Author Topic: over 1 billion passwords hacked and sold by Russians  (Read 1939 times)

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
over 1 billion passwords hacked and sold by Russians
« on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:34:43 »
just a little FYI, they hacked over 400k sites
look it up, there are lots of news articles and interviews about it

edit: (putting a post of mine in here in case you dont wanna scroll down)
this was news from the 6th btw, apparently the haxoring happened on the 4th
the passwords were sold for spam marketing and **** which is weird

captain Cane McCrotchety wanted source http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/05/russian-hackers-stolen-credentials_n_5652812.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/technology/russian-gang-said-to-amass-more-than-a-billion-stolen-internet-credentials.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 August 2014, 16:18:33 by paicrai »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: over 1 billion passwords hacked and sold by Russians
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:37:52 »
Oh noes

Offline iri

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:42:46 »
that wasn't me, i swear. don't hate.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:45:17 »
don't care.... keep photos and receipts from the bank.. you'll be safe...   at worst 2-3 weeks max to set your account straight..

so.. if you keep at least 2 bank accounts, it'd be highly unlikely that you'd become illiquid within any span of time.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:47:18 »
as long as you make sure to include numbers and symbols in your password, it'll at least take them a while to actually obtain a password, even if they've breached some sort of security measure
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:51:30 »
my Facebook friends were forced to change their passwords week ago, don't know if there were any relate to this.

My password always have numbers, a symbol, and an upper letter.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:01:08 »
All my passwords are 'Password1234' so I should be fine

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:10:39 »
Be poor like me with nothing worth stealing cept for Ergodox...

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:21:45 »
All my passwords are 'Password1234' so I should be fine
*iri successfully logs in as baldgye
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:24:40 »
this was news from the 6th btw, apparently the haxoring happened on the 4th
the passwords were sold for spam marketing and **** which is weird
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline midnightmare

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 15:10:25 »
Just as a general password note: length > complexity (adding symbols / numbers). Length increases the time of a bruteforce exponentially. Complexity works well against dictionary-based cracking, but otherwise going for a longer password is better.

Offline osi

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 15:33:50 »
This not news. Has been happening for years

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 15:43:08 »
There's a good chance that Google already had all your information prior to some website getting "hacked" by some vodka enraged 17 year old russian kid in-between his LoL games and WoW botting.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 15:46:14 »

look it up, there are lots of news articles and interviews about it

See, this is a bad idea.
If you're posting news, the least you can do is include at least one source.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 17:09:16 »
Just as a general password note: length > complexity (adding symbols / numbers). Length increases the time of a bruteforce exponentially. Complexity works well against dictionary-based cracking, but otherwise going for a longer password is better.

I always go for a lengthy (and easy to remember) passphrase with a short "complexity-meeting" addendum. This works for all solutions that don't have a stupid-short length requirement (c'mon guys 8 max was probably okay for your unix system in the 1970's but that's not gonna cut it today. Everyone who doesn't support at least 14 characters I recommend you stop using.)

Offline osi

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 18:00:38 »
Sites that restrict special characters in passwords grind my gears. Multiple large banking websites still have these policies in place

Yay

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 18:59:38 »

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI