Author Topic: Recommend a replacement for IME3.0, 800dpi, no accel  (Read 10567 times)

Offline JackCY

Recommend a replacement for IME3.0, 800dpi, no accel
« on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 07:57:47 »
Hi,

I'm desperately looking for a new mouse with around 800dpi that doesn't suffer from acceleration, etc. and is as big or bigger than IME3.0.
I don't need any fancy features only require it to work, especially the scroll wheel that seems to be a never ending issue for many mice IME3.0 including.

Right handed or ambidextrous.
5 buttons is just fine for me.
800dpi or close to it, or able to set it up using Windows settings 0.5 (4/11), 0.25 (3/11), ..., setting 0.75 (5/11) is not allowed or usable.
As big as it can get.
Optical preferred but not required.
Bump in the middle preferred, with main buttons low, lower than Zowie EC1 if possible.

If no such mouse exists, which seems to be the case from my research :(
Any threads, links, webpages, about making custom mice?

What's the cheapest mouse to buy with the above features except the size? To mod it, implant the guts into IME3.0 or make a custom bigger shell.
Anyone making some?

Mionix Naos 7000 is small and has too narrow main buttons with stupid side edges, small.
Zowie EC1 is as close at it gets now to IME3.0 but it is one step smaller and suffers from a scroll wheel bug and beyond ridiculous dpi options where only usable one seems to be 0.5*1150=575dpi which is a bit small for me on 1920px. It would probably be fine as 1150dpi on 2560px but the dpi option for 1920px is too small or too big. Small.
SS Rival, I think suffers from acceleration etc. has some moody buttons when pressed together and the bump is not in the middle but rear.
Razer DA has an annoying right mouse button edge, button shape is annoying. Small and everyone seems to complain about it's software.
QFR red

Offline Sniping

Re: Recommend a replacement for IME3.0, 800dpi, no accel
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 00:23:31 »
Have you considered the Zowie FK yet?

Offline JackCY

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 02:12:10 »
I did  (FK1) and that's the last try I kind of have, but it's definitely smaller than the EC1 :(
Logitech never seemed to fit my hand and the placement of side buttons? Completely out of reach with some soft rubbery sticking out buttons if I remember, I guess it did not change throughout the years even with G400s or what is the latets incarnation.

Plus I tend to not favor the extra mouse buttons that then are under my ring finger and most mice do not disable them and I can accidentally press them with a ring finger.

I will upload some sketches with measurements of IME3.0, EC1, Naos for comparison, after I deal with sending things back.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 02:14:15 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline JackCY

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 03:30:29 »
Europe.

G400s costs $69 now. And from pictures I can see that the ergonomic grip won't fit my hand. It's made for small baby hands.

Does Zowie plan to update and fix the EC series? Give it more usable DPI settings and remove the scroll wheel manufacturing/design error at least?
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 03:32:02 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:00:50 »
lol, my hands are on the smaller side... and G400 hurt my pinkie.

What about the new FK1?

Offline deltuhhh

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 13:13:34 »

What about the new FK1?

I too also vouch for the FK1. From what I've heard, it's fantastic.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:26:46 »
Europe.

G400s costs $69 now. And from pictures I can see that the ergonomic grip won't fit my hand. It's made for small baby hands.

Does Zowie plan to update and fix the EC series? Give it more usable DPI settings and remove the scroll wheel manufacturing/design error at least?

I have the G400s and I have reasonably large hands, with relatively long fingers. It fits my hand perfectly. Although I have to admit that on the uttermost right side, there is room left between my ring finger and pink, so I push them towards the side. Matter of taste I guess, it allows me to do both claw grip and palm grip.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline JackCY

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:26:24 »

What about the new FK1?

FK1 is being ordered as replacement for a defective EC1.

I have the G400s and I have reasonably large hands, with relatively long fingers. It fits my hand perfectly. Although I have to admit that on the uttermost right side, there is room left between my ring finger and pink, so I push them towards the side. Matter of taste I guess, it allows me to do both claw grip and palm grip.

My hands are from the wrist, from the mark of the gamer - can't find a proper name for that bone bump on the wrist, to the tip of my middle finger about 21cm. Long fingers, not much padding in the palm hence I can palm a lot and I'm not sure any mouse fits my hand palm grip.

Usually I put that knuckle on the wrist off the table edge, my right ring finger to the furthest on right side of a mouse with my pinky floating.
Touching the top arch of the mouse in the back of it with my knuckles and my middle finger all the way to the front of the mouse. If possible I rest the length of my fingers on the mouse along with my knuckles. I can't really feel IME3.0 in the palm, the rear most point of contact is the thumb and pinky. I can put my other hand's thumb between my palm and the back of the mouse, there is so much space.

I guess it's a hybrid claw/palm grip.

Bigger mice are obviously more comfy to use all day long. Less tension, less stress on the hand trying to hold something small.

Will have to read more about a DA 2013, can it adjust the DPI in more than the three predefined settings?
The quality seems to not be that great from what one sees in photos and comments after years of use. Creaking sounds, flaking surface, mouse dying after a year, ... moody Synapse.

Too bad they don't have the products displayed in shops here, been there a few times and no chance to try mice, only a few "rubbish gaming keyboards" I would avoid like the plague are sometimes on display to try.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 11:47:50 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline JackCY

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:34:51 »
As promised, the pictures of traced mice with measurements.

You can see the next mouse faded since the camera flash shoot it out through the paper. Clearly EC1 has the same tail ground shape as IME3.0, the rest is different.

The big + sign as well as the arrow denotes a sensor position. Yes both mice apart from IME3.0 have the sensor a little off center to the right.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 16:38:23 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline JackCY

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:05:26 »
Also checked the R.A.T again but it seems that only the 5 and higher ones are size adjustable, which means a laser mouse and not sure a good one. The 3 version should be fine sensor wise but not otherwise.

Other big mice, but laser again:
Roccat Kone Plus - not sold here anymore but seems to be in foreign online shops
CoolerMaster CM Storm Sentinel Advance II - is in shops

Anyone  has any experience with these?
Acceleration etc. issues?

Disadvantage of laser compared to optical? Max speed and lift off?

---

Might try the DA since it's the easiest to get, will see how the Zowie exchange goes, don't want to wait forever for emails from the shop again. If I would like the DA I could just send the defective EC1 back and be done.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:51:30 by JackCY »
QFR red

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:23:15 »
Kone XTD Optical if anything. I wouldn't trust build quality of the older ones (before KPO/Savu/Lua). The original Kone was just awful and Pyra was still quite questionable.

Offline JackCY

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 18:53:14 »
Oh good suggestion. Can't find the optical version in shops :|
Have to try more search in the morning. I really don't know all these different mice. It's too bad people get stuck to Razer or Logitech and that's all they often recommend no matter what one asks, so thanks for these different less popular options :)
QFR red

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 19:22:37 »
You can try Kone Pure Optical/Military too, but it's a bit smaller than XTD. I think XTD Optical has just been released, thus it might take a while before it shows up in stores. These new Roccat mice are pretty solid though.

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:12:59 »
CM Storm Alcor.
Only thing wrong is some scrollwheel trouble and the high lod.
I've heard that CM Storm fixed the lod in some of the newer firmware updates.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:08:44 »
What about the Mionix Avior 7000? I used the IntelliMouse for a long long loooong time (literally till I had to replace 1 or 2 because they died). Just ordered the Avior 7000 in the hope that it will remind me of the glorious fragging times I had with my IntelliMouse 1.1 / 2.0 / 3.0.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline divito

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 17:54:18 »
Didn't notice it in the OP, but why replacing the 3.0? And why not with another 3.0?
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline JackCY

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 02:55:28 »
I've tried Naos 7000, didn't like the narrow buttons, the surface and the tracking sucked on a brand new mat. Returned it. Don't think Avior 7000 will be better.

Didn't notice it in the OP, but why replacing the 3.0? And why not with another 3.0?
Because IME3.0 is not sold anymore. Only some Chinese copies are on ebay or aliexpress as far as I know and for ridiculous money sometimes.
And because 400-450DPI is way too small for anything above 1280px resolution for me.

CM Storm Alcor is tiny. Sentinel Advance II is bigger but has a laser. No idea about quality of it even sensor wise other than I would avoid laser if possible.
QFR red

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:18:58 »
What mat were you using?

I think g400/s is probably your best bet
SS rival acceleration issues supposedly were fixed with some kind of update that addressed something in the SROM.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:22:55 by the1onewolf »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 00:03:28 »
What mat were you using?

I think g400/s is probably your best bet
SS rival acceleration issues supposedly were fixed with some kind of update that addressed something in the SROM.

So true, a particular mouse pad needs to be used with a mouse you intend to purchase.  I have several G400/G400S and none of them liked my Roccat Hiro 3D pad.  Couldn't understand why because the cursors all went haywire when you moved the G400S across the surface.  Although the Hiro 3D pad liked all my Mionix Mice and Zowie's with glee.  Plus I always liked the feel of that mouse pad compared to most others being sold everywhere.

So maybe the G400S wanted a cloth based pad who knows, but I still use my Hiro 3D with the input devices that still like working upon it's surface.  Always make sure the current mouse pad you have works with your intended mouse.  Although I still have several mouse pads made by Steel Series, Razer and Roccat you sometimes have to break one out to see if you can find a suitable, companion mouse pad for your new mouse purchase.

You never know what will work together before you think it's smart to return a mouse back to it's retailer, maybe try another pad instead  8) .

Offline osi

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:50:18 »
Just picked up one of these. I can let you know how it goes - so far so good

GIGABYTE M6800

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 13:49:02 »
I saw that mouse on slickdeals.
I wanted to grab it for a bit under 10 bucks (I think) but the sensor looks off center in the product picture.

Offline osi

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 06:35:47 »
It is indeed slightly off center but I adapt and adjust!

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 11:02:17 »
Plus I tend to not favor the extra mouse buttons that then are under my ring finger and most mice do not disable them and I can accidentally press them with a ring finger.

FWIW, this doesn't happen to me with the FK1.  I have to really try and stretch my fingers unnaturally to press the top side button with my ring finger.  However when I did that I found that the buttons on that side don't do anything.  Does the FK1 automatically disable the side you don't use?  How can you switch it if you wanted to?

The other thing I would suggest is holding the right side of the mouse with the pinky rather than the ring finger.  Index and ring fingers on the main buttons, and middle finger on the scroll wheel.  This makes a lot of sense if you utilize the middle click for a lot and is actually comfortable to do on the FK1.  The only gripe I have is that the middle click takes more force than the main button clicks.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 September 2014, 11:05:50 by caseyandgina »

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 11:12:09 »
Will have to read more about a DA 2013, can it adjust the DPI in more than the three predefined settings?
The quality seems to not be that great from what one sees in photos and comments after years of use. Creaking sounds, flaking surface, mouse dying after a year, ... moody Synapse.

IMHO, it's rubbish.