Author Topic: Just downloaded firefox again  (Read 5204 times)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
Just downloaded firefox again
« on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 09:23:26 »
Was tired of how much memory Chrome uses, so I redownloaded firefox, but it wont let me log in to geekhack.  Keeps saying there was a problem please check your cookie settings.  Fresh install, and from what I can see it is set to accept cookies.

Offline Belfong

Re: Just downloaded firefox again
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 09:24:31 »
Before microsoft windows come in and suggest you use IE, may I interest you in Safari?

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 09:42:50 »
lol, +1

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:27:36 »
Try opera? It´s the fastest apart from chrome afaik
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Snigeln

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 11:00:21 »
Just download more RAM
HHKB Pro JP Ducky Mini Ducky G2Pro

Offline yomammary

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 13:09:46 »
How much RAM was it using?
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline belac

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 15:59:25 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 16:08:10 »

Knowing Chrome, all of it.

Did someone say memory leak?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 16:57:50 »
I'm just too adapted to firefox for my daily use..   color toggle + adblock + noscript

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 17:11:24 »
I stopped using Firefox a while ago due to its atrocious memory management, and excruciatingly slow performance (compared to Chrome).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 17:12:38 »
GH works great in palemoon.

I use it for anything that requires flash.

Offline tbc

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 23:45:42 »
I stopped using Firefox a while ago due to its atrocious memory management, and excruciatingly slow performance (compared to Chrome).

chrome's never had good memory management though.

multiprocess is a clever trick to make it look like you're more efficient.

when 1 chrome tab takes almost as much memory as 10 firefox tabs (both are a single process), isn't that a little worrying?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 01:57:05 »

when 1 chrome tab takes almost as much memory as 10 firefox tabs (both are a single process), isn't that a little worrying?

not reaaaally... since the new 6 cores are comin out, and then 8 cores... gonna have 12 and 16 threads... 

Offline tbc

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 02:07:32 »
did you quote the wrong person?

i said memory.

also we've have 12-16 core cpus for a while now.  that's alot of threads.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 03:33:47 »
did you quote the wrong person?

i said memory.

also we've have 12-16 core cpus for a while now.  that's alot of threads.

what do you mean WE...  I don't have you... do YOU ?   

MOST people don't got server stuff.. I only just got a dual -quadcore xeon- setup last year, and it's only westmere, freebie from equipment retiring..

Consumers are jussst getting into hex core with the Haswell E..

broadwell SHhhhould breach 4.8ghz on octo..  but current haswell e is kinda sluggish compared to the 4790...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 06:12:29 »

I've had Chrome tabs consuming GB RAM (mainly on GH for threads with lots of huge photos).  The PC crawls to a stop.  Close the tab and memory freed - everything back to normal.

Firefox takes ages to start, and does not free memory properly as it is single-threaded.  Sort of.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 06:47:39 »

I've had Chrome tabs consuming GB RAM (mainly on GH for threads with lots of huge photos).  The PC crawls to a stop.  Close the tab and memory freed - everything back to normal.

Firefox takes ages to start, and does not free memory properly as it is single-threaded.  Sort of.

what are your PC spex

Offline yomammary

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 07:06:28 »
I have 8gb at home and 24gb at work and never encountered memory leaks on Chrome. Might just be me I guess...
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline osi

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 08:13:53 »
..opens firefox...

Please wait while the latest update is installed...

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:21:52 »
..opens firefox...

That release cycle :(

I used mozilla and then firefox, but I never made the switch to 4.*

Then I switched to Opera but it had even worse memory management. I usually have a few hundred tabs open. Web browsing used up ~3-7 GB of RAM/swap. I tried midori for a while (and would load/unload tabs as I needed them) but it's too buggy to work.

Now I use Iron (chromium) for most things and palemoon (firefox) for media-things as it seems to work better for that sort of thing.

Offline osi

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:53:42 »
..opens firefox...

Then I switched to Opera but it had even worse memory management. I usually have a few hundred tabs open. Web browsing used up ~3-7 GB of RAM/swap. I tried midori for a while (and would load/unload tabs as I needed them) but it's too buggy to work.

Now I use Iron (chromium) for most things and palemoon (firefox) for media-things as it seems to work better for that sort of thing.

Yes -- chromium ftw!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 07:07:55 »

what are your PC spex

Paltry.

Offline tbc

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 09:57:53 »
..opens firefox...

firefox tab groups.

best feature ever.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 10:36:57 »
I hate wrestling with browsers, I recommend buying more ram.
[never had a problem with 8gb ram in any browser]

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 14:59:41 »
Its not that I was having 'problems' with Chrome.. I was just wanting to try Firefox again because I haven't in ages, and Chrome does love to use whatever RAM it can find.  But, I can't log in to Geekhack on Firefox (or waterfox) it says there was an error please log in again

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:31:09 »

Get 32GB of ram and be done with it.  After loading that much into your PC no browser can take away valuable ram from the system when it runs.

Currently using Firefox 32.0.1 and have on average up to 47 to 63 tabs opened (mainly due to successive Ebay pages) for browsing and purchases.  Never had it quit on me or slow down in any way BUT the trick is to permanently terminate Adobe Flash, do not have it installed in any browser or even use that piece of abortion masquerading as something essential to any internet experience.

Since I permanently deleted everything connected to Adobe from my system builds have never had crashes or freezing, like when I use to have with Adobe garbage installed all those years ago.

Be smart and never use anything connected to Adobe Corp and you should have a very reliable and pleasant internet experience.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:34:57 »

Get 32GB of ram and be done with it.  After loading that much into your PC no browser can take away valuable ram from the system when it runs.

Currently using Firefox 32.0.1 and have on average up to 47 to 63 tabs opened (mainly due to successive Ebay pages) for browsing and purchases.  Never had it quit on me or slow down in any way BUT the trick is to permanently terminate Adobe Flash, do not have it installed in any browser or even use that piece of abortion masquerading as something essential to any internet experience.

Since I permanently deleted everything connected to Adobe from my system builds have never had crashes or freezing, like when I use to have with Adobe garbage installed all those years ago.

Be smart and never use anything connected to Adobe Corp and you should have a very reliable and pleasant internet experience.

Nein!
Bad Advice!
Wait until DDR4.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:35:15 »
I've been using Firefox for like 10 years. Love it! :) used chrome for a couple months when it was in beta. Try ctrl alt del close it and reopen it. :/ not sure man.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:36:58 »
The rendering in the new chrome is pretty bad I gotta say.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:40:36 »

Nein!
Bad Advice!
Wait until DDR4.

What does Dance Dance Revolution have to do with all this?  :p
Are we going to dance while we wait for our computers to unfreeze  :))
(inb4 DDR4 is the new RAM. LOL dingus u freal?)
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 07:33:10 »
It went ddr2 and then ddr3 so I don't see how ddr4 is a stretch.
Also you'd have to upgrade your MOBO, so waiting until 4 is probably bad advice.
You're telling him to wait and rebuild his computer.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 07:35:11 »

Nein!
Bad Advice!
Wait until DDR4.

I remember Dance Dance Revolution..  I was less fat when I played it..

Offline Belfong

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 08:49:29 »
No love for Safari huh? It's available in Windows too, not just the premier Mac OS.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 17:34:17 »
No love for Safari huh? It's available in Windows too, not just the premier Mac OS.

Windows port of Safari is waaay out of date :(

Offline tbc

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 23:46:01 »

HUGE security risk

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:29:22 »
So NOBODY has a suggestion as to what is causing me to be unable to log in with Firefox?  Freshly installed, no add-ons or anything

Offline mreverything

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:33:56 »
Did you import settings from Chrome?

I've never had a problem with GH on Chromium or Firefox. I keep them updated through homebrew on OS X, but that's probably not helpful info.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:37:58 »
I worked it out.. had to manually adjust some settings and then delete my cookies to get rid of a corrupted cookie file.  Yay

Offline osi

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:39:52 »
So NOBODY has a suggestion as to what is causing me to be unable to log in with Firefox?  Freshly installed, no add-ons or anything

Wierd problem for sure. Try :

- launch firefox incognito mode and attempt to login to geekhack
- create a new firefox (user) profile ; launch firefox under newly created user ; attempt to login to geekhack
- log out of your OS ; log in as another user ; launch firefox and attempt to login to geekhack

Should give us some more clues about your situation

Offline Coreda

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:50:29 »

Strange, I've been using Firefox v25-28 for the past year and have had no such issues on my older Macbook (2GB memory, HDD) and Windows 8 box (8GB memory, SSD). Both open fast.

Opera 12 was once the best choice for lower spec'd systems, it's unfortunate they disbanded the team to focus on the Webkit/Blink engine.

Re: OP. You could also ask on the Mozilla IRC channel for help. I have on occasions and they can be knowledgeable about such issues.

Edit:

I worked it out.. had to manually adjust some settings and then delete my cookies to get rid of a corrupted cookie file.  Yay

Yay :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:52:20 by Coreda »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:53:18 »
i was just going to tell you to do that, no ****ing joke
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 14:12:03 »

Nein!
Bad Advice!
Wait until DDR4.

I remember Dance Dance Revolution..  I was less fat when I played it..

I played DDR and I was absolute **** at it.
I can't even believe I played a musical instrument too.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 20:11:19 »

Indeed lol.

Offline tbc

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 22:22:24 »
chrome user: "so memory efficient - only 300mb!!!" /nosarcasm

LAWL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:03:47 »

Indeed lol.
Show Image

But, if you close those tabs you get all the memory back straight away (more or less under Windows).

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 05:36:39 »

Indeed lol.
Show Image

But, if you close those tabs you get all the memory back straight away (more or less under Windows).
I had 5 tabs open. :)