Author Topic: I went back to a Black Widow, what!?  (Read 47522 times)

Offline cherpalla

Re: I went back to a Black Widow, what!?
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:25:31 »
That's precisely the point. If the Blackwidow (not necessarily the new model) is known to be unreliable, as some people are loathe to stress, why is it so popular? Why haven't pro reviewers pointed out known bugs or problems if, in fact, they exist(a la the PS4 and Xbox One)? If there's really a problem, where's the onslaught of YouTube videos from owners documenting it? For example, try searching YouTube for 'Xbox red ring of death' and you'll find upwards of 25+ pages of videos. By comparison, try searching for videos documenting problems related to the Blackwidow (any model) and tell me what you find.
Why is it so popular?  Marketing?  Ignorance?  Why did you buy one?  There are tons of people on here who have a Razer as their first Mech Keyboard...mainly because they didn't know anything else existed.    Or do you think it has to do with quality?  I doubt you do...

Okay, but what does that have to do with the issue -- you singled out the Blackwidow's dissatisfaction rate as being rather dismal, even though the PS4 and Xbox One have roughly the same rating. To address your question... if you want a Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Elite, how many options do you have? If you want an 84-key IBM Model F, how many options do you have? If you want a Dell Quiet Key keyboard, you've really only got one option. So on and so forth.

However, if you want a gaming console, there are certainly more than a handful of options available.
There are more than a handful of consoles (in each generation?)?  No there aren't.  Sure you could go back and get an older one that has no new game support, is just getting old from use or old from time.  I'm sure you understood what I was referring to as well...Or was that not really obvious?

And you're talking about one specific model of keyboard..If you only want THAT one, you don't have an option....but there are plenty of alternatives in the mechanical keyboard market...There are not in the console market.

So as far as the Amazon star rating..First off, the evaluation time is different...PS4, etc rating is over time where issues have developed and people have come back and complained...With the Razer, there hasn't been enough time to evaluate reliability over time..so the sampling is different and would not reflect how the Razer will do given some real usage.  What you can say is for the short period of time the Razer has been out (maybe we're looking at different amazon ratings, I'm looking at the 2014 blackwidows), there are a significant number of issues....Secondly, would it matter what the star rating is on a Playstation 4?  You either get that or an Xbox One or Wii U....IN some cases those aren't any better, they don't have the game selection don't have the specific game (replace any of the consoles with any console from that gen, same thing).  But lets say one console had a really bad problem and the others did not, would that impact people's buying decision?  It would for some...And if they all have similar issues?  You don't have other options...But again, if you want certain games, etc...you don't have other options available..

My point is that pro reviewers can and do note reliability issues, thus if there were known problems with the Blackwidow (any model) why haven't they been mentioned in at least some pro reviews?
Easy answer for this...First thing is, they probably reviewed a new device.  Second thing is, they can't be bothered to come back and talk about how the soldering was weak on this keyboard so they're not going to write an article on that.  And frankly, they probably haven't used it enough to get to that point.  They don't come back and talk about how this button on their console broke either or this minor thing eventually broke.    There is no interest in that.  It isn't like covering a software bug that bricks your box.  Or an issue that covers EVERY keyboard or every box.  Are you saying because there aren't pro reviews about any type of reliability issue it doesn't exist?  I'm sure you know better than that..

How many reputable pro review sites can you name that never post a mediocre / negative review?

You see it all the time in different industries...including the tech industry.  The bigger names will rarely get a bad review.  Bad review = no ad revenue, bad review = not getting stuff sent to you for free from that company.  Some of them don't care (they shouldn't) but a lot do.  Keep in mind, an "objective" comparison test where you're testing how fast X device is compared to Y is different...In many cases you've probably let them know you're doing the test..the results are what the results are.

If I were into gaming keyboards, sure.
Well if they made changes to the keyboard you were talking about it wouldn't even be a gaming keyboard, it would just be a mech keyboard...So you'd buy it over some of the other options available out there in the same category?

I'm going to cut in here. First of all, most professional reviews are not the kind of reviews that could possibly discuss reliability and issues at all. They are unboxings and first impressions.

If you want to find known issues for the Razer BlackWidow 2013-current, all models, just type in "Razer BlackWidow issues (or problems)" and you can find pages and pages of them on TeamLiquid, Tom's Hardware, Overclock.net, YouTube and more.

Please don't user the term gaming keyboard. It's just a mechanical keyboard being marketed toward gamers. If anything I would say a "gaming keyboard" would only have the keys necessary for gaming with ergonomically good positioning, available in multiple tilts and sizes. That doesn't exist.
c h e r

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #251 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 22:19:39 »
That's precisely the point. If the Blackwidow (not necessarily the new model) is known to be unreliable, as some people are loathe to stress, why is it so popular? Why haven't pro reviewers pointed out known bugs or problems if, in fact, they exist(a la the PS4 and Xbox One)? If there's really a problem, where's the onslaught of YouTube videos from owners documenting it? For example, try searching YouTube for 'Xbox red ring of death' and you'll find upwards of 25+ pages of videos. By comparison, try searching for videos documenting problems related to the Blackwidow (any model) and tell me what you find.
Why is it so popular?  Marketing?  Ignorance?  Why did you buy one?  There are tons of people on here who have a Razer as their first Mech Keyboard...mainly because they didn't know anything else existed.    Or do you think it has to do with quality?  I doubt you do...

Okay, but what does that have to do with the issue -- you singled out the Blackwidow's dissatisfaction rate as being rather dismal, even though the PS4 and Xbox One have roughly the same rating. To address your question... if you want a Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Elite, how many options do you have? If you want an 84-key IBM Model F, how many options do you have? If you want a Dell Quiet Key keyboard, you've really only got one option. So on and so forth.

However, if you want a gaming console, there are certainly more than a handful of options available.
There are more than a handful of consoles (in each generation?)?  No there aren't.  Sure you could go back and get an older one that has no new game support, is just getting old from use or old from time.  I'm sure you understood what I was referring to as well...Or was that not really obvious?

And you're talking about one specific model of keyboard..If you only want THAT one, you don't have an option....but there are plenty of alternatives in the mechanical keyboard market...There are not in the console market.

So as far as the Amazon star rating..First off, the evaluation time is different...PS4, etc rating is over time where issues have developed and people have come back and complained...With the Razer, there hasn't been enough time to evaluate reliability over time..so the sampling is different and would not reflect how the Razer will do given some real usage.  What you can say is for the short period of time the Razer has been out (maybe we're looking at different amazon ratings, I'm looking at the 2014 blackwidows), there are a significant number of issues....Secondly, would it matter what the star rating is on a Playstation 4?  You either get that or an Xbox One or Wii U....IN some cases those aren't any better, they don't have the game selection don't have the specific game (replace any of the consoles with any console from that gen, same thing).  But lets say one console had a really bad problem and the others did not, would that impact people's buying decision?  It would for some...And if they all have similar issues?  You don't have other options...But again, if you want certain games, etc...you don't have other options available..

My point is that pro reviewers can and do note reliability issues, thus if there were known problems with the Blackwidow (any model) why haven't they been mentioned in at least some pro reviews?
Easy answer for this...First thing is, they probably reviewed a new device.  Second thing is, they can't be bothered to come back and talk about how the soldering was weak on this keyboard so they're not going to write an article on that.  And frankly, they probably haven't used it enough to get to that point.  They don't come back and talk about how this button on their console broke either or this minor thing eventually broke.    There is no interest in that.  It isn't like covering a software bug that bricks your box.  Or an issue that covers EVERY keyboard or every box.  Are you saying because there aren't pro reviews about any type of reliability issue it doesn't exist?  I'm sure you know better than that..

How many reputable pro review sites can you name that never post a mediocre / negative review?

You see it all the time in different industries...including the tech industry.  The bigger names will rarely get a bad review.  Bad review = no ad revenue, bad review = not getting stuff sent to you for free from that company.  Some of them don't care (they shouldn't) but a lot do.  Keep in mind, an "objective" comparison test where you're testing how fast X device is compared to Y is different...In many cases you've probably let them know you're doing the test..the results are what the results are.

Well if they made changes to the keyboard you were talking about it wouldn't even be a gaming keyboard, it would just be a mech keyboard...So you'd buy it over some of the other options available out there in the same category?

I'm going to cut in here. First of all, most professional reviews are not the kind of reviews that could possibly discuss reliability and issues at all. They are unboxings and first impressions.

If you want to find known issues for the Razer BlackWidow 2013-current, all models, just type in "Razer BlackWidow issues (or problems)" and you can find pages and pages of them on TeamLiquid, Tom's Hardware, Overclock.net, YouTube and more.

Please don't user the term gaming keyboard. It's just a mechanical keyboard being marketed toward gamers. If anything I would say a "gaming keyboard" would only have the keys necessary for gaming with ergonomically good positioning, available in multiple tilts and sizes. That doesn't exist.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver

Razer has made it already.

It sells reasonably well

Offline Polymer

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 22:39:16 »
I agree..they'll almost never use it or get to a point where they'll even test reliability..and if for some reason they do continue to use it, some small problem isn't going to garner any press by them...

Is there a difference?  Not really to me...but everyone defines it differently...Surely you don't think your definition is the only one..

Offline noideawhatimdoing

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 04:43:06 »
No, no, and no.  Razer blackwidows don't break down or ppl wouldn't buy them. Their products sell and they don't need geekhack's seal of approval ala keyed up labs. Brand new brand but better than Filco. Wot?!

Is this still for connoisseurs or ppl trying to fit in and promote the next fad?

I'm not sure I understood this broken message properly but there's a high failure rate to Razer products. I've owned them, I've known others who owned them and I discuss them.

It is luck of the draw. I knew this too from my previous experience with them. I have friends who have had Black Widows from 3-4 years ago with no issues, and people that had one broken down in 6 months. I am hoping I am lucky about it so far. I mean if I could I would remove the switches and make a new board ( but dk if that is possible, and if it is no way I have the time or resources to).

Just really digging these switches.

I know this is only my second post here, and I can only speak of their mice, but I've had to return every Razer mouse I've had. Of all the Logitech (though I hate the company), I have had only one peripheral fail (my G510). Yes, the products sell, but not a lot of people come to flame in reviews (at least not as many as one would think). I have a ton of Razer mice I could put negative reviews on Amazon for but just haven't. But yes, I did buy them, I suppose...
No, no, and no.  Razer blackwidows don't break down or ppl wouldn't buy them. Their products sell and they don't need geekhack's seal of approval ala keyed up labs. Brand new brand but better than Filco. Wot?!

Is this still for connoisseurs or ppl trying to fit in and promote the next fad?

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #254 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:11:09 »

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver

Razer has made it already.

It sells reasonably well

I'm not talking about gaming keypads, those don't come in multiple sizes. Anyone with tiny hands (like me) can't use those.
c h e r

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:31:37 »
The Orbweaver comes in Blues anyway if I remember correctly - not exactly optimal for quick double tapping most gamers need.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:36:06 »
I agree..they'll almost never use it or get to a point where they'll even test reliability..and if for some reason they do continue to use it, some small problem isn't going to garner any press by them...

Is there a difference?  Not really to me...but everyone defines it differently...Surely you don't think your definition is the only one..

It's not a definition. It was just my idea of a gaming keyboard, but maybe that's because I have small hands and find the larger keyboards that are currently being marketed towards gamers to be insanely uncomfortable to use. Don't even get me started on my quest to find a mouse.
c h e r

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:37:31 »
The Orbweaver comes in Blues anyway if I remember correctly - not exactly optimal for quick double tapping most gamers need.

Both of their switches are tactile on the new BlackWidow as well. I'm really confused as to why they don't offer a linear switch as well.
c h e r

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 08:26:22 »

Both of their switches are tactile on the new BlackWidow as well. I'm really confused as to why they don't offer a linear switch as well.

It doesn't make any sense. If I was marketing "gaming" keyboards, I'd be using browns and reds. I guess Razer fanboys are so out of it that they don't even give a **** as long as it says "Razer" on it.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline 1391406

« Reply #259 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:23:17 »

That's not the point. If a problem were significant, complaints would extend beyond participants on a forum, in my opinion.

You weren't specific. You simply said gaming consoles. Frankly, I'm not sure what your point is, though. That lack of choice forces people to buy or like a product? To take this to the extreme, even if you were forced to eat beans, would you be forced to like them?

The fact is, there wasn't much choice when the Nintendo Virtual Boy was released but that didn't stop it from being a commercial flop, nor did it stop the Atari Jaguar from tanking, and it certainly didn't stop the Apple Pippin from ever really getting off the ground. Choice has nothing to do with it. In the face of little choice, consumers have shown they're not obligated to buy much less like a product, which is why the aforementioned consoles failed.

there are plenty of alternatives in the mechanical keyboard market...There are not in the console market.

There's plenty of choice in the console market, just not in the next gen console category, and not to sound flippant, but so what? What does that have to do with anything? Consumers have consistently shown they're not obligated to buy or like any product, regardless of choice or the lack thereof. How many choices did Windows users have when Windows 8 was released? Do you think they all begrudgingly opened their wallet and glowered while handing over their hard earned cash to Microsoft? Of course not. A lot of users simply refused to upgrade, and lackluster reviews tell the tale.

So as far as the Amazon star rating..First off, the evaluation time is different...PS4, etc rating is over time where issues have developed and people have come back and complained...With the Razer, there hasn't been enough time to evaluate reliability over time..so the sampling is different and would not reflect how the Razer will do given some real usage.

The 2014 Blackwidow Ultimate was released how many months ago?

Secondly, would it matter what the star rating is on a Playstation 4?

Of course. Ratings impact public perception and amount to good or bad marketing and PR. It's the same reason pro reviews for next gen consoles or any product matters. If they didn't, no one would read or write them. People are interested in what other people think. Why do you think there's a review section on this site?

You either get that or an Xbox One or Wii U....IN some cases those aren't any better, they don't have the game selection don't have the specific game (replace any of the consoles with any console from that gen, same thing).  But lets say one console had a really bad problem and the others did not, would that impact people's buying decision?

Of course. Why would someone buy a console for a specific game knowing there's a good chance they won't even be able to play it due to a known bug or issue?

Easy answer for this...First thing is, they probably reviewed a new device.  Second thing is, they can't be bothered to come back and talk about how the soldering was weak on this keyboard so they're not going to write an article on that.  And frankly, they probably haven't used it enough to get to that point.  They don't come back and talk about how this button on their console broke either or this minor thing eventually broke.    There is no interest in that.  It isn't like covering a software bug that bricks your box.  Or an issue that covers EVERY keyboard or every box.  Are you saying because there aren't pro reviews about any type of reliability issue it doesn't exist?

If there's a significant issue related to a particular piece of hardware, I have absolutely no reason to believe that at least some pro reviewers or articles on tech sites will cover it at some point. The fact is, the Xbox and Playstation bugs didn't affect EVERY console. In fact, most contributors that covered the issue in reviews and on tech sites noted that they didn't have a problem with their test unit. Their coverage was based on considerable feedback. If tech sites aren't covering broken buttons on consoles or a minor issue related to hardware it's probably because it's minor(as you suggested), and that's precisely my point.

You didn't answer my question. How many reputable pro review sites can you specifically name that never post a mediocre / negative review?

No, even with the changes I'd make it wouldn't necessarily be a plain old mechanical keyboard because most of them don't include software (Synapse 2) designed and oriented toward gamers.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:26:38 »

Would you like examples of professional -reviews- that mention the reliability issues related to the Xbox 360? If the Red Ring of Death isn't a reliability issue, what is?

Secondly, you can find pages of problems related to practically any popular keyboard if you use the same search terms and replace the words Razer BlackWidow. Further, just as the Red Ring of Death or Blue Light of Death issues bled beyond forums and drenched YouTube and pro tech sites with coverage, I would expect the same in reference to a serious issue related to a popular piece of hardware such as the Blackwidow. As I suggested earlier, try searching YouTube for problems or issues related to the Blackwidow and tell me how many pages you can find.

I have no affinity for the term gaming keyboard. It's typically a designation assigned to keyboards designed with features presumed to appeal to gamers, such as a separate set of macro keys, Winkey disable, specific software, etc. A lot of 'gaming keyboards' are typically accompanied with bells and whistles that (I presume) have little or no appeal to average users.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Polymer

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 21:06:50 »
That's not the point. If a problem were significant, complaints would extend beyond participants on a forum, in my opinion.
But they do.  Within 5-6 months of release about 15% have complained about it on Amazon.  If you polled which was the worst mechanical keyboard, which one do you think it would've been?  My guess, Razer Blackwidow.  Just goes to show that poll is meaningless.
The fact is, there wasn't much choice when the Nintendo Virtual Boy was released but that didn't stop it from being a commercial flop, nor did it stop the Atari Jaguar from tanking, and it certainly didn't stop the Apple Pippin from ever really getting off the ground. Choice has nothing to do with it. In the face of little choice, consumers have shown they're not obligated to buy much less like a product, which is why the aforementioned consoles failed.

There were plenty of other options when both of those were offered.  That is not true at all.  Yes, the SNES and others were near the end of life but they were still excellent systems with great games.  The Jaguar had terrible game support - Lack of a good development kit, lack of games in general.  People knew the N64 and Saturn were coming...did they want to buy a terrible system because it was the next gen or did they want to wait for something better and stick with their proven platforms?  We know the answer. 

The Xbox fills that role..one of the main players, good game support, etc...If, for example, you wanted to play Halo, what options do you have?  None...If you wanted a console system with good game support, how many realistic options do you have?  two others?  If you want a Mech KB with macros, backlighting, etc, do you have options that fill that exact same role?  Yes, quite a few.  If you don't care about macros, a LOT.

There's plenty of choice in the console market, just not in the next gen console category, and not to sound flippant, but so what? What does that have to do with anything? Consumers have consistently shown they're not obligated to buy or like any product, regardless of choice or the lack thereof. How many choices did Windows users have when Windows 8 was released? Do you think they all begrudgingly opened their wallet and glowered while handing over their hard earned cash to Microsoft? Of course not. A lot of users simply refused to upgrade, and lackluster reviews tell the tale.
We're completely going off topic but after 8.1 - after they fixed their user issue...complaints have been rather minor but regardless.

This doesn't relate to the Razer in any case...it certainly doesn't relate to whether it is a reliable keyboard based on reviews...

5 or 6?  Something like that?  And you're saying that would be enough time to test its reliability?  If not why would you ask that question?

Of course. Ratings impact public perception and amount to good or bad marketing and PR. It's the same reason pro reviews for next gen consoles or any product matters. If they didn't, no one would read or write them. People are interested in what other people think. Why do you think there's a review section on this site?
Sorry, I should be more specific...I agree, if there is an overwhelming hate for a device, that would definitely impact it...but if it was say, 3.5 stars vs. 4.5 stars on Amazon..would that make a difference?  Not at all..

If there's a significant issue related to a particular piece of hardware, I have absolutely no reason to believe that at least some pro reviewers or articles on tech sites will cover it at some point. The fact is, the Xbox and Playstation bugs didn't affect EVERY console. In fact, most contributors that covered the issue in reviews and on tech sites noted that they didn't have a problem with their test unit. Their coverage was based on considerable feedback. If tech sites aren't covering broken buttons on consoles or a minor issue related to hardware it's probably because it's minor(as you suggested), and that's precisely my point.
Random different reliability issues are difficult to correlate.  Oh this persons spacebar and gone bad, this person had rust, this persons Q key is busted, this persons LED went out.
That is different than if there was a huge number of a single problem
You're getting rather pedantic.  The bugs like Red Ring of Death didn't impact every Xbox, but as far as anyone was concerned, it was common enough an issue where most (or at least a lot) could be impacted by it. 
The reliability problems I see reported are almost always when the same problem occurs and becomes a relatively common problem.  I'm sure you see the difference as well.

I'm actually shocked you think the pro reviews are more reliable than an enthusiasts community (or you're suggesting that).  I think in most industries, that has proven to not be the case.  I actually can't think of any industry where the "pro" reviews are considered to be better..I'm sure they must exist but I can't think of any.  Or maybe you're just saying they haven't been verified by the pro reviews..but really, if you recognize that the enthusiast community (in any industry) gets into the much finer details, is less concerned about marketing, is comparing to it different options out there, pro reviews don't even come close.  In fact, if you read some of the pro reviews on mechanical keyboards specifically, it is obvious they haven't used them much (and some admit that). 

You didn't answer my question. How many reputable pro review sites can you specifically name that never post a mediocre / negative review?
Wine Companion, Wine Advocate, Wine Spectator.  "Bad" is all relative but negative reviews don't get published.  It doesn't mean a particular wine didn't receive a bad score, just means it wasn't published.    GolfWRX - They review all the equipment but I don't even recall seeing a negative review.  It might not be as good as other things but I'm not seeing negative reviews. 

When you only scratch the surface, which is what most reviewers do, you just don't see a negative stuff pop up.  Unless there is something just really F'd up about it, you don't see anything.  Comparisons are often a bit more useful because you can see relative performance, etc....

Forgetting about all this...Are you saying a pro review would have unearthed a problem w/ the Razer Blackwidow?  And you're saying if one of their Q keys broke they'd create a new article for that?  Maybe if they google it and 100 other people's Q key has broken, but would they if not?  No..but does it mean that their demo never had an issue?  Or for that matter, 20% of the demos sent out didn't have some sort of issue (but different ones)?

We're starting to compare different things with different issues and it is getting off point....at its core, the Razer Blackwidow does what it should do.  It is a mechanical keyboard.  It has extra features, lighting, etc...There is nothing inherently wrong or bad with a working version of this keyboard other than personal preference.  I think everyone pretty much agrees that is the case.  At what point do these pro reviews really get into the guts?  How do they determine reliability issues with it? Is that even possible given the timeframe they use it? 
For community reviews such as Amazon, what is an acceptable amount of reliability issues in the first 6 months of release on a product that is touted as being "more reliable"?  What is an amount of time we should wait to see how reliability pans out? 

As I said, for a relatively new product..I look at the negatives carefully.  Are they complaining about Amazon shipping? (irrelevant) Are they complaining about how it looks? (irrelevant).  Are they complaining about lack of features (irrelevant, I've made my own decision on what features I want).  Or did one person have an issue in 3 months?  How many people fit in that category?  What other issues did some others have?  Does it look like a significant number compared to the overall number especially given the amount of time it has been out? 

If it is something I'm MORE interested in, I look to the enthusiasts communities.  A lot more detail, a lot more reliability...and you know there isn't any $$$ involved in what they're saying.  I have to make my own buying decision so of course there is sifting through opinion and fact and deciding which opinions you want to treat as fact (haha).

If your decision making is different when buying a product (sounds like yours is) than more power to you.  When it comes to reviewing a keyboard I don't really care about the opinion of someone who says "I'm really starting to like these mechanical keyboards".  Quoted from one of the bigger review sites....
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 September 2014, 13:18:21 by Polymer »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 21:41:43 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 22:12:05 »

Would you like examples of professional -reviews- that mention the reliability issues related to the Xbox 360? If the Red Ring of Death isn't a reliability issue, what is?

Secondly, you can find pages of problems related to practically any popular keyboard if you use the same search terms and replace the words Razer BlackWidow. Further, just as the Red Ring of Death or Blue Light of Death issues bled beyond forums and drenched YouTube and pro tech sites with coverage, I would expect the same in reference to a serious issue related to a popular piece of hardware such as the Blackwidow. As I suggested earlier, try searching YouTube for problems or issues related to the Blackwidow and tell me how many pages you can find.

I have no affinity for the term gaming keyboard. It's typically a designation assigned to keyboards designed with features presumed to appeal to gamers, such as a separate set of macro keys, Winkey disable, specific software, etc. A lot of 'gaming keyboards' are typically accompanied with bells and whistles that (I presume) have little or no appeal to average users.

1. I should have specified that I was talking about PC gaming peripherals, but I suppose it could easily be taken out of the context to which I was referring.

2. Many of those bells and whistles have little or no appeal to actual gamers, either.
c h e r

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 16:32:26 »

1. I should have specified that I was talking about PC gaming peripherals, but I suppose it could easily be taken out of the context to which I was referring.

2. Many of those bells and whistles have little or no appeal to actual gamers, either.

http://ergodex.com/content12.php

Is this closer to what you want?

Offline 1391406

« Reply #265 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 00:52:54 »
But they do.  Within 5-6 months of release about 15% have complained about it on Amazon.

15% seems to be within acceptable limits, in my opinion. For example, the Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB is newer and actually has a higher ratio of complaints, primarily regarding the backlighting and firmware. To be honest, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that 15% is suspicious or unacceptable.

We're completely going off topic but after 8.1 - after they fixed their user issue...complaints have been rather minor but regardless. This doesn't relate to Razer in any case...it certainly doesn't relate to whether it is a reliable keyboard based on reviews...

None of it does, in my opinion. I don't see how the issue of choice has anything to do with satisfaction / dissatisfaction ratings or reliability? Granted, I don't agree that console owners have little choice but that's an entirely separate and unrelated debate, in my opinion.

5 or 6?  Something like that?  And you're saying that would be enough time to test its reliability?

If there's a major problems with reliability, it shouldn't take 6 months for reports to start pouring in, in my opinion.

Random different reliability issues are difficult to correlate.  Oh this persons spacebar and gone bad, this person had rust, this persons Q key is busted, this persons LED went out. That is different than if there was a huge number of a single problem

Random reliability issues are par for the course with any product. That doesn't necessarily indicate a problem unless we're talking about a relatively high percentage of random reliability issues.

The bugs like Red Ring of Death didn't impact every Xbox, but as far as anyone was concerned, it was common enough an issue where most (or at least a lot) could be impacted by it.  The reliability problems I see reported are almost always when the same problem occurs and becomes a relatively common problem.  I'm sure you see the difference as well.

To some degree you're right. If an issue isn't very common, it's no big deal. A significant number of random reliability issues might be, though. The best example being the various incarnations of Microsoft Windows over the years.

I'm actually shocked you think the pro reviews are more reliable than an enthusiasts community (or you're suggesting that).  I think in most industries, that has proven to not be the case.  I actually can't think of any industry where the "pro" reviews are considered to be better..I'm sure they must exist but I can't think of any. Or maybe you're just saying they haven't been verified by the pro reviews..but really, if you recognize that the enthusiast community (in any industry) gets into the much finer details, is less concerned about marketing, is comparing to it different options out there, pro reviews don't even come close.  In fact, if you read some of the pro reviews on mechanical keyboards specifically, it is obvious they haven't used them much (and some admit that).

I appreciate the enthusiast community, though the sampling size is rather small.

That said, forums in general can be extremely helpful at resolving problems. They're a mixed bag in terms of drawing general conclusions about product reliability, though. How are you supposed to know if the string of complaints or positive experiences you just read represent most users? And if your search terms include the word "problem", it goes without saying that's what you'll find exclusively. More to the point, there will always be a vocal minority and complaints on practically any forum.

Are you saying a pro review would have unearthed a problem w/ the Razer Blackwidow? You're saying if one of their Q keys broke they'd create a new article for that? Maybe if they google it and 100 other people's Q key has broken, but would they?

You've never seen a review mention build quality issues or quality control problems with a test unit? You've never read a review that cited widely reported problems?
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 September 2014, 02:00:35 by 1391406 »

Offline 1391406

« Reply #266 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 01:56:14 »

Pro sites commonly refer to widely reported issues with laptops, graphics cards, and other electronics all the time(samples below). What reason would I have to believe widely reported issues with gaming peripherals would be any different?

Dell XPS 12 convertible Ultrabook:

"It’s a frustrating touchpad and it’s disappointing that Dell did not install a better one, even after reported problems with the touchpad in the original XPS 12."

ASUS Transformer Book T100:

"NBR staffers had the misfortune of getting the power button jammed under the plastic casing around it, causing the unit to stay powered down. Upon calling Asus, a rep claimed it was “physical damage,” even though the (widely reported) issue arose from the tablet’s build."

Fractal Design Node 804 Micro-ATX Chassis Review

In our sample, the only one in the first batch to have any reported issue, it seemed one of the rivets that held in part of the motherboard tray was drilled in the wrong location. While it wouldn't appear to be a big deal, the rivet that was shifted was pretty important, so much so that it moved the tray enough to make installing a motherboard very complicated. This also closed off the PSU area, causing us to force the PSU into place."

What makes you think that?

Offline Polymer

« Reply #267 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 03:28:33 »
You've never seen a review mention build quality issues or quality control problems with a test unit? You've never read a review that cited widely reported problems?

I have see them mention build issues..but that generally isn't the problem in the case of reliability. 
I've said I've seen reports on widely reported problems.  Not on random problems.  Eg.  What is the difference between the Q key breaking on 100 keyboards and random keys breaking on 100 keyboards?  One might get reported, the other wouldn't.  One is consistent issue, the other is just general quality issues.  Random keys breaking on 100 keyboards doesn't make it minor though.

Your opinion on how many early failures is obviously different than mine....Your usage of an enthusiasts community is probably identical just not sure you're willing to admit it...but that's fine.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:59:24 »

http://ergodex.com/content12.php

Is this closer to what you want?

I'm not looking for anything, but no.
c h e r

Offline 1391406

« Reply #269 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 12:20:40 »

I have see them mention build issues..but that generally isn't the problem in the case of reliability. 
I've said I've seen reports on widely reported problems.  Not on random problems.  Eg.  What is the difference between the Q key breaking on 100 keyboards and random keys breaking on 100 keyboards?  One might get reported, the other wouldn't.  One is consistent issue, the other is just general quality issues.  Random keys breaking on 100 keyboards doesn't make it minor though.

Your opinion on how many early failures is obviously different than mine....Your usage of an enthusiasts community is probably identical just not sure you're willing to admit it...but that's fine.

There's a certain common thread of consistency to key caps breaking at random though, in my opinion; key caps being that common thread. Are those types of random issues likely to get reported? It hasn't stopped Amazon customers from reporting random key cap breakage on the Logitech G710 Plus. If enough random reliability issues are reported, I have every reason to believe at least some reviewers will take note. Take the Nokia 6700 Classic for instance. Again, the apotheosis being MS Windows.

I appreciate the enthusiast community, especially this one. It's an indispensable repository of keyboard knowledge. That said, the sampling size for certain keyboards is too small to draw any real conclusions regarding reliability though, in my opinion.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #270 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 13:09:53 »

There's a certain common thread of consistency to key caps breaking at random though, in my opinion; key caps being that common thread. Are those types of random issues likely to get reported? It hasn't stopped Amazon customers from reporting random key cap breakage on the Logitech G710 Plus. If enough random reliability issues are reported, I have every reason to believe at least some reviewers will take note. Take the Nokia 6700 Classic for instance. Again, the apotheosis being MS Windows.

I appreciate the enthusiast community, especially this one. It's an indispensable repository of keyboard knowledge. That said, the sampling size for certain keyboards is too small to draw any real conclusions regarding reliability though, in my opinion.

Hasn't stopped Amazon customers (individuals) from reporting it..of course not.  We're talking the pro reviewers which you give a reasonable amount of weight to..which I don't...especially not with Mech keyboards....They don't report minor issues like that..not enough interest, not worth their time, etc.

In any case...I weigh the community opinion far more than random people, most of which don't know a whole lot about mech keyboards to begin with.  I certainly put no weight into the pro reviews when it comes to mech keyboards..most of them are admittedly "new" to mechanical keyboards...The only thing I can get from them are problems with the keyboard and explaining some basic features which I'm probably already familiar with. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #271 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 14:01:04 »

1391406, ur english is the suck.. I dared to read just-1-more of your posts.. and it has cost me some sanity ...

and why do i get the feeling you either never took or failed statistics.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #272 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 14:57:35 »

1391406, ur english is the suck.. I dared to read just-1-more of your posts.. and it has cost me some sanity ...
Show Image

Show Image

The implication that you still have any remaining sanity baffles me.
c h e r

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #273 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 15:58:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

The implication that you still have any remaining sanity baffles me.

I may not be completely sane, but I am at least rational..

I say this because I find 1391406's behavior Ir-rational... He's not making a point in any of his posts...

He's clearly continuing the conversation to hit on you, the new-female,  and You're also guilty of continuing the conversation because perhaps you've approached a mid-life crysis of sorts, and you like getting hit on by young guys on the internet....

Nothing will ever be accomplished in these circumstances.. so WHY is he doing what he's doing. .

ehay.....

Offline 1391406

« Reply #274 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 18:27:21 »
Hasn't stopped Amazon customers (individuals) from reporting it..of course not.  We're talking the pro reviewers which you give a reasonable amount of weight to..which I don't...especially not with Mech keyboards....They don't report minor issues like that..not enough interest, not worth their time, etc.

In any case...I weigh the community opinion far more than random people, most of which don't know a whole lot about mech keyboards to begin with.  I certainly put no weight into the pro reviews when it comes to mech keyboards..most of them are admittedly "new" to mechanical keyboards...The only thing I can get from them are problems with the keyboard and explaining some basic features which I'm probably already familiar with.

I've emphasized collective corroboration from multiple sources, not strictly pro reviews. Like I said, Windows wasn't considered unstable for lack of reviews (or tech articles) noting how randomly unreliable it was. Personally, I don't consider Tom's Hardware, AnandTech, or PC World the domain of keyboard neophytes(not that you claimed they were).

Offline Polymer

« Reply #275 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:25:23 »
I've emphasized collective corroboration from multiple sources, not strictly pro reviews. Like I said, Windows wasn't considered unstable for lack of reviews (or tech articles) noting how randomly unreliable it was. Personally, I don't consider Tom's Hardware, AnandTech, or PC World the domain of keyboard neophytes(not that you claimed they were).

There is nothing wrong with many data points..but I think you give far too much weight to people that really have no idea what they're talking about.  How you're determining reliability is obviously different to mine...

As far as Toms, Anandtech and PC World..not sure if you've looked at PC World reviews but they're very superficial...I think Toms and Anandtech goes into more detail but I trust any long time GHer far more than them...What I see from them is stuff they've read somewhere and just repeating it to sound like they know what they're talking about..  Granted, they're not nearly as bad as some other places...but they're not great either.  Don't get me wrong, on a lot of other stuff they're fantastic...but when it comes to mech keyboards?  No...

Offline 1391406

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 09:39:14 »
Don't get me wrong, on a lot of other stuff they're fantastic...but when it comes to mech keyboards?  No...

I strongly disagree. The reviews on the sites I suggested aren't any less in-depth than half of the reviews posted here. The difference being that sites like PC World typically cover more mainstream (ie. popular) varieties(eg. Blackwidow, G710+, WASD, etc.), but reviewers on all of those sites are typically well-informed. Examples picked at random:

Anadtech: Code keyboard review

Anandtech: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Tom's Hardware: Gaming Keyboard Shootout.

PC World: Corsair K70 RGB Preview

PC World: Logitech G910 Preview

PC World: All About Mechanical Keyboards
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 09:41:26 by 1391406 »

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 11:03:58 »
why is this a ~10 page debate that got to the point of people using statistics
the blackwidow is a bad board in terms of build quality
OP's BW will break in a year or so and then he'll get a better board you don't need to convince him now

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK