Author Topic: losing weight while sitting  (Read 9510 times)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
losing weight while sitting
« on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 16:45:43 »
I'm fat lazy and un-motivated.
I don't want to excercise, diet and make any effort.
I also sit like 10 hours a day and i drink 10 iced cokes a day.

Help me lose weight.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
Re: losing weight while sitting
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 16:54:58 »

Help me lose weight.

I feel like this is probably a semi-serious post at most, but I'm going to take it seriously and reply anyways. From my experience (which may not be very helpful since I am a teenager with a higher metabolism, and probably a stronger desire to be trendy/in style/whatever), you won't be able to make any long term cuts to your weight and improve your health unless you truly feel a strong motivation to.

Basic guide to losing weight is just to consume less calories than you burn. If you sit in a chair, you don't burn very many calories at all, so you should probably start with cutting down the cokes, and replacing it with water instead.

I think I may have just wasted my time in a way, but on the other hand, no time is wasted when you're typing on a HHKB.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:09:59 »
Sports. Do them.

A lot of people tell me "I have no energy at the end of the day, job/kids/whatever". The essential thing to understand is that if you go through with it for a while, the exercise will give you MORE not less energy during the day. You do not have to do something boring like jogging. Just try to find something you like, be openminded about trying things, and commit once you find something you really enjoy.

The other part is eating. Diets have always been a thing I do not understand. Why exactly would you starve yourself for a few weeks and then go back to what you were doing? Instead, think about what you can do and maintain long term. The good thing is that you do not have to do anything quite as drastic as dieting, eating two carrots during the day. The hard thing is that you have to make it a new lifestyle, and old habits die hard.

If there are a lot of things you know you are doing wrong, that also means they are easy to address. You drink 10 cokes a day? Replace them with something else. Does not have to be something you do not like. Just something that does not contain as much sugar. The most important thing is commitment. Some people need to be really methodical about everything. That is why they follow diets where others tell them exactly what to do. Maybe that works for some people, but I would personally challenge myself to be stronger than that. To hell with those people. I know what is good for me and what is not, and I will shape my own life in such a way that I am strong and healthy. Take pride in your body, regardless of your weight. It is yours. Treat it with care and when you accomplish things with it, feel proud as $%^#.

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:14:45 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:10:54 »
Yeah.

Coke -> water

Sit on a yoga ball instead.

Start there.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:55:31 »
i read that title wrong...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 19:03:26 »
i read that title wrong...

Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

As far as losing weight while sitting..  you can't do that AND drink 10 cola-s..

Here is why Passive weightloss is very -Ineffective-

The less you move, the less hungry you are, 

now you Decide to, ALSO eat less,

This causes you move EVEN LESS than before,

The system continues to balance, until you either become severely malnourished,

OR more likely, GIVE UP and continue the Fattie-Life...

So Nope,  it's not really possible to sit the weight off healthily...

Now Sports...    THIS is also NOT the solution for lazy people...   lazy people don't want to play sports.... So, forcing themselves to play or do something they don't want to do,  is just as likely to lead to Giving-Up and m0re fatness...

So...  What is the Laziest you can be,  and still look passable as n0n-uber-fattie.. 

20min workout every other day...     

day 1, lift weights

day 2, jog

day 3, lift weights

day 4, jog 

1 rest day between each workout day.

The reason is... this is a much smaller commitment than the crash workouts that call for 30-40min every day.. INSANE and unsustainable..

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 19:10:55 »
If waters not your thing, try La Croix or other flavored waters. Tastes like ****ty Sprite

Cubii... maybe this **** is crazy enough to work,

Take the stairs whenever possible. Get off a stop early when if commuting, walk a little

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 19:16:21 »
If waters not your thing, try La Croix or other flavored waters. Tastes like ****ty Sprite

Show Image

Take the stairs whenever possible. Get off a stop early when if commuting, walk a little

Not practical advice..

Fat people on the internet are typically saddo-s who self medicate with F00d..

They will not switch to crummy tasting food, because that will not alleviate their depression..

And Fat people are epic-lazy..  that's the whole point,  they will not suddenly WANT to break a sweat..

and More importantly, fat people are very insecure about being Fat.. so they'd do anything within their power to avoid sweating IN PUBLIC...   that's why they will never get off a - stop - early  or  take - the -  stairs....

The only solution for us, is to compartmentalize our workouts.. such that they are convenient and do not stifle our internet addiction..

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 19:38:51 »
crack cocaine and meth
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 19:58:17 »
If you can remove grain and refined sugar from your diet you can drop weight without exercise. Good luck. 

Offline kzhk

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 20:22:07 »
Unfortunately the way to lose weight is exactly the road you don't want to take...

What you need to do :
1) Sport : it increases your body energy expense (metabolism), not only during effort but also at rest. Best sports for losing weight : swimming, bike, running. But if there is a sport you enjoy or want to try, go for it. Also sport has a positive impact on the mood and help fight impulse to eat junk food.
2) Change your eating habits : it is not so much about doing a diet, but to change your eating habits on the long term. Avoid processed food, sugar and soda, prefer raw food. Think about the idea of cooking for yourself. The aim is to avoid love-hate relationship with food, where you deprive yourself with a diet, get frustrated and  then empty the fridge on an impulse.
3) Track your weight everyday. The aim is to be able to see your progress (which is rewarding) and to be able to react if you go off-track. Also there is tons of apps that can help for motivation, social features...

Of course all of that can only work if you are committed to a change, which is not obvious from your post... Nonetheless you don't need to start big and bring over-ambitious objectives. Perhaps you can try to lose one kilo, then another one... maybe you can get hooked up in an healthier daily routine that way. The thing is that to be efficient, it shouldn't be so much about loosing weight, but more about making a change in your eating and living habits for the long term.

It's probably not the message you want to hear, but it is something possible. You need to find the motivation to commit to it. Three years ago, after a difficult and stressful period I realized I was overweight, more than I thought. It was a wake-up call for me and I lost 20 kilos over 4-5 months. That was quite a drastic change.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 20:54:04 »

Show Image

I hate these kind of products, targeted at lazy people because they do something that seems to require very little effort. They are about as effective as they look. Unless you are old, disabled, or have some kind of injury, I would stay away from these kind of products (I realized you posted it because OP wanted something he could do while sitting down). If you have a healthy young body, do some actual exercise. You are not going to gain strength or burn fat from making careful circular motions on one of these things. You should not try to strive for something that is as easy as possible. Go for making yourself strong enough so that things that may seem hard now, will become easy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 20:56:18 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 21:39:52 »
I have lost over 30 lbs since Jan 2014 by simply changing my diet (205-172). It took a while to get used to, but it was easier with a bit of a mental shift. Snack on fruit. Any fruit, and as much as you want. You are going to have sugar cravings. You are going to try to curb your sugar intake with fiber. Avoiding refined sugars is pretty much your main goal. Think of grains as sugars.

Eat protein, fat, green stuff, fruit, sweet potatos, plantain, avocados, etc...

I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast pretty much every day. I do a hash of sweet potato some days. I sometimes deep fry plantain in bacon fat as a starch to go with it.

My 0.02$... Oh ya, you will feel more motivated to be more active if you start to lose weight.

I wish you well. :)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 21:41:23 »

Help me lose weight.
Like “Press this red button and you will win the jackpot”, :)). Well, seriously, there is a no-effort-press-this-button-solution to lose weight, it is called gastric band and it’s a surgery. But if you are not only lazy, but also timid, then there is not much hope for you, I guess  :rolleyes:.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 21:50:15 by Eszett »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 22:21:31 »
The 5:2 diet is quite popular now. Out of the seven days in each week, eat normally for five days, then eat almost nothing for two days.

For eating less every day, one trick I've heard of would be to cook/acquire only a half a portion but pretend, make-believe, tricking yourself that you are eating a full portion. For instance, every other bite could be a make-believe bite. Afterwards, you will feel satisfied that you have eaten a full meal. That's the theory anyway. It would require concentration, obviously.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 23:32:54 »
Sit and Be Fit: 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 01:00:19 »
The 5:2 diet is quite popular now. Out of the seven days in each week, eat normally for five days, then eat almost nothing for two days.

For eating less every day, one trick I've heard of would be to cook/acquire only a half a portion but pretend, make-believe, tricking yourself that you are eating a full portion. For instance, every other bite could be a make-believe bite. Afterwards, you will feel satisfied that you have eaten a full meal. That's the theory anyway. It would require concentration, obviously.

This is -popular- ?? LOLOLOLOL

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 01:05:54 »
Get into Prison fast because there you shall watch the fat drip away from your body.

First avoid getting shanked in any cramp spaces, because you are forced to stay in an open area.  Also the guards will direct you to one hour of exercise in which you will pump the bar bells for months and gain valuable muscle mass.

Next when you're put into solitary you will build up massive tone with push ups, sit ups and scrunches till every ligament hurts.  When you exercise you won't have time to think about your failures just build up the strength to take out that arsehole in the next cell to yours.

Live for revenge because in jail there's nothing but time and the ability to focus all your energies into personally fixing someone  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 01:08:32 by Elrick »

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 08:53:16 »
I have lost over 30 lbs since Jan 2014 by simply changing my diet (205-172). It took a while to get used to, but it was easier with a bit of a mental shift. Snack on fruit. Any fruit, and as much as you want. You are going to have sugar cravings. You are going to try to curb your sugar intake with fiber. Avoiding refined sugars is pretty much your main goal. Think of grains as sugars.

I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast pretty much every day. I do a hash of sweet potato some days. I sometimes deep fry plantain in bacon fat as a starch to go with it.

My 0.02$... Oh ya, you will feel more motivated to be more active if you start to lose weight.

This sounds a lot like what I've been doing lately. Have you given up dairy as well by chance? I'm considering it, but I love my morning coffee with half-and-half too much. Also, cheese. And yogurt!

But yeah, my pantry is nearly empty (mostly just coffee, some canned tomatoes, canned fish, etc.) and my fruit basket is overflowing. And bags and bags of spinach. Yum!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 08:58:14 »
Sports. My weight dropped off when I quit drinking but since starting grid iron I've been able to eat whatever I want without gaining a gram.

Edit: I know this is asking how to lose weight while sitting but to be honest this is pretty unrealistic.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:00:10 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:02:59 »
Only way to lose weight while sitting is to not eat ever again, start smoking and doing hard drugs, and spend the rest of your life in a sauna.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:07:05 »
Find some sort of physical activity that you enjoy, and do it frequently.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline osi

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:10:00 »

Sex

Offline Lurch

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:14:48 »

Sex

Great example!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:15:30 »
We need a thread for losing weight while sleeping.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:16:13 »
We need a thread for losing weight while sleeping.

Coma diet
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:24:26 »
So, what I'm gathering from this thread is that eating better and exercising is the key to weight loss. I feel like we've really broken some new ground here.

That people still want a magical formula to weight loss kills me. Eat better (and less). Exercise more. Works like a champ.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:31:12 »
How to lose weight while sitting:

1) Build a lot of muscle. Like, a lot.
2) Let muscle burn calories
???
4) Profit

Or just do some exercise and eat well.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:32:13 »
So, what I'm gathering from this thread is that eating better and exercising is the key to weight loss. I feel like we've really broken some new ground here.

That people still want a magical formula to weight loss kills me. Eat better (and less). Exercise more. Works like a champ.

Most people just want a pill to take.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:39:35 »
I have lost about 35lbs since May 9th by doing nothing more than cutting out carbs. So pretty much Atkins phase 1. I usually had 1-2 cheat meals per week, and I took a week off two separate times. I didn't change my exercise routine (non-existent) or anything else. I still have about 20lbs to lose, but I think I have hit the point where I will be forced to add in exercise to see further results.

Not sure if the OP is serious or not, but clearly some people are taking this seriously so here you go. I think the number one thing that has helped me is cutting out processed sugar, especially by cutting out cokes and such. I have been doing water, black coffee, and occasional diet drinks.

I do miss beer, but I have had some on my cheat days.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:42:50 »

This sounds a lot like what I've been doing lately. Have you given up dairy as well by chance? I'm considering it, but I love my morning coffee with half-and-half too much. Also, cheese. And yogurt!

But yeah, my pantry is nearly empty (mostly just coffee, some canned tomatoes, canned fish, etc.) and my fruit basket is overflowing. And bags and bags of spinach. Yum!

Ya, it is a pretty solid way to eat.  Technically, I am supposed to stop eating dairy.  I have not focused on that though.  For you in the US it might make sense to avoid it since all of your milk has added sugar. 

I grew up on goats milk, so I have switched from cow to goat milk.  I don't suggest that most people will be able to do that since goats milk is much stronger.  I also use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in place of dairy quite often.

I did not try to avoid cheese, but since I gave up all grain based stuff like bread, I didn't have stuff to put it on.  Without really trying I have basically removed cheese from my diet.  Not sure how I did that because I LOVE cheese. 

Yes, spinach is awesome.  We go through serious amounts of it.  :)

If I was to put a label on the way I eat, it would basically be the Paleo diet.  I basically started by trying this for 30 days, and then I just stuck with it for the majority of my meals...  I lost about 20 lbs in the first 30 days or so and then another 10 over the past few months...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:44:01 »
I have lost about 35lbs since May 9th by doing nothing more than cutting out carbs. So pretty much Atkins phase 1. I usually had 1-2 cheat meals per week, and I took a week off two separate times. I didn't change my exercise routine (non-existent) or anything else. I still have about 20lbs to lose, but I think I have hit the point where I will be forced to add in exercise to see further results.

Not sure if the OP is serious or not, but clearly some people are taking this seriously so here you go. I think the number one thing that has helped me is cutting out processed sugar, especially by cutting out cokes and such. I have been doing water, black coffee, and occasional diet drinks.

Pretty much exactly what I did as well.  I am down 30 lbs since Jan 2014...

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 09:47:43 »
Eat less food.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 10:00:42 »
Eat less food.

Intermittent fasting or fasting one day each week works.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 10:08:18 »

Yeah, my plan was and still is to transition this to Paleo. I have done paleo before and like it. So I will basically be adding fruits and nuts to my low carb diet. I didn't see your first post until after I wrote mine, but I am in agreement that avoiding the refined sugars is key. And wehn I do eat sweet stuff now, it tastes soooo sweet.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:13:19 »
If you're too lazy or busy to exorcise then just eat healthy. I feel better and look better since switching what I eat daily. Just try it out and it will work if you stick to it.

Offline divito

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:18:33 »
Doing the keto diet is an easy way to lose weight. Someone I know did it and lost 80 pounds in about 8 months. He's now been like 100 pounds less than his starting weight for over a year. I lost about 30 pounds doing the diet before I stopped, with very little exercise. I will probably go back on it soon, but it gets hard without carbs; I actually found a low-carb beer that sort of helped at times as well.

As for doing other diets, they were simply too fad-ish or stuff like paleo where it had like vegan and hippie proponents which isn't really something I'd ever endorse.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:20:12 »
I find it hard to stick to any type of diet, besides the 'see food diet', with a wife and kids.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:28:07 »

Yeah, my plan was and still is to transition this to Paleo. I have done paleo before and like it. So I will basically be adding fruits and nuts to my low carb diet. I didn't see your first post until after I wrote mine, but I am in agreement that avoiding the refined sugars is key. And wehn I do eat sweet stuff now, it tastes soooo sweet.

I find that I am WAY more sensitive to sweet and salt now.  Lots of my favorite foods from before just taste too salty now. 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:31:38 »
Doing the keto diet is an easy way to lose weight. Someone I know did it and lost 80 pounds in about 8 months. He's now been like 100 pounds less than his starting weight for over a year. I lost about 30 pounds doing the diet before I stopped, with very little exercise. I will probably go back on it soon, but it gets hard without carbs; I actually found a low-carb beer that sort of helped at times as well.

As for doing other diets, they were simply too fad-ish or stuff like paleo where it had like vegan and hippie proponents which isn't really something I'd ever endorse.

As with all diets, you need to adjust it to what works for you.  For me, I was able to ONLY focus on removing refined sugars and grains and that basically put me on the path I needed to improve my diet as a whole...

Offline jalaj

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:32:30 »
OP is a troll.
Implies he wants to lose weight but not willing to make changes to his current lifestyle that will accommodate a physical change.
That's a paradox.

Doing the same daily routine expecting a different outcome is silly.
You're going to have alter up your current lifestyle to expect change, which everyone in this thread already suggested in some manner.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:33:49 »
I find it hard to stick to any type of diet, besides the 'see food diet', with a wife and kids.

If everyone in the house is not eating the same diet, it is SOOO hard.  I would almost say impossible.  The only way I have been successful is because my wife and little one are all on the same diet.  No way to easily cheat because all the food we have in the house fits into the way we eat.

If I was trying to do this with everyone else in the house eating crap, I would have a REALLY hard time and I am sure I would not have stuck with it.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:35:11 »
OP is a troll.
Implies he wants to lose weight but not willing to make changes to his current lifestyle that will accommodate a physical change.
That's a paradox.

Doing the same daily routine expecting a different outcome is silly.
You're going to have alter up your current lifestyle to expect change, which everyone in this thread already suggested in some manner.

true, but with lots of feedback and success stories, he may realize that some changes to his diet could get him moving in the right direction without substantial effort...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:40:01 »

If everyone in the house is not eating the same diet, it is SOOO hard.  I would almost say impossible.  The only way I have been successful is because my wife and little one are all on the same diet.  No way to easily cheat because all the food we have in the house fits into the way we eat.

If I was trying to do this with everyone else in the house eating crap, I would have a REALLY hard time and I am sure I would not have stuck with it.

True that! I'm only successful because my wife and I both eat healthy. It's funny at first we called it a diet but now it's just life so we say we eat healthy. :) amazing how good you will look and feel plus pro long your life if you just change what you eat. Ps we are mostly vegetarian now and also dairy free. Which is very easy since there are brands like boca and gardein out there. Plus target, cub, rainbow, whole foods, etc sell meat free and dairy free alternatives. I drink coconut milk by so delicious and she drinks soy milk.

Offline Lurch

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:47:56 »

True that! I'm only successful because my wife and I both eat healthy. It's funny at first we called it a diet but now it's just life so we say we eat healthy. :) amazing how good you will look and feel plus pro long your life if you just change what you eat. Ps we are mostly vegetarian now and also dairy free. Which is very easy since there are brands like boca and gardein out there. Plus target, cub, rainbow, whole foods, etc sell meat free and dairy free alternatives. I drink coconut milk by so delicious and she drinks soy milk.

ALMOND/HEMP MILK OR BUST! :p :-* ;D

Offline jameslr

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:49:26 »
OP is muted it seems. Must have been all the spam posting. At any rate, I'm interested in picking up a healthier lifestyle and being more fit. I don't think I could give up grains and giving up soda for me is really hard. I quit smoking over 12 years ago (smoked a pack a day for 8 years) and that was way easier than giving up soda. I'm about 35 lb overweight (215 right now), so I need to do something. I still do pushups and situps to keep my core strong, but I have belly fat.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:52:52 »

Ya, I have been having a hard time calling what I eat in this thread a 'diet' because it has such a bad stigma around it.  Everyone is on a diet, even if it is a diet of coke and junk food.  Diet just means 'this is what I eat'...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:54:52 »

ALMOND/HEMP MILK OR BUST! :p :-* ;D

I drink a lot of unsweetened almond milk now days.  I tried some unsweetened unflavored hemp milk last week and damn, I could not get on board.  Maybe if I get it unsweetened and vanilla flavored I could do it, but it just didn't taste very good.  Tasted like I was drinking a bush...  Haha...

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:55:13 »
OP is muted it seems. Must have been all the spam posting. At any rate, I'm interested in picking up a healthier lifestyle and being more fit. I don't think I could give up grains and giving up soda for me is really hard. I quit smoking over 12 years ago (smoked a pack a day for 8 years) and that was way easier than giving up soda. I'm about 35 lb overweight (215 right now), so I need to do something. I still do pushups and situps to keep my core strong, but I have belly fat.

Soda must be given up. Grains is not necessary to give up, but it's good to lower carb intake.

Fat is only removed by being burned, and your body will burn fat as long as your caloric intake is less than your caloric burn. Exercising (specifically weight training) will increase muscle mass to burn more calories passively - but the general gist as someone else said before is to eat less than you burn. Eating healthy has a side benefit of being less caloric heavy than fast/junk food. For example, a large Big Mac Meal is about 1300 calories. A meal of 3/4 pound of steamed broccoli and carrots, with a 1/4 pound of turkey breast is about 300 calories. It may be a big extreme to have a pound of broccoli, carrots, and turkey, but it's an example.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 13:30:14 »

Ya, it is a pretty solid way to eat.  Technically, I am supposed to stop eating dairy.  I have not focused on that though.  For you in the US it might make sense to avoid it since all of your milk has added sugar. 

I grew up on goats milk, so I have switched from cow to goat milk.  I don't suggest that most people will be able to do that since goats milk is much stronger.  I also use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in place of dairy quite often.

I did not try to avoid cheese, but since I gave up all grain based stuff like bread, I didn't have stuff to put it on.  Without really trying I have basically removed cheese from my diet.  Not sure how I did that because I LOVE cheese. 

Yes, spinach is awesome.  We go through serious amounts of it.  :)

If I was to put a label on the way I eat, it would basically be the Paleo diet.  I basically started by trying this for 30 days, and then I just stuck with it for the majority of my meals...  I lost about 20 lbs in the first 30 days or so and then another 10 over the past few months...
That's so weird! I grew up on goat's milk, too. It was the only milk I had until I was five and I remember, despite having few childhood memories, the first time they gave me cow's milk. It was so gross! But they had to get me used to it since I was going to be going to school soon and they didn't serve goat's milk. It really is a lot stronger, but it's quite good.

I switched from 1% to whole milk since it's not tinkered with as much as reduced-fat milks. I use a lot less now since it's so much richer.

Apart from the dairy, yeah, I'm trending toward a paleo diet. Fruits, veggies, nuts, some meat sometimes (very rarely), and fish. I'm not ready to go full paleo, though.