Author Topic: Cell Phones: Are They Ergonomic?  (Read 3887 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Cell Phones: Are They Ergonomic?
« on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:41:50 »
It seems that many people often spend hours each day using their cellular telecommunication devices, sometimes more often than their computers. This brings ergonomics into the question--what possible ergonomic health effects can you see coming from excessive phone use? Do you think ergonomics will play a major role in the design of phones in the future?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Cell Phones: Are They Ergonomic?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:49:27 »
I have the Motorola DROID 4, which I believe is the most modern smartphone to have a flip-out keyboard. I love the tactile feedback, it's MUCH more ergonomic than any crappy touchscreen keyboard...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:51:34 »
It seems that a lot of poeple are using touch-screen keyboards on their phones though. Do you think it will result in finger/hand/wrist damage in the future?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 15:27:35 »
Thumb injuries have been there before, when 12key hardware keyboards were common. Modern smartphones are even worse, because they're huge (thus reaching), thin&sharp (poor fit; BTW gimme some original Nokia 6600 "egg") and the feedback is poor (vibrations at best).

No big deal though. Let's talk about radiation.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 15:31:47 »
Radiation is indeed VERY un-ergonomic.

I mean, it's hard to type on anything if you're dead.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:30:18 »
Maybe with all this radiation concern I should stop using cell phones before it's too late.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:31:22 »
the real question is, how many of you actually talk on your phone? :O

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:36:50 »

Do you?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:42:23 »

Do you?

Only when forced.

Offline Altis

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:24:05 »
I think that we'll see more and more related injuries due to phones and tablets. To be honest, I think tablets might be an even worse culprit because people seem to spend a lot of time on them.

This is why I prefer to use a desk (whether sitting or standing), as oppose to a tablet. I admit I often spend wayyy too much time on my cell phone, and I can sure feel it when I do. Looking down puts a lot of strain on your neck and muscles in your head.

Touch screens are probably less damaging than physical buttons, but not by much, and depending on how you use it.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 22:07:46 »
I think that we'll see more and more related injuries due to phones and tablets. To be honest, I think tablets might be an even worse culprit because people seem to spend a lot of time on them.

This is why I prefer to use a desk (whether sitting or standing), as oppose to a tablet. I admit I often spend wayyy too much time on my cell phone, and I can sure feel it when I do. Looking down puts a lot of strain on your neck and muscles in your head.

Touch screens are probably less damaging than physical buttons, but not by much, and depending on how you use it.

dumb people and kids spend -alotta- time on tablets....

injury... unlikely.... since you're not touching the screen with force..

However.. sore necks for everyone.. this is assured.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 23:25:52 »
A physical therapist told me she sees quite a few people with thumb problems from trying to thumb type on tablets.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 00:58:43 »
How is that different from physical books?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 05:08:42 »
You can get a better grip at books (in-between pages, for instance) and they are lighter (size to weight ratio).

I have a "dumbphone", that I keep in the bag for the few times that I need it, with the battery outside so that it doesn't deplete when I don't use it. Many "smartphones" don't have any removable battery. It has physical buttons with tactile feedback.

I have been thinking of getting a "phablet" with a handsfree headset. I want a small tablet for casual Internet use when travelling and I don't want to hold the antenna to my head. I haven't found one that is good enough. Why can't all 3G/4G-equipped tablets also support calls with handsfree!?

BTW. If you want papers on the dangers of cell phone radiation, I could provide plenty...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 07:44:58 »
You can get a better grip at books (in-between pages, for instance) and they are lighter (size to weight ratio).

I have a "dumbphone", that I keep in the bag for the few times that I need it, with the battery outside so that it doesn't deplete when I don't use it. Many "smartphones" don't have any removable battery. It has physical buttons with tactile feedback.

I have been thinking of getting a "phablet" with a handsfree headset. I want a small tablet for casual Internet use when travelling and I don't want to hold the antenna to my head. I haven't found one that is good enough. Why can't all 3G/4G-equipped tablets also support calls with handsfree!?

BTW. If you want papers on the dangers of cell phone radiation, I could provide plenty...

this is why i turn off the wify on my tablet because it's my alarm clock..

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:36:03 »

I do know that often times physical books have larger text than smartphones, which makes them easier to read.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:37:33 »
I'm more concerned about the mind-numbing and communication killing effects of cell phones.  Nobody pays attention to anybody else, nobody needs to think about stuff anymore.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 08:40:48 »
I'm more concerned about the mind-numbing and communication killing effects of cell phones.  Nobody pays attention to anybody else, nobody needs to think about stuff anymore.

Excuse me? Don't we need to think about Facebook? I thought that was what is really important anyways.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:24:55 »

Excuse me? Don't we need to think about Facebook? I thought that was what is really important anyways.

Is does take a lot of thought to be witty in 140 characters or less.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:06:29 »
Not my iPhoney Baloney
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 15:53:17 »
Not my iPhoney Baloney

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE ERGONOMICS OF THE APPLE IPHONE? I NEVER FOUND THEM TO BE PARTICULARLY ERGONOMICALLY SHAPED.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:44:12 »
Well, is a brick ergonomic?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 18:52:58 »
I'd rather have a Nokia 8110. Now there is a more ergonomic phone.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 June 2014, 18:55:01 by Findecanor »

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 19:33:17 »

Do you?

I talk on my phone.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 08:24:52 »
I'd rather have a Nokia 8110. Now there is a more ergonomic phone.

Ah, the bananaphone. A classic.

I have a "phablet", Note 2, and find it a good size for all the tablet-like tasks I want it for. Great for ebooks, the odd website when needed, taking notes, playing games :) I don't have a proper wired headset, but I do use headphones with it when calling sometimes, the phones mic is sensitive enough to keep it a decent distance away. Audio quality is really good though some nice IEMs.

It has a great stylus and handwriting recognition, too, so you don't need to use the touchscreen keyboard, but I do when I need to use it one handed.

I used to pooh pooh all the radiation studies since the radiation levels from a mobile phone are far from ionising level, but recently have started to be interested, since I read a paper about cell division. Apparently, during a crucial stage (formation of the mitotic spindle?), the process relies on polarised dipoles and electric charges to function properly. If radiation of a crucial frequency (they found effects in the 100 to 300kHz range) and enough intensity is introduced it interferes with the process.... Catastrophic for the cell in question. They are investigating it as a method of treating cancer, since only currently replicating cells are affected and the radiation is absorbed fairly rapidly by surrounding tissue and thus is relatively local.

That said, mobile carrier frequencies are in the hundreds of MHz range, so I don't think there's much risk there, but some of the other components of the device may well emit radiation in the 100 to 300kHz range, although probably in fairly low intensity.

Of course, the cells affected usually just die, instead of completing replication with damage, so the chances of this actually causing cancer is minimal and even if it does, there's a greater chance of it killing the resulting cancerous cells anyway, but it does point to the fact that radiation can affect cells in ways we may not yet be aware of, so it may pay off to be cautious about this. Especially for babies and young kids who have a rapid rate of cell division.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Altis

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 23:06:51 »

That's a good point. I think that it's more of how people hold them and for hold long. For example, it's more likely that you have to place the tablet on your lap (or a table) so that you can use it with two hands, whereas a book only requires one or two hands, allowing you to hold it up higher and alternate hands if you wish.

I definitely do get neck pain from using them too long, and sometimes in my hand/wrist too with my phone, and I'm in my mid twenties.

I think eyesight is another ergonomic factor that will be a big deal from phones, tablets, and computers, mostly due to the bright white backlit web pages and documents. Sites like Geekhack are much easier on the eyes! iOS 7, on the other hand.... (light grey text on white backgrounds....)
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 02:06:51 »
I wish cell phone makers would add a button to toggle the touchscreen on and off so you can hold it more like a book without any effect. As it is, the only way to hold a phone while the display is active is by the sides and they always have some buttons there, so it gets a bit finickey.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:49:38 »
I have been on the Smartphone / Tablet bandwagon since the early beginning. I have to say, it got much better than it ever was before. I currently own an iPhone (screw you microsoft windows guy) and an iPad Mini with Retina Display (screw you again!) and i have to say i type mostly with the phone yeah, almost no calls.

The iPhone is just nice because it's fairly fast; operations are done in less than 30 seconds most of the time, therefore you never "hold" a complexe un-ergonomic position for long. It's a phone, we are not writting an essai on it.

The iPad is mostly a sharable device and a browsing/gaming device as well. It's nice to have it in a working environnement, because it's clean, it can be easily shared between a workgroup, it can do a lot of function out of itself and everyone seems to know how to use them. Gaming with it is pretty nice, especially Hearthstone, and since i have a tablet stand, i do not get to hold it most of the time.

It also substitute a laptop for most of its function. The very most of media, some games, most web functions like emails and browsing and much more can be done with it. I use it at university for note taking, it's way lighter than a laptop, it can take pictures of blackboards in a blink, typing is superbe once you get the trick, and you can instantly share the notes you took.

Pretty much everything i stated here also applies to Android devices, i just prefer iOS for trying both and i consider that the iPhone, when adult handled, tend to age better, both software and hardware ways.

There is really not much ergonomic issues with the phones, because it's not a long use. Most of people don't even speak using the phone but uses headsets here at my job. I also do since i pretty much always have my headphones on. On the other hand, the iPad has some issues, like sore eyes at staring at a bright screen even at lowest brightness when in total darkness.

All in all you can take off most of the positioning ergonomics cause these devices are usable anyhow anytime anywhere.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX