Author Topic: I bought a DAS keyboard Professional S, Did I do wrong?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline shrub77

I bought a DAS keyboard Professional S, Did I do wrong?
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:58:35 »
I bought a Das professional model S blue for $100, brand new from their site (they offer a student discount)

I have been doing my research after the fact, and I have read that the quality of the keyboard has degraded over the last few years, problems with the spacebar etc. I have never owned a mechanical keyboard before, so I am oblivious to the more subtle issues.

Has anybody used/is using this keyboard before? Any problems, experiences, all that good stuff. I am considering sending it back if it doesn't preform like a $100 keyboard should or if the quality is worth the $100.

Thanks
Shrub

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: I bought a DAS keyboard Professional S, Did I do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:03:45 »
You have a picture of it? Or does it have the Blue media keys and FN key?

If so, this one was considered a downgrade from the previous iteration which did not have these keys. With that being said, I truly don't estimate you'll have any problems with it. The people here are fanatics, and any little thing different from the norm is considered detrimental to the quality of the board, but the truth is, for the average person, I don't there is any issue to be had.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:04:59 »
That being said, there are probably better keyboards to spend $100, depending on what you're looking for. Personally, I had a daskeyboard as my first mechanical keyboard. I loved it when I bought it, but after awhile, the glossy case I grew to dislike significantly. I find the case to be the biggest drawback to the board.

Offline shrub77

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:08:20 »
Yes, it is most likely the newest model with the blue keys and the FN button. I am not a fanatic, but perhaps the propaganda from this site has influenced my thinking. I am sure this will be a good keyboard, I just have my doubts now.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:09:23 »
If you enjoy the feel of it, then use it. That's what matters the most in my opinion. But really, it comes down to what matters most to you.

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:25:34 »
The first mechanical keyboard I've used was the older model das. It felt really solid and everything was fine. The only drawback is that dust magnet case. I'm sure the das is still a solid keyboard but if you were to worry about something, it would be that case :P
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 19:53:56 »
Don't worry. My first mechanical keyboard is a blackwidow.

Offline divito

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 20:12:57 »
My first mechanical was a Das Ultimate with blues. Mine has held up very well to my abuse and daily use before I started to acquire other keyboards. I can't personally speak to the newer models and any QC issues or problems, but I should think that it is more than sufficient for your first foray into the mechanical keyboard world.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 21:07:58 »
well,, it's not the WORST start you could have ..

but  some redeeming is in order...

House of Egdx welcomes you..

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 23:56:26 »
I was about to get the Das Keyboard Professional for Mac but I just changed my mind because of the glossy case. I have oily/sweaty palms so that's my personal preference. From what I heard and watched, Das makes some nice keyboards especially the Professional/Ultimate 4 that came out. I hope it works out for you buddy  ;)
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown