Author Topic: Can you Touch type?  (Read 9101 times)

Offline alka5eltzer

Can you Touch type?
« on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:43:15 »
Can you Touch type?

If so...  When and how did you learn?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Re: Can you Touch type?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:44:12 »
By forcing myself to not look down. If you have no self control you could always try a blank keyboard.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:45:24 »
I've been able to touch type for a while, but I became much better at it two summers ago when I did daily transcribing of conversations for a deaf friend of mine.

jwaz speaks the truth though: don't look down or get blank keycaps.

Offline nilpt

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:49:19 »
Started to learn by myself a couple of months ago with only a blank TKL.
For me it was the best way to avoid looking at the keys.
Still pretty slow but I think I got the hang of it by now.
No typing tutorials whatsoever, just forcing myself.
As an adult I have around 20 years of hunt and peck, the layout was all in memory, just needed to push myself.
IBM 1391410 / Qume terminal keyboard (teensy 2++)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:55:56 »
Yup. Learned back in '94

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:03:34 »
Learning just now, been using hunt and peck before but now trying to learn touch typing for better speed. Training softwares have been a big help!

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:05:12 »
They taught us typing in middle school but these days I think it's taught not long after kids learn to read.

Offline Hazel

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:08:48 »
Over the years I developed the ability to "type without looking" from pure muscle memory, but it wasn't proper touch typing.  If I let my mind go blank, the words came out - but if you told me to press a specific key without looking, I probably couldn't do it!

Last year I decided to learn how to "properly" touch type when I became interested in alternate layouts.  After experimenting with Dvorak and Workman, I settled on Colemak.  I mostly used simple online tutorials, and then speed-testing sites like 10fastfingers.  Within a few weeks I was touch-typing Colemak full-time, and within a couple more I was typing faster than I ever could with qwerty.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:34:39 »
I started getting into touch typing more seriously 3 years ago when I first met my girlfriend; got jealous about how she could out type me during event runs when we ran mmos together (we still do, but not like we use to). It's been slow coming because I haven't been too serious about it, but every now and then I'll re-run my tutoring program and retain a bit more. Currently, I glance down at the beginning of most words, but complete them on memory. I'm still not quite sure how much faster I'm typing now than I use to with one hand, but it doesn't seem like much, haha.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:39:16 »
Been touch typing since like 12 at least cuz too lazy to look down at keyboard while I'm microing
I love Elzy

Offline RedCloudFuneral

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:39:51 »
Yeah, it just kind of happened after years of using the computer. I don't use the standard technique but I'm close enough. :p

After some time I got a blank keyboard to stop myself from looking down and that solidified it in my mind. Before I'd have moments where I'd forget where a key was, took about a week of blanks to get past that.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 13:29:14 »
After deciding to switch to Dvorak purely for speed, I can now touch type without compromise. So much practice... fingers always hurting.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 13:47:33 »
I only got into touch typing when I started using mechs, so only about a year, but I don't do it all the time. I only usually do it when I'm watching TV or having a conversation with someone (rude, I know.)

I still push the wrong buttons when I play Dota though and I'm not looking at the keyboard. Which is probably more important hah. No backspace in game!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:03:46 »
Yes. xD I don't have memory of not knowing how to touch type. I guess it came natural to me via games like World of Warcraft where I needed to use my whole keyboard without looking down to be effective.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:20:39 »
Yep, been touch typing for quite a while now. I believe we started learning how to touch type since Kindergarten/Grade 1, but my typing speed didn't increase until I started playing online MMOs  :p
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:37:40 »

Yep, been touch typing for quite a while now. I believe we started learning how to touch type since Kindergarten/Grade 1, but my typing speed didn't increase until I started playing online MMOs  :p

Yeah I mastered touch typing from playing CS 1.6 lol

All those g4mer chat logs helped me eh

Think I was still using my index finger on the comp when I was like in kindergarten playing neopets lol
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:38:52 »
We should institute an official WPM ranking..

WPM

60 : Learner

80 : Progressive

100 : Geekhalf

120 : Scrubb

130 : Proficient GHer

130+ :Dedicant

I admit these are not the greatest names, but they represent what I'd perceive as the mentality of the member with respect to Keyboarding (at that speed rating).

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:40:23 »
120 = "Scrubb"? Wtf, dawg?
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:44:21 »

It serves as reverse-psych motivation.. to push oneself above the average limitation of 125wpm..

So this way we Generate a collective of ELITE GHers.. all striving for 125 +..

Making GH synonymous with elite keyboarding...

It's about building the Brand really..    to do that, we need people who push limits no?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:50:19 »

It serves as reverse-psych motivation.. to push oneself above the average limitation of 125wpm..

It's about building the Brand really..    to do that, we need people who push limits no?

I see. I think you should change 100 WPM to "Unworthy of a mechanical keyboard".

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 14:52:51 »
Why am I a scrub :(
Sorry I don't have the blood of sifo running through me :/
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 15:09:16 »
I learned to touch type in a mandatory career ed class in 7th grade. Back then, I didn't think much of how useful it would be, but now, after seeing how not everyone is able to touch type and for some, it may even take quite some time, I am happy that I was forced to take that typing class.

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 15:13:12 »
I need to get blank key caps I always look for the & symbol, even though I know where it is, I just typed it there without looking but it happens.. this is why when I get my custom board rolling no more engraved keys, unless their pretty :$
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 15:30:29 »
I took a keyboarding class in 8th grade.  Recently, I retaught myself to type touch using a new layout.  And I just found a website that taught similar principles.  Then, once I'd gone through all the keys, I forced myself to use it on a daily basis. It was slow going at first, but I got the hang of it eventually.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 15:38:04 »
In third and fourth grade we had to take a typing class. I've been able to touch type since then. It's actually so ingrained in me that I forget that not everyone went through my school and can touch type.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 15:46:54 »
yes. and i just learned how to touch type on my ergodox in a week.  matrix layout took a few days to get use to. that is for sure.

one word always ****s me up though. and because of my job i have to type it a lot.  the word is encryption.  i have to look down everytime i type it. i dont know why.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline reefchief

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 15:59:31 »
Im a self taught touch typer from a life of keyboard weilding. with a nice keyboard im able to type about 110wpm, but I realized I dont use my pinkies as I should and I sometimes cross over my pointer fingers to the wrong keys. Wonder if I would go faster learning to do it right?
QFR TKL Blue / Topre 55g realforce TKL

Offline thestage

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:14:55 »
I need to get blank key caps I always look for the & symbol, even though I know where it is, I just typed it there without looking but it happens.. this is why when I get my custom board rolling no more engraved keys, unless their pretty :$

I'm horrible with ever number key symbol except @ and ().  I basically just blindly mash my fingers around until I get the right one.  But I don't really use them, so I'm not too concerned.

I couldn't touch type for a long time as I kid.  We used to have typing classes in elementary school (and probably middle school?) and I just couldn't do it.  I think I was the worst typist in those classes. But that was a long time ago.  Nowadays, I'm just the worst typist among people who are good at typing.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:34:37 »

Haha. 120 requires a little bit of skill, but literally anyone, including your grandmother, can reach 100.

I see. I think you should change 100 WPM to "Unworthy of a mechanical keyboard".

QQQQ I can't type fast so I'll go and make fun of people who can qqqqq
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:42:13 »

Haha. 120 requires a little bit of skill, but literally anyone, including your grandmother, can reach 100.

I type faster than you with QWERTY, you mad, bro? Stay low, 80 WPM peasant. If I'd cut off my social life and dedicate myself to getting 170 WPM I'd manage that as well, but I won't. Maybe I'd start a blog about typing, maybe I'd go for a 10FF test during my lunch break @ school, but again - I won't.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:52:21 »
I'v been touch typing for a long time. Even though I'm only 18 I can't remember a time where I had to look down at the keyboard to type (maybe 1st grade or something).

I think most of my typing skills developed from using computers so much. I don't have any form of a "correct" typing style (don't use the home row at all).

When I got my first mechanical keyboard I decided to get a blank WASD. From programming I already had the parenthesis, brackets, and semicolon keys committed to muscle memory. My only problem was the numbers row (and their symbols) - I picked up the alpha keys immediately. After using blank keyboards for a few months I think I can safely say that I have gotten better at those pesky number row keys (although they aren't perfect every time yet).

Offline catcradle5

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 17:23:49 »
I've been touch typing in my own sort of way since I was about 8 or 9 or so.

I only use my 3 middle fingers on my left hand, my left thumb, and my index and middle finger on my right hand. (I'm right handed but I use more of my left hand's fingers, for whatever reason.) I don't follow the "home row" style at all, and don't rest my hands in any particular position. I've only ever used QWERTY.

I average about 140 WPM and have gotten up to 180 on typeracer, when I'm really concentrating. For some reason it seems that using fewer fingers lets me type faster, because no fingers ever get in the way of each other. I move my hands, wrists, and fingers pretty rapidly; nothing ever stays in a static position.

Anyone else type in a very unique way while still getting high WPM?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:28:56 »

I type faster than you with QWERTY, you mad, bro? Stay low, 80 WPM peasant. If I'd cut off my social life and dedicate myself to getting 170 WPM I'd manage that as well, but I won't. Maybe I'd start a blog about typing, maybe I'd go for a 10FF test during my lunch break @ school, but again - I won't.

I don't use QWERTY, let's get the dirt off.
Sorry your inferiority complex is so strong. I guess everything I'm better than you at is irrelevant, because you're so cool and have a social life and have friends, which are more important up than having talent. My god, can't you see how pathetic your argument is? Probably not. When you ask yourself why you're not good at anything, just rerread your post, you self-important child.

By the way, you get to 170? Stop disgracing those with actual ability and willingness to practice.

Offline thestage

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:39:59 »
is this thread real life

(answer: no. it's the internet)

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:41:20 »
I've been touch typing in my own sort of way since I was about 8 or 9 or so.

I only use my 3 middle fingers on my left hand, my left thumb, and my index and middle finger on my right hand. (I'm right handed but I use more of my left hand's fingers, for whatever reason.) I don't follow the "home row" style at all, and don't rest my hands in any particular position. I've only ever used QWERTY.

I average about 140 WPM and have gotten up to 180 on typeracer, when I'm really concentrating. For some reason it seems that using fewer fingers lets me type faster, because no fingers ever get in the way of each other. I move my hands, wrists, and fingers pretty rapidly; nothing ever stays in a static position.

Anyone else type in a very unique way while still getting high WPM?

Sounds just like me, except for faster. I can easily average somewhere around 85, but have hit 100+ on typeracer before.

Offline lunr

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:41:58 »
I'm bit in the middle. I can but sometimes I need to do a quick glance on where my keys is. I started using blank caps lately so it helps a bit.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:16:20 »
Yes, although mostly self-taught I did a typing semester at high school.

The teacher was saying "A ... B ... C ... " and I was typing "Z ... Y ... X ..." just because :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:27:17 »

I don't use QWERTY, let's get the dirt off.
Sorry your inferiority complex is so strong. I guess everything I'm better than you at is irrelevant, because you're so cool and have a social life and have friends, which are more important up than having talent. My god, can't you see how pathetic your argument is? Probably not. When you ask yourself why you're not good at anything, just rerread your post, you self-important child.

By the way, you get to 170? Stop disgracing those with actual ability and willingness to practice.

1. I know you don't use QWERTY as of now, but you did once upon a time.
2. Inferiority complex? I'm not the one constantly mentioning my typing speed at every chance I get.
3. We both know Dvorak is better for getting high typing speed and that's the only reason why you might be faster. What's your typing speed at typeracer? I think you mentioned somewhere that you had sub 130, yes?
4."When you ask yourself why you're not good at anything, just rerread your post" Pardon? I've been pretty good at basically everything I've practiced in this lifetime.
5. I think 10FF is irrelevant, so you don't impress me, and if you really think getting 161 WPM on 10FF is about talent, you seriously need to reevaluate your life and stop being ignorant.
6. Can you please stop calling everyone a child? You aren't mature, even though you might think you are.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 20:20:54 »
I started touch typing when I started college about 5 years ago. Used that Mavis Beacon software to learn and after forcing myself to type like that when I was coding I caught on kinda quick and now that's the only way I can type.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:21:58 »
If I'd cut off my social life and dedicate myself to getting 170 WPM I'd manage that as well, but I won't.

like that was a choice!

anyway, yeah i can touch type.

i'd like to thank aol chatrooms in middle school for that.

and yahoo chatrooms.

and vidya games.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:23:47 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:22:58 »
If I'd cut off my social life and dedicate myself to getting 170 WPM I'd manage that as well, but I won't.

like that was a choice!

True, lol.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:35:43 »
Epzy- sad and desperate. I've broken 150 on typeracer, and either way, I'm better than you. Also, Dvorak isn't why I'm fast. You use it at a much slower pace, as we can see. I just have talent.
Good at everything you've done? Now that's childish. Stop trying to brag, it's pathetic.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:39:15 »
lolololololololololololololololol

brb ribs broken from laughter.

anyway, back on topic.

this is why i've never understood the appeal of backlighting on keyboards.

i figured anybody that is that into their keyboard (well at least on gh) already knows how to touch type.. so I dont understand the need for a back light.

Which is another reason why I've gotten over the keycap fad. Out of 100 times, I maybe look down.. twice?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:41:34 by demik »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:40:54 »
I had mandatory typing class in 1st or 2nd grade (~1994). Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

I did a good deed. Ann had a book in bed. Dan ran down Gill Hill.

never looked back. I use 95% standard finger placement, I think. I type Bs with the wrong hand. Also I just recently started learning to touch type numbers and symbols.  It's a lot easier when you're a kid.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:43:06 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:44:20 »
I had mandatory typing class in 1st or 2nd grade (~1994). Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

I did a good deed. Ann had a book in bed. Dan ran down Gill Hill.

never looked back. I use 95% standard finger placement, I think. I type Bs with the wrong hand. Also I just recently started learning to touch type numbers and symbols.  It's a lot easier when you're a kid.

I had a type writing class in middle school. with actual type writers. I did fairly well. It also helped that my gf at the time was the T.A. for the next period :P

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:45:55 »
Epzy- sad and desperate. I've broken 150 on typeracer, and either way, I'm better than you. Also, Dvorak isn't why I'm fast. You use it at a much slower pace, as we can see. I just have talent.
Good at everything you've done? Now that's childish. Stop trying to brag, it's pathetic.

I remember you said you averaged way lower on typeracer than 10FF, so please give me a real number, not a once in a lifetime irrelevant number. You typed 80-90 WPM when you used QWERTY, and then you changed to Dvorak to get fast; stop being ignorant. I use what at a much slower pace? I get 120 WPM a few times everytime I go to typeracer, which is once a week or less. So, I get 120 WPM with next to zero practice; vs you who dedicate your life to typing, starting blogs about it, spending hours upon hours practicing and you only get that typing speed (which I still quite don't know how much is, because you just gave me a random max number instead of what you average on TR). You don't have talent. What you have is a lot of wasted time and energy, and a huge chunk of ignorance. I'm not trying to brag, you just said something utterly retarded and I replied.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:47:22 »
What about Super Mario Bros Typing? That game was sick!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:48:44 »
Also I'm really surprised how many people on here don't touch type. I don't think you can fully enjoy a mechanical keyboard without Dat flow...
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:48:54 »
jwaz... my ears :(

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:58:40 »
jwaz... my ears :(

I know, it's pretty painful.