Author Topic: GTX 980!  (Read 10219 times)

Offline Willy

Re: GTX 980!
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 18:39:07 »
7.1 billion transistor vs 5

the 980 is a toy..   780ti is the real deal.
With those power savings, you'll be able to sleep through your over-night renders without ear-plugs.
But soon it could be the time to grab up a second used 780ti for quite the cost-effective boost if you're already lucky enough to be sitting on one.
QFR - Blues

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:15:52 »
Ah, another big-ass brick. You know, there have actually been reports of these things being so heavy that the shear forces start to bend and crack motherboards after a couple of years. #urbanlegends

no it's real..

but the motherboard doesn't crack.. it's the PCIE port   overtime it will rip it in half.. like for realzies..  rip in HALF..

This was the second reason I bought the case I did.  The video card hangs vertcally from the top of the case.  The bottom has 3 180mm fans that just shoves all the heat straight up and out.  Plus it takes 95% of the weight of the card off the slot.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:26:29 »
Ah, another big-ass brick. You know, there have actually been reports of these things being so heavy that the shear forces start to bend and crack motherboards after a couple of years. #urbanlegends

no it's real..

but the motherboard doesn't crack.. it's the PCIE port   overtime it will rip it in half.. like for realzies..  rip in HALF..

This was the second reason I bought the case I did.  The video card hangs vertcally from the top of the case.  The bottom has 3 180mm fans that just shoves all the heat straight up and out.  Plus it takes 95% of the weight of the card off the slot.

LOL, You n00b..

You can take Any case with flat sides.. and have it sit on the front..  thus achieving the same orientation you've sought.

HOWEVER,  do note that GPU coolers that have heat pipes are designed to face either Down, Or Up..   NOT vertical.

The reason is  the liquid in the pipe moves more efficiently in the correct orientation..    Whereas, if the card was hung..  the liquid will pool at an end that takes longer for it to wick back to the hot section of the pipe..   

The difference is usually around 5 Celcius  between vertical and horizontal.

IDEALLY, you'd want the gpu facing UP.. that way the liquid will most efficiently cycle back to the CORE.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:36:20 »
I have an aftermarket cooler on mine, so even with a 5° dissadvantage over proper orientation I am still running cooler than a stop setup in proper orientation.

I will never run a performance video card for long on stock cooler after my experience with the 280.  For me the cost of an aftermarket cooler far exceeds the extra lifetime gained from cooler operating temps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 02:07:28 »
Considering you can get the 290 for $400 and 290x for $480ish  both w/ 3 free games.. (good games)

Probably a better deal than 980..

Again.. this is politically motivated,  as I don't want intel becoming the new world order. Umbrella corporation... dun dunn dunnnnn....
Show Image

You know you have a good point. Still 28nm fab.
I wanted to get a new monitor and gfx card but now that I think about it ... Might be a good idea to old off on a new monitor for DP 1.3 to kick in and wait for the Pascal/Volta micro-architecture,
Maybe that freesynch stuff might actually be good (still wouldn't hold my breath though)

« Last Edit: Sun, 21 September 2014, 02:11:28 by the1onewolf »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 02:22:45 »
Looks pretty nice.. My card is a couple years old.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 06:53:26 »
I have an aftermarket cooler on mine, so even with a 5° dissadvantage over proper orientation I am still running cooler than a stop setup in proper orientation.

I will never run a performance video card for long on stock cooler after my experience with the 280.  For me the cost of an aftermarket cooler far exceeds the extra lifetime gained from cooler operating temps.

I don't want to come off as a negative-nelly.. but these are well trodden paths in hobby hardware

the card will be obsolete well before it reaches life expectancy.....  this is the same reason why water cooling CPUs has become meaningless...

You can make an argument for aftermarket if you're going for Higher overclock.. but  almost all AIR cooled solutions on graphics cards are wholly inadequate because they are all designed while holding on to a Fatal Flaw..

Blowing air _ towards the card.. THis is STUPID...   They wised up for CPUs, but because graphics cards still occupy that archaic shape and orientation, it must have a slot cooler..

Meanwhile.. This is the PROPER way to cool your graphics card..

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 09:52:47 »
Why skip 800 series :I #800seriesthedream
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 10:17:27 »
Why skip 800 series :I #800seriesthedream

probably because they don't want it compared to the Nvidia 8800 series  which were Pivotal game changers @ the time from 7900gtx   almost 50% boost in performance..

the 980 is a very small increment from 7xx...  ~10-20%

it's kind of like retiring jersey numbers in sports.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 05:59:58 »
My GTX 275 had temps around 85°c under load with a stock cooler, whereas a pretty cheap 3-fan aftermarket solution got that down to 60°c and much less when idle, including a decent overclock.

Those single-fan, blow out the back plastic encased coolers are just lousy enough that even a LOL physics solution will make a marked difference. Nice custom job though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:25:33 »
My GTX 275 had temps around 85°c under load with a stock cooler, whereas a pretty cheap 3-fan aftermarket solution got that down to 60°c and much less when idle, including a decent overclock.

Those single-fan, blow out the back plastic encased coolers are just lousy enough that even a LOL physics solution will make a marked difference. Nice custom job though.

the reason they keep the single fan solution as reference is because so many people have poor airflow in their case, 

so if they used the triple fan type,  the case would heat up so badly, everything would burn down.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:40:06 »

the reason they keep the single fan solution as reference is because so many people have poor airflow in their case, 

so if they used the triple fan type,  the case would heat up so badly, everything would burn down.

unless you're gigabyte and you're absolutely sure your triple fans won't do it! lol
EVGA isn't as hardcore yet, only 2 fans for them

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:05:11 »

unless you're gigabyte and you're absolutely sure your triple fans won't do it! lol
EVGA isn't as hardcore yet, only 2 fans for them

my point is.. they have to assume you have crappy airflow (for reference) to not burn down people's computers.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:59:30 »
if anyone wants to buy me like one or four i wont deny ur offer
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:30:50 »

you can't just say that ,  I'm sure people would buy it for you if you had a compelling reason..

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:34:59 »
btw the GTX 970 from EVGA has a faulty heatsink design
1 of the 3 heatsink pipes barely touches the core.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:39:42 »
btw the GTX 970 from EVGA has a faulty heatsink design
1 of the 3 heatsink pipes barely touches the core.

this is good news..  wonder if i can snap one up for cheapee...  and mod it with my cpu coolers...

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:45:56 »

you can't just say that ,  I'm sure people would buy it for you if you had a compelling reason..
well i fell downhill at about the speed of a car recently and everything hurts like hell (true story) and also i am super cool so i think i deserve them because i am good (shoutouts to people that think this, every single one of me)
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:53:02 »

well i fell downhill at about the speed of a car recently and everything hurts like hell (true story) and also i am super cool so i think i deserve them because i am good (shoutouts to people that think this, every single one of me)

This doesn't count

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:02:55 »

This doesn't count

(Attachment Link)
hey can you find a gif of a guy with his entire right arm covered in blood n ****
thats a more accurate representation
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:04:03 »

This doesn't count

(Attachment Link)
hey can you find a gif of a guy with his entire right arm covered in blood n ****

ok... i can imagine how the blood happened..  explain how the p00 got there.   LOLOL

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:38:58 »

This doesn't count

(Attachment Link)

ok... i can imagine how the blood happened..  explain how the p00 got there.   LOLOL
thats now how u do "life ****s on u" analogies
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:50:21 »

This doesn't count

(Attachment Link)

thats now how u do "life ****s on u" analogies

ok.. reason accepted...   that's new lingo to me.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 21:04:05 »
Are they going to make a ti edition of these cards?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 21:23:23 »
Eagerly awaiting the release of some non reference 980s, though I'm half tempted to get another 780 instead now that they're so cheap.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 21:56:05 »
Eagerly awaiting the release of some non reference 980s, though I'm half tempted to get another 780 instead now that they're so cheap.

yea that didn't last long..

haha..  7970 pretty much held the longest $200-300 I've ever seen.. thx to bitcoin.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 10:24:03 »

haha..  7970 pretty much held the longest $200-300 I've ever seen.. thx to bitcoin.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html
amazing eVGA QC!

and i was THIS CLOSE to getting one this past weekend lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:19:18 »

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html
amazing eVGA QC!
Show Image

The only reason I can think of to get new monster cards, is to enable SSAA on games..

SSAA looks so good.... but the cost is enormous..  MSAA looks so crappy and over-sharpens to the point that you lose depth on complicated objects like trees..

4x titan black w/the 6gb ram actually makes sense if you want say.. 8x ssaa on 25x16..

but then go 4k, and you're SOL again.. LOLOLOL...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:09:14 »

amazing eVGA QC!
Show Image

Wouldn't matter to me.  I would have an aftermarket cooler on it inside of a week.  But I am the exception that doesn't have an issue changing the warranty.  Plus last I checked checked, changing the cooler does not technically void the warranty on EVGA cards.  But to have the warranty honored the stock cooler has to be put back on.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:14:32 »

amazing eVGA QC!
Show Image

Wouldn't matter to me.  I would have an aftermarket cooler on it inside of a week.  But I am the exception that doesn't have an issue changing the warranty.  Plus last I checked checked, changing the cooler does not technically void the warranty on EVGA cards.  But to have the warranty honored the stock cooler has to be put back on.

yeah but most of the people don't buy aftermarket coolers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:31:05 »

amazing eVGA QC!
Show Image

yeah but most of the people don't buy aftermarket coolers.

the water cooler is best.. with the dwood bracket.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:37:09 »
It is always fun to follow when new techs comes out and how well it performs. Though for now, my GTX 760 will do.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 05:31:26 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ