Author Topic: Aphex Twin - Syro  (Read 4285 times)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
Aphex Twin - Syro
« on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 11:44:20 »
Hey guys,

some of you showed an interest lately when I posted that I had bought the Analord binder, asking if there was a new Aphex Twin album out.

It's happening!

I hate linking here but this is a Pitchfork article outlining it all, and here is the TOR site with title and tracklisting

Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
Re: Aphex Twin - Syro
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:54:51 »
You know, I was just wondering a few months ago if we'd heard the last of him. Glad he's surfaced and something is apparently forthcoming. Thanks for the link!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:05:38 »
Windowlicker is an all time great track, but I couldn't really ever get into the rest of his stuff... curious about how this will sound though!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:11:01 »
The Windowlicker video scared me immensely when I saw it as a kid, so I really didn't listen to much of his stuff :)) Recently though I heard Xtal and it blew me away. Really looking forward to this release.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:13:01 »
He is pretty much the sole reason the went to Coachella 2008.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:36:21 »
Hurray! Thanks for the heads up!

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:58:12 »
woo!  it's about damn time. :)
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 00:03:42 »
Aphex Twin. Right on. Ear candy, and yes, it's about time!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 10:01:31 »
I am the hypest.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 17:47:54 »
****cock

sept 6 is my first day of school

T_T
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 18:42:06 »
Case in point.

About 10 years ago I sold a rare record of late-1960s electronic music to Richard James, and made the mistake of shipping it to him (all the way to England) before he paid. (weird coincidence, on about the same day I sold records on ebay to "Richard James" and "James Richards" and just looked at my handwritten list of money received and foolishly sent it on)

He was slow to pay, surprise! and by the time I got around to please asking him to pay up, he already had the record in hand. He basically told me to piss off.

After several ugly emails back and forth, he finally paid up after I noted a very small identifying sticker on the LP itself. I suppose that he realized that I was right and he owed it to me. Good thing, it was a $100 record!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 10:34:27 »
Case in point.

About 10 years ago I sold a rare record of late-1960s electronic music to Richard James, and made the mistake of shipping it to him (all the way to England) before he paid. (weird coincidence, on about the same day I sold records on ebay to "Richard James" and "James Richards" and just looked at my handwritten list of money received and foolishly sent it on)

He was slow to pay, surprise! and by the time I got around to please asking him to pay up, he already had the record in hand. He basically told me to piss off.

After several ugly emails back and forth, he finally paid up after I noted a very small identifying sticker on the LP itself. I suppose that he realized that I was right and he owed it to me. Good thing, it was a $100 record!

sorry, I don't understand what 'case in point' you're making here...

so you sold a record to someone called Richard James...?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 12:55:09 »
Aphex Twin = Richard D James

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 15:39:45 »
Aphex Twin = Richard D James

I know that.

I don't see how that story relates to Richard D. James, other than a similarity in the name. Unless fohat.digs is going to present us with proof to show that their little story is regarding Aphex Twin.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 17:24:38 »
Apparently he lives in a bank and drives a tank. Looking forward to the album :D
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 19:10:37 »
Unless fohat.digs is going to present us with proof to show that their little story is regarding Aphex Twin.

I do not have proof but I am pretty sure it was him. Lived in just about the right spot near London, telling ebay buyer name, if I remember correctly. It was a long time ago.

The "case in point" was that simultaneous discussion in another thread about turning over merchandise without/before receiving payment for it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 August 2014, 19:18:15 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 20:20:05 »
Woo hoo!  I just preordered the CD.  Can't wait for this.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 20:33:18 »

Nice! Any idea if there's a preorder for a vinyl??

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 20:36:10 »

Yup, vinyl is available for preorder as well. :)

http://warp.net/records/aphex-twin/syro

There's even a limited edition (200 copies) for $400.   :eek:

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:32:57 »

Yup, vinyl is available for preorder as well. :)

http://warp.net/records/aphex-twin/syro

There's even a limited edition (200 copies) for $400.   :eek:

Oh my damn! That limited sounds amazing!!

So excited to spin the album!

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 08:02:40 »
Unless fohat.digs is going to present us with proof to show that their little story is regarding Aphex Twin.

I do not have proof but I am pretty sure it was him. Lived in just about the right spot near London, telling ebay buyer name, if I remember correctly. It was a long time ago.

The "case in point" was that simultaneous discussion in another thread about turning over merchandise without/before receiving payment for it.

dunno if you know much about Aphex Twin, but if the buyer had a 'telling' eBay username, then it likely wasn't him at all. But cool story!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 10:24:33 »

dunno if you know much about Aphex Twin, but if the buyer had a 'telling' eBay username, then it likely wasn't him at all. But cool story!

It wasn't "aphex-guy" or anything like that, and there probably weren't all that many Richard Jameses in London dropping $100 on rare 1960s electronic vinyl in 2003.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 12:01:55 »

It wasn't "aphex-guy" or anything like that, and there probably weren't all that many Richard Jameses in London dropping $100 on rare 1960s electronic vinyl in 2003.

I quite regularly drop more than £60 ($100) on records all the time (and I'm not even in London). So do quite a lot of my peers. Those in London, even more so and for even rarer and more expensive records.

But yeah, if you wanna think it's Aphex Twin that tried to rip you off, please do!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 14:39:48 »
wanna think it's Aphex Twin that tried to rip you off

This Richard James did not "try to rip me off" per se, but I consider it inconsiderate, at the least, to not promptly pay for something that you win on ebay. I suppose that someone who buys a lot might of stuff might conceivably wait for sellers to start dunning him for payment, but since I am a "small-timer" I have every item that I buy and sell in my mind and seldom send out invoices.

An item this rare and unusual does not turn up often, and I would assume that it was something that he wanted.

As I said, after I correctly identified the item as mine, and asked him to return it (at my shipping expense) he quickly paid me for it.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 14:09:59 »
t=21

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:37:52 »
t=21

I really like this new track and have it on permaloop at work today.  It's quite catchy with a dark tinge to it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:42:48 »

t=21

I really like this new track and have it on permaloop at work today.  It's quite catchy with a dark tinge to it.

Noooo! Permaloop is bad!

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 19:25:55 »

t=21

Noooo! Permaloop is bad!

10 PRINT "derp derp doo"
20 GOTO 10

:confused:

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 00:59:39 »
t=21

Yeah, as someone who was never really into his stuff before it's a great track. Must have listened to it like 20 times lol

Offline Dog

• Bark
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 00:51:02 »
I went to the listening party in LA today. It was fun. It was a bit awkward because no one really knew anyone and we couldn't bring a +1. A lot of people were standing around, drinking, and staring at an aphex twin logo flicker on a projector while the album played. I'm looking forward to getting the album.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 02:21:30 »
I went to the listening party in LA today. It was fun. It was a bit awkward because no one really knew anyone and we couldn't bring a +1. A lot of people were standing around, drinking, and staring at an aphex twin logo flicker on a projector while the album played. I'm looking forward to getting the album.

Sounds like any electro show. Sometimes some kids high as **** flailing in the center of the room.

edit: ps love me some aphex can't believe i didn't know about this
anyone who likes this or didnt know if they did should also check out Squarepusher
another great artist from the same period

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:08:54 »
just FYI you can stream this on USA's version of spotify now

aisatsana is probably my favorite track, not as epic as nanou2, but still wonderful

XMAX_EVE is pretty good too, a 10 minute RDJ track is greatly appreciated

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:21:01 »
First listen through: I dig.

Giving it a second listen while working with headphones.

It's certainly a lot more relaxed than his older stuff, apart from Drukqs. This reminds me a lot of that, but somehow much more refined in some ways.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:24:22 »
Just watched the video... mmm..... is the message  girls be window-lickers if they gold digging.. or is it just lady gaga image-shock type video ??

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:40:17 »
a "windowlicker" is a crazy person

so feel free to interpret from there