Author Topic: Plunger Switch Keyboard?  (Read 37864 times)

Offline gameaholic

Plunger Switch Keyboard?
« on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 10:01:29 »
http://usa.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?p=33&g=ftr

Anyone try this?  Also how that new Matias switch? 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Plunger Switch Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 10:24:18 »
This is no different from a standard rubber dome. Many rubber dome keyboards use plungers of all shapes.

The problem with rubber dome is well, the "rubber".  Because it wears out and isn't readily replaceable.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 10:59:05 »
Marketing crap.

Can I hit someone, please!
🍉

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 11:17:18 »
I'm not sure if wearing is actually the problem with rubber dome as I've never had any fail but most people definitely hate the feeling. :)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 11:21:00 »
It's exactly the same plunger design as the i-rocks KR-6260, which I had. Feels like a rubber dome, because it is one.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 13:59:20 »
BTW, they're called slider not plunger.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 14:27:28 »
I don't know Icarium, there's a rubber dome under the slider, so considering the two together, it's pretty plunger-esque.

I hate how they say:
Keyswitch Development Center in Tt eSPORTS is proud to present the latest innovative development in gaming keyboard keyswitch that is capable of delivering incredible 15 million keystrokes of elasticity, and quite audible feedback. Yet, each time you press, you immediately experience that solid, steady key-press response with slight force from your finger tip
(Emphasis mine)
There are so many contradictions here! Sliders over RDOM is an old technology. 15 million keystrokes is hardly "incredible". There's nothing "steady" about the highly non-linear force curve of a RD. Apparently they think it "clicks" like that ebay seller or something, because I don't really get what they mean about "quite audible feedback". I guess it does make a noise when you mash it, and after bottoming out, you'll get a click, but that's just ridiculous, especially considering the following:

KNUCKER gaming keyboard is designed with Plunger Switch technology that simulates key response from a mechanical keyboard, but much quieter and easier to press.
ORLY? I would say that the Cherry Reds in my CMstorm are pretty darn quiet, especially if I go slow, and avoid topping out (I avoid bottoming out as a matter of course with reds). Also, my reds are pretty easy to press....

I think TT is trying to one-up Razer in the "fail" department.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 15:33:31 »
You have to admit that the name "Knucker Plunger" has a real ring to it, especially if you didn't already have associations with the word "plunger" ....

Sounds all modern and punk compared to my archaic "IBM Model F"

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 17:09:03 »
You have to admit that the name "Knucker Plunger" has a real ring to it, especially if you didn't already have associations with the word "plunger" ....

Hmm... sounds more like an advance masturbation technique than key description.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 18:33:21 »
Anyone else here get stuck watching Dragon Tales w/ their kids?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 18:38:19 »
Anyone else here get stuck watching Dragon Tales w/ their kids?
wow great, now i'm going to have that stuck in my head all day. props for PBS :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 19:07:36 »
I'm guessing the keys go knuck, knuck, kunck instead of click and clack?  Maybe?

But it does lead to good lines like:
What the knuck is a plunger keyboard?
Or, if you have issues with it you might have a big knucking problem.
Or if your mom uses it, is it a mother Knucker?

But I've never touched one, so I don't know what the knuck I'm talking about.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 19:33:08 »
-_- What a horrible keyboard...

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 19:54:33 »

But you have the hot rod of keyboards. Like a tricked out Ford Model A.
Nowadays keyboards have weird names (like "Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL", and "Gigabyte Aivia Osmium") and mice look like spaceships. As much as I like Osmium, I'd be as likely to buy the keyboard as the Honda element.

I prefer the old way of naming things.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 02:11:00 »
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 09:32:37 »
According to their force graph, the madcatz keyboard actuates before bottom out. It also says that the operation and reset points are the same on a graph with a large amount of hysterisis (Physically impossible or useless, depending on what they mean). They then compare it to cherry MX blue and brown, but only show the force graph for blue twice. (WTF?)

What is wrong with these people? Their articles' points range from misleading to outright lies and deception. Were I more cynical, I'd find it funny, but now it's just depressing.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 09:44:21 »
I haven't ripped one apart, but I would guess that they rigged it so that the underside of the contact point on the membrane is not backed (empty space) and that the plunger can go past that point, deforming the membrane.  That's if their force graph is to be believes.  Perhaps the stem of the plunger compresses instead?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 10:12:42 »
I think all you actually need is a dome that dips down a bit in the middle, so that contact can be made without the dome being entirely "squished".

Or it could just be complete and utter fiction.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 19:15:11 »
Scissor switches have this (And I believe RD's as well, they just aren't in any way linear like that after activation.

I mean, if they really spent that much time designing their domes to get that kind of force curve, why not just reinvent topre? (So a dome with better polymer used, etc.)