

I am just preparing for when my daughter starts watching shows like these....well that is what everyone else thinks :)
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:37:35 »

I am just preparing for when my daughter starts watching shows like these....well that is what everyone else thinks :)

hang on, you have a daughter, and you're a bronie, and you're gonna watch the show with her?

... I thought there was a rule against this...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:40:08 »

hang on, you have a daughter, and you're a bronie, and you're gonna watch the show with her?

I wonder if the guys who work on the production side of MLP use mechanical keyboards, that would be awesome if they had pink and purple keyboards.......

I watch the show too....but I have two daughters so I have an excuse.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:40:36 »

hmm...not sure of any laws that prevent a father from enjoying his daughter's company that I know of.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:42:42 »

hmm...not sure of any laws that prevent a father from enjoying his daughter's company that I know of.

a grown man who enjoys a show about ponies made for per-adolescent girls.

has a daughter.

watches said show with said daughter..

well, alrigh....

South kansas City, Missouri.. I will remember you.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:45:56 »
You can remember me all you want. I would rather watch a show about ponies made for adolescent girls than watch an action flick with killing and drugs and the degradation of female's with her.....I call it being a good parent...but if you for some reason cannot get the idea of a child molester out of your head...Then everyone should remember you and not me.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:47:18 »
This thread has really derailed, maybe you should make an argument thread where you can start crap with people in off-topic tp4

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 15:59:21 »

Everyday I work towards helping the people.. by sharing my wisdom online with you jerks.

Ah you are just a troll. Have the last word and enjoy whatever it is to make your day go by at slightly less of a crawl between refreshing forum pages.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 16:41:20 »

Ah you are just a troll. Have the last word and enjoy whatever it is to make your day go by at slightly less of a crawl between refreshing forum pages.

typical, you have no logical argument left, so you dive into name calling and personal attacks..

Offline bisl

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 17:02:00 »

typical, you have no logical argument left, so you dive into name calling and personal attacks..

typical, you're a sociopath narrating your own discussions with others like it's a chess game.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 17:34:11 »

typical, you're a sociopath narrating your own discussions with others like it's a chess game.

uh-oh, the hyenas.. LOL sup bisl, haven't heard from you for a while.

Chess game? you guys don't qualify.. let's go with you're more like checkers to me.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 21:36:01 »
If you're a software dev and aren't allowed to bring in a keyboard, quit. You have the most in-demand job in the world right now, and should be treated as such.

Offline pgeiger

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 18:58:51 »
Just do it.  I had my boss buy me some cool stuff - but only after a year - I wish I'd brought in my keyboard.

Offline ktownhero

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:26:05 »
I just moved into a programming role at my company, and I brought a Realforce 87U the first day on the job.  And now I'm going to be bringing in a Leopold 660C to possibly take its place :P

Use what you like.  If they have a problem with it, then tell them it's "ergonomics" -- that's pretty much your "get out of jail free" card for anything you want to use in the office.  They can't deny you something used for ergonomic purposes, that's a liability. 

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:29:54 »
Use what you like.  If they have a problem with it, then tell them it's "ergonomics" -- that's pretty much your "get out of jail free" card for anything you want to use in the office.  They can't deny you something used for ergonomic purposes, that's a liability. 

Yeah.. or tell 'em to go pay 5 figures to a headhunter to fill that position, and more than likely get somebody who's going to be ****ty at the job and cost way more in the long run. Programmers get to use whatever they want, as far as I'm concerned*

*If it sounds like I think programmers deserve special treatment, it's because I do.

Offline Joxx

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:37:21 »
I don't think anyone will find it weird, just don't bring a pink keyboard with a Valentine set on it or do bring one of those so everyone can look at how awesome the seet is
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 01:44:23 »
Well, I've brought my own to pretty much every job I've had. Had mountains of keyboards at my last 2 :P

Engineering clients especially like the vintage keyboards with custom controllers :P
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 07:30:56 »

need i say more?
Show Image

that dood is bawss. he should play some counter strike while he's at it.

lol ya CS will be fun with a bawss keyboard to match his bawss personality

Offline Paspie

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 16:25:45 »
Unfortunately its not really very practical in school to be hauling out and in your keyboard every hour (every time you change class), so I've never done that. I have brought in my own mouse before though, but it got a bit grubby just loose in the bag so I've never bothered since.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 20:30:59 »
Unfortunately its not really very practical in school to be hauling out and in your keyboard every hour (every time you change class)

I do it anyway!   :))

Offline baller1308

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:09:13 »
Why would you not bring your own keyboard.  Beats having to type on some crappy dell hand me down.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline Paspie

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:26:04 »
I don't really want to get labelled at school for being any worse than I already am, so I don't do it. I also like to keep my stuff in decent nick, in one place where I know it is unlikely to get damaged by others. Mind you, I've never had a personal separates keyboard so maybe I'll try it at some point.

Offline Null Hypothesis

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 17:24:11 »
No it's not weird to bring your own tools to work if they make you feel more comfortable. People in my office bring in stuff all the time, including peripherals. I'm not the only one who has brought in a replacement keyboard, though I am the only person who keeps three different mechanical keyboards in his cube. I only started doing that after I was established as the oddball, mind.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:36:19 »
I don't really want to get labelled at school for being any worse than I already am [...]

Say what?

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 19:42:17 »
I don't really want to get labelled at school for being any worse than I already am [...]

Say what?

Prolly the brony thing :p

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 20:01:48 »
I've been at a new job for a little over 4 months now and not only have I brought in my own keyboard.....I've brought in 5 (so far). On top of that I have "turned" 2 of my coworkers into buying their own (including a couple pairs of keycap sets from me) and I have 4 more people who want to buy mechanical keyboards.

Is it weird....yes....should you care....nah!!!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 20:20:11 »
I brought my Race to work. One co-worker, with a puzzled look on his face asked why since there was a keyboard there already (HP rubberdome). We have about 10 people using the same keyboard 24/7 and quite frankly its just disgusting. To avoid trying to explain mech boards my answer was simply "I dont know, I like it". I bring it back and forth every shift with a Mimic cable and I'm happy.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Sai

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 20:35:50 »
my colleague said "Your keyboard is ...... amazing"  :p
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline thurst0n

• Key-ping it real
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 21:02:11 »
This thread is very interesting to me. I have been thinking about doing this.

I work for a major financial institution and I have a feeling that if I asked I would be told no. It comes down to security. We deal with customer information everyday. Socials, names, adddresses, DOB, blood type, account numbers, everything. Who is to say I don't put a keylogger in my keyboard before I bring it in? I can understand why the rules are the way they are...

I could possibly convince them that I need it for ergonomic reasons..maybe. I've been working there for more than 3 years so this would be coming out of left field.

I have this very sure feeling that if I just simply did it then managers wouldn't say a thing. My co-workers would give me crap for sure, and call me weird. But I'm not worried about that really. Most of the people I work with are 18-28 so I think that age group tends to be a little bit more judgmental.

I would definitely go with a very basic white on black board to match the others in the office. I'm not to the point of 'cannot stand membrane' because I still type on membrane 100% at work therefore I probably am still typing more on membrane than my mechanical at home.

I got obsessed with this stuff pretty quick and I reallllly want to bring in my own board. I am almost positive that I will inquire with my management.
-- Ducky One TKL --

Offline caiges

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 21:03:59 »
Bringing your keyboard to work is like wearing pants. I can't remember when I didn't bring my own keyboard/mouse into work.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 21:06:20 »
For my next essay, i think i am going to bring my own keyboard to my school. Going to get weird looks beyond belief, but i have to pick my quietest board.

Going to work in the library, so i gotta keep it quiet...shhhhh :p

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 21:06:46 »
Meh, I can't stand not using my own equipment.
I love Elzy

Offline qtan5370

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 07:37:11 »
It it common to bring you pen to write, what's the problem to bring your keyboard to write?

Look for Keyboard? Check my offers. I have most major keyboard and some caps for you, if you don\'t see it there, ask me. I am Top rated seller on eBay now, and have retail store in China selling keyboard and other gaming staffs.

My eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/E-sports-Gaming-equipments?_rdc=1

My store(lower price than eBay): http://www.keyboardwow.com

Offline Paspie

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 07:56:56 »

Say what?

Nope, stuff that came before that. Upon reading this thread though I think I want to start trying it out. But I'm going to need to use a bigger bag than I've got right now. :/

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:37:36 »
You always need a bigger bag.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 08:51:48 »

Say what?

Nope, stuff that came before that. Upon reading this thread though I think I want to start trying it out. But I'm going to need to use a bigger bag than I've got right now. :/

And next you will be following Demik's thread on training to get in a better shape ONLY to be able to CARRY your 10 pound keyboard!!!

Also, remember that carrying your own keyboard is a nice way to carry a lethal weapon under cover (referring to SmallFry super big keyboard AKA I smash you with my keyboard if needed)
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 09:00:41 »
I bring my own keyboard to work. I need a fullsize at work and I need UK ISO, so I bought a fullsize UK ISO keyboard for work. All my other keyboards are TKL and ANSI, but they stay at home. My work keyboard is a Cougar Attack - I use the macro keys quite alot. It has red switches, except for the mod's which are black switches, and it has a partial Purple and Red LED backlight. I have also sanded away the "Cougar Passion X Innovation" branding. So its a bit of a massive black board with a fancy two colour partial backlight.
I got boards.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 10:03:47 »
I bring a poker with cherry mx blacks + rubber o-rings to work AND I am an intern at an engineering firm.

I have also brought a HHKB Pro 2 and a Noppoo Choc Mini (Cherry MX Red) to work on occasion. I brought the HHKB almost all last semester, primarily because it was new to me. Now that summer has started, I bring the poker. One, because my poker (and other cherry mx keyboards), don't get much use at home. Two the cherry mx black with o-rings is much quieter than the HHKB.

When I first started bringing my keyboard in, I got asked a lot of questions on why I wanted such a small keyboard. Never really on why I brought my keyboard in. A few of the full time engineers have brought in their own peripherals (and they generally leave them, I don't because I'm not here every day during the school year), the only questions I have ever really received are about why I use the mini-style. Most of the people hate trying to use my poker (some of them use right shift a lot when I tend to leave it on as arrow keys) , but they have all commented on how nice it is to type on.

Honestly, I would avoid it for the first few weeks / months, until the full time employees get to know you. If you bring your keyboard on the first day as an intern, you will more than likely get a reputation for being a weird kid that brings his own keyboard. An internship is just as much about experience as it is connections, you don't want to burn bridges or make a bad first impression, because these are never forgotten.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 11:04:08 »
Once I found a person with a blue alps kb tossed around, I threw out my begging face and had to explain why did I wanted an old keyboard as such. After my full hearted and detailed presentation, that person asked me "what's the problem with you?" and how did my parents and girlfriend at the moment handled me. She suggested that I go to therapy

That's disgusting. If somebody ever gave me that attitude, I'd seriously ask what had happened to them to make them so judgmental about things they don't understand and suggest they go see a therapist to work on their obvious insecurity issues that make them feel the need to belittle the interests of others.