Author Topic: CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate  (Read 23514 times)

Offline jameslr

CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate
« on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:14:46 »
Looks like CM is putting out a full size backlit board now. The CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate It comes in Blue, White, and Red backlights with Blue, Brown, and Red switch options (respective to backlight colors). Not sure what MSRP on it, but if they beat the Shine Zero - maybe this would be worth getting for an entry level full size.

Gonna be hard to beat the Shine Zero in price though. Still you can never have too many options I guess :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 July 2013, 20:19:26 by jameslr »
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:12:23 »
Still got the same slightly odd bottom row layout thought.

Wonder how big that space bar is?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:31:42 »
x6 spacebar?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:33:51 »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooo I thought they were gonna make CM Storm QuickFire XTS (backlit version of XT).

I wonder if they went for this route to save production cost since most of the design is already done.  Also iOne have been doing backlit boards for a while now while Costar doesn't have too many backlit models.

And the spacebar is probably same size as blackwidow which is 6 units long.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:37:07 »
This is just a fully backlit Quickfire Pro, which, yes, does have the 6x spacebar. I hope they fixed the issue I've had, where the NKRO over USB causes issues with compatibility.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Hyde

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:41:39 »
This is just a fully backlit Quickfire Pro, which, yes, does have the 6x spacebar. I hope they fixed the issue I've had, where the NKRO over USB causes issues with compatibility.

I think that's why it give you the option to toggle between 6KRO and NKRO.  When you're on OS that's not compatible with NKRO (like Mac) then use 6KRO.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:49:50 »
Looks really nice, I like the options of different back lights.  CM is making moves! :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 July 2013, 21:52:03 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 22:22:55 »

I think that's why it give you the option to toggle between 6KRO and NKRO.  When you're on OS that's not compatible with NKRO (like Mac) then use 6KRO.

less you need unix, you don't need mac

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 05:54:34 »
Didn't Carter say that Pro was their last iOne made keyboard? Son, I'm disappoint...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 07:09:55 »
Yeah this board is going in the totally wrong direction. They just stuck LEDs in the pro that nobody liked anyways.  ::)

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 07:11:34 »

Yeah, but I've even had Windows computers where it won't boot with the keyboard installed, which is where I have issues.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Melchior

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 01:51:57 »
I second that; the NKRO mode causes WIERD-ness with the typematic rate - and keys that don't function as expected (insert key locks up).

On Windows 7 no-less...

Luckily it can be forced to 6kro but still... a most unwelcome surprise.
Ducky ONE    |   CM Recon

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 16:57:41 »
Didn't Carter say that Pro was their last iOne made keyboard? Son, I'm disappoint...

Yes, I did make this comment that we would never do a new project with iOne. We technically did not open up new tooling with this item and just refreshed it based upon what our user feedback was. It was never in the plan, but the numbers on QF pro are very tough to ignore.I removed the logos (Pictures havent been updated) and just added in full LED lighting, and new color scheme to follow TK Structure.

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2013, 16:59:36 by Carter »

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 16:58:46 »
Yeah this board is going in the totally wrong direction. They just stuck LEDs in the pro that nobody liked anyways.  ::)

Ha, this is where GH and the real world differ. Quickfire pro was actually the highest selling keyboard in pure RR for CM. Shocking, I know....

We still maintain a very elegant, costar built series that continues to carry the minimalist look (Rapid/Stealth/XT) and more in the future. While we may have an XTS in the future.... I categorize LED lighting towards gamers. Majority of hardcore gamers couldn't careless about which OEM & stabilizers are on the boards.

As always, cant please them all.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 23:39:46 »
Ha, this is where GH and the real world differ. Quickfire pro was actually the highest selling keyboard in pure RR for CM. Shocking, I know....

I think it's because QuickFire Pro is the only keyboard in the line up that offers normal full size layout (no macro keys and not tenkeyless).  So it's only natural that if people want a normal layout they only have this choice.  And in my opinion QuickFire Pro does look better than CM Storm Trigger.  However I suspect that given if both XTS and QuickFire Ultimate exists, XTS will probably sell just as well or even better.

Though I'll agree with you that majority of the people probably won't be able to tell the difference between OEM and stabilizers so it might not be that huge of an issue.

lol yupe GH is a very unique community with strong opinions.  Gonna be pretty hard to please this mass.  :P

But you guys are doing good since CM Storm is one of the very few companies that listen to customer feedbacks, so I say keep going what you're doing lol.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 04:42:29 »
We still maintain a very elegant, costar built series that continues to carry the minimalist look (Rapid/Stealth/XT) and more in the future. While we may have an XTS in the future.... I categorize LED lighting towards gamers. Majority of hardcore gamers couldn't careless about which OEM & stabilizers are on the boards.

Carter, any idea of a backlit MX Green keyboard? I'm probably getting an XT with Green to try it out, but it'd be nice if you offered the Ultimate with it given that you've already put it on another keyboard and it is, as I quote, 'Ultimate'.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 14:29:59 »
I think it's because QuickFire Pro is the only keyboard in the line up that offers normal full size layout (no macro keys and not tenkeyless).  So it's only natural that if people want a normal layout they only have this choice.  And in my opinion QuickFire Pro does look better than CM Storm Trigger.  However I suspect that given if both XTS and QuickFire Ultimate exists, XTS will probably sell just as well or even better.

I bet the XTS sells better to us, but that the QFU still sells better to normal people. Gamers seem to prefer the bling over the minimalist boards. :)

lol yupe GH is a very unique community with strong opinions.  Gonna be pretty hard to please this mass.  :P

But you guys are doing good since CM Storm is one of the very few companies that listen to customer feedbacks, so I say keep going what you're doing lol.

Strongly agree. I really appreciate the effort that CM and its reps put in.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 17:53:36 »

Carter, any idea of a backlit MX Green keyboard? I'm probably getting an XT with Green to try it out, but it'd be nice if you offered the Ultimate with it given that you've already put it on another keyboard and it is, as I quote, 'Ultimate'.

We will have a green TK w/ green backlighting.

For business purposes & series positioning. We will not be pushing greens switches into iOne at this current time.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 08:21:47 »
Any news on clears?

Offline phx

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 08:48:48 »
there is still no high quality Costar boards with full backlight. :\

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 10:09:50 »
Any news on clears?

Delayed, long story but it its at least another 1.5 months out. Trying our best but switch availability changes daily.

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 10:11:31 »

There is a reason for that. LED & costar havent been the best solution for anyone. Not to mention the majority of users who prefer LED have no idea who costar is and would rather not pay a premium.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 10:18:54 »
Any news on clears?

Delayed, long story but it its at least another 1.5 months out. Trying our best but switch availability changes daily.

just buy them from 7bit over at DT ;) :P

Offline phx

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 10:21:49 »

There is a reason for that. LED & costar havent been the best solution for anyone. Not to mention the majority of users who prefer LED have no idea who costar is and would rather not pay a premium.

hmmm very good point.
Never knew Costar is more expensive. At least I still have the QFR to throw all my money at... still patiently waiting for QFR with clears.

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 12:06:44 »
First post here...

Quick background.. I had been using a Unicomp for quite a while, but recently got back into gaming.  The 2KRO was somewhat of a surprise to me (not being a keyboard junkie) and it wasn't working for me with games.  I looked around, and found the QF Pro on sale after rebate for $59.  I thought the browns would be a good choice for gaming (but clears would have been better).

I really like the QF Pro, but I miss the super clicky BS switches, and the partial backlight annoys me more than I thought.  When gaming, I really don't need the gaming cluster lit, but rather everything that's not lit.  I always have trouble finding the 6, 7, and other keys right of the gaming cluster, since you have to lift your hand to hit them.  But, overall, I've very happy with it, especially for the price.

Ideally, I'd want a QF Ultimate with the Cherry MX Green switches wtih full RGB backlight and separate volume/mute controls.  Seeing as that won't happen, the next best would be a green QF Ultimate with green LED.  And knowing that won't happen, well, I'll have to keep my eye out for a full 104 key mx green keyboard with nkro and full backlighting.

Edit: after a bit more research, the XTS with greens looks like it'll have green backlight.  That could be the keyboard for me.  6KRO should be enough, as it's more than 2KRO which wasn't working for me.  I like the browns, but I miss my superflossed Unicomp.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:15:12 by oryan_dunn »

Offline Riddixk51PB

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 18:10:13 »
Carter, any idea when the CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate will be available at retailers?
KBD: CM Storm QuickFire Pro, Cherry MX Brown
Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD (Avago ADNS-9800 High-Performance LaserStream™)

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 18:52:25 »
Carter, any idea when the CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate will be available at retailers?

Red switches will be hitting as soon as next week. Followed by Brown & Blue a couple weeks after.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:29:20 »
Carter do you think you guys will ever try whites?

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:15:26 »

Honestly, I have a white board and find it identical in feeling to greens. They are slightly cheaper but harder to get.... From business stand point, its one or the other, and usually availability wins.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:51:17 »

Honestly, I have a white board and find it identical in feeling to greens. They are slightly cheaper but harder to get.... From business stand point, its one or the other, and usually availability wins.

Curious what board do you have?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 06:10:34 »
This looks just like the Pros.
SmallFry! <3

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 06:55:09 »
This looks just like the Pros.

It is the pro just with backlighting.

Offline jadow

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 09:47:07 »
just wondering. Would any1 be interested in duplicating the PCB and selling it ? bec I have a quickfire pro and would love to convert it to a full backlight.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 16:21:24 »
just wondering. Would any1 be interested in duplicating the PCB and selling it ? bec I have a quickfire pro and would love to convert it to a full backlight.

You'd probably be up against copyright issues if you tried to copy a commercial keyboard PCB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 20:09:56 »

You'd probably be up against copyright issues if you tried to copy a commercial keyboard PCB.

Maybe just match the mounting holes?

Offline jadow

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 03:34:29 »

True and the niche would be very small. I am just exploring the possibility.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 04:47:34 »

Why would you want to replicate a coolermaster PCB?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline jadow

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 06:18:28 »

Bec im using a quickfire pro .I would hope to re-use the same plate, casing and keys. And maybe the electrical components too.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 08:17:58 »

Bec im using a quickfire pro .I would hope to re-use the same plate, casing and keys. And maybe the electrical components too.

If you just want backlighting it'd be cheaper to buy the new backlit version.

Offline jadow

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 08:36:07 »
true. I could just buy another a blue key red backlight.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 10:51:47 »
I want to give a big "Thanks" to Carter for being in here. I have a Quick-Fire and its worked very well. I'll be watching the CM plans for future boards.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 19:31:39 »
I want to give a big "Thanks" to Carter for being in here. I have a Quick-Fire and its worked very well. I'll be watching the CM plans for future boards.

+1

And Rajiv too :)