Author Topic: Getting used to the ErgoDox  (Read 3064 times)

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
Getting used to the ErgoDox
« on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:23:10 »
Hey all,

Just got an ErgoDox the other day and I have to say its really cool.

Its definitely taking some getting used to, and I just wanted to ask other ErgoDox users about how long it took you to get used to coming from a traditional keyboard?

I have never been a great typer, and dont know how to touch type. As such I find my hands going all over the place trying to use the ErgoDox efficiently. Should I just keep practicing and Ill get it, or should I really take some time and do some online touch typing tutorials?

Any help/thoughts/insights appreciated.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline Fluctuation

Re: Getting used to the ErgoDox
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 23:11:16 »
It was pretty much an instant transition for me, maybe a few minutes to get used to it. But I'm sure proper typing has a huge hand in that. About a year ago I didn't use all 10 fingers to type, maybe like 5 tops. So I decided to just learn dvorak cold turkey. Took a couple months, but it really helped me learn how to use all my fingers, and get rid of a huge amount of my bad typing habits. I recently switched again to colemak and so far it's been really easy to learn coming from dvorak.

I'm sure you'll get it if you just keep at it, you should definitely try and learn to touch type.  :thumb:
I wouldn't really suggest switching layouts unless you really wanted to, though. It's certainly extremely frustrating the first week, or so.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 01:19:36 »
Practice is definitely the key to getting better. A drastically different layout can get frustrating. Typing games or something similar where you are just focused on learning the layout is what I recommend. That way you don't get frustrated by needing to get work or something else done.

Here is a typing exercise that can help you with the columnar layout of the Ergodox. It was made with the kinesis contour in mind, which is similar. http://www.micwil.com/images/additional_resources/training_materials_for_contoured_keyboards.pdf

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 03:07:14 »
A couple of weeks. I had to nail down typing in the first place, since I tend to press B with my right hand on a traditional QWERTY. On the Ergo I had to use the left hand, and pressing the bottom row alphas got me feeling weird.

Next, of course, is getting used to playing around with multiple layers and shortcuts, which is getting fine I guess.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 23:56:38 »
A couple of weeks. I had to nail down typing in the first place, since I tend to press B with my right hand on a traditional QWERTY. On the Ergo I had to use the left hand, and pressing the bottom row alphas got me feeling weird.

Next, of course, is getting used to playing around with multiple layers and shortcuts, which is getting fine I guess.

may-> july..  does that count as necro ?

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 00:21:43 »

may-> july..  does that count as necro ?

Whut?