Author Topic: doom hype  (Read 3769 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
doom hype
« on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 21:55:36 »

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
Re: doom hype
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 22:09:39 »
I'm not a hardcore Doom fan but the name carries weight and I'm sure it will be good.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 22:29:09 »
I'm not a hardcore Doom fan but the name carries weight and I'm sure it will be good.

what u mean like doom 3 was so good right?

haha.. i thought d3 was ok.. but kinda boring cuz the only thing they can do with the tight corridors was make things jump out from behind you..

that's not scary for the 30'th time... it's still scary at least up till the 15th time, but not much more..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 22:38:43 »
Doom's good, but yeah, the twisty maze of little dark corridors and monsters jumping out from hidden cupboards all the time gets a bit boring.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:03:16 »
Doom's good, but yeah, the twisty maze of little dark corridors and monsters jumping out from hidden cupboards all the time gets a bit boring.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:20:51 »
Looks like they learned nothing from the travesty that was Doom 3.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 18:53:36 »
Looks like they learned nothing from the travesty that was Doom 3.

D3 was pretty good, though. Ground breaking lighting and shadow effects at the time, very atmospheric, creepy when it had to be and actiony when appropriate. I wouldn't call it a scary game, but it was well designed and fun.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:00:28 »
I thought it was a bland and boring corridor shooter that had already been done better years before by games like Half-Life. Doom is about sprawling, labyrinthine, chaotic environments filled with an onslaught of enemies, levels that change shape as a result of your actions, a pumping metal-synth soundtrack, etc. None of that was in Doom 3.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 22:15:31 »
I thought it was a bland and boring corridor shooter that had already been done better years before by games like Half-Life. Doom is about sprawling, labyrinthine, chaotic environments filled with an onslaught of enemies, levels that change shape as a result of your actions, a pumping metal-synth soundtrack, etc. None of that was in Doom 3.

Doom 3 was more about a single monster suddenly jumping out of a concealed cupboard in an otherwise empty room.

The pinky intro was kinda cute :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Malphas

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 05:40:10 »
Honestly, I couldn't believe what was happening at times when I first played Doom 3. Lights flickering off and camp satanic laughing? It's like the developers drew all their inspiration on how to make the game suspenseful and scary from some carnival ghost train.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 05:56:42 »
Nah. Doom 1 and 2 was about running around and fighting a lot of monsters at once. That was the point of it. Lots of violence all the time. Not jump-scares.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 10:37:21 »
Doom3 was a good game for it's time, but at the same time it was held back by technological limitations from today's point of view. With the new version of tech6 this new Doom is supposed to be on, it has some real potential.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 03:02:26 »
Does anyone have any links to leaked video of the gameplay they showed?

Offline divito

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:22:58 »
Doom 3 was fine as a standalone game, good in some ways; a technical limit-pusher in the graphics, lighting/shadows department.

It tried a little too hard to compete with Half-Life and others and lost what Doom 1 and 2 were originally derived as. That's where I think people who were big fans of the classics really hated on Doom 3.

The news of Doom 4 being a reboot of Doom is pretty solid. Word is that they're not going to be showing any other footage until closer to a 2015 release, gives me more confidence that they'll do a quality job. And when I saw the video the other day, that iconic door-opening sound gave me such nostalgia.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:25:12 »
Doom 3 was fine as a standalone game, good in some ways; a technical limit-pusher in the graphics, lighting/shadows department.

It tried a little too hard to compete with Half-Life and others and lost what Doom 1 and 2 were originally derived as. That's where I think people who were big fans of the classics really hated on Doom 3.

The news of Doom 4 being a reboot of Doom is pretty solid. Word is that they're not going to be showing any other footage until closer to a 2015 release, gives me more confidence that they'll do a quality job. And when I saw the video the other day, that iconic door-opening sound gave me such nostalgia.

the doom 3 shadow back then was the graphics pusher..  we were all like... Oooooo.. but it's so dark we can't see nothing... 

but yea... gotta push my 6800gtx...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:40:33 »

If they can incorporate the sounds from the original, that will make a huge difference :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:32:37 »
Imagines dubsteppy reinterpretations of the original midi tunes...

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:34:44 »

Same here. I have never been a fan of any Doom game, but I played almost all (all?) of them and am looking forward to seeing what they will do next with the franchise.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Lanx

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:38:05 »
ah old ass computers, pretty sure these sounds were playing through that mono speaker in the computer case.

yes that's right, that was a real speaker for sounds and ****, not just for motherboard beep codes!

and then around this time we had the "multimedia" upgrade

usually consisted of a soundblaster 16, in ISA!

a cd rom 2x or 4x if you got the high end

and 2 stereo speakers.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:22:30 »
Ah, those sounds, such memories ...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:29:16 »
tell me this doesn't put you in the mood to launch swaths of hot slugs at swarms of rabid imps and pinkies with a double-barreled shotgun
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:31:52 by noisyturtle »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:39:47 »
^ Totally, yes!

But then I would load up the game and see the cartoon graphics, and the thrill would slowly start to fade.

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:10:53 »
Seriously so jacked. Just hearing that door open brought back so many memories!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 19:18:58 »
tell me this doesn't put you in the mood to launch swaths of hot slugs at swarms of rabid imps and pinkies with a double-barreled shotgun

that's the soundtrack to freedom :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 20:40:13 »
Soundtrack can be downloaded from: http://doom.ocremix.org/main.html

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 01:56:11 »
One of the guys I work with didn't know what Doom was. He's only 19 so I guess that's an excuse..?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 02:02:17 »
One of the guys I work with didn't know what Doom was. He's only 19 so I guess that's an excuse..?

failure of the education-system to teach children the good stuff..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 02:10:46 »

But hasn't he even heard of Doom 3 - that happened not that many years ago :eek:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 02:34:39 »

But hasn't he even heard of Doom 3 - that happened not that many years ago :eek:

He had no idea. Our instructor on this Unix course we were on said about how she used to run Doom on her older Unix machines. And he had no idea what it was.

He plays LoL, so that probably explains a lot... ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 02:55:37 »

He had no idea. Our instructor on this Unix course we were on said about how she used to run Doom on her older Unix machines. And he had no idea what it was.

He plays LoL, so that probably explains a lot... ;)

h8n' on lol?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:04:56 »
;)

I play Dota, I don't hate LoL, I was just poking fun at it :P

Offline RED-404

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:39:12 »
And now I'm going to go play psDooM as root. Bad things are going to happen.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:59:39 »
And now I'm going to go play psDooM as root. Bad things are going to happen.

I never bother to get that going, as much as I wanted to :))

Offline osi

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 05:12:07 »
Chex quest anyone??

:D

Offline pcandkbguy

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:28:03 »
will be bad unfortunately. fps genre is slow and boring nowadays. yearn for the arena shooters of the 90s that's for sure

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 20:38:47 »
I just want to take doom marine and have gay martian sex with him.

Offline dante

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 21:20:40 »
Brutal Doom looks better than this

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 07:13:01 »
I think this is going to be pretty badass. I'm sure the graphics and such will be great but I hope the game play is good.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien