Author Topic: When dealing with other geekhackers does age matter?  (Read 20829 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
When dealing with other geekhackers does age matter?
« on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:05:55 »
Just an extension from a question in the simple answers thread...

Do you ever consider age when dealing with fellow geekhackers?  ::)

Is it important to know the age of people, especially when dealing in the classifieds/group buys/IC's etc?  8)

Or in general just understand and interacting with people on the forum, does age affect that?

Of course people could always lie :o   <- this wasn't a challenge btw

Let's hear some thoughts!  ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 11:16:21 by SpAmRaY »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: When dealing with other geekhackers does age matter?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:11:02 »
The discussion stemmed from this post in Simple Questions, Simple Answers.

I personally always try and remember how old people are. For example, both jdcarpe and SmallFry "love" (read dislike) when I call everyone kid in the IRC chat. But they dislike it for different reasons. Depending on your age will often determine how people will act and might even explain certain quirks about people.

Just for reference, I tend to interact with the younger crowd on GH and I am a recent college graduate. I think people who frequent IRC know my real age though  :eek:

Offline therecorder

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:11:29 »
OK...  I'm 65...  Does this mean that I get a Senior Citizen Discount on Group Buys ;)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:12:14 »
OK...  I'm 65...  Does this mean that I get a Senior Citizen Discount on Group Buys ;)

hehehe :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:14:44 »
im 12 and what is this

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:21:08 »
im 12 and what is this

You've got some mad beard skills for a 12 year old.

And I guess I honestly have not though a lot about the dealings I have had so far with fellow geekhackers.

I'm in my 30's and tend to forget some of you are in high school still (and there is nothing wrong with that), and perhaps some of you are enjoying retirement!!

I would 'assume' most geekhackers are between 18-30 but I could be way off.

I think my biggest concern is doing $xxx.xx business with a 'kid' for lack of a better term who perhaps gets his money from his mom's purse when she isn't looking. I realize this is the internet and you can be who you want blah blah but for realz people don't be doing deals with Yo Mamma's money.....unless of course she wants a mechanical keyboard. (I actually plan on geting my mother a mechanical keyboard for her birthday.)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:23:20 »
What does it matter to you whether the kid steals money from his mother's purse? The transaction is still valid. The other part is between the child and mother and has nothing to do with you.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:25:17 »
The only time there's an age issue is when there's an issue.  :P

In the US there are legal ramifications to dealing with a minor in financial or contractual terms.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:26:05 »
What does it matter to you whether the kid steals money from his mother's purse? The transaction is still valid. The other part is between the child and mother and has nothing to do with you.

Until the off-duty policeman dad shows up at your door wanting the $500 back because all his kid got was an irritatingly loud keyboard  :o

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:26:41 »
Tym Input here: I once dealt (on eBay) with someone who bought an Xbox game off me and it turned out it was a child who had stolen the money of his father and the father wanted the money back but refused to return the game and was making all sorts of interesting threats which ranged from "Tracking me down" to "Calling the Police" because some how it was my fault.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:27:33 »
Age, in my opinion, has nothing to do with how responsible someone is. For example, TheProfosist has absolutely no control over his GB anymore, yet he is nearly 25(?). Being in high school has its challenges of navigating between sports, extra curriculars, and actual study as most students are in a classroom for 8 hours a day. College students seem to have a bit more freedom due to their schedules. 

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:29:41 »
Tym Input here: I once dealt (on eBay) with someone who bought an Xbox game off me and it turned out it was a child who had stolen the money of his father and the father wanted the money back but refused to return the game and was making all sorts of interesting threats which ranged from "Tracking me down" to "Calling the Police" because some how it was my fault.

Except there is nothing he could do. The deal was done.

Age, in my opinion, has nothing to do with how responsible someone is. For example, TheProfosist has absolutely no control over his GB anymore, yet he is nearly 25(?). Being in high school has its challenges of navigating between sports, extra curriculars, and actual study as most students are in a classroom for 8 hours a day. College students seem to have a bit more freedom due to their schedules. 

I feel like defending people in certain generalities is useless. People are different.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:30:27 »

just wait until 20 credit hours, four labs and a part time job, freedom..meh   ???   I kid...just a little....college is what you make of it and yes its glorious to have some freedom but that is often a double edge sword.

And your right being 'older' does not necessarily equal responsibility, just as being 'younger' does not always mean irresponsible.

I'm just curious if most people even think about, I had not really until now.  8)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:32:08 »
If by "dealing with" you are referring to doing business, then it should not matter too much. People don't change in morality very much.

On the other hand, as an old man, I find that my attitudes, feelings, and passions are very different than they were a few decades ago.

Some things have lost their interest to me, and others have become more important.

Most significantly, I "feel" that the world (ie the human race) has become a much uglier and more cynical place than it was when I was young.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:36:14 »
Most significantly, I "feel" that the world (ie the human race) has become a much uglier and more cynical place than it was when I was young.

Because it's changed or because you actually pay attention now?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:37:57 »
If by "dealing with" you are referring to doing business, then it should not matter too much. People don't change in morality very much.

On the other hand, as an old man, I find that my attitudes, feelings, and passions are very different than they were a few decades ago.

Some things have lost their interest to me, and others have become more important.

At first I was just thinking dealing as in selling things.

But also in general because different generations of people have their own way of thinking about things and saying things.

I often find it hard to relate to other age groups.

And I realize there are other demographics that affect these things besides age, I am mostly just curious!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:40:05 »
I find that I mostly converse well with adults, more than my peers. Just my take though.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:42:54 »
As a general rule I find people under the age of 17 to be less responsible, but this doesn't stop me from dealing with them and it is a very general rule. I just tend to take a few more precautions for example specifying exactly what delivery service I want them to use, and to tell them to make sure they package the item properly. Just like every other rule there are plenty of exceptions and I try my very best to be an exception.

Also, there are of course plenty of people over the age of 17 who are irresponsible aswell.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:44:25 »

Doesn't this pretty much happen to everyone, loss of naivety is part of growing up.

Back on the topic of the OP, of course it matters. I'm not trying to say you should never ever do internet business with a minor... but keep in mind they often don't have a steady income or much real world experience, this makes me very hesitant. Also quite a few of those accused of running scams  have been pretty young. (Again, not saying all... just pointing to a trend.)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:48:45 »

I suspect that it could be because everything these days is way more global, so you frequently have to deal with people outside of your monkeysphere, and the news don't help either. "Back in the day" there was far more human interaction and often it'd be a case of everyone knowing everyone and stores often relying on good service rather than ditching service to cut prices like a lot do these days.
This is, however, just something I think is contributing to what seems to be a rise in cynicism, I don't have anything to actually back it up. I'm not all that old either, so I can't say I know too much from experience.

Edit:
As for the age thing; I think part of the younger people on the 'net are fairly mature for their age, could be because on the internet they often have to interact with older people. But if they interact mostly with people their own age, on Steam and whatnot, then you get the mess that is the comments on everything TF2 related.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:55:29 by vun »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:49:13 »

As far as the media goes, everything is always "in your face" all the time. This, in turn, keeps the populace in a frenzy about everything.

If idiots and goofballs just got ignored, they would probably just crawl back in their holes and not influence anybody.

When my father was a boy, the President of the United States was pretty much confined to a wheelchair and carried on a blatant and obvious affair with his secretary for years on end.

The press ignored this altogether and the vast majority did not have a clue about any of it.

Can you imagine that today?

Now, the press ignores secret political contributions and credit default swaps. What is more harmful to our society as a whole?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:51:03 »
age is only a number :3 :))

but seriously, when i was younger, as in 14, 15 16, i never ever even considered pm-ing or communicating with anyone from the internet. I was always scared of all the **** that could go down on the internet and the fact that people could actually take your money. never revealed any personal information or pictures or stuff..

now on GH, I am close with a handfull of guys on IRC and Skype who know my name and picture...but that's pretty much the extend. waiting until I'm actually accepted into the colleges i want to be accepted to, before i post pictures or anything..
some of my IRL friends in highschool know 'dubsgalore' and can find literally everything i've said here in a second with a google search...so can't be too careful..

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:52:56 »
when i was younger, as in 14, 15 16

Now when you're older, as in 17? :p

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:54:13 »
when i was younger, as in 14, 15 16

Now when you're older, as in 17? :p

exactly haha
joined GH a few days *before* my 17th birthday

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:54:55 »
You never PMed someone till you were 17? Dude, I was selling Runescape gold for money when I was like 8 or 9.
github

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:56:07 »
Age is one factor among many that informs how I deal with people.  If I know someone is 15 and I don't have previous experience with them, I am going to be a lot more cautious than with someone in their 30s.  Making sure things are spelled out and verifying that they have access to money, transportation, etc. become relevant.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:57:09 »
You never PMed someone till you were 17? Dude, I was selling Runescape gold for money when I was like 8 or 9.

* Dubsgalore was cautious about strangers on the internet

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:57:59 »
* Dubsgalore was too cautious about strangers on the internet
FTFY
github

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:58:41 »
Hey Dubs. We're not strangers anymore, right? Come take a ride in my van!

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:59:32 »
* Dubsgalore was too cautious about strangers on the internet
FTFY
indeed
is there candy?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 13:00:17 »
is there candy?

You know it! Free, too.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 13:00:53 »

We didn't have a computer or the internet when I was 8. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 21 :o

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 13:01:37 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 13:01:47 »
im 12 and what is this
Oh no rarar hacked esoom's account!

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 13:02:15 »
is there candy?

You know it! Free, too.

oooo let's go find your puppy!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 13:11:25 »
Show Image

now I know why moose has to travel so much...... :o
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:14:21 by ray4jc »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 14:41:17 »
The only issue that could possibly be of problem is -sexual-

Financially, at worst we're out a hundred bux, w/e, people waste more than that on groceries

There are only 2 confirmed female sightings on GH.... and they both seem quite advanced in age so we're good on the "hitting on female children issue"

And I don't think "boy-predators" usually collect keyboards, because the two hobbies would never mix...  I'd think boy-predators would spend an insane amount of time on "other" ventures, vs collecting keyboards.   

This really wouldn't be the forum where it happens..

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 14:52:44 »
Interesting question that isn't just limited to here.  All forums are a bit different than other interactions, and age can matter a lot less here.

• Posts take time, so thinking, composing, and proofreading can remove some indications of age, or other attributes for that matter
  • Age has no social value on a forum - people can have more or less experience / insight regardless of their age, and due to the above, that can really show in places like this
  • Age is not readily discernible.  Again, due to above, there are no obvious markers of how old someone is, unless they provide them.  (References to school or work, or age-specific limitations or situations, or photos.)

Especially with a focused subject matter, keyboards or otherwise, age can become largely irrelevant.  Which is quite nice, actually.  It (largely) isn't relevant, and a forum can let it stay out of the way unless there is an instance where it is relevant.
CM QFR Green

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 14:55:27 »
I'm halfway through high school ;p

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 14:59:59 »
I don't see it on GH, but on other forums (OCN .... cough.....cough.....), there are a lot of younger (not as mature) people.  I don't care how old you are, but if you act like a child, I will treat you like one.  Some of the younger people I have worked with have been very mature about the way they handle the sale/purchase and about how they treated their hardware.

Edit:  removed rant  ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:45:50 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:16:17 »
I'm halfway through high school ;p

no you're not... you look late 20ish...

I've seen 20 somethings in high school still ;)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:26:47 »
We didn't have a computer or the internet when I was 8. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 21 :o

The 'internet' didn't exist when I was 8, but we did have a computer.  It didn't have "graphics" it had lines and characters.  My first cellphone (and quite a few since) was paid for by my job.  I did however foot it for a pager for a few years.  Get off my LAWN!!!!

The only issue that could possibly be of problem is -sexual-

Count on tp.

Financially, at worst we're out a hundred bux, w/e, people waste more than that on groceries

Uh, waste on groceries?  Groceries are the fruit/veg/meat... do you mean cigarettes, alcohol, junk food and lottery tix?  There actually are people that don't do that, you know.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:27:08 »
Does age matter?  I don't know.  I've found reliable people and clowns of all ages.  I think the habits and behavior of a young person's parents might be a better indicator.  So for all those still living at home, we will need parental profiles before we do business.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:38:54 »
Does age matter?  I don't know.  I've found reliable people and clowns of all ages.  I think the habits and behavior of a young person's parents might be a better indicator.  So for all those still living at home, we will need parental profiles before we do business.

you must be a kid, because only kids would thing that were ever possible to enforce over the internet.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:10:20 »
Its more about maturity level, I think young people can be trusted on geekhack but they have to earn trust, just as people of all ages maturity level needs to be tested.

Honestly I've dealt with some pretty mature young people lately outside of geekhack, it makes me feel bad about myself. I was an immature idiot when i was a teenager up to my early 20's. I wouldn't have done business with me as a teenager, hell no. The career changed me; set me straight.

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:13:14 »
I tend to treat people as I find them..if people can hold a mature and sensible conversation and not behave like idiots then age simply doesn't come into it. If they are selling something like a keycap and send it, again age doesn't seem to make a difference.

I believe a lot of the time you can spot immaturity before you can spot age and the two are not necessarily related.

The only time it might be an issue is if people here are forming a relationship or trying to get one but I am not sure this would be quite the forum for that sort of thing. One some forums I think one would have to be conscious of it but I doubt I am on any of those.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:17:43 »
What's up, Lighthouse?  ;) You, me, and a bottle of wine?

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:21:44 »
Blimey, it is that sort of forum after all!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:25:41 »
Moose, calm down buddy. :P