Author Topic: Steelseries Alpha Survey?  (Read 7204 times)

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Steelseries Alpha Survey?
« on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 23:47:46 »
Anyone else get this in their email? It said it's a survery directed at geekhack members. Looks like a ridiculous layout. and WAY overpriced.

Even steelseries steals my gifs! lol
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 October 2012, 23:54:04 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Steelseries Alpha Survey?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 00:17:54 »
I agree with everything u said though my survey was a tad different as it was for mx browns.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 00:42:41 »
Mine was slightly less ugly-- all white backlighting, not multicolored. Cheaper, too...$169.99 instead of $209.99. Still not going on the "potential future purchase list", though, I think...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline stingrae

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 00:51:54 »
Also got one for browns...

Don't know why they are using a non-standard keyboard layout still and quite frankly the price is too high and I dislike $==€. Also the picture looks like a laptop keyboard and it looks like they intend on using a non-standard connector for the cable. Other than that quite a few things were missed like key roll over. At least so far they haven't used polling rate or gold plated excessively on this.

I can't imagine the feedback gained from geekhack was very positive :D.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 00:52:32 »
So I'm guessing they're just sending random variations in keyboards to different people and seeing what ones are more popular?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Steelseries Alpha Survey?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 00:54:58 »
So I'm guessing they're just sending random variations in keyboards to different people and seeing what ones are more popular?
same thing i was thinking due to how the survey was layed out the was like a general section then a section specific to that picture.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Steelseries Alpha Survey?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:00:17 »

I mean... the layout is universally bad.

Dat enter key! Also good thing they fixed that unsightly 4 block of F keys. :D

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:02:34 »
yeah, and the long mods and short shift.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:07:23 »
yeah, and the long mods and short shift.
didnt even notice those.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:07:46 »
They should just make a white backlight 7G problems solved

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:13:46 »
Or a white TKL with a wrist rest attachment like the 7G

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 01:22:26 »
Or a white TKL with a wrist rest attachment like the 7G
i really do like that wrist rest as longvas you have the room its the perfect angle for the keyboard.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 03:15:27 »
The survey I got was for the TKL version with browns. I thought it didn't look too bad and loved the idea of a wrist rest. I swear the price was like a lot cheaper than the full one, or am I going insane?
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 03:59:15 »
This is clearly one of those surveys they outsourced to some psych student with a bachelors degree.

To be honest, I actually poured my keyboarding heart into it, outlining all the concerns I have about what constitutes a truly "NEW/Innovative" keyboard. I hope the rest of you did the same.

Very Glad that Steel Series actually did a survey, because product differentiation must be very difficult in this crowded market.

I suggested, Number pad on the LEFT side of the keyboard. This would be fantastic. Return of the number pad, and you can use your right hand to click, this would be invaluable in heavy data entry use, and excel control. while it would also retain all the benefits of the TKL platform.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 04:24:41 »
This is clearly one of those surveys they outsourced to some psych student with a bachelors degree.

To be honest, I actually poured my keyboarding heart into it, outlining all the concerns I have about what constitutes a truly "NEW/Innovative" keyboard. I hope the rest of you did the same.

Very Glad that Steel Series actually did a survey, because product differentiation must be very difficult in this crowded market.

I suggested, Number pad on the LEFT side of the keyboard. This would be fantastic. Return of the number pad, and you can use your right hand to click, this would be invaluable in heavy data entry use, and excel control. while it would also retain all the benefits of the TKL platform.

I did not get the servery, but a free tip from a gamer(you gaming peripheral companies) a left handed numpad would be nice... As it is used in many games and is kind of a drag to bring my left hand all the way over the right side of the board just to hit "num1"

Just in case none of you gaming companies haven't thought about it yet, something innovative would be macro key-pad on the left side that doubles as a number pad(numpad's got arrows too, hint scroll/movement keys) .
(Sad to say that a lot of you gaming companies are making the same things and giving them new names *cough*Razer*cough*)
They are not the only ones, but with a modo like "For Gamers by Gamers" they don't look like they are trying to satisfy the gamers.

I guess every company likes to milk the money not just gaming peripherals. :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2012, 04:27:34 by TheQsanity »
SmallFry! <3

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 10:20:26 »
I know I was not kind about the full size 110 key white backlight board I got a survey about. I went off about not using ANSI standard and on about how annoying thier bigass enter and displacement of keys from the standard is stressing it as the primary reason I would never buy one of thier keyboards.
I will laugh if I won the 6gv2 for participating thier survey.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2012, 10:23:01 by lysol »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 11:28:01 »
I know I was not kind about the full size 110 key white backlight board I got a survey about. I went off about not using ANSI standard and on about how annoying thier bigass enter and displacement of keys from the standard is stressing it as the primary reason I would never buy one of thier keyboards.
I will laugh if I won the 6gv2 for participating thier survey.

I think it's a waffle..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 11:28:20 »

I did not get the servery, but a free tip from a gamer(you gaming peripheral companies) a left handed numpad would be nice... As it is used in many games and is kind of a drag to bring my left hand all the way over the right side of the board just to hit "num1"

Just in case none of you gaming companies haven't thought about it yet, something innovative would be macro key-pad on the left side that doubles as a number pad(numpad's got arrows too, hint scroll/movement keys) .
(Sad to say that a lot of you gaming companies are making the same things and giving them new names *cough*Razer*cough*)
They are not the only ones, but with a modo like "For Gamers by Gamers" they don't look like they are trying to satisfy the gamers.

I guess every company likes to milk the money not just gaming peripherals. :(

Jumps up and down, yess, yesss, yesss oh... baby...

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 12:14:57 »
I got it, and I have the same problems with it.  I dislike the layout and $210?  What were they thinking...
Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 12:33:12 »
I got it, and I have the same problems with it.  I dislike the layout and $210?  What were they thinking...

Yea man, My survey had $169.99, EVEN then that's ridiculous. At most I'd pay $80 for the gimmicks. I'd pay up to $100 if it were gimmick free.  And if they can confirm that they're using the same quality components as FILCO, such as that High quality PCB. Then I'd pay as high as $150.. But no way in hell would I pay anything above $50 when I could just get the ghetto Costar.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 12:41:07 »
I never got that far in the survey.  It said something like "oh we heard about you - you don't keep your keyboards long enough - sorry end of survey."

LOL, Fail?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 13:04:07 »
seriously though, after I answered the question "Have you worked for a marketing company in the last three years" the survey terminated.
Yea that's how it's supposed to work, because they're under the assumption that a person with marketing experience would instantly recognize the "BS". And therefore would skew the result of the survey.

What this fails to account for is that since ALMOST all GEEKHACKERS are super keyboard experts, we would ALSO see straight through the BS...

Which is why i indicated that the survey must've been made by a college student.  :)) :))  Careless one at that.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 13:18:15 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:15:52 by davkol »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 13:50:57 »
I never got that far in the survey.  It said something like "oh we heard about you - you don't keep your keyboards long enough - sorry end of survey."

LOL, Fail?

Hahahaha, stalkers...
SmallFry! <3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 18:13:00 »
that being said, I hope that I am still in the running for the a SS w/ reds.  I'm not really interested it - just want to use it as trade bait.

I don't understand why people trade keyboards and key caps, this is the most inexpensive hobby I've ever taken up...

Offline ih8

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 21:04:45 »
not sure if anyone mentioned this before but back when I filled it out, under what you dislike most about this keyboard: they won't let you select price

I used to use the old steel series kinzu and picked up the v2 awhile back....also using the siberia v2's. I enjoy the minimalist mice designs. I've also managed to snag all those products at discounted prices so I can't complain.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 22:29:01 »
Probably spent too much time on the survey myself as others probably did, mine was for a 110 backlit keyboard with browns.

The survey almost as terribly as the product I was reviewing, but I do like talking/typing about keyboards.  The keyboard also proves my theory the enter keys will continue to grow at some unknown rate of increase forever.
Erlang your pants off

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 22:29:45 »
Same thing, mine was browns. Filled out the survey, was terrible.
I love Elzy

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:20:11 »
Same thing, mine was browns. Filled out the survey, was terrible.
I had browns too. I hope they don't balk at my lengthy criticisms.

Bytheway, I did notice that in order to get the F-keys spaced like that and the enter key that big, they increased with width of the typing area by a small margin. That's how they can get the mods, and enter key so huge.

Offline theOwlol

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:59:22 »
Why would anyone want that big big Enter key anyway, do they market it somehow?

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 14:08:06 »
I've never understood the "bigass" enter key. Is it for people that like slam is with their fist or something?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:22:18 »
Nope, hands on the WASD-cluster and mouse, them BAM! headbutt the enter-key.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:22:22 »
Psh, they need to make the enter even bigger! Like this one...

2x2units from Cherry 3181.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:25:15 by lysol »

Offline Appeac

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 16:42:17 »
I hope my survey answers were scathing enough to see a good SS keyboard in the future...
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 16:43:22 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:33:59 by esoomenona »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 17:44:27 »
I spoke with the Steelseries keyboard designer at MLG Raleigh and told him to go with an ansi layout and just make a quality keyboard and people would eat it up. Why is that so hard to do?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 20:30:45 »
I think they're trying to cheat so they don't have to make 2 different versions by making a halfway version between ANSI and ISO, which result in a version that's horrible for both users.  But it's true they totally would've done better by making a proper ANSI and ISO versions of this keyboard and slap backlight on it then done.

On a random note, I thought we're not suppose to talk about details from the survey....?  LOL I guess someone jumped the gun.  Though I have to say I poured my heart out when writing the survey, I hope everyone here did the same consider it's something we really care about lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 20:42:13 »
I spoke with the Steelseries keyboard designer at MLG Raleigh and told him to go with an ansi layout and just make a quality keyboard and people would eat it up. Why is that so hard to do?

I don't think Geekhackers are their target market. They might be polling us for some key ideas, but they are catering to kids, specifically, kids with parents who can't stand the constant naggin' to buy sh1t.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 21:31:16 »

I don't think Geekhackers are their target market. They might be polling us for some key ideas, but they are catering to kids, specifically, kids with parents who can't stand the constant naggin' to buy sh1t.
Nice one tp4tissue

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 21:40:16 »
'Choose something you do not like about the Steelseries Alpha'......'Choose something OTHER than the price'
ಠ_ಠ

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 12:55:15 »
that being said, I hope that I am still in the running for the a SS w/ reds.  I'm not really interested it - just want to use it as trade bait.

I don't understand why people trade keyboards and key caps, this is the most inexpensive hobby I've ever taken up...

I guess some people are trying to kick the habit of hording. :D

Or they are on a different budget.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 09:04:33 »

I used to think this is really expensive but now that I think about it, my old hobbies were probably equally expensive.

Some of them includes Master Grade Gundam models, samurai swords replicas (cheaper ones, for display only), used to owe every console out there, also recently acquired a DSLR Camera.  Man anything photography related is superrrr expensive.  So keyboard is not too bad... until I pick up a Topre one day >__>

However for the price SteelSeries listed I'll never buy that keyboard lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Sriracha

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:37:40 »
I would prefer that they made a version with MX Blacks if they could. Also, is it really that hard for them to make keyboards with standard layouts?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 00:45:09 »
I would prefer that they made a version with MX Blacks if they could. Also, is it really that hard for them to make keyboards with standard layouts?
I know for a fact that they are looking for a cheap Chinese factory to produce what they want. Stew Grubbs at Steelseries had me hyped for this but after the survey it looks like the Logitech mechanical will be better.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 00:51:39 »

I used to think this is really expensive but now that I think about it, my old hobbies were probably equally expensive.

Some of them includes Master Grade Gundam models, samurai swords replicas (cheaper ones, for display only), used to owe every console out there, also recently acquired a DSLR Camera.  Man anything photography related is superrrr expensive.  So keyboard is not too bad... until I pick up a Topre one day >__>

However for the price SteelSeries listed I'll never buy that keyboard lol.

Pssssshhht... Master Grade,   Where dem' perfect grades @

Offline tillertow

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 04:51:15 »
That right shift placement is ruining everything...and the price tag ofcourse
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline MechKey

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:07:29 »
Dat enter XD