Author Topic: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?  (Read 72992 times)

Offline okooko

• afk.
Re: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 00:51:35 »
My boss sometimes comments that he can here me typing from his office, but nobody seems to have a problem with it.

Buy your boss one also.

Having said that, I don't think it would benefit my boss as he is a slowish typer still rocking fingers. Never seen him crank out paragraphs and what not, just short email replies day in day out.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 01:09:46 »
I brought in a 1391401.  Then another, letting a co-worker use the first one.  Then a pair of G80-8200s, hoping the programmable keys would boost efficiency.  They didn't, because they suck as typing boards with worn-out clear switches and a weak build quality.  Then a 122M on a Soarer converter, which eventually had problems with the backspace siezing up.  Finally, a Ducky 1008 with Blues.  At one point, we semi-seriously considered "is it worth it to try to import and sell mech boards ourselves", discovering that the amount we'd have to commit up-front was too high.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 04:54:51 »
Oo, I like this thread too :P Do any of you have security issues? Like does everyone feel safe leaving their precious's at work???

Not really. My office is locked when I am not there. I leave my wallet, cell phone and all kinds of stuff there all the time. Quite often I do not even lock up if I leave for less than 30 minutes or so.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 04:58:38 »
Not really. My office is locked when I am not there. I leave my wallet, cell phone and all kinds of stuff there all the time. Quite often I do not even lock up if I leave for less than 30 minutes or so.

Thank you for these answers because I haven't worked before, at least not at a desk with computers and I always wondered like "what if I leave my precious keyboard and come back to find it missing O_o;;" :)) Looks like it's not a common issue :P I guess if you leave your expensive keyboards stock, most people wouldn't even know the value of it :P

Offline Bencze

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 05:36:42 »
We had a problem with cleaning personnel stealing stuff a couple years ago (a special kind of benefit we had, some tickets you can spend on food only but it used to be tax free). One colleague baited the guy a few days later with the help of a webcam though and he got fired. I hope the company learned and they train people carefully to avoid these kind of situations.
I think most important is, from security perspective, if the keyboard looks just generic (normal boring colored key caps). Tenkeyless may be even better because most people use full sized so I'd say 9 regular people out of 10 would not want a TKL.
Personally I will probably just risk it and use some nice key caps :P risk of stealing is quite low I believe... I'll either use my CCnG at work, or get something else (just thinking of a second set of key caps to try, maybe some stealth like key caps so I finally learn to type).
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline urbanus

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 05:53:54 »
Since I'm just an intern I'm still going through training and not really contributing much so I don't feel like I'm a real part of "the team" yet. Would it be weird for me to bring in my own keyboard? No one in my department has brought in their own keyboard, they're all using the corporate assigned Dell L100. I work full time at this corporation.

It can be worthwhile to exhibit an interest in tech that goes beyond your immediate work.  It shows motivation and character.

Having said that, I'd definitely check with IT first.  Some BOFHs think that anything connected to "their" systems is fair game for authoritarian abuse.  "That keyboard isn't authorised -- in the trash it goes!  Ha!"

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 06:02:42 »
As a new employee who would, one day, like to be an old employee, you may try considering the employers perspective.

Your boss, whether called the owner, director, supervisor, foreman or just plain Sir, is probably indifferent to your keyboard preferences.  Bosses tend to care about your ability and willingness to do the task you were hired to do. They aren't looking for characters or individuals. They hired you to do a task that needed to be done. Period.

With that in mind, ask to use your personal keyboard, not because it makes you smile, not because you like the sound it makes, not even because it's more comfortable to use. Ask to use it because it allows you to work better and faster.

As others have said, it's best to leave the board at home that has the rainbow caps, the noisiest click and the flashing lights that spell out "I'M SPECIAL".
Just a nondescript keyboard.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Re: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 06:04:22 »
The first step to doing anything of value in this world is not caring too much about what other people think.  There are limits to that statement, but seriously.  Don't worry about it.

I agree with you, but in this situation I'm an expendable intern who is trying to secure a full time career position upon graduation. I care very much about what people think.

I'm pretty sure if they judge you for a keyboard, you really don't want to work for them.

That's a nice thought, but not a realistic luxury to have when you're facing student debt and a poor economy  :p

I was a student only 11 months ago. And I've turned down jobs based on stuff like that. =Shrugs=

Offline Larken

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 06:51:53 »
The nail that sticks out gets hammered down. Just don't bring a unicorn vomit board or anything with non-standard colors. Blanks are passable, but it does garner attention when someones tries to use your workstation.

That said, I don't think it's anyone's business in the office what I use to do my work, as long as it makes me more productive. I don't use clicky switches, and on occasion I had colleagues comment on my keyboard on the basis that it's obviously not issued by the office. Not a unicorn vomit board, just a normal white on black board.

When asked if I brought my keyboard from home, I simply answer yes and frown at them, making them look like the weird one for asking the question. Which stops any further questions. :D

If I don't find it a problem that people are using crappy rubberdomes at work, I don't see why I should suffer any grief for choosing to bring my own mechanical in. Otherwise I would have to make fun of the people who brings their own pens to the office instead of using the crappy papermates.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline pat

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 08:55:41 »
I've been brining my own keyboard into my jobs for 15 years now.  I have tactile sensitivity issues, when people ask, I just tell them that and everyone is happy.  It's like saying I have a disability, and this special keyboard is for medical reasons so leave me alone.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 09:01:03 »
I've been brining my own keyboard into my jobs for 15 years now.  I have tactile sensitivity issues, when people ask, I just tell them that and everyone is happy.  It's like saying I have a disability, and this special keyboard is for medical reasons so leave me alone.
Where do I get my prescription for a Topre one? gotta go to your Dr.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:05:21 »
Brought my own keyboard my first day.

People asked once, then I told them I have a hygienic issue with sharing keyboards.  People are more likely to share the same simple illnesses (cold, flu) if they share the same keyboard.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:33:12 »

Hang on , this might actually be possible... We just need to find "the guy".... actually... any ah.. chiropractors on GH, 

If you have good insurance, you can prob get away with something like this on a chiropractor's prescription... :D

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:36:19 »
I bring my to work everyday - people might think I am weird when I have my keyboard on the shuttle from parking but who cares. I work at a very large corporation. I would ask though first. Some corporations will only allow corporate peripherals. although I haven't heard of that happening for a long time.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:39:38 »

Hang on , this might actually be possible... We just need to find "the guy".... actually... any ah.. chiropractors on GH, 

If you have good insurance, you can prob get away with something like this on a chiropractor's prescription... :D

There are insurance companies that would accept a Rx from a chiropractor? Gawd that's scary.  May as well send them a post-it note with a smiley-face sticker on it...

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:44:23 »
Yes its weird but only matters if you think it matters. People will either not notice/care, think youre weird and make an ass out of themself, or be intrigued by it.
SmallFry! <3

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 15:08:01 »
As a new employee who would, one day, like to be an old employee, you may try considering the employers perspective.

Your boss, whether called the owner, director, supervisor, foreman or just plain Sir, is probably indifferent to your keyboard preferences.  Bosses tend to care about your ability and willingness to do the task you were hired to do. They aren't looking for characters or individuals. They hired you to do a task that needed to be done. Period.

With that in mind, ask to use your personal keyboard, not because it makes you smile, not because you like the sound it makes, not even because it's more comfortable to use. Ask to use it because it allows you to work better and faster.

As others have said, it's best to leave the board at home that has the rainbow caps, the noisiest click and the flashing lights that spell out "I'M SPECIAL".

I'm glad I don't subscribe to this philosophy. Might as well crawl in the grave and die now.

Where do you guys work anyway? Sounds like a horrible way to spend 8 hours out of your day.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 15:19:15 »
We work in every typical office.  Guess we can't all be freebirds like you

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 15:26:09 »

I'm glad I don't subscribe to this philosophy. Might as well crawl in the grave and die now.

Where do you guys work anyway? Sounds like a horrible way to spend 8 hours out of your day.

HAHAHAHA....

Welcome to the grave that is the real world.. :D

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:10:27 »
Lol. This thread is definitely a lil' gem out of nowhere.

Offline EXARKUN007

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:24:17 »
We have the same keyboards at work, but I work in a hospital lab and there is no way I'm going to take the chance of getting any of that crap (sometimes literally) on my new board, or really anything I brought in.  I'll just suffer in silence I guess! 

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:45:25 »
I brought my own board to work, and it periodically gets redecorated. That said, I work in an office with 8 people in it, and every damn one of us has some crazy quirks, so it's never been a problem. :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:48:46 »
I guess I should condemn the guy who has almost a full Dr. Who cast of bobbleheads on his desk to bullying and stolen lunch money.  That's way more flashy than my unicorn vomit.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:51:26 »
I have yet to see a "different" keyboard besides mine where I work. I have seen a few model M's by some senior engineers. But I did find out my companies policy and asked my manager. I have Cherry Blues so I also informed my cube mates and told them to please let me know if they were annoying and if so I would get a new board? Sadly, no one has complained so I have not gotten a new board :)
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:52:56 »
The first step to doing anything of value in this world is not caring too much about what other people think.  There are limits to that statement, but seriously.  Don't worry about it.

I agree with you, but in this situation I'm an expendable intern who is trying to secure a full time career position upon graduation. I care very much about what people think.

Or you'll be that intern that did something different and innovative, and actively tries to improve his workplace experience by bringing in a top notch keyboard that is the envy of all the other employees.  You show that you are not afraid to improve your workplace and try different things, as long as it does not negatively impact the company.  We all know how awesome these keyboards are.  Spread the word.  You will be the intern that stands out in a good way.

All depends on how you interpret the situation.  And if you do it with enough confidence, charisma, authenticity and honesty, people will come away with a good opinion of you.

Also, remember to smile a lot and acknowledge people during your internship.  That will make a good impression.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:55:48 »
I have yet to see a "different" keyboard besides mine where I work. I have seen a few model M's by some senior engineers. But I did find out my companies policy and asked my manager. I have Cherry Blues so I also informed my cube mates and told them to please let me know if they were annoying and if so I would get a new board? Sadly, no one has complained so I have not gotten a new board :)

Finding a legitimate excuse to get a new keyboard :)) I like your style.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:00:46 »
I bring my to work everyday - people might think I am weird when I have my keyboard on the shuttle from parking but who cares. I work at a very large corporation. I would ask though first. Some corporations will only allow corporate peripherals. although I haven't heard of that happening for a long time.

Hey curro123083,  are you a Brony?

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:09:33 »
I have my own and will be starting a new job in the same company next week and will be taking it along. It caused great interest (read people think its weird but get them to type on it and they do the little 'sigh' of mechanical excellence) so much so that I leant one to the guys sitting either side of me (peril of acquiring too many of these things). I gave my QFR to the guy next to me yesterday as a leaving present (he's donated some money to the charity our workplace sponsors). I am taking the Klaxons to my new job, red key win.

What's not to like.

Don't be afraid to be an individual..as long as its in a good way. I employ a pretty big team and I am always looking for people who stand out, not because they fart while cartwheeling around the office dressed in a kilt or anything but because even in a job like ours (I am in development) you want people who create a conversation.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:10:58 »
Typing on my Phantom with Ragnarok set, red eyed Gasmask cap, and red on black Cherry logo key housed in red and black litster case at work. Feels good man.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:13:59 »
I've been using the same Model M (60G3571) at work for over 10 years now.  At the time, it was my first and only mechanical keyboard that I purchased new in 1994.  I was inspired to bring it after the guy in the next cube over brought one in.  A few cube moves later I started getting complaints about the noise, so I attempted to grease mod it (after unsuccessfully searching for a real QuietTouch).  There was a fair amount of trial and error, but I got it to work and the complaints stopped.  It's been like that for the past 5 years or so and it's the smoothest Model M I have ever typed on.  It's my daily driver for my desktop PC(s) and I leave it out every night.  I get comments like "wow, that's an old keyboard" or "I remember those!"  It gets noticed more since I put RGB mods on a year or two ago.

I also have a MacBook Pro on my desk and with that I use different keyboards all the time.  Right now I'm using the FC660C, but I often use a Poker or a Noppo Choc Mini.  When I had the RA2.0 caps on the Poker, it got a lot of attention.  Since I take my laptop home every day, I either bring the keyboard with or lock it up.

People think I'm a bit odd, but the keyboard thing is only one facet of that.  ;)
Russ

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:25:55 »
I bring my Poker to school. I get a lot of comments on it but people don't think it's too odd given my typing speed.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:27:39 »
Typing on my Phantom with Ragnarok set, red eyed Gasmask cap, and red on black Cherry logo key housed in red and black litster case at work. Feels good man.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:33:40 »
I've brought ten or twelve different keyboards to work so far.  My HR manager had a Das Keyboard, but fell in love with the Ducky Shine 2 - 78 version I let her try, so she bought it off me.  I've loaned out my CM Trigger to the IT guy (he works in an office with the lights off, likes the back-lighting), my Noppoo Choc Mini to one of the guys on my team, and a Ducky XM to one of the recruiters.  I switch back and forth between my cop car keyboard (TG3), the Unicomp Model M, and when I want to impress visitors I plug in the SkiData.

Everyone expresses their individuality differently.  One of the guys in my office wears neon green Crocs, and short sleeve shirts to show off his ink.  My cube neighbor keeps shrimp in a tank on his desk.  I like trying out different keyboards. 

Set up your desk the way you like it, and bring in your own keyboard if they won't buy you one you like.   ;D

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:36:11 »
I've brought ten or twelve different keyboards to work so far.  My HR manager had a Das Keyboard, but fell in love with the Ducky Shine 2 - 78 version I let her try, so she bought it off me.  I've loaned out my CM Trigger to the IT guy (he works in an office with the lights off, likes the back-lighting), my Noppoo Choc Mini to one of the guys on my team, and a Ducky XM to one of the recruiters.  I switch back and forth between my cop car keyboard (TG3), the Unicomp Model M, and when I want to impress visitors I plug in the SkiData.

Everyone expresses their individuality differently.  One of the guys in my office wears neon green Crocs, and short sleeve shirts to show off his ink.  My cube neighbor keeps shrimp in a tank on his desk.  I like trying out different keyboards. 

Set up your desk the way you like it, and bring in your own keyboard if they won't buy you one you like.   ;D

I actually let my friend borrow my Ducky Shine II w/ Clears to take to his work today and was planning to just sell it to him if he really liked it but then I forgot his job gives him 50% off credit so he ended just buying through his company :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:39:26 »
I've been using the same Model M (60G3571) at work for over 10 years now.  At the time, it was my first and only mechanical keyboard that I purchased new in 1994.  I was inspired to bring it after the guy in the next cube over brought one in.  A few cube moves later I started getting complaints about the noise, so I attempted to grease mod it (after unsuccessfully searching for a real QuietTouch).  There was a fair amount of trial and error, but I got it to work and the complaints stopped.  It's been like that for the past 5 years or so and it's the smoothest Model M I have ever typed on.  It's my daily driver for my desktop PC(s) and I leave it out every night.  I get comments like "wow, that's an old keyboard" or "I remember those!"  It gets noticed more since I put RGB mods on a year or two ago.

I also have a MacBook Pro on my desk and with that I use different keyboards all the time.  Right now I'm using the FC660C, but I often use a Poker or a Noppo Choc Mini.  When I had the RA2.0 caps on the Poker, it got a lot of attention.  Since I take my laptop home every day, I either bring the keyboard with or lock it up.

People think I'm a bit odd, but the keyboard thing is only one facet of that.  ;)

post pics of your cubicle  :D

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:41:43 »

I actually let my friend borrow my Ducky Shine II w/ Clears to take to his work today and was planning to just sell it to him if he really liked it but then I forgot his job gives him 50% off credit so he ended just buying through his company :))

I'm going to get one of those TG3 keyboards with Clears to try out the switch, got my eye on the Ducky Shine 2 with Clears.  Just wish it came with green backlighting... 

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 17:41:48 »
I've brought my own keyboards and mouse to both Microsoft and Netflix. I was not alone at either. In fact the latter had an interesting mechanical keyboard thread going on internal lists.

[)amien

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 18:08:55 »
I've thought about bringing a keyboard to school...i would only need it if i needed to write an essay in school, or i could use it in class..but i would get a plethora of weird looks

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 18:14:25 »
I've thought about bringing a keyboard to school...i would only need it if i needed to write an essay in school, or i could use it in class..but i would get a plethora of weird looks

I bring my keyboard all the time, and I get probably 50/50 oogling and weird looks.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 18:28:51 »
This thread reminds me of

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 18:33:36 »
This thread reminds me of

Show Image

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 18:34:54 »

I bring my keyboard all the time, and I get probably 50/50 oogling and weird looks.

i feel like the best place for me to bring it would be the library...where i actually get work done...but i'm also supposed to be quiet hahah

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 19:45:39 »

HAHAHAHA....

I've worked in all different kinds of environments ranging from large, traditional corporations to small, hip agencies. My first job out of college was in a very corporate environment at a well-known Japanese consumer electronics company, and I was banging away on a Northgate Omnikey split board with Dvorak stickers on the keycaps that I bought on ebay and had shipped straight to the office. I got some smiles and some questions, that's all.

You can respect your superiors without being afraid of them. Keeping your head down, hiding your personality, and simply doing what you're told is the surest path towards a long, miserable career.

Your world is what you make it :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 19:50:15 »

HAHAHAHA....

I've worked in all different kinds of environments ranging from large, traditional corporations to small, hip agencies. My first job out of college was in a very corporate environment at a well-known Japanese consumer electronics company, and I was banging away on a Northgate Omnikey split board with Dvorak stickers on the keycaps that I bought on ebay and had shipped straight to the office. I got some smiles and some questions, that's all.

You can respect your superiors without being afraid of them. Keeping your head down, hiding your personality, and simply doing what you're told is the surest path towards a long, miserable career.

Congratulations on your success.. sadly, if what you said is applicable to everyone, "i hate my boss" wouldn't be so highly searched on google..

the tedium and dissatisfaction from jobs is primarily due to the work involved.. Since not everyone has the resources to pursue fulfilling fields, most jobs are of the repetitive nature...

THAT is the most real world for most people. and  adopting your pompous upbeat attitude will make very little difference.. how much less can one hate peeling fruit and potatoes, or lifting engine blocks...

so yea.. you're living the dream, while the rest of us dream it. have a nice day, i'm sure you will  >:D

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 20:22:48 »

Congratulations on your success.. sadly, if what you said is applicable to everyone, "i hate my boss" wouldn't be so highly searched on google..

the tedium and dissatisfaction from jobs is primarily due to the work involved.. Since not everyone has the resources to pursue fulfilling fields, most jobs are of the repetitive nature...

THAT is the most real world for most people. and  adopting your pompous upbeat attitude will make very little difference.. how much less can one hate peeling fruit and potatoes, or lifting engine blocks...

so yea.. you're living the dream, while the rest of us dream it. have a nice day, i'm sure you will  >:D

I agree greatly with the first poster and disagree greatly with the second poster.  One of the few ways to get by in this world is have an upbeat attitude and sense of humor in the face of the dreariness of office life.  Why do you think Dilbert is a such a success?  Because the creator brings humor to everyday situations that us white collar workers experience on a daily basis.

The first poster mentioned nothing about living the dream.  He just offered some advice, based on his past experiences and outlook, that could be of aide to the OP.

I agree that most jobs are of repetitive nature, but I have seen people doing every kind of mindless, tedious work, more mind numbing than the soul crushing cubicle that I walk into every morning, and still keep a positive attitude towards life.  It amazes me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 21:07:11 »

I agree greatly with the first poster and disagree greatly with the second poster.  One of the few ways to get by in this world is have an upbeat attitude and sense of humor in the face of the dreariness of office life.  Why do you think Dilbert is a such a success?  Because the creator brings humor to everyday situations that us white collar workers experience on a daily basis.

The first poster mentioned nothing about living the dream.  He just offered some advice, based on his past experiences and outlook, that could be of aide to the OP.

I agree that most jobs are of repetitive nature, but I have seen people doing every kind of mindless, tedious work, more mind numbing than the soul crushing cubicle that I walk into every morning, and still keep a positive attitude towards life.  It amazes me.

This positive attitude amounts to nothing... I'm not saying that the nonending mindlessness of the normal job should bring you sadness.. but no change in attitude can make that job better... since the worst part of that job is the engine lifting..

unless your positive attitude can lift engines.. no application of it will truly improve the worker's life..

You could however, pay him more... but oh wait... the executives and middle management needs a bonus.. sorry, forget it.. we're cool down here with the engine blocks.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:19:10 »
What's weird is to go around touching keyboards not of your own, whenever you're shopping or you find one interesting, and try to calm yourself because it's so cool, but you already have too many lying around  :p. I turned into that cat lady of the simpsons, but with kbs
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:23:29 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:16:19 »
What's weird is to go around touching keyboards not of your own, whenever you're shopping or you find one interesting, and try to calm yourself because it's so cool, but you already have too many lying around  :p. I turned into that cat lady of the simpsons, but with kbs

so you're a serial toucher?

Now we have a serial cannibal and a serial toucher on gh

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 03:59:24 »
need i say more?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 04:02:20 »
need i say more?
Show Image

this isn't real, is this real?  I'm cool with using a 40" for a monitor, but sitting that close to one?