Author Topic: Surface Pro 3 thoughts and alternatives  (Read 25418 times)

Offline genkidama

Surface Pro 3 thoughts and alternatives
« on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:25:07 »
Hello there GH!

I was wondering what you thing in regard of the new Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
As I'm thinking about a new laptop as my old one broke down (the keyboard died =/) and I saw this new hybrid thingy from Microsoft and it got my attention totally. It just seems so productive to work with this  and to use it for reading newspapers or scientific papers (as they mostly are in DIN A4 and pdf format). From the videos it seems very low in delay while using the Surface Pen and the integration of the office suite seems very very good as well especially OneNote. I can go on blabbering about how I like this device already just by watching videos and reading some reviews.
But still it has a steep price, although it starts with 799$ I guess you would want to buy at least the i5 version. Does anybody already own one and can share some of the experience you made? What about equivalent alternatives to such a hybrid with a full OS? Maybe something that is not as expensive as the Surface Pro 3 or other combination like a tablet with a lightweight 60% board (as I totally intent to buy or make a 60% board)?

I would like to gather some infos as I'm kind of on the edge what to do with the idea of buying the Surface Pro 3 or not. Maybe it's also helpful to others that are in a similar position.

edit: For me I would use the Surface Pro 3 mainly for my studys, making notes in OneNote as in pdf and ppt documents and reading papers and making notes while reading them. So I could put aside printing everything out and use it while on the go.

Regards,
genki
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:43:37 by genkidama »
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Surface Pro 3 thoughts and alternatives
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:48:00 »
Hello there GH!

I was wondering what you thing in regard of the new Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
As I'm thinking about a new laptop as my old one broke down (the keyboard died =/) and I saw this new hybrid thingy from Microsoft and it got my attention totally. It just seems so productive to work with this  and to use it for reading newspapers or scientific papers (as they mostly are in DIN A4 and pdf format). From the videos it seems very low in delay while using the Surface Pen and the integration of the office suite seems very very good as well especially OneNote. I can go on blabbering about how I like this device already just by watching videos and reading some reviews.
But still it has a steep price, although it starts with 799$ I guess you would want to buy at least the i5 version. Does anybody already own one and can share some of the experience you made? What about equivalent alternatives to such a hybrid with a full OS? Maybe something that is not as expensive as the Surface Pro 3 or other combination like a tablet with a lightweight 60% board (as I totally intent to buy or make a 60% board)?

I would like to gather some infos as I'm kind of on the edge what to do with the idea of buying the Surface Pro 3 or not. Maybe it's also helpful to others that are in a similar position.

edit: For me I would use the Surface Pro 3 mainly for my studys, making notes in OneNote as in pdf and ppt documents and reading papers and making notes while reading them. So I could put aside printing everything out and use it while on the go.

Regards,
genki

Umm..... there's always the surface pro 2.... which isn't much worse than 3..

performance wise, 2 is faster than 3...

but 3 is the one that's thinner + lighter...

There are NO ALTERNATIVES to the surface...  it's best in class...

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:57:49 »
i've got the pro, which is identical to the pro2 except a bit slower. i can't speak to the 3's formfactor but the pro is a very good device. comfortable to use, very flexible either on the desk or lap. Even the type cover is a surprisingly nice typing experience. i've gotten a ton of mileage out of it. if i were in the market for a windows (note i say windows, not linux) laptop right now, i'd be buying a surface. as far as pro2 vs 3, i can't speak to that.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:59:51 »
i've got the pro, which is identical to the pro2 except a bit slower. i can't speak to the 3's formfactor but the pro is a very good device. comfortable to use, very flexible either on the desk or lap. Even the type cover is a surprisingly nice typing experience. i've gotten a ton of mileage out of it. if i were in the market for a windows (note i say windows, not linux) laptop right now, i'd be buying a surface. as far as pro2 vs 3, i can't speak to that.

the pro is solid.. and the battery life was actually just fine after they updated it.....

pro2 however is kinda the extra mile that the device needed to get over say a 3-4 period class day. without running the battery down to 10%..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:05:27 »
If you plan on using the pen much, you could read the reviews so you learn about its limitations. They changed the type of pen between Surface Pro2 and 3.

One thing that irks me with the Surface-line is that neither has more than one USB port (out).
I'm still waiting for some other maker to come out with a better windows tablet than MS's.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:14:16 by Findecanor »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 14:51:09 »
I use a Surface Pro (original) daily since my big desktop is in a shipping container somewhere in the Pacific right now.

I absolutely love it.

I was talking about it in another thread, but it's the only "laptop" I've ever had that lets me change what keyboard I use with it without adversely affecting the ergonomics.  I use the Touch Cover when I don't want to carry much with me.  It works fine for 1-5 emails and light web usage.  If I need to "do work", then I use one of my Pokers with a lightweight BT mouse.  It's awesome for that.

I really love the multi-option interface.  Touch is great for scrolling up webpages, etc.  Pen is great for drawing.  Mouse/KB is great for traditional office stuff.

I'll probably upgrade my Pro to the Pro 3 in the fall if/when the offer a processor bump.  I don't mind the change in pen tech; I get sick of Wacom and their politics sometime anyway (us early adopters really felt it while Wacom withheld their WinTab drivers in the beginning so there was no pressure support in Adobe apps to keep the Surface from competing with their more serious tablets).

My wife gets jealous when we're on the couch and I'm using my Surface in "touch mode" but I can look up something in my client database or scroll through our pictures from vacation.  Her iPad won't do any of that (not without VNC'ing into my Surface, heh).

I don't use the pen a ton anyway.  It's not easy using apps like Lightroom because of the high-dpi.  I usually plug into a large external monitor for that.

Regarding price:  I find the Surface is pretty inline with prices on comparably-specced ultrabooks, especially metal-bodied ones.  They do seem to hold their value better than other 'normal' ultrabooks based on ebay sales.

Again, what other laptop can you naturally use a Poker/HHKB/TypeNow/Yoda with?  For years I wanted to mod a mech KB into my laptop but could never figure out how to do it.

Things I would change:  ditto on the usb port (however I have a nice little hub from Juiced that gives 2x 3.0 ports and a cardreader); I also wish the Mini Displayport was a Thunderbolt port so I could have higher-speed storage for Lightroom; fullsize SD card slot rather than microSD.  I'm pretty anal retentive though, and so that's a relatively short list for me with any device.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline genkidama

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 17:57:32 »
Umm..... there's always the surface pro 2.... which isn't much worse than 3..

performance wise, 2 is faster than 3...

but 3 is the one that's thinner + lighter...

There are NO ALTERNATIVES to the surface...  it's best in class...

But it's just too small, the Pro 2. My laptop is 12.1" and I wouldn't want to go smaller. And I would want a bigger screen for work and to switch or work with two programs side by side much easier than on a 10.6" screen.

This sounds very promising :) I've read a lot of reviews about the Pro3 and it really seems like a very good laptop replacement. As far as I've read the average battery hours are 8hrs (browsing, listening music, working office), which is quite nice.

If you plan on using the pen much, you could read the reviews so you learn about its limitations. They changed the type of pen between Surface Pro2 and 3.

If I remember correctly they switched from wacom to n-trig. And as it seems it's really really good and very quick in response when you start writing or drawing for that matter. I couldn't see any delay while they wrote via pen. Was very quick and accurate. I also read that many was talking down the n-trig digitizer (it is a digitizer right?) as he had some small number that is used for recognizing the pen and the input of the pen. Still it was very good especially on the edges of the screen, but still very accurate and I still couldn't see any big delay. So I think there is no real limitation but maybe the buttons for shortcuts as it "only" has 3 buttons so far. For me it seems like the pen for the Pro3 is somewhat similar in responsivness and quickness as the S Pen from Samsung which I already used for some time.

One small detail that irks me with the Surface-line is that neither has more than one USB port (out).
I'm still waiting for some other maker to come out with a better windows tablet than MS's.

Yeah the one USB port is really a bummer.. I also thought about getting a USB hub for that to get more ports and use a KB and a cable mouse.

I hope some other manufacturers want to hop in on that wagon and produce something similar so Microsoft has to reduce that pricetag for the Pro 3.

I use a Surface Pro (original) daily since my big desktop is in a shipping container somewhere in the Pacific right now.

Why what how?

I absolutely love it.

I was talking about it in another thread, but it's the only "laptop" I've ever had that lets me change what keyboard I use with it without adversely affecting the ergonomics.  I use the Touch Cover when I don't want to carry much with me.  It works fine for 1-5 emails and light web usage.  If I need to "do work", then I use one of my Pokers with a lightweight BT mouse.  It's awesome for that.

I really love the multi-option interface.  Touch is great for scrolling up webpages, etc.  Pen is great for drawing.  Mouse/KB is great for traditional office stuff.

I'll probably upgrade my Pro to the Pro 3 in the fall if/when the offer a processor bump.  I don't mind the change in pen tech; I get sick of Wacom and their politics sometime anyway (us early adopters really felt it while Wacom withheld their WinTab drivers in the beginning so there was no pressure support in Adobe apps to keep the Surface from competing with their more serious tablets).

This sounds very reassuring for me about getting a Pro 3 :) As they got back to the drawing board and recreated a better typecover and bigger screen, but still getting it thinner, lighter and a bit better. As far as reviews go and all the benchmarks they did the Pro 3 is ahead just by a small portion in points in those benchmarks. Maybe a different or "better" SSD who knows.

There should be a somewhat new processor unit in the i7 versions as the build-in gpu is the HD5000 (Intel Core i7-4650U) if it helps. I'm not really good with the mobile CPUs so I don't know if it's correct what I'm talking about, I only see that the i5 is lower from the label name (Intel Core i5-4300U).

My wife gets jealous when we're on the couch and I'm using my Surface in "touch mode" but I can look up something in my client database or scroll through our pictures from vacation.  Her iPad won't do any of that (not without VNC'ing into my Surface, heh).

I don't use the pen a ton anyway.  It's not easy using apps like Lightroom because of the high-dpi.  I usually plug into a large external monitor for that.

From the Surface Pro 3 Event from Microsoft they showed a new version of Photoshop and all the other programs which are better for the pen to use. You also can scale up the icons so you can "click" them with the pen much easier. Seems also very optimized for the pen usage. And like I said the pen seems very responsive and stuff. There was also a video on youtube from two german cartoonist who said it's much better now with the Pro 3 to draw than with the Pro 2.

Regarding price:  I find the Surface is pretty inline with prices on comparably-specced ultrabooks, especially metal-bodied ones.  They do seem to hold their value better than other 'normal' ultrabooks based on ebay sales.
Well maybe you are right, but there are still ultrabooks that are under 1000$ and are on par with the Pro 3 performance wise. Also there are a lot with multi-touch and they are also lightweight, maybe not as much as the Pro 3 but still. It's still just so much you need to pay.

I hope they will do some kind of discount to make it more affordable. Like the Pro (1) and Pro 2 right now, as all the sellers want to get them out of their storages. I know this won't happen with the Pro 3, but dreaming about is still okay right?  ^-^

heedpantsnow have you tried to use a bluetooth keyboard on your Pro? Would be interesting to know how quick the battery runs out with two bluetooth devices parring with the Pro.

I'm really sorry for my english, I have such a headache right now so it seems my engrlish broke down totally  :eek:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:50:13 »
I've only done 1 BT device at a time. The battery drain with 1 was negligible, as is turning off the BT altogether.

This is GH. What the heck are you doing messing around with BT keyboards!?  ;)
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 18:51:49 »
There were some deals with Microsoft, Best Buy, Staples, etc where you can trade in any working old tablet towards a Surface. Maybe that would help?  Got an old HP Touchpad laying around?
I'm back.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 01:40:49 »
I've only done 1 BT device at a time. The battery drain with 1 was negligible, as is turning off the BT altogether.

Aren't there BT mechs around here? ;)

There were some deals with Microsoft, Best Buy, Staples, etc where you can trade in any working old tablet towards a Surface. Maybe that would help?  Got an old HP Touchpad laying around?
I don't have any tablet laying around here. And I hope such a deal will be held here in Germany where I can trade in a laptop or such.

But as it seems Microsoft has a monopoly in this kind of hybrid market. They need some competition.
But still it seems like a good idea to purchase a Pro 3 as everybody so far likes it and is comfortable with the type-cover and embraces the mobility, full OS and lapability (as Panay said) :D

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:34:45 »

Aren't there BT mechs around here? ;)

filco minila air.

re surface pro: there's a nice overview on arstechnica.

The bottom line is: It's still the best laptop replacement that can't actually replace a laptop

Offline genkidama

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:04:39 »
Yes I meant the minila board from Filco :) A cute board.

As I'm reading the review from ArsTechnica (thanks for that!). I am thinking about what caused a problem for me, the Pro 3 isn't really repairable. I've seen in on iFixit where they tried to open up the Pro 3 to replace for example the battery and the screen broke and they labeled the Pro 3 as almost non-repairable for users like us. So if something is not right you need to send it in and wait, this sucks for me at least. Because mostly I buy a laptop and put more RAM in it afterwards, because it's much cheaper to do it that way as compared to buy an upgraded version with more RAM which just cost much more than the RAM itself.
Does somebody know how good the repair service from Microsoft or other places like bestbuy or staples is?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 16:54:27 »
Yeah the one USB port is really a bummer.. I also thought about getting a USB hub for that to get more ports and use a KB and a cable mouse.
Yeah, there are USB hubs made especially for the Surface.. silly..

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 17:58:50 »
I have a hub like that. It's nice but when I resume from sleep it doesn't automatically reconnect the devices connected to it. So I guess that could be annoying but when I leave it plugged in I don't usually sleep it as I'm not putting it in a bag (duh).
I'm back.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 02:17:24 »
isn't there a docking station with plenty of USB ports?

Offline genkidama

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 05:04:36 »
Yes there is one with: 1x USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0, 1x Gb LAN, 1x Mini DisplayPort, 2x Audio

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 05:10:33 »
pretty nice, it would probably cost more than surface itself :)

Offline genkidama

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 05:16:04 »
Where I found this picture it was priced at ~250€ so pretty pricey, I'd rather use a usb hub than a docking station. The hub should be more than enough and for an external monitor or two you also can use just the miniDisplayport and use some kind of mirroring technique for it (I've forgotten the name but it's quite possible and should work well).

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 07:12:30 »
That's the surface pro 1 & 2 docks. They were okay. The surface pro 3 dock is nicer, has more USB ports and something special about the DisplayPort (can drive 2-3x bigger displays I think). It's $199 and preorder.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-3-Docking-Station/productID.300191900
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 12:48:19 »

Love it. Go for it OP.
I'm back.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:28:20 »
This looks very nice and especially with such a lovely mech  :llama: But look at dat table though  :eek: Also very lovely.

But how is it with the repair services, have you used it? How is it? What to do if the waranty runs out and the hinge breaks for example? Warranty is set for only 2 years I think.

Still you are making it hard to resist buying/pre-orderin it ^-^

Is this a surface bluetooth mouse?

e: But first, watching quakecon (Twitch) ;) I can recommend to watch if you are into FPS.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 02:19:58 »
Show Image

Love it. Go for it OP.

look at that keycap set! :D

but I can't forgive you the mouse.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 08:06:32 »
I don't like the Surface Pro 3 because it isn't compatible with Windows XP.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 08:12:23 »
I don't like the Surface Pro 3 because it isn't compatible with Windows XP.

you sure? with some dedication I bet you can force it :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 09:44:57 »
Not sure you can force XP to recognize uefi instead of bios. 7 is so much better than xp anyhow. You might be able to cobble 7 on there.
I'm back.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 09:53:02 »
Not sure you can force XP to recognize uefi instead of bios. 7 is so much better than xp anyhow. You might be able to cobble 7 on there.

can't you install a uefi compatible boot loader and then bootstrap winxp?

Offline lkong

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:17:43 »
Show Image

Love it. Go for it OP.
How's the battery life under ubuntu?
Also is the touch screen/stylus working perfectly too?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:29:58 »
Sry I run Win8, not Ubuntu. :(
I'm back.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 18:02:27 »
But how is it with the repair services, have you used it? How is it? What to do if the waranty runs out and the hinge breaks for example? Warranty is set for only 2 years I think.

What about this heedpantsnow?

Show Image

Love it. Go for it OP.
How's the battery life under ubuntu?
Also is the touch screen/stylus working perfectly too?

Watch some of the video reviews you can find, like this one or this.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 21:34:51 »
I'm not interested in Ubuntu; I run too much special software.

With the warranty thing, yes it's not very repairable. I'm used to pulling hard drives, swapping ram, etc but I can't with this. But it's a similar story with all the ultra-thin ultra books it think. But it is something to consider with this.

Don't know if this is an option for you but I charged mine to a credit card that doubles the factory warranty. Maybe you have access to that too.
I'm back.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:51:29 »
Show Image

Love it. Go for it OP.
So can you use a Poker II or JD40 on a Surface Pro 3, omg thats makes me want to get it! ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:14:33 by tyvar1 »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 13:48:20 »
Show Image

Love it. Go for it OP.
So can you use a Poker II or JD40 on a Surface Pro 3, omg thats makes me want to get it! ;)

Yes.  You can use any standard USB keyboard with any of the Surface Pros.  That's why I think every mech fan should own one!

I use a Poker X with original Surface Pro.
I'm back.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 14:00:57 »
Show Image

Love it. Go for it OP.

Yes.  You can use any standard USB keyboard with any of the Surface Pros.  That's why I think every mech fan should own one!

Lovely news! :D
i was looking for a Tablet and nearly got the Nvidia Shield Tablet. but then i saw some leaks about Nexus 9 and now i am waiting for that tablet to be released.
but Surface Pro 3 is like a tablet and a laptop at the same time! Would be cool to have some PC games on it! Hmmm, should i update my PC with some new components and get Nexus 9 or be happy with my gtx 580 SLI that i have on my pc atm and "only" get the Surface Pro 3 and update my pc later?

i5 256GB 8GB RAM or i7 256GB 8GB RAM

hmmm  :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 September 2014, 14:04:12 by tyvar1 »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 14:08:24 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 11:15:17 by esoomenona »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 02:51:51 »
Show Image

Love it. Go for it OP.

i was looking for a Tablet and nearly got the Nvidia Shield Tablet. but then i saw some leaks about Nexus 9 and now i am waiting for that tablet to be released.
but Surface Pro 3 is like a tablet and a laptop at the same time! Would be cool to have some PC games on it! Hmmm, should i update my PC with some new components and get Nexus 9 or be happy with my gtx 580 SLI that i have on my pc atm and "only" get the Surface Pro 3 and update my pc later?

well depends how much you use your main rig compared to a tablet. If you are always on the run of course the surface is a good companion. if you use the tablet just to check mail on the couch then go for an android tablet and upgrade your PC. my 2c

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
Surface Pro 3 thoughts and alternatives
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 06:51:23 »
Matt3o is probably right. If you don't care about running windows software (but you better make sure, cause many think they don't but end up needing to), any old Android tablet would suffice.

What makes the Surface special is its ability to be a decent tablet and still run Windows with reasonable specs.
I'm back.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 08:32:11 »
Show Image

Love it. Go for it OP.

well depends how much you use your main rig compared to a tablet. If you are always on the run of course the surface is a good companion. if you use the tablet just to check mail on the couch then go for an android tablet and upgrade your PC. my 2c
Matt3o is probably right. If you don't care about running windows software (but you better make sure, cause many think they don't but end up needing to), any old Android tablet would suffice.

What makes the Surface special is its ability to be a decent tablet and still run Windows with reasonable specs.
yeah you are right! I am using my main rig the most and using the tablet for browsing and movies when i am on vacation or on travel. Sometimes in bed and sometimes while I watching TV. So maybe the surface is little overkill!

The thing is that sometimes i play world of Warcraft and diablo at my friends house and saw a video that you can play those games on low settings with surface pro 3. That would be a cool thing to have.

Hmm so hard to decide :(

Edit: and one more thing, the combination of a Surface Pro 3 and Poker II looks so freaking great!
I don't know the dimensions of the nexus 9 but maybe the JD40 keyboard will look great with that tablet.

Well I think I will wait and see and decide when the nexus 9 comes out :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 September 2014, 08:35:17 by tyvar1 »

Offline Matter

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 06:03:50 »
Is it worth the price?

Currently using the Note Pro 12.2 and considering switching over to the Surface Pro 3.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 06:36:20 »
Is it worth the price?

Currently using the Note Pro 12.2 and considering switching over to the Surface Pro 3.
Well, some people use it as there laptops and tablet. So its a great combo for that price!
But if you just going to use it for movies and surfing then a tablet is more recommended :)

Offline genkidama

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 07:19:47 »
I get the point of the SP3 with the combination of a tablet and a notebook. But still it's a heavy price for such a thing, although I know you'll almost pay the same if you buy these things seperately (tablet/notebook). But it seems like a combination of two worlds that only fit 50% of each world and with two seperate products you'll get 100% of both worlds. I'm still thinking about purchasing a SP3, but the price still is hindering me to go to the shop and buy it.
I've read that Microsoft wants to announce the Surface 3 in some time (but it seems before the holidays), will they cut the price of the SP3 then? Suggestions? ^^

Offline epicepee

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 11:27:05 »
Get a ThinkPad.  They aren't as thin or as light as a Surface, but if you really want the portability and touchscreen, get a Thinkpad Yoga or an X1 Carbon Touch.  ThinkPads are better quality than most consumer electronics, though -- they're tougher and more maintainable.  I know people who use models like the T41 -- released in 2003 -- as their main machines!  I would compare the difference between a ThinkPad and a consumer-grade laptop, to that between a mech and a rubber-dome keyboard: it'll cost you a bit more, but it's higher quality and will last ages.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:24:43 »
I get your point and I also think like that, but with the SP3 you'll get the writing as well and I only know Samsung as another company who has such good technology that it feels like writing on paper. And the prize seems to be around the same for both products although SP3 is slightly cheaper. I compared i5 Versions, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:42:10 »
Having owned an SP3 (still do... buy it from me in classifieds plz) I think you'll be better served by a real laptop unless you really, REALLY need the touchscreen, i.e., you are an artist or maybe student. The SP3 has a super-high cool factor, which is why I bought one, but I soon realized it's too small and clumsy for real work, and too big and heavy for tasks that you'd otherwise do on your phone.

Get a ThinkPad.  They aren't as thin or as light as a Surface, but if you really want the portability and touchscreen, get a Thinkpad Yoga or an X1 Carbon Touch.  ThinkPads are better quality than most consumer electronics, though -- they're tougher and more maintainable.  I know people who use models like the T41 -- released in 2003 -- as their main machines!  I would compare the difference between a ThinkPad and a consumer-grade laptop, to that between a mech and a rubber-dome keyboard: it'll cost you a bit more, but it's higher quality and will last ages.

I disagree. Lenovo has run the brand into the ground.   A T41, sure, that's a great machine. But every generation of Lenovo-made Thinkpads has made more and more sacrifices. The difference between TPs and other consumer machines is pretty slim these days.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 13:35:34 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline epicepee

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:45:36 »
The difference between TPs and other consumer machines is pretty slim these days.

That's true as of the most recent generation -- I have a T440 and I really wish I had a T430.  Everything up to now, though, they still have the awesome trackpoints and screen latches and big magnesium frames.  My friend has a T430s, it's just about the perfect laptop.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:52:47 »
Hm, I have had the chance to use an x230t and T410s, and they were both pretty sorry compared to my old T42p and T60p. The x230t couldn't even sit on all four feet properly and the 6-cell battery was this huge, hollow mess.

Maybe some of the other models are better, but my personal experience has not been good.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline vatne

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 13:16:17 »
For the scenario you described I really wouldn't hesitate - it's a huge productivity booster to be able to quickly make notes and draw with the pen, and then to switch to the keyboard for more focused writing. It's really not a case of getting the capabilities of a tablet and a laptop in one - but one where the combination makes it more than either one would by themselves.

Been using a Vaio Flip 15A for the last half year and I'll never consider a laptop without pen and touch again - it would be like asking me to buy a laptop without wifi. I just can't fathom why I can't buy a 30"-40" screen with the same capabilities and hook it up to my desktop : ) I do work with design, photography and art though - so it's capabilities are perfect for me. If you were a coder then the benefits might be less obvious. That being said, it does require some adjustments to your workflow, and changing old habits often takes a bit of time - if you just use it as you would with a mouse and keyboard you might not be that satisfied - but if you embrace the multitude of interaction methods (including the keyboard), it's a whole new world.

There's a lot of choices out there, and which one you should choose is probably not going to become evident before you've used one for a while. The different models all have their strengths and weaknesses, but your main sticking point seems to be price?! I don't think you should expect any major price cuts on the SP3 till well after the SP4 has been released. You do get a student discount though, don't you? I wouldn't entirely write off the i3 either though, from what I've read it's pretty good for normal tasks (not so sure about the gaming though). As others have mentioned the SP1/2 are also excellent devices - but for me personally the screens are a bit on the small side (but then I think the 15.6" Vaio is on the small side : ).

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 12:56:26 »
The combo with Surface Pro and a 60% keyboard is so freaking gorgeous!  :thumb:
I think i will wait until Surface Pro 4 with Broadwell comes out!

http://i.imgur.com/62wSUS4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/91U8gU5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/T2iI033.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pOSWO4n.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bSDdPda.jpg

Offline mikew0w

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 16:04:44 »
I just found what I think is a decent deal on a Dell venue 11 with the i5 for $420 out the door.
I think that is Dells attempt to clone the SP3.

I'll post a shot of it with my 60% when I receive it.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:41:13 »
I just found what I think is a decent deal on a Dell venue 11 with the i5 for $420 out the door.

Where in the world did you find it for that low? That's like half off the baseline i5 model.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:43:09 »

Where in the world did you find it for that low? That's like half off the baseline i5 model.

Whoops, nothing to see here.