Author Topic: Apple's iWatch - Rumor peddling  (Read 8522 times)

Offline mindoculus

Apple's iWatch - Rumor peddling
« on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 07:48:32 »
These rumours are getting real. More and more of the actual details are beginning to spill.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: Apple's iWatch - Rumor peddling
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 09:33:52 »
That 'band watch' looks awful. But I'm sure it will go perfectly with his pretty bracelet.

Offline osi

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 09:45:55 »
Interesting. I haven't seen much on this. Are wearables becoming the future?? gahhhhhh

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 10:21:06 »
I don't see why to bother. iPod nano + band and you already set really. Otherwise I fear it will be just dumb accessory for iPhone like other 'smart' watch that dosen't do **** useful on it's own.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:21:53 »
It's probably going to cost $300+ in the meantime, anyone who wants a smart watch can go for a pebble steel.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:24:52 »
But the Pebble isn't a smart watch.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:28:37 »
My watch is smart. it tells me what time it is. It's awesome and it looks nice. And it has no battery.

That's smart.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:45:38 »
I wear no watch. especially one that is smarter than me

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:48:06 »
I suppose the OP is an Apple fan, no offense intended, but based on the few people that have posted here, there is no interest in a new watch from Apple at GH.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 10:58:55 »
It's probably going to cost $300+ in the meantime, anyone who wants a smart watch can go for a pebble steel.

Except if you have an iPhone the pebble ****ing sucks becasue Apple limit what you can get out of an iPhone...

I suppose the OP is an Apple fan, no offense intended, but based on the few people that have posted here, there is no interest in a new watch from Apple at GH.

What a stupid thing to say

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 11:28:03 »
There is no reason to express things in such an extreme way. It appears that something in a simple comment touched a sensitive inner feeling within baldgye. Overreacting my friend?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 11:35:50 »
Overreacting?
You said that becasue the OP posted what he thought was news he must be an Apple fan and that no one on GH would ever care about anything coming from Apple, like there are no iPhone or mac users on here... of which there are many...

...so no not overreacting at all... lol

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 11:45:43 »
The comment reads "new watch from Apple", how does this reference imply the full Apple's portfolio of products? Unless the implication were in your mind...Take it easy my friend, one of the characteristics of this board is friendliness. By the way, I am an admirer of Mr. Jobs legacy, I even include his example in the courses I teach on innovation. Thus, I am not an Apple hater, by any means.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2014, 11:51:23 by ideus »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 17:52:18 »
it will fail b/c charging your watch is silly annoying. I have the pebble, and i can eek out 5days of usage before i have to take it off my wrist to charge.

I'm a monogamous watch user, i eat/sleep/shower with my watch on, i rarely take it off, i did need an extra charging cable, one for computer/ one for my nightstand/valet(a valet is where you dump your everyday carry, like keys/wallet/cellphone/change/wedding ring etc).

the pebble will probably be the winner for best battery life smartwatch for a long time, b/c it uses eink, and all the other watches use LCD and try to be way too smart, so they only have like 2 to 3 days for charge... that's annoying.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 07:53:34 »
Until they bring out a watch that is a proper phone I won't be buying. E-Ink display, curved touchscreen, slim design, replaceable battery, basic phone and SMS functionality. Music player functionality with a good DAC built in and wireless access to whatever storage device you choose (for instance a PC when in WiFi range, Tablet, laptop, network storage, etc..)

I don't need Facebook, web browsing, etc on my phone. Tablet sure, but I'm happy to keep my phone simple and avoid distractions. I like to carry as little as possible with me.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 16:07:26 »
Until they bring out a watch that is a proper phone I won't be buying. E-Ink display, curved touchscreen, slim design, replaceable battery, basic phone and SMS functionality. Music player functionality with a good DAC built in and wireless access to whatever storage device you choose (for instance a PC when in WiFi range, Tablet, laptop, network storage, etc..)

I don't need Facebook, web browsing, etc on my phone. Tablet sure, but I'm happy to keep my phone simple and avoid distractions. I like to carry as little as possible with me.

So you'd rather have a massive heavy watch with poor battery life and a tiny cheap plastic phone that's barely smaller than most small android phones, than a regular sized watch and a far more capable phone?

Offline travisjason

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 10:25:56 »
Smart watches are becoming ever popular.  I imagine they will copy a lot of what is out there on the market, but put the apple touch on it.

It will be some sort of beautiful with Jonathan Ive designing it though.

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 18:08:53 »
I can't really stand anything apple's made, they seem to go against everything I look for in most electronics.

I'm waiting for my pebble steel to ship to me
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 20:18:18 »
Smart watches are becoming ever popular.  I imagine they will copy a lot of what is out there on the market, but put the apple touch on it.

It will be some sort of beautiful with Jonathan Ive designing it though.

It's a big puddle of meh to me.  If they do come out with an iWatch, it will be overpriced, designed with planned obsolescence, and will be expensive as hell all while being little more than a toy.  With they Apple hype man dead, I doubt people will be amazed by it.  It seems just as gimmicky as the calculator watch fad of the 80s...as long as it follows the typical Apple formula that is.

Jobs could sell a cattle rancher his own cow manure, just packaged in a shapely container and spritzed with lavendar water and he'd sing the praises of Apple.  Since Job's died, people are more critical.  We'll see though.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:30:38 »
After a long time, the "Apple Watch" has been announced now, but it will not be available to buy until next year.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/apple-reveals-long-rumored-apple-watch/

It has a touch screen and appears much like the Android and Samsung other smartwatches, I think.  Apparently there is also a combo knob/home button that can be used in many cases instead of swiping, so you won't have to obscure the "face". The touchscreen also has a press sensor.

Other features: NFC (payments, door lock etc), microphone (dictaphone, Siri), wireless charging, vibrator, pulse rate, step counter (likely an accelerometer).
Lots of various wrist bands. Big, bulky and ugly rounded, made of stainless steel or gold.

It is an iPhone accessory. It needs to be tethered to an iPhone to work properly. Even to use the fitness app
correctly, you would need to carry both the watch and the phone when you go out jogging...

Apparently they have not decided for one way to interact with it ... but use both touch (tap, swipe, pinch), press the screen, turn/press knob for various things.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:47:11 by Findecanor »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:53:34 »
Looks ugly, prefer the Motorola watch.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 13:55:48 »
350. Steep and its rather ugly.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:18:27 »
I'm falling more and more into the "I get that I'm old now" category. Bigger phones? Meh. Connected watches? Meh. Actually, watches in general are meh. There was nothing shown on the stage today that I care about apart from iOS8 and how it'll integrate with the desktop OS.

And yeah, $350 for that? Nope, nope, nope. Starting, too. I'm sure they'll span up toward $500 for base models without designer this and that.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:29:04 »
Bigger phones is a big deal, if your a current iphone user and have proper sized hands using the tiny keyboard on the pretty thin display of an iphone can be a proper pain. If the bigger screen makes that easier then its an improvement.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:33:47 »
This place sounds exactly like all the geek forums at the original iPod introduction (and again for iPhone, iPad). [“No wireless. less space than a Nomad. Lame.”]

I don’t want a watch, but I’ll reserve judgment about their appearance until actually seeing one in person. I bet they’ll sell a ton of them.

The little knob on the side is a brilliant UI for a watch-sized device IMO. In general, computers should have more high-precision/accuracy analog inputs with real moving parts, instead of forcing everything to go through a mouse or touchscreen.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:35:18 »
Vibrator...hue, hue, hue

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:36:29 »
I have a watch. It tells me what hour it is, it looks nice and it recharge itself with the light (yea thx Citizen for this nice innovation).

Oh, this watch will help you train better? Well let's say that 90% of the consumers that will buy this watch are probably not training enough to *need* a watch that will monitor all their body signals ... They should buy a bike instead and actually USE IT.

I just don't get how everyone has so many *needs* these days. They need to make money so they need to make new products and then they need to convince us all that we need these products because most of the time they don't make a new product based on what people needs but more on what they could try to convince us to buy.

Same for cars. I don't NEED a damn bluetooth thing. I don't need my car to park itself. I just want my car to be reliable, economic and comfortable to some extent, I don't need my car to be hi-teck. But when I want a new car, it's damn hard to find one that is reliable, economic and comfortable and that does not come with a load of unnecessary things.

Sorry for my rant about our consuming based society!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:36:52 »
https://moto360.motorola.com/
Motorola already did a better job of ripping of Dieter Rams, looking at it again post the Apple Watch announcement, the Apple watch just looks so ugly.

But I do want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 as it's bigger in the right direction (unlike the iPhone 5)

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:38:25 »
Bigger phones is a big deal, if your a current iphone user and have proper sized hands using the tiny keyboard on the pretty thin display of an iphone can be a proper pain. If the bigger screen makes that easier then its an improvement.
I'm about an inch shorter than average height for a white male in the US (I'm 5' 9") and I have no issues using the iPhone 5 at all. And it fits nicely in my pocket with spare room for rocks, keys, and my diamond collection. Everytime I see someone with one of those comically large Samsung phones, I chuckle. A lot.

Regardless, I'm moving into dinosaur age where I'll slowly become more and more irrelevant to people selling things.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:40:47 »
I'm about an inch shorter than average height for a white male in the US (I'm 5' 9") and I have no issues using the iPhone 5 at all. And it fits nicely in my pocket with spare room for rocks, keys, and my diamond collection. Everytime I see someone with one of those comically large Samsung phones, I chuckle. A lot.

Regardless, I'm moving into dinosaur age where I'll slowly become more and more irrelevant to people selling things.

Yeah I'm not too interested in a tablet but the 6 looks like an improvement just to be able to use it properly.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:50:19 »
I suppose that's the big distinction to me: I use my phone as a phone. I use it for internet-related media to a degree, but at the end of the day, it sends and receives text messages and it makes phone calls. It is not my primary computing device by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not creating anything on it. I'm not consuming all my email there. I'm not even actually sending the majority of my messages (iMessage for now) on it.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:50:34 »
Personally I wear a little woven bracelet on my wrist, and use a “feature phone”, so I’m not the target here... but I think all of these watches are still much too big and bulky.

The Motorola one is 46mm (!) in diameter, and the smaller of the Apple sizes is 38mm tall (by ?? wide). I would personally prefer something like 32mm x 28mm, and as flat as possible.

Maybe we’ll get there in a few years if batteries continue to improve.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:53:00 »
Yeah, the battery thing would kill me. I did a Fitbit for about a year or so and even every six or seven days was kind of annoying. Wearables should last a bit long in my opinion, but the tech isn't there for now.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:53:05 »
I suppose that's the big distinction to me: I use my phone as a phone. I use it for internet-related media to a degree, but at the end of the day, it sends and receives text messages and it makes phone calls. It is not my primary computing device by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not creating anything on it. I'm not consuming all my email there. I'm not even actually sending the majority of my messages (iMessage for now) on it.

I use my phone as a laptop, essentially so yeah... I think I'm one of the few people out there in the world who uses there phone for everything and gets annoyed with how limited its scope is lol

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 14:56:12 »

I use my phone as a laptop, essentially so yeah... I think I'm one of the few people out there in the world who uses there phone for everything and gets annoyed with how limited its scope is lol
Nope, I would imagine you're younger than I am and in a growing minority. You're probably a bit more mobile than I am at the moment. When I'm not at work, I'm at home and when I'm not at home, I'm at work.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 15:09:11 »
I now use a Casio watch and a "dumbphone" with the battery disconnected. I don't use the cell phone very often but when I do I want to be sure that the battery works.

I am contemplating the upgrade to the combination of smartwatch + tablet + headset instead of to a smartphone.
I want to keep the tablet untouched in the bag while I use the "phone" function entirely through the watch and headset, and have a proper screen (and preferably a stylus) for when I use apps. That would require that neither device would have an abysmal battery life: I don't want to carry three chargers when travelling.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 15:13:53 »
I now use a Casio watch and a "dumbphone" with the battery disconnected. I don't use the cell phone very often but when I do I want to be sure that the battery works.

I am contemplating the upgrade to the combination of smartwatch + tablet + headset instead of to a smartphone.
I want to keep the tablet untouched in the bag while I use the "phone" function entirely through the watch and headset, and have a proper screen (and preferably a stylus) for when I use apps. That would require that neither device would have an abysmal battery life: I don't want to carry three chargers when travelling.

Ok?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:01:44 »
Ok?
What I mean is: Samsung did not get there (Tizen), Android (Google) did not get there and now... Apple did not get there either.

Apple used to set the standard, but now... it is more like they are playing catch-up to Samsung and Google, restricted into making a device just like theirs instead of something different.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:15:02 »
Where didn't they go?

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:18:03 »
Meeting that user's super-specific desires.

Your setup sound really peculiar to me, honestly.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:21:38 »

Agreed.

I literally don't see the point in a tablet (other than to watch movies) if you have a smart phone, and if you have a smart phone you can also ditch the 'dumb' phone... and then you have the watch and phone with nothing else.
Not quite sure why your worried about battery life so much, like I said I use my iPhone 5 (a now 2 year old phone) like a laptop and get a full day out of it without a problem, then just plug it in when I get home and forget about it until the morning, hardly difficult.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:32:19 »
And to think steve jobs told everybody we didnt want bigger phones.

Cant help but chuckle.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:37:38 »
I chuckled at that as well.  They said the same thing about the size of the iPad, and now we have the iPad mini.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:38:15 »

Agreed.

I literally don't see the point in a tablet (other than to watch movies) if you have a smart phone, and if you have a smart phone you can also ditch the 'dumb' phone... and then you have the watch and phone with nothing else.
Not quite sure why your worried about battery life so much, like I said I use my iPhone 5 (a now 2 year old phone) like a laptop and get a full day out of it without a problem, then just plug it in when I get home and forget about it until the morning, hardly difficult.
I bought the first iPad because it was one of those "I have the money, it looks interesting" devices. I used it pretty much daily from when I got it a few weeks after launch up until I traded it in for an iPad Air. The iPad Air is used in much the same fashion. I stream on it, I watch movies, I read email, etc.

I could honestly do without it, but it has been handy for traveling where I want to reserve my phone battery for more, you know, phone things. I get the tablet thing if only for that reason. Again, I could easily do without it and have contemplated dumping it.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:41:50 »
Meh, the watch is square sized. Round would have been better, more timeless. Now it looks like an iPod on your wrist.
... ...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:43:23 »
And to think steve jobs told everybody we didnt want bigger phones.

Cant help but chuckle.

Steve also said he didn't want to ever use a phone that had a task manager. And then a year later introduced one for the iPhone.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:51:04 »
I chuckled at that as well.  They said the same thing about the size of the iPad, and now we have the iPad mini.

Im glad they did. I love my mini.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:55:33 »
I really hate the term "wearable technology." Reading glasses are "wearable technology," too.

Also, we have the Google watches at work and they look ridiculous on all the women. Even on men, the screen is just too big for it to be comfortable. The face of the screen hangs far off of either side of my wrist and I always wind up taking it off.
c h e r

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 19:14:33 »
A phone is so easy to displace and forget. They get stolen or lost in other ways.
A wristwatch is always on the wrist, and I won't displace my bag in the first place.

When I want to use the phone as a phone I would need only the watch and the headset. I would in effect get a smaller phone because it is actually hidden away. You could see the tablet/phablet as a "mobile server" if you will. Another reason for using it is to avoid radiation where as even a Bluetooth headset radiates 1/1000 of what a cell phone does.

For the "app" use-case, a 8" tablet would give me a screen on which I could use many real web pages without being relegated to a "mobile view" or "mobile site". The past few years though, I have also carried an old netbook when travelling - which the tablet is also intended to displace.
BTW, I would not watch movies on either - movies are intended to be watched on big screens.
BTW 2, I am not there yet, but as I get older I expect my eye sight to deteriorate and then I would not be able to use a tiny little screen with tiny text any more.

A smart wristwatch needs to be a better wristwatch than an average smartphone is as a pocketwatch, and that means that it needs significantly better battery use than having to be recharged in a specialized docking cradle every night.
Anyone remember the 6th gen iPod Nano... which was square and the same size as the Apple Watch? There were several third-party armbands available for it so that it could be used as a watch, but it never really became popular as one. The biggest reason was its lack of battery life.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 20:52:47 »
Enjoy wrist cancer b1tzh5.

Yea they're def getting there..  gonna be a while before the battery life and weight becomes practical though...