Author Topic: What is gaming on an ergodox like?  (Read 16054 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
What is gaming on an ergodox like?
« on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:06:26 »
Just wondering from ergodox owners what is it like to game on one? Is it a odd?

Does it affect your gaming? Does it cause any hindrance at all to your gaming?

And would you prefer to use a Regular keyboard for gaming?

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
Re: What is gaming on an ergodox like?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:17:11 »
Very interested in how you copy, its been my main reason not getting an ergodox.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:40:39 »
Prefer gaming on an ErgoDox. WASD is more natural as the W lines up with the S. Also, the space bar is in a better position and more ergonomic.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:41:24 »
The only odd thing is anytime you have to hit keys that are on the right hand side. It is a tad bit cumbersome.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:45:07 »
if you take advantage of using multiple layers (like more than 3!) and utilizing the extra 1.5 and 2x keys to activate those layers, using all 12 F keys and all 10 numeric keys is actually faster than if you had a normal keyboard because all of it is on one hand. but you have to be the type of person that is fast at doing key combinations with one hand. I've been meaning to adjust my layout for months now for gaming, i actually don't have my F7-F12 mapped to my left hand, i do have all 10 numbers though (i did that for starcraft). I use the second 2x key as my Layer2 key.

as daerid said, the WASD and space bar feels more natural, its comfortable.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:48:34 »
Prefer gaming on an ErgoDox. WASD is more natural as the W lines up with the S. Also, the space bar is in a better position and more ergonomic.

God, Now i feel in a huge tug of war between The ergodox and the Realforce 87u..

Topre or ergodox..Gah! Why must i be so cursed with these options!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:50:27 by Air tree »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:01:49 »
God, Now i feel in a huge tug of war between The ergodox and the Realforce 87u..

If you get the Topre, maybe it'll impress you with its cup rubber. But tactile switches, Topre included, are not good for gaming. Just typing.
If you get the Ergodox, you know that it will improve your ergonomics significantly, be great for typing (tp can type at nearly my speed on his Dox and he doesn't like a madman), and with a choice of linear/tactile/clicky switches.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:10:07 »

If you get the Topre, maybe it'll impress you with its cup rubber. But tactile switches, Topre included, are not good for gaming. Just typing.
If you get the Ergodox, you know that it will improve your ergonomics significantly, be great for typing (tp can type at nearly my speed on his Dox and he doesn't like a madman), and with a choice of linear/tactile/clicky switches.

How is the resale value of a Ergodox?

And if i go with the ergo dox i will put in some Ergo clears, Those sound yummy  ^-^

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:20:24 »

And if i go with the ergo dox i will put in some Ergo clears, Those sound yummy  ^-^

:D The resale value is generally quite good, I remember last week there was one with Ergo Clears for $250 sold pretty quickly. My mother has finally realized that with the typing I do, it would be good to get an ergonomic board, but that was a bit after the fact. I'd really like to try out ergo clears actually, and clears if I like them more than blues, spamray is being a boss and sending me a few for free.

Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:48:01 »

:D The resale value is generally quite good, I remember last week there was one with Ergo Clears for $250 sold pretty quickly. My mother has finally realized that with the typing I do, it would be good to get an ergonomic board, but that was a bit after the fact. I'd really like to try out ergo clears actually, and clears if I like them more than blues, spamray is being a boss and sending me a few for free.

Hmm now i just need to find this case, Or a wooden grain type looking one at least.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:52:53 »

Hmm now i just need to find this case, Or a wooden grain type looking one at least.
Show Image

its not something you buy actually, its something you have to make or get made.

i think that was the version of Larken's ergodox before it had actual wood, i think that case is just clear acrylic with wood grain vinyl on it. you can buy wood grain vinyl at places like http://www.metrorestyling.com/ .

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:57:01 »

Show Image

i think that was the version of Larken's ergodox before it had actual wood, i think that case is just clear acrylic with wood grain vinyl on it. you can buy wood grain vinyl at places like http://www.metrorestyling.com/ .
Do you have any idea where i could find someone to make a woodcases like that? Not just wood grain vinyl.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:05:57 »

Show Image

Do you have any idea where i could find someone to make a woodcases like that? Not just wood grain vinyl.

That i can't answer, the only person to get real-wooden layers laser cut for the ergodox was Larken. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47734.msg1057604#msg1057604

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:08:33 »
Just wondering from ergodox owners what is it like to game on one? Is it a odd?

Does it affect your gaming? Does it cause any hindrance at all to your gaming?

And would you prefer to use a Regular keyboard for gaming?

Love it. Way better than on a normal board. The matrix is great for frst (esdf on qwerty, I don't recommend wasd on the edox) and the thumb keys/layers are nice for games that can use macros and stuff.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:17:36 »
I'll second gaming with ESDF. The beauty is that you can program a "gaming" layer that just shifts everything over one key to the right so you can rest your fingers on ESDF but still have it register as WASD so you don't have to go remap all your games.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:32:29 »
I'll second gaming with ESDF. The beauty is that you can program a "gaming" layer that just shifts everything over one key to the right so you can rest your fingers on ESDF but still have it register as WASD so you don't have to go remap all your games.
Even so most games have re-programmable keys so that's not a huge problem anyways.

And if i don't want to put in the work and or price to get a fully wooden case, where do i get full hand cases for the ergodox?
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:10:35 by Air tree »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:31:09 »
That may take you some time, you may want to post in the classifieds a WTB looking for a full hand case, or any case in general, we do have people here that will cut cases--the person who has the most options, MOZ, is a bit busy though. All i have to say is if you do get full hand, get a matted surface top for it, either frost, black, or white(milk). glossy acrylic on the full hand is a huge fingerprint/lint/grease magnet and in my opinion is ugly (sorry guys, you know its true though)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:32:44 »

why didn't i think of that!? I wanted to try ESDF but didnt want to have to remap all my games. may have to go back to massdrop layout designer because programming that many layers in TMK is time consuming.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:34:47 »
I haven't seen tp comment on this yet.  :p

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:38:03 »
why didn't i think of that!? I wanted to try ESDF but didnt want to have to remap all my games. may have to go back to massdrop layout designer because programming that many layers in TMK is time consuming.

That's the main reason I haven't adopted the TMK firmware yet, massdrop's configuration is just sooo easy to use.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 17:37:36 »
I haven't seen tp comment on this yet.  :p

he doesn't usually comment inside actual ergodox topics because he doesnt actually own an ergodox, I am 90% sure about that, he just likes to go into non-ergodox threads and say ergodox ergodox ergodox.

That's the main reason I haven't adopted the TMK firmware yet, massdrop's configuration is just sooo easy to use.

i did it for the media keys, but because i went so long without having media keys, i suddenly feel i don't really need them. yeah stick to massdrop one unless you really really need the media keys.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:18:57 »
he doesn't usually comment inside actual ergodox topics because he doesnt actually own an ergodox, I am 90% sure about that, he just likes to go into non-ergodox threads and say ergodox ergodox ergodox.

I've seen him in every other Dox thread. I guarantee you that he owns a Dox, and he types pretty damn quickly on it also.

Offline Larken

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 21:59:46 »
mediakeys are pretty nice on a mobile ergodox, but for one that's connected to my main computer all the time, usually just mapping the function row via software is more than enough for me. (and the fact that I have no idea how to work with the tmk firmware :))).

I find the ergodox great for gaming, though I'd admit that I haven't used it for gaming much nowadays. Definitely beats a regular keyboard in my case, as I can have the mouse next to the left half of the board (doesn't really work this way in MMOs, as I still have to type and chat with others). But great for fps/single player games.

and Glod is right, that is a rather old picture of my ergodox before I got the new wood tops cut. It looks much better in the pictures than in real life due to adjustments made to the photo. The real thing in vinyl is rather disappointing, unfortunately.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 14:50:38 »
ErgoDox would be fine for gaming, but clears not so much. YMMV

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:48:16 »
Ergo-Clears.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 17:10:35 »
Ergo-Clears.

Nah, I love stock clears. No bottoming out.

But I sometimes prefer a cloud of boobs, preferably vintage... ugh, that sounds wicked. This analogy doesn't work.

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 20:18:54 »
I play mostly FPS's, and it works great.

My Dox has MX Browns, and I'm using one of the other layouts from the Github firmware, colemak-symbol-mod. It's got a QWERTY layer w/lock so I don't have to remap every game and has the clusters switched so that Space and Enter are on the left thumb.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 09:44:33 »

if you take advantage of using multiple layers (like more than 3!) and utilizing the extra 1.5 and 2x keys to activate those layers, using all 12 F keys and all 10 numeric keys is actually faster than if you had a normal keyboard because all of it is on one hand. but you have to be the type of person that is fast at doing key combinations with one hand. I've been meaning to adjust my layout for months now for gaming, i actually don't have my F7-F12 mapped to my left hand, i do have all 10 numbers though (i did that for starcraft). I use the second 2x key as my Layer2 key.

as daerid said, the WASD and space bar feels more natural, its comfortable.

Hi, just searched and found you guys posting about Ergodox and gaming.

I've been looking at standard ergodox keymapping layouts and most have the space bar placed on the right!

Do you guys mind posting your keymapping layout? I'm guessing you would put the space bar on the left thumb key, what about backspace, delete, and enter?

Looking forward to seeing your posts  :thumb:

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 16:29:31 »
I use half an ergodox as a deicated gaming pad. Here's the layout.sc file I use: (I prefer soarer's controller code, for the better macros, features, ease of reprogramming, and NKRO)
Code: [Select]
matrix
    blocking 0

sense PF0 PF1 PF4 PF5 PF6 PF7

strobe  PB0 FN1 FN2 UNASSIGNED FN3 UNASSIGNED END
    strobe  PB1 5 T G B UNASSIGNED HOME
    strobe  PB2 4 R F V RIGHT PAGE_UP
    strobe  PB3 3 E D C DOWN SPACE
    strobe  PD2 2 W S X UP ENTER
    strobe  PD3 1 Q A Z LEFT PAGE_DOWN
    strobe  PC6 ESC TAB CAPS_LOCK LSHIFT LCTRL UNASSIGNED
END

Here's what it looks like on the KB itself using massdrop's configurator:

The layer keys (function layer keys on soarer's parlance) are not currently mapped to anything.

Gaming with ESDF is pretty much the way to go on this. I'm thinking about making a layer be: "change to ESDF" so I can more easily play different games to see if they're worth it to keep playing without having to waste time remapping them. (Obviously I remap every game I "keep" ). That said, even WASD ins't bad, but I have flexible thumbs I guess (and really only need to hit one of those thumbkeys.

I'm going to experiment with putting lctrl or lshift on the other thumb for crouch / run / activate / whatever. we'll see.

Oh, pgup, pgdn, "space", and arrowkeys are crucial to use with MPC to control my videos.

I also use this with one hand (other on trackball) to quickly cut / copy / paste / move / resize / whatever images in mspaint. It's great with that (or with a dedicated RH tenkey for use in excel. one hand on ergodox "dedicated function pad" and one hand on tenkey is like ideal for that stuff.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 August 2014, 16:35:11 by dorkvader »

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:49:47 »

Speak for yourself, I game on Clears exclusively as their my favorite switch. Personally, I don't think switch type makes much a difference, in typing speed, or gaming. Not like getting a different switch will make you any better.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 23:53:09 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 04:08:04 »
OK OG
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 06:34:01 »
Gaming on the Ergodox is vastly superior..

You know how you get that sharp pain sometimes during long sessions during FPS.. the pain across the top of your forearm over the right side of the wrist..

That pain is completely gone while using the ergodox.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 13:32:26 »
Half an ErgoDox works great as a dedicated game pad.

Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 15:18:46 »

Speak for yourself, I game on Clears exclusively as their my favorite switch. Personally, I don't think switch type makes much a difference, in typing speed, or gaming. Not like getting a different switch will make you any better.
Yeah, that's why I ended my post by stating: "YMMV"

As for switches affecting performace… try gaming on superblacks. ~_^

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 15:37:06 »
paicrai.

hhkb.

do it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 18:11:55 »
smells like hate in here all of a sudden