Author Topic: Post your Mionix S.Q.A.T – Surface Quality Analyzer Tool pad scores.  (Read 16782 times)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Hopefully, this thread doesn't descend too much into marketing-hype and encourage pseudo-science.

I'm curious about how useful the Surface Quality Analyzer Tool is in establishing objective mousepad tracking quality.
Would you guys with Mionix devices mind posting the SQAT scores with your various mousepads.

I want to see how various sensors are affected by things like surface color and how particular sensors stack up against hard and soft mousepads.

Please be sure to include all relevant information such as
1) Mouse Model
2) Sensor Model or variant (if applicable)
3) Mousepad Colors (if applicable)

If anybody could kindly oblige me, I'm personally requesting a SQAT score for a Mionix Avior/Naos 7000 (3310 sensor) with the Logitech G440 Hardpad.
Thanks!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Post your Mionix S.Q.A.T – Surface Quality Analyzer Tool pad scores.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 21:12:41 »
Mine is the Mionix Naos 5200

Cheap-o Chinese Mousepad that was $0.99 with whatever image you wanted posted on it.  Used a work of art from Conor Harrington that is a mix of dark and light:

5 Bars (acceptable)

Mionix Ensis 3200 Hard Mat, Black:

10 Bars (Excellent)

Steelseries Mat, Black (forgot specific model, but it's a thin cloth mat):

4 Bars (Acceptable)  - This assessment feels fair with the mouse.

Ratpadz hard mat, Black (the one HardOCP love to tout):

9 Bars

Floor tile, light granite or other light stone color, for ****s and giggles:

4 Bars (Acceptable)

Bare wood desk, oak, for ****s and giggles:

5 Bars (Acceptable)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 18:01:07 »
Thanks for leading the charge nubbinator!
The rest of you contribute! I know you Mionix guys are out there...

Let's get scores for the new optical sensors and for some artisan pads too!
 :p

Offline GreyWolfCalgary

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 23:23:27 »
Hello all,

I have a Mionix Naos 7000. It has the ADNS-3310 optical sensor.

I just picked up the Logitech G440 black gaming hard mouse pad. The SQAT score is 8 bars. This replaced my Razer Goliathus extended speed edition black/green logo soft mouse pad and it got 7 bars.
I also have an old SteelSeries Qck+ black soft mouse pad and it got 6 bars. The G440 pad has little or no friction which is what I hoped for.

Hope my mouse pad scores help out.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Hello all,

I have a Mionix Naos 7000. It has the ADNS-3310 optical sensor.

I just picked up the Logitech G440 black gaming hard mouse pad. The SQAT score is 8 bars. This replaced my Razer Goliathus extended speed edition black/green logo soft mouse pad and it got 7 bars.
I also have an old SteelSeries Qck+ black soft mouse pad and it got 6 bars. The G440 pad has little or no friction which is what I hoped for.

Hope my mouse pad scores help out.

Thanks alot!
I really appreciate this one.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
Here are my results:

Mouse: Mionix Avior 7000
Sensor: ADNS-3310
Pad: SteelSeries QcK
S.Q.A.T score: 70%
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline munch

• !
I remember someone on overclock.net or some page like that trying this on the Artisan Raiden with Avior 7000, and it got 70% - but the sensor doesn't even work with the pad, it skips around a lot :(
any idea what the score even means?
I wanted to get the Avior 7000 until I found out about that.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
I remember someone on overclock.net or some page like that trying this on the Artisan Raiden with Avior 7000, and it got 70% - but the sensor doesn't even work with the pad, it skips around a lot :(
any idea what the score even means?
I wanted to get the Avior 7000 until I found out about that.

From the Mionix website:

"The Surface Quality Analyser Tool is built into the Mionix NAOS 5000 gaming mouse and measures the data loss between images of the surface taken by the mouse sensor. This information is translated in to a rating between 1 and 10, where a low number represents a higher data loss and a higher number represents a lower data loss between the surface and the mouse sensor. Mousepads rated 8/10 or above will provide no loss of tracking* and improved accuracy."

I play Diablo III with a 7 bar score (considered "Good" on the S.Q.A.T scale) and I haven't noticed any issues at all. But you don't need to be too accurate in Diablo, so FPS might be a different story.
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline munch

• !
right, interesting. not sure how data loss works though, but then it isn't really related to jitter and such I take it. thanks!

Offline samuelspark

I have a Naos 7000. Using my Steelseries QCK, I get 60%-70%. However on my Grifiti Wrist Pad, I get 100%. Pretty amusing.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:31:54 »
Can anybody confirm the scores about Mionix's own mousepads like the Sargas 320 / 400?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline JackCY

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:41:02 »
1) Mionix Naos 7000
2) Guess a Avago/Pixart 3310
3) Roccat Taito: 80% normal position and 180 degrees position, 45 degrees rotated either 50% or not tracking at all and jumping around in tiny movements
Old QCK, 50% not tracking at all, again tiny jumpy movements.
Skin, not tracking.
White paper, not tracking.
QFR red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:25:05 »
Does this actually mean that the tracking of the Naos / Avior 7000 sucks compared to others? My g400s tracks on about everything.

Offline JackCY

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:55:39 »
My IME3.0 tracks on anything.
EC1 would not track on anything and wouldn't track paper or skin I think but no problem on mats.
Naos 7000 was the worst as described above.

I think they can track but the software/firmware or LED power is not designed so.
QFR red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 04:25:57 »
My IME3.0 tracks on anything.
EC1 would not track on anything and wouldn't track paper or skin I think but no problem on mats.
Naos 7000 was the worst as described above.

I think they can track but the software/firmware or LED power is not designed so.

Perhaps it is related to lift off distance? That should be configurable on that mouse..

I am thinking about buying either (or both) the naos and avior 7000, but if it tracks so bad, I might take my money elsewhere. Sigh.. it looked so promising.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 14:49:15 »
Tested the Roccat Hiro with my new Avior 7000. Tried it 10 times and got 80% every time. Works great.

Offline RPro

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 13:49:14 »
Zalman AMP1000 Aluminum Mouse Pad (black): 80% before cleaning the pad (water spots...). 90% after cleaning.

Too bad the Zalman is painted - without a wrist-rest my hand sweat actually wore away some of the paint!

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:25:27 »
Avior 7000 works on the Raiden mid that someone else reported problems with... Firmware related?
no issue even with malfunction speed, I can't get that high. 60% only for me though :p not 70% like someone else said.
50% on the black Hien mid. no tracking problems either.
going to try it out on the Slamepad soon too, just haven't used that one much lately due to less gaming.

Offline zhd

I use Avior 7000. I have got 4 bars with my new Kingston HyperX pad. Should I get rid of it? It seems to track well, though i have nothing to compare other than my old cheapo mouse pad, which got 5 bars score.

Edit: I printed this "mouse pad" on a paper and it scored 9 bars!!!
How can a printed paper score higher than a "gaming" pad?
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:45:48 by zhd »

Offline Epsilahn

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 13:31:09 »
NAOS 7000
ADNS 3310
Various Pads

Logitech G440 Mousepad: 10
Razer Goliathus Mousepad: 5

Details:

The Naos 7000 and Logitech G440 are both new, straight out of the box.  I've updated the mouse firmware, and been testing it for about 30 minutes now.  I have tested the G440 pad 10 times at 400 DPI, 5 times at medium lift-off distance, 5 times at absolute lowest lift off distance (somewhere around 1mm in my experience).  I also tested with 800 DPI 5 times, and a supersonic 3000 DPI and 5000 DPI once each, both settings at the lowest lift-off distance.  The SQAT score was ALWAYS a 10.  Time will tell if the pad's readability decreases over time, but its tracking is 100% smooth by SQAT and my own person usage.

The Razer Goliathus pad was another story.  Now, that pad has seen nearly daily use for two years, it is battle worn.  But to my eyes, it is still in pretty good condition.  My Roccat Kone XTD Optical has no trouble with the pad.  I put the NAOS 7000 on it, with middle lift off distance (possibly a centimeter?  It's dramatically different), and the cursor could not track for crap at 400 DPI.  Absolutely terrible, moving inches would move the cursor varying lengths of a few pixels and half the expected distance.  So I increased the lift off distance to 75%, and then it tracked without skipping.  It felt like the cursor was actually travelling farther for equivalent mouse travel than the G440 pad at this point, but it was close.  I ran SQAT 3 times at 400 DPI, and 3 times at 800 DPI.  All scores for the Goliathus were 5/10.

Again, the Goliathus is well used, but I'm looking at it now, and it has held up extremely well.  I'm venturing a guess the NAOS does not like its relatively deep honeycombs made out of resilient, semi-reflective, textured fabric.  Even using the least traveled portion of the large pad yields 5/10, which leads me to believe it's not microwear, but who can say for sure?

For the original poster, I can confirm the NAOS 7000 just about flies across the G440's surface.  In fact, the weight of the cord behind the desk, prior to using a zip tie, would drag the mouse up the pad.  I am happy with this!