Author Topic: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards  (Read 100662 times)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 00:51:09 »
Good eye on the arrows, korrelate.  I hadn't noticed that.  Maybe a conscious decision to make reaching for the arrows a little less strenuous on the wrists?

Offline Topre

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 00:58:47 »
The spacing on the arrow keys and alpha cluster seems pretty normal to me. There is a larger gap between the keycaps and the keyboard frame at the navigation cluster.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 01:27:38 »
My problem isn't that clears take a little extra work, and some know-how to get. It's that they called them ultra-rare. They could have put "little know and hard to find Cherry MX switches" and not had to sensationalize the thing. So your average guy doesn't know about them, but you don't need to delude him into thinking he can own one of oNLY 300 KEYBOARDS IN THE ALL THE WORLD WITH CLEAR SWITCHES

because if they don't already know what clear switches are, then advertising that they're clear switching without explaining the difference doesn't help you sell 'em unless you sensationalize. Instead of trying to eliminate some ignorance, they're just propogating it, and profitting off of it.

Honestly, meh. They can do what they want. I personally love WASD and I have a V2 at home that I cherish. But this type of advertising makes me uncomfortable.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 01:28:18 »
It definitely reminds one of Razer marketing, that's for sure.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 02:20:53 »
I think MANY people will be quite disappointed with this keyboard... 80g clear is quite heavy for most n00ber typists.

And since most people have bad technique where they tend to use "resting" strokes, typing solely with the force of their fingers rather than the quick strike method using the weight of one's arms (typewriters)..

80g is going to be tiresome...

And given that to ergomod a keyboard is too much freakin work for most people... 

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 05:34:24 »
qtan's a good guy by all accounts.

I just cannot get over how insane people are going over this keyboard. Nothing about it is rare. Nothing about it is that special. It is an OEM'd board with some minor features. This does not make it the holy &*%#ing grail of input devices. This is not the second coming of the Model F, nor is it made from the purest of unicorn bones. All in all the overall specs and pricetag are mediocre at best.

I mean seriously. Backlit keyboard with MX Clears (which aren't rare) - you can go get a Ducky Shine III which has media keys in the same location, you know. And more than one kind of switch, too! DK9008G2 Pro will last a typical programmer much much longer, especially since, you guessed it, MORE SWITCHES.
All in all this seems like a marketing effort based in ignorance attempting to elevate the MX Clear to "ultra-rare" status and pretend nothing else is right for typists, much in the way the MX Red handling has been done with gamers.

Don't get me wrong - I don't see any reason to not believe it's a quality board. And if you're a Colemak user, why wouldn't you buy it?
But the half-truths are just insulting to intelligence. And the attempt to elevate Clears as the new god-switch to replace MX Reds when WASD can't even get Greens is so beyond misguided it's not funny. (And forget Dark Greys.) Sell the damn thing on it's genuinely unique qualities without lying about them. Is that so hard?
Not to mention, it's not like Jeff Atwood is more than an over-blown ego. Did you know he basically stole his 'mini servers' from me? It's true. He built them in October, 2012 - a year and two months after I released the reference design and parts details for my much more popular VMware focused BabyDragon II - check the date. BabyDragon II was introduced formally September 19, 2011. Jeff built his exactly to specifications in October, 2012, using the exact same recommended parts (but the wrong chassis - you're supposed to use the 5017C-TF barebones or CSE-512F-350B (alternatively CSE-113MTQ-330CB, 813MTQ-350C, etc.) Due credit for building them without starting a fire, but the design originates with yours truly and remains one of the most popular VMware and HyperV lab systems in the world.

So yeah. You'll forgive me if I state that someone who's system knowledge is largely cribbed or swiped from others, and has such a massive ego as to think he designed the perfect keyboard (which has already been available) and therefore can dictate to the world from his soapbox what is best for programmers. He started two mildly successful web ventures - so what. This makes him an expert in keyboards? Uh. No.

Judge the keyboard by it's merits. Not by the ego-fueled delusions of one man.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 05:34:43 »
Apart from the arrows being slightly closer (at least in comparison to my Model M) I quite like this board (particularly the TKL version).

Now, when is someone going to make one with a yellow back plate and yellow LEDs? ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dante

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:24:24 »
I think MANY people will be quite disappointed with this keyboard... 80g clear is quite heavy for most n00ber typists.

And since most people have bad technique where they tend to use "resting" strokes, typing solely with the force of their fingers rather than the quick strike method using the weight of one's arms (typewriters)..

And given that to ergomod a keyboard is too much freakin work for most people... 

Show Image

Actuation force is 55g...

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:44:56 »
rootwyrm

I think we're in agreement here even if we're in the minority.

This is a nice keyboard, but it's all hyped. Nothing is that groundbreaking. Everything has been done before.

I know these guys are fully within their legal rights to hype all they want. Just as it is fully within our legal rights to ignore their hype and not buy. They're trying to sell to the general population, which is more ignorant than us. It's better to sell 1000 keyboards to the masses, than 50 to the geekhackers.

qtan's a good guy by all accounts.

I just cannot get over how insane people are going over this keyboard. Nothing about it is rare. Nothing about it is that special. It is an OEM'd board with some minor features. This does not make it the holy &*%#ing grail of input devices. This is not the second coming of the Model F, nor is it made from the purest of unicorn bones. All in all the overall specs and pricetag are mediocre at best.

I mean seriously. Backlit keyboard with MX Clears (which aren't rare) - you can go get a Ducky Shine III which has media keys in the same location, you know. And more than one kind of switch, too! DK9008G2 Pro will last a typical programmer much much longer, especially since, you guessed it, MORE SWITCHES.
All in all this seems like a marketing effort based in ignorance attempting to elevate the MX Clear to "ultra-rare" status and pretend nothing else is right for typists, much in the way the MX Red handling has been done with gamers.

Don't get me wrong - I don't see any reason to not believe it's a quality board. And if you're a Colemak user, why wouldn't you buy it?
But the half-truths are just insulting to intelligence. And the attempt to elevate Clears as the new god-switch to replace MX Reds when WASD can't even get Greens is so beyond misguided it's not funny. (And forget Dark Greys.) Sell the damn thing on it's genuinely unique qualities without lying about them. Is that so hard?
Not to mention, it's not like Jeff Atwood is more than an over-blown ego. Did you know he basically stole his 'mini servers' from me? It's true. He built them in October, 2012 - a year and two months after I released the reference design and parts details for my much more popular VMware focused BabyDragon II - check the date. BabyDragon II was introduced formally September 19, 2011. Jeff built his exactly to specifications in October, 2012, using the exact same recommended parts (but the wrong chassis - you're supposed to use the 5017C-TF barebones or CSE-512F-350B (alternatively CSE-113MTQ-330CB, 813MTQ-350C, etc.) Due credit for building them without starting a fire, but the design originates with yours truly and remains one of the most popular VMware and HyperV lab systems in the world.

So yeah. You'll forgive me if I state that someone who's system knowledge is largely cribbed or swiped from others, and has such a massive ego as to think he designed the perfect keyboard (which has already been available) and therefore can dictate to the world from his soapbox what is best for programmers. He started two mildly successful web ventures - so what. This makes him an expert in keyboards? Uh. No.

Judge the keyboard by it's merits. Not by the ego-fueled delusions of one man.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline mapple

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:54:09 »
if only this one could be made 87keys on cherry mx blue with white backlight...............................................
In God We Trust

Offline Larken

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:59:26 »
I don't doubt the quality or thought put into the 'features', but its' basically a normal keyboard with backlight, and slightly altered aesthetics which does nothing for actual ergonomics.  It looks like a rather nice board with nifty features for those who need them, but it's hardly anything new or revolutionary. Aesthetics are pretty nice. Reminds me of the feenix autore - but aesthetics are simply aesthetics.

Dip switches? Any of the Topre boards, and a few MX boards already out there.

MX Clears? It's just a switch, not ultra rare, and not that great a switch in the first place imo. Not without modding.

Backlight? I imagine someone who actually uses his/her keyboard for a living would know how to touch type. *rolls eyes*

The use of micro USB is however, a welcome change. Still, not exactly rocket science.

I wouldn't call it 'creating or even building a keyboard'. I call it 'requesting for features', features that had already been done from all over the place.

Pales in comparison to most of the creations at geekhack.

The upside is that it isn't exactly much more expensive than what a filco would have gone for in the past, though in view of what's on the market right now, it seems a little pricey. The quality does seem to be present, at least in theory. Smacks more of an exercise in marketing.

the comments on this article did give me a few laughs :)) http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/27/stackoverflow-co-founder-jeff-atwood-builds-a-150-keyboard-for-coders-and-others-who-type-all-day/

No offense to Atwood (I've never heard of him till this thread), but its strange how a keyboard that had already been 'invented' several times over is now a news-worthy item.

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 07:01:37 »

Show Image

Actuation force is 55g...

Only once you get to the actuation point.  To get there, there's a ~65cN bump you need to overcome, so for all purposes, actuation takes more like 65cN.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline parabum

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 07:56:18 »
the comments on this article did give me a few laughs :)) http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/27/stackoverflow-co-founder-jeff-atwood-builds-a-150-keyboard-for-coders-and-others-who-type-all-day/

I second that. 1 year ago and I might have echoed what some of jokers are saying! 150 USD on a keyboard, really?  ;D

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 08:44:45 »
I think the price is good for a backlit filco with clears. :)
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline phx

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:02:49 »
I think this is the only back-lit keyboard with Costar stabilizers. (that has standards layout and looks clean)
or am I wrong?

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:03:22 »
Is it difficult to get used to use clears if I've began using keyboard with brown switches but thinking of buying another one keyboard for work with clears?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:08:58 »
Clears are not all that bad. You just have to break yourself of the habit of bottoming out, otherwise they will tire you out.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:10:44 »
Clears are not all that bad. You just have to break yourself of the habit of bottoming out, otherwise they will tire you out.
hm.... I don't think they will tire me out... but I'm affraid that it will be annoing to use different switches or maybe I'm wrong?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:13:17 »
I would prefer slightly lighter switches for heavy typing purposes, but for general home use like periodic typing, games, browsing the web, I love stock Clears.

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:15:52 »
hm.... I don't think they will tire me out... but I'm affraid that it will be annoing to use different switches or maybe I'm wrong?
Not if you use different switches for different activitys. For example Browns for gaming and Blues for typing.
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:16:21 »
I would prefer slightly lighter switches for heavy typing purposes, but for general home use like periodic typing, games, browsing the web, I love stock Clears.

But when you code sometimes you need to put all your rage to it  :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:18:55 »
I think I could code on Clears.  At least on Ducky Shine Clears (maybe this WASD will feel similar).  I find the softer transparent (coated in black) caps feel great with Clears.  They add an extra feeling of a cushion.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:22:25 »
I think I could code on Clears.  At least on Ducky Shine Clears (maybe this WASD will feel similar).  I find the softer transparent (coated in black) caps feel great with Clears.  They add an extra feeling of a cushion.

I'm interested in someone doing a comparison, I keep hearing that ducky boards with clears feel different than others.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:25:03 »
Well when I swapped my Filco TKL to ergo-Clears, they felt entirely different.  I've swapped 62g springs to stock springs for a bit on a few keys, and they still felt very different.  It's a large function of keycaps (I am using thick dye sub PBT on the Filco), but also I think having LEDs through the switches adds an extra bit of rigidity, which is good for Clears, as they have such a large wobbly bump.  Anyway, didn't like my Filco with Clears so I swapped them to vintage Blacks with lighter springs.  But LOVE the Clears on my Ducky Shine II.  They feel perfect, extremely solid, and very cushiony.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:28:52 »
I code daily on stock clears. Clears aren't necessarily the fastest, but they are comfortable. Since coding doesn't really involve long stretches of typing at a time they don't really tire me out.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:36:00 »
I code daily on stock clears. Clears aren't necessarily the fastest, but they are comfortable. Since coding doesn't really involve long stretches of typing at a time they don't really tire me out.
yes, that's why I'm thinking of using browns at home and buying clears for work. But there is no so many options to buy especially if you want TKL version =)

Offline dante

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:16:23 »
This thread has a large number of butt-hurt people...

"Clears are not rare"   Actually they are!

Ok, who's got them?

Leopold FC200R: Out of Production for two years.  TKL only. Non-standard spacebar. Cherry stabs (some might not like them).
Keycool 87: Out of Production for three years. TKL only. Non-standard spacebar. Asia market only.
Cherry G80-3000LQCEU: Out of Production.  Not TKL.  Some Non-standard caps. Cherry stabs (some might not like them.) Price average $140-$160 on Taobao when it pops up. Quality not the greatest...
CM Storm ???: Rumored months ago and reps refuse to provide an update.
Leopold FC660M: In production, have to order through qtan because EK doesn't stock it.  60% only. Non-standard spacebar. Cherry stabilizers (some might not like them).  EK will probably give you a middle finger if you try to send it to them for warranty work.
Deck Legend: In Production, no TKL format, Cherry stabilizers (some might not like them), Ugly font, Terrible light bleed, Non-standard spacebar.
Ducky: Somewhat in production - no reliable inventory, no TKL format, Cherry stabilizers (some might not like them).

I'm sorry - am I missing someone? For a second there I thought Cherry Clears were common...

"But it's too expensive!"

Do what I do: Put $X into your paypal account per week until you can afford it.  You know, like people used to do.

It seems like people have no problem with paying $150 for a Filco that brings nothing to the table (no features, and especially NO Clears) and TERRIBLE quality keycaps and yet people rake this over the coals.

Seriously?

Note: I don't know anything about the guy that WASD teamed up with to make this, but it seems terribly ignorant to completely dismiss this board because you don't like their personality... (Grade school much?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:19:48 by dante »

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:24:17 »
Thought oh what the heck I'll give it a shot, I can even go and collect it in person.

Out of stock until 9/26... thank you Jeff Atwood's blog post :(

[)amien

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:35:11 »
Thought oh what the heck I'll give it a shot, I can even go and collect it in person.

Out of stock until 9/26... thank you Jeff Atwood's blog post :(

[)amien

Think of all the new people trying good quality mechanical keyboards for the first time.  The community continues to grow...   :cool:

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:48:18 »
WASD is gonna boom after this, that's for sure.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:49:11 »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:01:53 »
Think of all the new people trying good quality mechanical keyboards for the first time.  The community continues to grow...   :cool:

Yup.  There is an email thread about the CODE at my workplace this morning on our tech mail list.  If there's going to be a "mainstream" mechanical keyboard for programmers, better this one than something hideous from Razer.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:34:20 »
WASD is gonna boom after this, that's for sure.

They deserve it im happy they are doing so well.  They have stepped up their design with the new keyboards I'm really impressed.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:52:32 »
The TKL looks nice, but meh. I wouldn't buy it. Not for me.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 15:03:33 »
I don't get the fashion for keyboard cases with sharpish corners. They get really annoying (at least, to me, with my typing style) if you try and use the keyboard without a wrist rest, and offer no benefit in return (well, unless you're using your keyboard as a weapon, I suppose).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline divito

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:37:02 »
Super clean, standard layout. Curious over Clears, but we'll have to see.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:14:10 »

Ok, who's got them?
What is NOT rare is a keyboard with the EXACT SAME SPECS as the WASD Code.
There is the Ducky Shine II -- and I can even get that in Nordic layout with a keycap font that does not suck. Deck's keyboards with Clears were also full-sized and had backlighting.

I am a bit frustrated about keyboards with Clears. I have heard a few product announcement by now, got excited ... and then disappointed.
When Ducky had made their announcement a year or so ago. I had hoped to get a G2Pro TLK with Clears and PBT keycaps, but no.. instead they made the Shine keyboards, and keyboards with Clears only on some keys and Browns on the rest.

Finding a tenkeyless keyboard with Clears and GOOD opaque keycaps is impossible. I had to build myself a custom DIY keyboard to get one. I think my next keyboard is also going to be custom...
There is a small chance that I would buy a bare WASD v2, but it is a bit late and a bit overpriced (even if I don't count overseas s/h and customs), but I already have the parts for a second TKL with Clears. (I had even bought the caps from WASD, when the old keycap designer was available...)

At first, maybe. Several people here that have got Clears have been expressed their disappointment when trying it out for the first time ... and then retracted their earlier statement after having used it for a week.
Every switch takes some time to get accustomed to. Once you have learned how to type on Clears, you will appreciate that the high resistance right after the actuation point will prevent you from bottoming out. Then you will no longer think of them as being particularly stiff.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:30:46 by Findecanor »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:50:26 »
Considering that most rubber domes are in the 60-70+g range, Clears are not that heavy.  I had a tougher time typing on my OH's old rubber dome Logitech (75g in nickels) than his current Ducky with Clears.

Offline Obakemono

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:54:01 »
If they really wanted to make some special board, the should be offering MX clear with different spring options, that would be some really nice improvement  :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:46:59 by Obakemono »

Offline dante

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:05:48 »

Ok, who's got them?
There is the Ducky Shine II -- and I can even get that in Nordic layout with a keycap font that does not suck. Deck's keyboards with Clears were also full-sized and had backlighting.

I am a bit frustrated about keyboards with Clears. I have heard a few product announcement by now, got excited ... and then disappointed.
When Ducky had made their announcement a year or so ago. I had hoped to get a G2Pro TLK with Clears and PBT keycaps, but no.. instead they made the Shine keyboards, and keyboards with Clears only on some keys and Browns on the rest.

Finding a tenkeyless keyboard with Clears and GOOD opaque keycaps is impossible. I had to build myself a custom DIY keyboard to get one. I think my next keyboard is also going to be custom...
There is a small chance that I would buy a bare WASD v2, but it is a bit late and a bit overpriced (even if I don't count overseas s/h and customs), but I already have the parts for a second TKL with Clears. (I had even bought the caps from WASD, when the old keycap designer was available...)

I didn't know the Ducky Shine 2 had Colemak/Dvorak built-in, or Costar stabilizers, or Microusb, or lower profile, etc. etc. etc.

Geekhack is the most polar site I've ever seen.  Either you guys want elite customs made by Korean virgins or some poverty spec recycling from a drug bust.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:15:39 »
Geekhack is the most polar site I've ever seen.  Either you guys want elite customs made by Korean virgins or some poverty spec recycling from a drug bust.

Heh heh heh!   Too danged true, mate!

Keyboards made in sterile NASA labs or bludged-together units made of Play-Doh and Legos. 

:p  :p  :p

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:21:53 »

Ok, who's got them?

I didn't know the Ducky Shine 2 had Colemak/Dvorak built-in, or Costar stabilizers, or Microusb, or lower profile, etc. etc. etc.

That's signature material :)

Also Ducky Shine are Really good keyboards, but most of their features are different backlight modes.  Take that away, and you have a basic backlit keyboard with media keys.  But they easily coat close to $150.  What has Shine 3 brought to the table over its predecessor?: more lighting (cosmetic) modes.  That's about it.  If Shine 3 can cost close to $150, what is wrong with the WASD Code being $150 with the same basic features AND pre-programmed layout options on top?

And regarding Whites, I'm guessing Clears are more universally appealing, and Whites have a high probability of non-uniformly clicky switches, so a possible fault factor.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:24:21 by Photoelectric »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:22:40 »
If they really wanted to put "ultra rare" productions switches on it, they should have put in some MX Whites (Milk)!

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:44:23 »
I haven't tried out a cherry MX clear keyboard yet... are they any good in terms of gaming? I play SC2 mostly. Considering I love the feel of mx browns, would these feel similar or is the tactile bump more noticable compared to browns?
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline Cafeine

• GeekZone
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:50:40 »
I haven't tried out a cherry MX clear keyboard yet... are they any good in terms of gaming? I play SC2 mostly. Considering I love the feel of mx browns, would these feel similar or is the tactile bump more noticable compared to browns?

Seems it's the same feeling, stronger bump, stronger activation force, less "grainy". So sounds perfect for a Topre lover like me. Ordered a Leopold FC660M Grey / MX Clear from Qtang (and other stuff... bought 3 KB this week, my bank should call anytime now...). I have many KB / Switch to compare now so we'll see. And I love the design of this Code so I may end up getting one too if I like MX Clears. I decided to assume my KB like my wife assume her shoes. ;)
Own : HHKB Type-S | Leopold FC660C (x2 - 1st Gen & 2014 silenced) | RealForce 87U TKL (55g uniform) | RF 23U | Minila Air MX Blue
Sold : RealForce 88UB 45g | Leopold FC660M (MX Clear) | Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown) |  KeyCool 84 (MX Black) | CodeKeyboard TKL (MX Clear)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 21:03:36 »
If they really wanted to put "ultra rare" productions switches on it, they should have put in some MX Whites (Milk)!

Racist...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 21:54:34 »
I see no contradiction here. We scavenge the smooth vintage key switches from old recycled keyboards to put into our Korean customs.  :cool:

I had a tougher time typing on my OH's old rubber dome Logitech (75g in nickels) than his current Ducky with Clears.
I find my 45g Topre to be heavier than my Clears. You have to count the entire force graph. With rubber domes, you have to bottom out. You press Clears only pass the bump, a little bit after half way down.

You don't get a backlit keyboard if you are going to use anything but the layout that is on the keycaps...
Cherry or Costar stabilisers don't matter if you are not bottoming out, which you don't do that often on Clears.

I'll give you Micro-USB though. I'm borrowing that very good idea by WASD's to rebuild my Phantom to use Micro-USB, and I will also put it into my custom ErgoDox.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:01:25 »
I'll give you Micro-USB though. I'm borrowing that very good idea by WASD's to rebuild my Phantom to use Micro-USB, and I will also put it into my custom ErgoDox.

Sigh.

No, no you won't. Because hey guess what? The Ducky DK9008G2 Pro? Is MicroUSB. Shine3 too. Oopsie. (Oh, and they both come in MX Clear. Or the actually rare MX Dark Grey on the 9008G2Pro PBT.)

As I said: the only material difference is the Colemak/Dvorak. Otherwise? Mmyup.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline jabar

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:04:42 »
You don't get a backlit keyboard if you are going to use anything but the layout that is on the keycaps...
but... but... Hevletica! on ULTRA RARE ABS keycaps!

yeah sure you can get a Topre Type Heaven for about the same price but COLEMAK DIP! That totally makes it worth it!
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:05:28 »

Sigh.

No, no you won't. Because hey guess what? The Ducky DK9008G2 Pro? Is MicroUSB. Shine3 too. Oopsie. (Oh, and they both come in MX Clear. Or the actually rare MX Dark Grey on the 9008G2Pro PBT.)

As I said: the only material difference is the Colemak/Dvorak. Otherwise? Mmyup.

I still have not seen a shine 3 with clears.