Author Topic: Unicomp Releases Breast Cancer Awareness Board  (Read 3871 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Unicomp Releases Breast Cancer Awareness Board
« on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:35:36 »

THEY'RE RELEASING PINK ON WHITE BUCKLING SPRING KEYCAPS!!!!

I'm really excited and just had to share with everyone. More info can be found...

At Unicomp's website

Unicomp's Facebook page

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Unicomp Releases Breast Cancer Awareness Board
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 22:42:01 »
Just a question: what kind of cakes do they use? Would it still be sdl to ps/2 or would it be a standard usb?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 23:02:28 »
Very cool.  I really like that right shift key.  Bottom row seems wonky to me though.  1x winkey on the left and a 1.25 on the right, but next to the spacebar rather than outside of the Alt key. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 23:13:35 »
Very cool.  I really like that right shift key.  Bottom row seems wonky to me though.  1x winkey on the left and a 1.25 on the right, but next to the spacebar rather than outside of the Alt key.

Maybe pull the right windows key and spring and put on a 7x white spacebar.  Though not sure if they sell those by themselves yet.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 23:15:41 »
Not to wait for the scum that is the susan g komen foundation to try and do something because its pink.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 03:12:51 »
Pink!
Kinda sucks that they went with the Spacesaver case, not the Classic.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 03:39:36 »
So... what is the   Awareness-cause on this..

To get women to go get it checked out?

To sponsor women without insurance to get surgery?

To make people sympathetic / empathetic with those with breast-cancer ?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 06:18:48 »
So... what is the   Awareness-cause on this..

To get women to go get it checked out?

To sponsor women without insurance to get surgery?

To make people sympathetic / empathetic with those with breast-cancer ?

"Proceeds will be donated to help fund breast cancer research."
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 08:08:17 »
I really wish the new layout didn't look like that but I'm fairly sure it's easy to get a hold of a spacebar. Not sure why Unicomp went to that layout.

Offline Altis

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 08:51:20 »
Breast cancer gets an astronomical amount of money for it's research and support, while being among the most treatable. Not to sound like a jerk, but it would be nice if they could pick something that actually needs awareness and funding.

It's still a nice gesture and I respect that.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:02:23 »
Breast cancer gets an astronomical amount of money for it's research and support, while being among the most treatable. Not to sound like a jerk, but it would be nice if they could pick something that actually needs awareness and funding.

It's still a nice gesture and I respect that.

but womyn...

I do agree with your sentiment though.  It would be nice to see money going to pancreatic cancer or lung cancer (which is the second most common amongst men and women and has one of the highest mortality rates) instead of breast cancer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 September 2014, 10:49:18 by nubbinator »

Offline 1391406

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:27:56 »
Cancer research gets an astronomical amount of money in general and seems like a bottomless pit. If I were going to donate, it would be to research institutions that are actually making huge advances in the treatment of cancers with the highest mortality rates, such as the Burzynski Institute.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:36:35 »
Donate to the Arthritis Foundation.

Not usually a direct killer, but a huge problem area that is woefully underfunded.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline engicoder

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 10:28:39 »
Donate to the Arthritis Foundation.

Not usually a direct killer, but a huge problem area that is woefully underfunded.
Found that out personally. I  developed sever osteoarthritis in knees and hips suddenly.at age 40 and Drs just shrug and say "it happens" at tell me to wait for replacements.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 10:57:02 »
I really wish the new layout didn't look like that but I'm fairly sure it's easy to get a hold of a spacebar. Not sure why Unicomp went to that layout.
To save monies IIRC.

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:29:28 »
Maybe you caught me on a bad day but this sucks.  Even the Kentucky Wildcats board they released a few years back was more of an effort than this.  The way I read this: "Our lame ass brilliant white keycap boards are collecting dust - so now we've got to come up with something to move them - I know - lets cater to peoples emotions and make them feel better about themselves while moving some of these keycaps at the same time?"

There must be a bunch of guys with their feet up drinking whisky and ROFL'ing every time they (rarely) come out with another half ass effort.  Like - who of the three stooges can get more of a rise out of the buckling spring fans.

I won't even talk about the SSK - I'm sure they will come out with a compact buckling spring - only to deliver it with the most atrocious unfriendly layout you've ever seen - complete with 2KRO.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 14:03:49 »
Personally, I'd rather see a Breast Awareness Board. I'm really not crazy about the looks of this one.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:14:07 »
Not sure why Unicomp went to that layout.
So they could use the same barrel plate and membranes for winkeyless keyboards, I suppose.

Breast cancer gets an astronomical amount of money for it's research and support, while being among the most treatable.
It is also the most common among women. I think it would even out if you count per patient.

With cancer, it is more easily treated the earlier it is detected. If left to grow, it could spread throughout the body, invading the liver, brain, pancreas and/or lungs where it rarely develops on its own and where it is more difficult to treat.
I hope that the funds will lead to better detection methods that could be used for easier screening. The current method: Mammography, involves x-raying each breast while it is squeezed between two glass plates. X-rays are not very healthy, and a lot of women avoid mammography because it is so uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:17:36 by Findecanor »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:16:06 »
Maybe you caught me on a bad day but this sucks.  Even the Kentucky Wildcats board they released a few years back was more of an effort than this.  The way I read this: "Our lame ass brilliant white keycap boards are collecting dust - so now we've got to come up with something to move them - I know - lets cater to peoples emotions and make them feel better about themselves while moving some of these keycaps at the same time?"

There must be a bunch of guys with their feet up drinking whisky and ROFL'ing every time they (rarely) come out with another half ass effort.  Like - who of the three stooges can get more of a rise out of the buckling spring fans.

I won't even talk about the SSK - I'm sure they will come out with a compact buckling spring - only to deliver it with the most atrocious unfriendly layout you've ever seen - complete with 2KRO.

what i dont get it, they can do this but not give us red alert?!?!?!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:20:09 »
Take a look at that Caps Lock key. And most others aren't any better...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:21:14 »
Bottom right justify this, center bottom justify that, throw in a little left 1/3 top justified. That's it. Perfection.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:43:45 »
So, it's like typing on a cloud of...wait, never mind.

On a serious note, it's insane how much many of the CEOs of American Heart Assoc, American Cancer Society, etc make. And the amount that's taken out of donations for "administration and marketing" is also enormous.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 19:35:24 »
what i dont get it, they can do this but not give us red alert?!?!?!

What do you mean?  They have Blue Alert, Red Alert and APL key sets available.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 00:44:05 »
Since I'm geting sick of the whole Breast Cancer thing, as well as the ALS ice bucket challenge.

Does each keycap  have a nipple on it?

Offline tbc

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 01:44:10 »
So, it's like typing on a cloud of...wait, never mind.

On a serious note, it's insane how much many of the CEOs of American Heart Assoc, American Cancer Society, etc make. And the amount that's taken out of donations for "administration and marketing" is also enormous.

individual donations to charities is literally paying the ceo and execs' bonuses.  should we make a donation drive for kfc?  same thing in reality.

donate TIME to charities (so you see the people you want to help), not money.

- source, **** you find out when you volunteer
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.